Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Legion Hoops
@LegionHoops
·
4m
Steve Ballmer:

“We’re working on a Clippers season pass. You buy a season ticket, you sell it if you’re not going. I don’t like that. That’s how we get the other teams fans. A season pass, like Netflix, you can share it with 3-4 people. You can’t sell that.”
Timeshare seats?
I would be down with, if I cant use my seats they go into a pool for poor kids. But tbo other teams fans have helped to pay for my season tickets for 30 + years.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It sounds like the Suns could be penalized for having three stars.

I don't think that's the case. Laying out clear rules regarding healthy scratches has been needed for a while, IMO. It sucks to go to a game and the opposing team's star isn't playing because of l"oad management".

Seems there's been details released....

ESPN Source

Teams must manage their roster to ensure that no more than one star player is unavailable for the same game.

Teams must insure that star players are available for national television and in-season tournament games.

Teams must maintain a balance between the number of one-game absences for a star player in home games and road games -- with a preference for those absences to happen in home games.

Teams must refrain from any long-term shutdown -- or near shutdown -- when a star player stops participating in games or plays in a materially reduced role in circumstances affecting the integrity of the game.

Teams must insure that healthy players resting for a game are present and visible to fans.

The NBA will provide several scenarios for excused absences on missed games -- including those involving regular-season back-to-back scenarios, sources said. For example, the NBA will allow pre-approved designated back-to-back allowances for players who are 35 years old on opening night or have career workloads of 34,000 regular-season minutes or 1,000 regular season/playoff games combined, sources said

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's the case. Laying out clear rules regarding healthy scratches has been needed for a while, IMO. It sucks to go to a game and the opposing team's star isn't playing because of l"oad management".

ESPN Source

I think we are going to see a lot more stars listed as injured with the new load management rules. And it wouldn't be hard to do, as players often try to play through injuries all season.

I think it will mostly affect those teams that blatantly defy the rules.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is disgusting. I know the NBA has to do their investigation, but he needs to be out of the league for good if true

The league needs to come down hard on this. They are quickly developing a reputation the NFL gained when they had so many players involved in domestic violence situations. Unfortunately they gave Miles Bridges a slap on the wrist for doing the same thing Kevin Porter Jr did. Miles will be returning to the league this year after serving 10 more games, he received a 30 game suspension and the league ruled 20 of those games were served last year. He was extended a qualifying offer before his charges and was expecting a huge payday but he sat out the year without a deal, signing that this off-season.

Maybe since a WNBA player was involved the league will take it more seriously but she had been out of the league since 2022 and only played in 1 season.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

ESPN Source

If we had some sort of thing like employers do to us regular people where we have PTO and Sick days. Some sort of allotted pool of hours teams could use.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we had some sort of thing like employers do to us regular people where we have PTO and Sick days. Some sort of allotted pool of hours teams could use.

They work 7-8 months out of the year for millions of dollars. They're allowed sick time, basically. They just aren't allowed personal time. They're entertainers. I don't imagine movie stars are allowed to skip premieres or press junkets they signed up for because they have another job starting soon that pays more and want to be well rested for that.

I don't see the issue with fining teams for resting guys. I don't get a discount on League Pass or Tickets because Giannis didn't dress for the Suns/Bucks games. Those are the games I look forward to the most, against other stars. So if fining dissuades that from happening, cool.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Good.

I was super excited for the Suns Lakers game last year, all the Lakers stars were healthy, thought I'd get to see LeBron in person, was looking forward to the insanity of Westbrook and instead I got this...

What a load of trash.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, that is Grant Gondrezick's daughter. Hope he gets the maximum penalty.

Hopefully whatever money the Rockets are forced to pay him before shredding his contract ends up going to her.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hopefully whatever money the Rockets are forced to pay him before shredding his contract ends up going to her.

Luckily for the Rockets every year of the deal they gave him is non-guaranteed. They owe him ~15mil before whatever punishment the league levies, but they get to wipe their hands of the remaining 82mil.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
The league needs to come down hard on this. They are quickly developing a reputation the NFL gained when they had so many players involved in domestic violence situations. Unfortunately they gave Miles Bridges a slap on the wrist for doing the same thing Kevin Porter Jr did. Miles will be returning to the league this year after serving 10 more games, he received a 30 game suspension and the league ruled 20 of those games were served last year. He was extended a qualifying offer before his charges and was expecting a huge payday but he sat out the year without a deal, signing that this off-season.

Maybe since a WNBA player was involved the league will take it more seriously but she had been out of the league since 2022 and only played in 1 season.
Seriously though, what is the NBA going to do about it after letting Bridges off the hook? It's a bad look either way. If they throw the book at Porter, then they are basically as much as admitting they only take it seriously when it's not a star player. I'm not sure that qualifies as any less horrible than not doing anything at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I mean by playmaker. He can create for himself but isn't capable of creating offense for others that well despite being a PG. He's no Steve Nash or Chris Paul but he doesn't need to be either. His shooting opens the floor for others but he doesn't share the ball a lot. Part of that his role since Kerr used Draymond to initiate offense for everyone but I think Curry needed to add that to his game if he wanted to go down as the top PG ever conversation. He's done quite well as is so really hasn't been a necessity, largely thanks to coaching.

So how do you explain that when Steph is on the court the Warriors had the best offense in basketball, and when he was off the court they had one of the worst offenses in basketball? The best lineup in the NBA last year was Draymond, Looney, Klay, Wiggins and Steph. That's not an opinion it's based on scoring margin when on the court. Love Looney and Draymond but a 5 with 2 non scorers was the best lineup in the NBA last year, almost entirely because of Steph. He's so good that defenses give up things to other players to try and stop him.

For his career he's at 6.5 APG, that's on a team that's based on ball movement so it's not set up for him to get lots of assists. If you tracked hockey assists he'd be at or near the lead every year because teams double him he hits Draymond who then hits the open shooter for a bucket.

Not as good as prime Magic I will agree but I think part of being a playmaker is making others better and frankly he does that as well as anybody else in the NBA right now because of the "gravity" that everyone talks about with him.