2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess the appeal of Bol is he's a wildcard low risk high reward gamble. His length can be a factor on defense because he is mobile and cover a lot of ground so you have to be aware of where he is or your shot could be blocked. Also, I think he could help on the boards which would definitely be a plus. If he can improve his 3pt shot he can be another 3&D guy and he is on a 1 year deal so its not like PHX is saddled with a bad contract.
I get the appeal and I'm in agreement. I have high hopes for him but very low expectations.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't know enough about Bol to offer an opinion but if the primary reason he's considered to be a small forward is that he can't play center, that concerns me. I want a small forward that plays there because he can positively impact the game from that position, not because he sucks everywhere else.
I think his sweet spot is going to be as a modern day stretch 4. That’s if he develops. If he does we may have caught lightning in a bottle. Super long shot.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think his sweet spot is going to be as a modern day stretch 4. That’s if he develops. If he does we may have caught lightning in a bottle. Super long shot.
Exactly. This is what I like about the player. His potential sweet spot is exactly what KD is. I am not saying he has that kind of talent of course. Super long shot. I just hope they have a plan to keep him somehow if he pans out.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't know who you plan on replacing Ayton with..
This. Sorry, as much as Ayton annoys me, you can't trade him without getting a legit big man in return. Trading him for "anybody" would be a disaster and move us further from a title. Not closer.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anybody not named Ayton
Forget it.. this conversation can’t go anywhere.. you can scream replace him all day long but can’t come up with a name.. We can’t trade him for anyone better than him at his position cause we have no assets.. we can't pick up someone in free agency better than him at his position cause no one better is available.. we are stuck with him..

Trading him away just to trade him away is not a great idea. Especially when he is the best available compared to what is out there. Here is a list of available.. you’re telling me there is someone on that list who is better than Ayton..

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This. Sorry, as much as Ayton annoys me, you can't trade him without getting a legit big man in return. Trading him for "anybody" would be a disaster and move us further from a title. Not closer.

Agreed.. I get why people want him gone but you don’t give him away for nothing and especially when you don’t have someone who can do what he does. I am not saying he is great but at the moment there is no one there.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed.. I get why people want him gone but you don’t give him away for nothing and especially when you don’t have someone who can do what he does. I am not saying he is great but at the moment there is no one there.
Yep. DA is not what we need him to be but getting rid of him doesn't give us what we need either. He's overpaid and that's normally a big problem but right now we are so far over the cap that it's moot. But if he was getting paid like Eubanks is, he'd be a huge steal.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Forget it.. this conversation can’t go anywhere.. you can scream replace him all day long but can’t come up with a name.. We can’t trade him for anyone better than him at his position cause we have no assets.. we can't pick up someone in free agency better than him at his position cause no one better is available.. we are stuck with him..

Trading him away just to trade him away is not a great idea. Especially when he is the best available compared to what is out there. Here is a list of available.. you’re telling me there is someone on that list who is better than Ayton..

I already posted the list of free agents, who I'd want, and how it would require a sign and trade from another team but honestly I'd love to trade Ayton for draft picks too, if we can get anything of value for DeAndre Ayton we need to do it - problem is - everyone around the League feels the same way I do

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree. He’s not a center. He doesn’t have the girth or the game. He has the requisite skills to play out on the floor he just needs further development to hone them and to better grow his decisionmaking. The kid has upside but is really rough.
By your logic, Okogie should be a C and not a wing. Bol can improve his 3pt shooting of course but he can bring the ball up court and has some handles. Is he a PG, no but I've seen true wings that don't have handles. Bol is more of a wing than a C, he is tall yeah but he isn't a guy that is going to back true PF's and C's down in the paint. You're saying he should be a C but he is not.

Shoots under 20% from the corners and rated in the bottom 1% of perimeter defenders.

He only does 2 things above average statistically… defend the rim and score in the paint.

There is literally nothing in his resume that says he should be anything but a center.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Shoots under 20% from the corners and rated in the bottom 1% of perimeter defenders.

He only does 2 things above average statistically… defend the rim and score in the paint.

There is literally nothing in his resume that says he should be anything but a center.
All your posts on the matter sound like they’re solely based on #s. Which is fine in determining if he’s good or not, but doesn’t provide much insight into his skills. Have you never watched him?

I watched him at Oregon and came away impressed with his skillset at his length. Obviously they haven’t effectively carried over to the nba, but they exist. It could be they just aren’t good enough for the nba level, in which case he will wash out. I don’t think he will ever be anything but a part-time small ball center if he fails to develop into a stretch 4. Which I think just puts him outta the league.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All your posts on the matter sound like they’re solely based on #s. Which is fine in determining if he’s good or not, but doesn’t provide much insight into his skills. Have you never watched him?

I watched him at Oregon and came away impressed with his skillset at his length. Obviously they haven’t effectively carried over to the nba, but they exist. It could be they just aren’t good enough for the nba level, in which case he will wash out. I don’t think he will ever be anything but a part-time small ball center if he fails to develop into a stretch 4. Which I think just puts him outta the league.

I've watched him some, he doesn't look like an NBA player and the numbers tell me teams are using him wrong. He shouldn't be on the outside.

Maybe he'd stick around if he played to his strengths instead of spending most of his time shooting from places he can't score from and defending positions he cant' cover.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton has some issues, but if he were the first or second option on a team, I think he would average 25/10 or close to it. I also think that most of Ayton's problems were Monty Williams.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I think we should be grateful Ayton is now the fourth, possibly could be knocked down to fifth, option on the starting team. We now don't have to rely on Ayton "coming through" for us to win/lose playoff games. His importance to our success has been lessened and I think that's a good thing. I have no problem with Vogel making him a better player for us. Now that we aren't relying so heavily on his output, he can still be effective for us. He is by far not in the same crowd as the best centers in the league, but look around the league, and he's not the worst either. He's the best one on our squad, and that's what matters. I love Eubanks, but he's no Ayton. You wouldn't want him as your starter, but I think Eubanks is one of the best back up centers in the league. We aren't hurting at Center. Most teams don't carry more than two anyway. We have small ball centers if it goes that far. Ayton just needs to stay out of foul trouble, protect the rim, get rebounds. The rest is gravy! We need him to eat minutes at the center position. Stay on the court.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. DA is not what we need him to be but getting rid of him doesn't give us what we need either. He's overpaid and that's normally a big problem but right now we are so far over the cap that it's moot. But if he was getting paid like Eubanks is, he'd be a huge steal.
This. Getting rid of him just because he annoys you or you don't like him is beyond shortsighted. Trading him for picks or garbage doesn't make the team better. It's just dumb. You want to argue getting rid of Ayton for a solid contributor? OK, let's talk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t seem to be a market for a 25/10 skill set? I’m hoping he’ll get his opportunity in the future.
You know for sure we are trying to get rid of him? Last I saw, Vogel wanted to keep Ayton.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know for sure we are trying to get rid of him? Last I saw, Vogel wanted to keep Ayton.

Vogel talked about using Cam Payne as well. Look what happened there. Vogel is saying what he needs to in order to keep player's happy and fluff up their value.

As for your other take on Ayton averaging 25/10, he'd only do that on a team deep in the lottery. There's zero chance he averages 25/10 on a contender.

I want him gone but I'm willing to wait for the right opportunity to present itself. I'd be surprised if he is still on this team beyond the trade deadline. I hoped he'd be moved this summer but there aren't many options to make that happen. I believe we could see some movement come December 15th, which is when players resigned or signed this off-season can be dealt. That makes a lot of players available and I'd be happy with a move that nets us a big role playing Center like Valenciunis, Vucevic, Capela, and many others who play a similar role as Ayton at a fraction of his cost.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vogel talked about using Cam Payne as well. Look what happened there. Vogel is saying what he needs to in order to keep player's happy and fluff up their value.

As for your other take on Ayton averaging 25/10, he'd only do that on a team deep in the lottery. There's zero chance he averages 25/10 on a contender.

I want him gone but I'm willing to wait for the right opportunity to present itself. I'd be surprised if he is still on this team beyond the trade deadline. I hoped he'd be moved this summer but there aren't many options to make that happen. I believe we could see some movement come December 15th, which is when players resigned or signed this off-season can be dealt. That makes a lot of players available and I'd be happy with a move that nets us a big role playing Center like Valenciunis, Vucevic, Capela, and many others who play a similar role as Ayton at a fraction of his cost.
Sure, but that was AFTER they already got Gordon.

I could see him traded as well, but I'd be surprised if he is. I think Ishbia is trying to win this year and then will decide what to do with the team if he doesn't.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

For the amount of money he's making? Yes I'll take em....only if we get draft capital back. Him guarding the pole that holds up the basket did it for me.

clyde2tw

All Star
Reaction score
Compared to the players you listed, DA is only overpaid by about 10-12m/y or 1/3 of his salary. Financial wise, it's not a big deal for the owner.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05