2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see history and math are not strong points.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I see history and math are not strong points.

Technically he's correct. All 4 games we lost, except game 2 where we lost by 10, could be considered blowouts.

The difference he's ignoring is that we beat them more than any other team in the playoffs.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I really, really hope that the Suns aren't going to make force-feeding Ayton part of their gameplan. He's tentative and awkward, has bad hands, and instinctively moves away from the hoop rather than toward it. When he gets off to a good start, it's because the opposition is more focused on the Suns' superior options, and momentarily forgets about the few things that Ayton can do well. Once the defense adjusts, he's close to useless.

Now, if he could somehow get into his head that he needs to attack the basket when given the opportunity, and go through people rather than around them, we might have something. But the Suns don't have the luxury of experimenting with whether Ayton can figure that out during actual games.
I thought we needed an advanced metric for Ayton based on lobs into the post versus his actual scoring on a play, that would account for him turning over the ball on those lobs in. It is misleading when they say a guy finishes X percent down low, when he turns it over just as many times.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Technically he's correct. All 4 games we lost, except game 2 where we lost by 10, could be considered blowouts.

The difference he's ignoring is that we beat them more than any other team in the playoffs.
Had we won that game we were up in late when CP3 got injured, he would be singing a different tune. That said, they were more athletic, and played better pressure defense on us that lead to easy scores for them. Kudos to them, I don't begrudge them anything. They won it by bullying us on defense, and we couldn't counter. This season, I see some really good contests between us and them. We are way more athletic than we were last season. I honestly think with the defensive minded guys we have, and our coach willing to employ a more aggressive defensive strategy where he's coached before, we can give them back a bit of their own medicine. Should make for good games to watch.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
We would have to get him for 2-3 mil vet minimum. At that low price, as a potential back up with "maybe" upside left, might be a good swing.

Aside from Gordon, Suns seem to want to go younger more athletic, though.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Suns hire Jeff Chieng as new chief marketing officer formerly of Gatorade.

Brilliant! Here's how you get some of that Luxury and Apron money back! Ishbia business 101. Step 1: Expand your market (Show Suns games for free.) Step Two: Turn viewership into dollars! Marketing opportunities for sponsorships, collaborations, merchandise, etc!

I LOVE this move! Let's not be an NBA clone and just sell and market like every other team. Push some boundaries! :)

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton just needs to stay out of foul trouble, protect the rim, get rebounds. The rest is gravy! We need him to eat minutes at the center position. Stay on the court.
That's the problem he plays soft to stay out of foul trouble. Just tell him to play hard screw the fouls.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's the problem he plays soft to stay out of foul trouble. Just tell him to play hard screw the fouls.
Most of the time I saw Aton far from the basket setting picks. Not just one pick then roll but it seemed he was just focused on freeing up the ball handler. I think this was a monti thing as it didn’t appear to be a pick and roll play as their was very little rolling going on.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of the time I saw Aton far from the basket setting picks. Not just one pick then roll but it seemed he was just focused on freeing up the ball handler. I think this was a monti thing as it didn’t appear to be a pick and roll play as their was very little rolling going on.
I'm talking about on the defensive side. Jock was OK last year but Biz could not hit FT's. This year the Suns have three new players and Duant to play under the basket. And I'm not counting Boo Boo

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Monty Williams did plenty of coaching, and tried to include Ayton the entire time
I don't think this is true at all. He gave up on him, and I believe instructed the guards not to feed him very often, because of his high turnover rate.

Even when Ayton was the best player on the floor we would still not actively try to get him the ball - and yes I think that is coaching.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I don't think this is true at all. He gave up on him, and I believe instructed the guards not to feed him very often, because of his high turnover rate.

Even when Ayton was the best player on the floor we would still not actively try to get him the ball - and yes I think that is coaching.
That's funny because Monty got hired right away and yet there isn't one single team that wanted DA - but anyways time will tell - and when it does you won't see me blaming Frank Vogel

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think every team wanted him but didn't want to pay him.
Which would suggest Ayton is grossly overpaid

Look - it is what it is - and if Ayton's still on the roster when we enter the playoffs Vogel better have a contingency plan - consisting of what to do when Ayton not only checks out - but also for what it does to the team's vibe during crunch time

I'd personally hope Vogel sends DeAndre to the locker room the minute he starts pulling that toddler ish

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I really don't like how our season hinges on Ayton buying in. We can win without him during the regular season but we should move him this off-season so we have a full season to build something for the playoffs rather than highlight him for a trade the first half and move him at the deadline so we can hope everyone meshes in time for a postseason run, again.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's funny because Monty got hired right away and yet there isn't one single team that wanted DA - but anyways time will tell - and when it does you won't see me blaming Frank Vogel
It's simply not true that no team wants DA.

The Suns just valued him more than the offers they got.

I really don't like how our season hinges on Ayton buying in. We can win without him during the regular season but we should move him this off-season so we have a full season to build something for the playoffs rather than highlight him for a trade the first half and move him at the deadline so we can hope everyone meshes in time for a postseason run, again.

I don't think it does - he was checked out last playoffs and we still could have won it all with the addition of Beal IMO.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
I really, really hope that the Suns aren't going to make force-feeding Ayton part of their gameplan. He's tentative and awkward, has bad hands, and instinctively moves away from the hoop rather than toward it. When he gets off to a good start, it's because the opposition is more focused on the Suns' superior options, and momentarily forgets about the few things that Ayton can do well. Once the defense adjusts, he's close to useless.

Now, if he could somehow get into his head that he needs to attack the basket when given the opportunity, and go through people rather than around them, we might have something. But the Suns don't have the luxury of experimenting with whether Ayton can figure that out during actual games.
Agree in principle. I believe with CP3 and Monty gone, Vogel will change game plans around pick and roll with Ayton. Ayton is a good facilitator when going outside to either set picks or catch a pass and hand it to guards. I noticed however that after the pick both CP3 and Book always go around sideways, as if to show that the preferred finish is either CP/Book shoot a midranger or DA does. Now they should mix it up with more straight drives to basket with DA rolling harder.
The other way to involve DA is to pass to the low post. However, DA is not always good at establishing the position on the one hand, and has the tendency to move to turn away from the basket for a hook shot even it's Curry defending him, easy to defend and low success rate. No wonder the offense went away from it. So, DA needs to adopt more face-up, tear-drop or push shots which Jokic showed to the world. But there is hope we see advances in all these areas.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't think it does - he was checked out last playoffs and we still could have won it all with the addition of Beal IMO.

I disagree wholeheartedly. We would have needed Ayton against LA to keep Davis busy and we weren't close to beating Denver. Yes, we won twice but we were blown out 3 times, 1 came on our home floor in a must win situation. Beal doesn't change that. Someone needs to keep Jokic busy and off the boards. He was out rebounding our Centers as a whole, not just Ayton.

We have no real depth behind Ayton and we'll need someone to fill in if he checks out. Even if Eubanks steps up then who is our backup? It's not Bol Bol. We're too thin at Center right now. I'd feel a lot better about this season if someone more established were here as the backup C.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We would have to get him for 2-3 mil vet minimum. At that low price, as a potential back up with "maybe" upside left, might be a good swing.

Aside from Gordon, Suns seem to want to go younger more athletic, though.
He’s done, he’s been done for years.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I disagree wholeheartedly. We would have needed Ayton against LA to keep Davis busy and we weren't close to beating Denver. Yes, we won twice but we were blown out 3 times, 1 came on our home floor in a must win situation. Beal doesn't change that. Someone needs to keep Jokic busy and off the boards. He was out rebounding our Centers as a whole, not just Ayton.

We have no real depth behind Ayton and we'll need someone to fill in if he checks out. Even if Eubanks steps up then who is our backup? It's not Bol Bol. We're too thin at Center right now. I'd feel a lot better about this season if someone more established were here as the backup C.
The flippant dismissal of beals addition in a series where we couldn’t find a third scorer and still took two games is fascinating to me.

And I keep seeing metu dismissed as a center. In an NBA where there are few truly talented 7 footers anymore metu is definitely a backup center.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05