2023-24 Around the NBA Thread

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stinks is not the right word, I agree. He has talent in the game of basketball.

However, despite that talent, his impact is a net negative and 'repeating his past' will likely find him on the waiver wire.

He is a ball hog to the extreme, he doesn't defend, he doesn't rebound. The only time he is not doing damage to his own team is if he is on fire as a shooter. He is Gerald Green... but a "center".

He's been a net negative throughout his career, teams are worse when he is on the court, his problems are ball hogging, glory seeking and zero attention to parts of basketball that have an impact. I think playing in LA will only exacerbate those issues.

I imagine LA will either staple him to the bench early in the season because they've realized why he was totally unwanted or that he will become next season's dramatic LA pariah. Him getting benched or cut is far more likely though.

Long story short, as a Suns fan, I like this signing... I just wish they were more committed so it could screw them over worse in the long run.

Weird too because out of HS he was underrecruited and sort of "blew up" in college. So you would think he'd appreciate being an underdog but instead he acts like the guy who was a star his whole life. Marvin Bagley jr yeah you can understand why he is what he is, but Wood, doesn't compute.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think if every team is healthy (which won’t be the case) the Suns and Lakers are the two best teams in the west.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not sold on the Lakers as a top team.

They had to beat the Wolves in OT just to get into the playoffs.

They beat an imploding and injured Grizz team.

They struggled their way past a Golden State team that similarly barely made the playoffs, would have lost that series if Poole and Klay Thompson hadn't both completely forgotten how to play basketball at the same time.

Then they got blasted by the Nuggets in 4.

LeBron is a year older and injuries are starting to pile up. Davis is still Davis.

I think they will, again, 5th seed or lower, and that is if they stay healthy. If LeBron or Davis go out they're going to suck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They struggled their way past a Golden State team that similarly barely made the playoffs, would have lost that series if Poole and Klay Thompson hadn't both completely forgotten how to play basketball at the same time.

LeBron is a year older and injuries are starting to pile up. Davis is still Davis.

I think they will, again, 5th seed or lower, and that is if they stay healthy. If LeBron or Davis go out they're going to suck.
Struggled their way past GS… despite being the underdog in the series, winning in 6 without HCA and with two of their wins coming by 30 and 20 points?

That doesn’t look like a struggle to me.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Struggled their way past GS… despite being the underdog in the series, winning in 6 without HCA and with two of their wins coming by 30 and 20 points?

That doesn’t look like a struggle to me.

Jordan Poole was practically a mole, Klay was horrid and, again, Golden State also barely made the playoffs.

Their run did not impress me. I think it's more likely that they find themselves as a play-in team than a top 3 seed.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

They improved during the off-season and their best players miss as many games as ours.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They improved during the off-season and their best players miss as many games as ours.

I'm not wild about our injury potential either, but James used to be a tank and is now clearly struggling to stay on the court. Once it goes, it goes fast, I think his problems are only going to get worse.

And I don't trust Davis as far as I can throw him.

I also think a lot of the guys they signed are getting way to much hype simply because they're now Lakers. Hayes flat out sucks, Wood is a cancer, is Gabe Vincent the stud we saw here and there in the playoffs or is he the fringe rotation guy he's been for most of his career?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not wild about our injury potential either, but James used to be a tank and is now clearly struggling to stay on the court. Once it goes, it goes fast, I think his problems are only going to get worse.

I also think a lot of the guys they signed are getting way to much hype simply because they're now Lakers. Hayes flat out sucks, Wood is a cancer, is Gabe Vincent the stud we saw here and there in the playoffs or is he the fringe rotation guy he's been for most of his career?

I agree with you on questioning Vincent and Wood but I like Hayes and think he'll prove to be a solid backup. I still don't see LA finishing in the top 4 in the West. I can't see them making the WCF again as constructed. I won't write them off entirely because there's a chance they make a crazy trade that catapults them towards the top of the west but that's not likely. I like their depth behind LeBron and AD but I can't see those guys making a difference in April or May when games matter.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure where the Lakers finish this coming season, but I see them as improved, and that team made it to the Western Conference Finals.

They didn't trade for Rui Hachimura until January and didn't trade Westbrook to Utah until near the trade deadline. Their regular season record did not accurately reflect their new additions.

Now add their moves this past summer and they look to be even better.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best free agent available is Kelly Oubre. Wherever he goes, he will want to build his value.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best free agent available is Kelly Oubre. Wherever he goes, he will want to build his value.

It says a lot that Charlotte doesn't want him back.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Last time he was a tank was 2017-2018. He's been struggling for a while now, he's played 55 games a season for the last 5 seasons, thats enough to take one season off and miss 50 games in another season.

This is my speculation/opinion/judgement, whatever you may call it...

but since he and his son were on PEDS, now with the kid coming down with heart complications due to PEDS, the king stops using, falls off this year dramatically. Age card comes out.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Last time he was a tank was 2017-2018. He's been struggling for a while now, he's played 55 games a season for the last 5 seasons, thats enough to take one season off and miss 50 games in another season.

This is my speculation/opinion/judgement, whatever you may call it...

but since he and his son were on PEDS, now with the kid coming down with heart complications due to PEDS, the king stops using, falls off this year dramatically. Age card comes out.

Has it been proven Bronny or LeBron use PED's? I know it's been suspected but no evidence. Bronny's heart issue was said to be a congenital heart defect that was undected from birth.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has it been proven Bronny or LeBron use PED's? I know it's been suspected but no evidence. Bronny's heart issue was said to be a congenital heart defect that was undected from birth.

I dont think it will ever be proven.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
In all honestly, the wild swing on the opinion of KD... and reactions to said opinions, is obviously a lot of the discord here.

Prior to KD putting in a trade request to join the Suns, if someone here called him a thin skinned weirdo who, while being a fantastic player, is too injury prone to be relied upon, I doubt the opinion would have been challenged by virtually anyone. A year later, he is on the Suns... in the interim he also suffered 2 long injuries, got a coach fired (not counting Monty), put in 2 trade requests and has had more episodes of being a thin skinned weirdo online... and to espouse that opinion now makes you a hater, or to some, even someone who wants the Suns to fail.

I desperately want the Suns to win.

I also still think Durant is a thin skinned weirdo who is too injury prone to be relied upon...

But I do hope he can stay healthy when we need him to and that he can be a huge factor in winning us a title.
I would have been the lone defender. However, aside from the beef with Barkley, KD is getting more media savvy. I have seen a lot of tweets and Instagrams of practices, him attending sporting events, big social events, positive interviews, etc. I think during the time frame you are referring to, KD himself has been trying to put a positive spin on his reputation. He's kind of approaching the Snoop Dog, being seen everywhere, and being the fun guy in the room guy.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I am still putting Denver first because they are the Champs until proven otherwise, us, then the Lakers/Golden State.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boban Marjanovic is to sign a 1-year deal with the Rockets.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd:“Steph Curry's career has been discounted. LeBron has an army that will defend him as the greatest ever but if you include Steph in the Top 10, you get pushback. 'Well he can't defend!' Did you ever watch Magic or Bird defend? Steph has never been given the respect he deserves. He is one of one.”

I get Curry is under rated. Bird or Magic didn't defend? WTF? Magic played Center in a playoff game and defended his A$$ off. Havlicek stole the ball was one of the most iconic calls in NBA history, followed years later by Bird stole the ball! I am over simplifying it, but C'mon Cowherd....

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Colin Cowherd:“Steph Curry's career has been discounted. LeBron has an army that will defend him as the greatest ever but if you include Steph in the Top 10, you get pushback. 'Well he can't defend!' Did you ever watch Magic or Bird defend? Steph has never been given the respect he deserves. He is one of one.”

I get Curry is under rated. Bird or Magic didn't defend? WTF? Magic played Center in a playoff game and defended his A$$ off. Havlicek stole the ball was one of the most iconic calls in NBA history, followed years later by Bird stole the ball! I am over simplifying it, but C'mon Cowherd....

Curry is often called the greatest shooter ever. He's not the overall greatest player because he's not a great defender and an average playmaker, at best. He's still considered the #2 or #3 PG ever and that's fair. He's not Magic. He won't surpass him but I think he's top 10 and would be surprised to see much debate about that. He does fall closer to 10 than 5 but I don't see that as a knock on him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curry is often called the greatest shooter ever. He's not the overall greatest player because he's not a great defender and an average playmaker, at best. He's still considered the #2 or #3 PG ever and that's fair. He's not Magic. He won't surpass him but I think he's top 10 and would be surprised to see much debate about that. He does fall closer to 10 than 5 but I don't see that as a knock on him.
All of this except this part "an average playmaker". Not sure what you mean by that. Curry seems like one of the best in the biz at hitting big shots when you need them. Do you mean in terms of getting others involved?