2023 Phoenix Suns Offseason

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The flippant dismissal of beals addition in a series where we couldn’t find a third scorer and still took two games is fascinating to me.

And I keep seeing metu dismissed as a center. In an NBA where there are few truly talented 7 footers anymore metu is definitely a backup center.
It's true that Metu gets ignored. I do it. I just know very little about him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
The flippant dismissal of beals addition in a series where we couldn’t find a third scorer and still took two games is fascinating to me.

And I keep seeing metu dismissed as a center. In an NBA where there are few truly talented 7 footers anymore metu is definitely a backup center.
Another issue we had was our corner 3 point shooters couldn't hit anything in the series against Denver. We added KBD, Gordon and Watanabe that will make the defense pay when left open from 3. Goodwin also shot 40% on wide open 3s last year.

Also the addition of Beal means that all of KD, Booker and Beal will get more of those open catch and shoot looks as well. So this team is stacked with guys that are capable of making the defense pay when left open for 3.

Last edited:

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We didn't simply lack a 3rd scorer, we needed rebounding and defense also. That's also one series, in the 2nd round. Yes, it was against the eventual champs but we'll need more than 3 scorers if we face most other teams in the West. Offense doesn't win championships alone. We saw that repeatedly with D'antoni here and in Houston. We aren't now the team to beat because we have 3 scorers, we're better offensively but we'll be smaller and depending on our big even more because Beal, Booker, and Gordon aren't going to guard the paint and grab rebounds when the game is on the line.

I'm not forgetting Metu, I'm not counting on him. There's a reason he played in a whopping 6 minutes in 3 games throughout the Kings brief postseason appearance. He's not someone who is capable of keeping Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, AD, or any other quality big from dominating the glass and doing what they please offensively. If we're having to rely on Metu for anything in the 4th quarter then we aren't winning a championship. He's not the #1 or #2 Center on a title team.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We didn't simply lack a 3rd scorer, we needed rebounding and defense also. That's also one series, in the 2nd round. Yes, it was against the eventual champs but we'll need more than 3 scorers if we face most other teams in the West. Offense doesn't win championships alone. We saw that repeatedly with D'antoni here and in Houston. We aren't now the team to beat because we have 3 scorers, we're better offensively but we'll be smaller and depending on our big even more because Beal, Booker, and Gordon aren't going to guard the paint and grab rebounds when the game is on the line.

I'm not forgetting Metu, I'm not counting on him. There's a reason he played in a whopping 6 minutes in 3 games throughout the Kings brief postseason appearance. He's not someone who is capable of keeping Jokic, Giannis, Embiid, AD, or any other quality big from dominating the glass and doing what they please offensively. If we're having to rely on Metu for anything in the 4th quarter then we aren't winning a championship. He's not the #1 or #2 Center on a title team.
And he's not, he's #3.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Another issue we had was our corner 3 point shooters couldn't hit anything in the series against Denver. We added KBD, Gordon and Watanabe that will make the defense pay when left open from 3. Goodwin also shot 40% on wide open 3s last year.

Also the addition of Beal means that all of KD, Booker and Beal will get more of those open catch and shoot looks as well. So this team is stacked with guys that are capable of making the defense pay when left open for 3.
although the skillets of the players aren’t comparable I’m liking this team to the 05’ team had the 05’ team had a legitimate bench. That team had poor depth at full stretch and zero depth when JJ broke his face. With 3 legit bench guys that team would’ve outscored their way to a title like this year’s team can likely do. Not saying they’re punting on defense but if Vogel has them playing just mediocre defense they will outscore the Nuggets in a series. The Suns, Lakers and Heat didn’t have the horses or ability to play at the pace necessary to outscore and tire out Jokic last year. This year they can.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

While I agree with you, he's gonna have to make me learn how to pronounce his name by playing his ass off.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ishbia is worth about $7.2 billion, according to Forbes

Matt Ishbia just got approved to build a 60,000 square foot mansion complete with an amusement park in Michigan.
Why? Honestly, I get the way that Elon Musk lives (no house, sleeping at the office) rather than the dudes with amusement parks and super yachts. How often will the yacht or amusement park get used? It's usually a waste. No matter how much money you have, you only have so much time.

Shaq has a 50,000 SF house in Florida and says he now only spends time in the kitchen and master bedroom. The rest of it just sits unused and empty.

Oh well. Its not my concern really. As long as he spends money on free agents, I should not really care.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Rebounding was in issue in a total of 2 games in the series and one of them was game 3 which we won. It was not the overwhelming issue you are making it out to be. This team got longer and more athletic this year so defense should be at least slightly better. Not to mention we brought in a very good defensive coach.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

I am counting on Eric Gordon as a fourth scorer. He's been pretty good in the playoffs over the years.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
mWhy? Honestly, I get the way that Elon Musk lives (no house, sleeping at the office) rather than the dudes with amusement parks and super yachts. How often will the yacht or amusement park get used? It's usually a waste. No matter how much money you have, you only have so much time.

Shaq has a 50,000 SF house in Florida and says he now only spends time in the kitchen and master bedroom. The rest of it just sits unused and empty.

Oh well. Its not my concern really. As long as he spends money on free agents, I should not really care.
Sounds like maybe his wife or gfs doing. "You just bought a basketball team and I cant get this tiny lil mansion?" "No soup for you!"

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Why? Honestly, I get the way that Elon Musk lives (no house, sleeping at the office) rather than the dudes with amusement parks and super yachts. How often will the yacht or amusement park get used? It's usually a waste. No matter how much money you have, you only have so much time.

I listened to an interview with Mike Tyson. They asked him about his house. He said it had 4 kitchens. They were asking him if it really had four kitchens. He said he didn't really know because he had not been to all of them. He said, that's what they tell me. He didn't say it like he was bragging. He sounded like he really didn't know. LOL.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A little off topic..

I think this team just needs to play and not listen to the media noise. With how the team was built and the stars on the team, I feel expectations will be high. Any small move is going to get magnified by the media. Any small miscommunication between players or perception will get blown up.

People want this team to fail. They will pray for an injury or want to see the team implode.

I feel the Suns have the best team in the league on paper. I am only worried about them being able to keep it together.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

That answers if he knows....
I really like what I am hearing here, it gives me hope maybe the effort will be more consistent. I feel a bit sorry for him too because IMO the criticism is way overdone.

What he really needs to understand though is he brings a lot of it on himself by calling himself Dominayton, when in reality there is only a handful of games he has ever dominated at the NBA level.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I really like what I am hearing here, it gives me hope maybe the effort will be more consistent. I feel a bit sorry for him too because IMO the criticism is way overdone.

What he really needs to understand though is he brings a lot of it on himself by calling himself Dominayton, when in reality there is only a handful of games he has ever dominated at the NBA level.
I think it's partly a bubble of the way they live. They practice, travel, play games at a high amount of their year. They don't see a lot of fans. So guys get on the internet to see what people say. I think that's what DA is encountering. Even some of the comments below the video, people are saying, just play with a motor, learn not to get the ball stripped. It wasn't hate, it seemed like people were honestly trying to help him understand why they were frustrated.

You do see a lot of people on Twitter saying he's a bust, trash, etc. So I see where he gets this from.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Book giving a sneak peak on the uniforms, looks like this guys guess might be pretty close.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it's partly a bubble of the way they live. They practice, travel, play games at a high amount of their year. They don't see a lot of fans. So guys get on the internet to see what people say. I think that's what DA is encountering. Even some of the comments below the video, people are saying, just play with a motor, learn not to get the ball stripped. It wasn't hate, it seemed like people were honestly trying to help him understand why they were frustrated.

You do see a lot of people on Twitter saying he's a bust, trash, etc. So I see where he gets this from.
Yeah, but it's not just the fans even all the media guys bash him whenever his name gets brought up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

That answers if he knows....
Listened to Gambo and whoever talk about this while driving a while ago. Gambo said that Monty just flat did not want DA on his team. That is hard to believe. It would be very hard to produce consistently when your coach does not believe in you. I would not think that Monty was that interested in developing him either. I am not sure what it was that created that situation (the Dallas series in 2022?), but you cannot have a coach that wastes an asset like that. It is probably one of the main reasons why Monty got fired.

I like what DA says here, but he often says good things. It will be interesting to see what Vogel can do with him.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Listened to Gambo and whoever talk about this while driving a while ago. Gambo said that Monty just flat did not want DA on his team. That is hard to believe. It would be very hard to produce consistently when your coach does not believe in you. I would not think that Monty was that interested in developing him either. I am not sure what it was that created that situation (the Dallas series in 2022?), but you cannot have a coach that wastes an asset like that. It is probably one of the main reasons why Monty got fired.

I like what DA says here, but he often says good things. It will be interesting to see what Vogel can do with him.
I find it shocking, if what Gambo is saying is true, that's one big accusation. I noticed a couple times DA wanting to talk to Monty on the sidelines or after coming out, and Monty ignored him. You can't be a leader that way. Now in Monty's defense, maybe DA was bringing up stuff they had talked about that wasn't appropriate during game time, or whatever. Still, that's a horrible look for a coach.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

DA often parrots back what the coaches tell him. I wonder if Vogel told him "we need to change the narrative" either way it's a good sign.
Monte was done with DA the second he snapped back at him on the sidelines that one game, you could see it in his eyes. Well I could, good seats mwahahahah!
Seems kind of childish from someone as pious as Monte but it is what it is.

I know most of the fanbase is done with DA but our best bet is to draw up some plays for him and make him look good. For trade or whatever. Maybe it works and he balls out.
Maybe having a coach that doesn't hate your ever loving guts could ignite the spark again.
Still curious about the Myles Turner trade but I think what the front office is telling us might be true and they DO want to see what happens if he stays.

We have so many options now I'm honestly neutral about the DA thing.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05