2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
NC losing and struggling against App State is a big concern for Maye.
That isn't how it works. What did you want Maye to do? Not give it to his RB who averaged 9 yards per carry? He had a 70% completion rate. He had zero turnovers. All while he was under pressure for most of the game. He led the game winning drive with 1:22 left in the game. He can't control that his HC sat on the ball and then the kicker missed they FG. Despite that he ended up scoring game winning TD.

This is where amateur scouting goes awry. This is 100% a translatable game to the NFL level. Best WRs were out. Running game was going. Defense couldn't make stops. Then, when the game was on the line and after getting sacked on first down, Maye goes 3-5 for 38 yards and 18 yards rushing and using no timeouts. His coach decides to sit on it at the oppo 25 with 35 seconds left. FG is missed. The defense still can't make a stop. NC then scores two TDs in OT to win.

Maye played the exact game his team needed him to play to win. That is exactly what NFL QBs need to be able to do.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That isn't how it works. What did you want Maye to do? Not give it to his RB who averaged 9 yards per carry? He had a 70% completion rate. He had zero turnovers. All while he was under pressure for most of the game. He led the game winning drive with 1:22 left in the game. He can't control that his HC sat on the ball and then the kicker missed they FG. Despite that he ended up scoring game winning TD.

This is where amateur scouting goes awry. This is 100% a translatable game to the NFL level. Best WRs were out. Running game was going. Defense couldn't make stops. Then, when the game was on the line and after getting sacked on first down, Maye goes 3-5 for 38 yards and 18 yards rushing and using no timeouts. His coach decides to sit on it at the oppo 25 with 35 seconds left. FG is missed. The defense still can't make a stop. NC then scores two TDs in OT to win.

Maye played the exact game his team needed him to play to win. That is exactly what NFL QBs need to be able to do.
For a few years people have raced about Bryce Young and all I saw was a guy playing with elite playmakers, an elite OL, with no real special NFL physical traits...

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
No one is going to argue with Caleb Williams having better stats. However, I watched Drake Maye play very well in an actual NFL style football game vs Vandy. That USC vs Stanford game looked nothing like a NFL football game. There isn't that level of talent disparity in NFL rosters. Or at least, not very often.

If you go back and read the comments on Mahomes, he was criticized for his turnovers. His response was that due to the roster at Texas Tech, he didn't have the luxury of playing it safe and punting the ball away. He had to score on every down in hopes his defense could make stops.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No one is going to argue with Caleb Williams having better snaps. However, I watched Drake Maye play very well in an actual NFL style football game vs Vandy. That USC vs Stanford game looked nothing like a NFL football game. There isn't that level of talent disparity in NFL rosters. Or at least, not very often.

If you go back and read the comments on Mahomes, he was criticized for his turnovers. His response was that due to the roster at Texas Tech, he didn't have the luxury of playing it safe and punting the ball away. He had to score on every down in hopes his defense could make stops.
I remember watching Mahomes against ASU, thinking this guy has superstar written all over him. ASU won because their 22 was better than Texas Tech's 22 by a wide margin. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah. He is essentially short Mac Jones. And that isn't a terrible thing, it just isn't worth #1 overall IMO.
The 2023 QB class was filled with guys that didn't really show NFL translatable skills. I get why so many were enamored with Richardson because you could see NFL throws on his tape, but he wasn't good at the NFL level.

Both Young and Stroud won because of extreme talent disparities.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. He is essentially short Mac Jones. And that isn't a terrible thing, it just isn't worth #1 overall IMO.
lol

Bryce’s supporting cast was a major downgrade from the Bama’s supporting cast of old. He had only 2 elite playmakers in Jameson Williams & Jahmyr Gibbs(didn’t even play together) & 1 elite OL(Evan Neal, who is looking like a certified bust). I expect that from Krang, but not from you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol

Bryce’s supporting cast was a major downgrade from the Bama’s supporting cast of old. He had only 2 elite playmakers in Jameson Williams & Jahmyr Gibbs(didn’t even play together) & 1 elite OL(Evan Neal, who is looking like a certified bust). I expect that from Krang, but not from you.
I have been pretty meh of Bryce since 2021. I don't know what you find inflammatory. I haven't said I think he will be a bust. I think he has similar skills to Mac Jones as a QB. Mac was a 1st round pick and has turned into an around average NFL QB. I think Bryce is more likely to be an average NFL QB, and is a long shot to be a top 10 NFL QB.

If you really want to get frustrated with me, I think I also called Bryce "short Teddy Bridgewater" before the draft.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Separate note @DVontel, Evan Neal?!?! Didn't see that coming. He looked like he had cement shoes on. Did not move his feet hardly at all and was just bending at the waist and reaching for Dallas defenders. I don't remember his feet being an issue at Alabama.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like Bryce Young would have been a better fit in Indy. Anthony Richardson fits well there (Steichen can adjust. Just look at what he did with Herbert and Hurts) and Carolina imo.

Richardson could still bust as well, but I feel good about the coaching giving him the best opportunity and he's got a couple nice targets.

Need to see more from Drake Maye. He's not going to stay another year like Herbert and Josh Allen (believe he was draft eligible in 2017) did.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I keep hearing how Maye was without a couple wrs. Caleb's best game was without Addison and Coach Helton leftovers last year.

I get knocking him for how loaded they are this year. However, its impressive what he did year 1 at USC. No one thought they'd be that good that fast. And a lot of that had to do with Caleb. Dont overthink this.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I keep hearing how Maye was without a couple wrs. Caleb's best game was without Addison and Coach Helton leftovers last year.

I get knocking him for how loaded they are this year. However, its impressive what he did year 1 at USC. No one thought they'd be that good that fast. And a lot of that had to do with Caleb. Dont overthink this.
The players weren't the problem under Helton.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Separate note @DVontel, Evan Neal?!?! Didn't see that coming. He looked like he had cement shoes on. Did not move his feet hardly at all and was just bending at the waist and reaching for Dallas defenders. I don't remember his feet being an issue at Alabama.
Yea he’s just too big & slow.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
How crazy would it be if the Cards, Bears, Texans and Panthers finished with the 4 worst records? That would be two teams making the top-4 picks. Give me some draft madness.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser