2024 Free Agency thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The goal has always been to create sustained success, so I don’t see the Cardinals venturing too far from that plan. That means they won’t trade picks for vets. I could see a relatively inexpensive 1 year deal for a veteran FA edge who’s still out there. The offense will be counted on to win games while the D continues to be a work in progress. Next year’s draft is one loaded with talent on the defensive side of the ball.
So the plan's to not try to get to the playoffs again. Gotcha. Whadya say, 2026, 2027 maybe? Wait, then those early picks will be FAs. D'oh!

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
So the plan's to not try to get to the playoffs again. Gotcha. Whadya say, 2026, 2027 maybe? Wait, then those early picks will be FAs. D'oh!
Again. Not what is being written. The plan was to build a consistent play-off and superbowl contender. And not repeating the Keim cycle of hit of miss with no consistency.

The way the re-build plan has been executed I read the as sustainable building of a roster that is a play-off contender in 24 and surefire play-off caliber team in 25. That mean all those rookies are in their 3rd and 2nd year when the team is ready for a deep play-off run

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you're being overly negative here.

Yes there is concern that Monti hasn't done enough, and I do share that concern, but the big leap can definitely happen in 2025 when the Cardinals have a ton of cap space to use and have only one or two really difference makers who are free agents.

At that point the 2023 rookie class will be going into their third season so it will be much easier to evaluate the roster.

My expectations this year is win around 8 games, double what they won in 2023. Obviously opinions can be fluid, so I'll be right here with you if they fail to make that leap.

Stout

Reaction score
Again. Not what is being written. The plan was to build a consistent play-off and superbowl contender. And not repeating the Keim cycle of hit of miss with no consistency.

The way the re-build plan has been executed I read the as sustainable building of a roster that is a play-off contender in 24 and surefire play-off caliber team in 25. That mean all those rookies are in their 3rd and 2nd year when the team is ready for a deep play-off run
You cannot ever do so purely through the draft and always being conservative in trades and FA. Not in the modern cap era. By the time you build a most of a good roster, then the stars you hopefully drafted early are all FAs and all demand big money. Basically, he's hoping to draft perfectly and then give himself the headache of not being able to keep the team together. If it were the late '70s and he was a perfect drafter, that is the way you would build a consistent playoff and SB contender. Now, it is the opposite.

For some reason, people were so burned by Keim that they think the only way winning can work is to do the polar opposite. Keim is one extreme. So far, Monti has been another extreme. I not so much contend as outright state that there is a happy handful of strategies in between.

35 MILLION IN CAP SPACE WITH THIS EDGE ROOM. INDEFENSIBLE FAIL.

Stout

Reaction score
I think you're being overly negative here.

Yes there is concern that Monti hasn't done enough, and I do share that concern, but the big leap can definitely happen in 2025 when the Cardinals have a ton of cap space to use and have only one or two really difference makers who are free agents.

At that point the 2023 rookie class will be going into their third season so it will be much easier to evaluate the roster.

My expectations this year is win around 8 games, double what they won in 2023. Obviously opinions can be fluid, so I'll be right here with you if they fail to make that leap.
While this is a reasoned take, I type this in Will Smith voice: "Get them words out your damn mouth!"

I have zero faith Monti will ever adequately spend in FA because CONSERVATIVE. And let's not forget the Bidwill factor. Now, Krang, you are most definitely not in the group I'm referencing, but I hear cap space every damn year. "When we have enough to spend! NEXT year we'll have plenty of cap space."

Listen. I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and have to put up with Bob Nutting, who blatantly lied and said "Put the butts in the seats, win some games, and the team will spend," who has yet to get payroll back to that level TEN YEARS LATER.

This is Dollar Bill's son and Cheapskate Monti we're talking about. Do you really think they're going to go after ANY big-money FAs ever? Puh-lease.

Stout

Reaction score
Maybe not the complete polar opposite, but it certainly leans that way.

Chiefs have pretty much built their team through the draft. Look at their best players.
The modern day Patriots take. The take that says "Draft a HoF QB and you can do it a certain way." C'mon man. Sub out Mahomes for Murray and, yeah, it doesn't look nearly the same.

Try again.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The modern day Patriots take. The take that says "Draft a HoF QB and you can do it a certain way." C'mon man. Sub out Mahomes for Murray and, yeah, it doesn't look nearly the same.

Try again.
@DVontel is 100% right though. Smart teams identify their core players to keep and just replace the rest through the draft.

Tyreek Hill was just named the #1 player in football, but the Chiefs moved on from him and won two more Super Bowls without him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
While this is a reasoned take, I type this in Will Smith voice: "Get them words out your damn mouth!"

I have zero faith Monti will ever adequately spend in FA because CONSERVATIVE. And let's not forget the Bidwill factor. Now, Krang, you are most definitely not in the group I'm referencing, but I hear cap space every damn year. "When we have enough to spend! NEXT year we'll have plenty of cap space."

Listen. I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan and have to put up with Bob Nutting, who blatantly lied and said "Put the butts in the seats, win some games, and the team will spend," who has yet to get payroll back to that level TEN YEARS LATER.

This is Dollar Bill's son and Cheapskate Monti we're talking about. Do you really think they're going to go after ANY big-money FAs ever? Puh-lease.
Eh this comparison falls flat on its face though when you consider that the NFL has rules that enforce spending. Michael can't keep the cap money. I repeat, Michael can't keep the cap money. There is a a minimum cap floor that has to be spent.

There isn't an incentive to save that money like there is in baseball.

Stout

Reaction score
@DVontel is 100% right though. Smart teams identify their core players to keep and just replace the rest through the draft.

Tyreek Hill was just named the #1 player in football, but the Chiefs moved on from him and won two more Super Bowls without him.
He's 100 percent right about a basic approach, not a total approach. Smart teams do identify their core players, keep them, and replace the rest through the draft. Yet, unless you're incredibly lucky or have a HoF QB, you're not going to "keep your powder dry" all the way to the SB.

Stout

Reaction score
Eh this comparison falls flat on its face though when you consider that the NFL has rules that enforce spending. Michael can't keep the cap money. I repeat, Michael can't keep the cap money. There is a a minimum cap floor that has to be spent.

There isn't an incentive to save that money like there is in baseball.
They enforce a floor; they don't make you spend it all, and they certainly don't make you get creative.

Edit: Oh yes, the baseball comparison definitely falls flat; it's more my frustration with having idiot owners for multiple sports teams. At least Newcastle got rid of Cashley.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m happy with the road we’re on. There will be camp cuts and replacing a guy like BJ is not like trying to replace Aaron Donald.
Overall, I have liked Monti's drafts. But expecting to scavenge camp cuts to meet a need is "same old poo".

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
You cannot ever do so purely through the draft and always being conservative in trades and FA. Not in the modern cap era. By the time you build a most of a good roster, then the stars you hopefully drafted early are all FAs and all demand big money. Basically, he's hoping to draft perfectly and then give himself the headache of not being able to keep the team together. If it were the late '70s and he was a perfect drafter, that is the way you would build a consistent playoff and SB contender. Now, it is the opposite.
The roster of the best teams in the League - 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, Lions, BEngals and Bills would suggest you are wrong.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

For some reason, people were so burned by Keim that they think the only way winning can work is to do the polar opposite. Keim is one extreme. So far, Monti has been another extreme. I not so much contend as outright state that there is a happy handful of strategies in between.

35 MILLION IN CAP SPACE WITH THIS EDGE ROOM. INDEFENSIBLE FAIL.
Which edge player would you have signed this off season??

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Try again.
Maybe it does if Murray were being coached by the Walrus Andy Reid

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's 100 percent right about a basic approach, not a total approach. Smart teams do identify their core players, keep them, and replace the rest through the draft. Yet, unless you're incredibly lucky or have a HoF QB, you're not going to "keep your powder dry" all the way to the SB.
No one is arguing "keeping the powder dry'". Strawman argument. The Cardinals are still in the evaluation period of all the prospects on the roster.

Stout

Reaction score
No one is arguing "keeping the powder dry'". Strawman argument. The Cardinals are still in the evaluation period of all the prospects on the roster.
I would posit that @DVontel making it Keim's way or Monti's way is arguing exactly that. Plenty of posters are following suit.

If Monti is still evaluating the players at edge by now, he should be fired. He's had two offseasons and a full season to know it's not good enough.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The roster of the best teams in the League - 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, Lions, BEngals and Bills would suggest you are wrong.
The 49ers have consistently made BIG trades and FA gets during Shanny’s run, right from the start trading for Jimmy G and handing him a huge contract, then trading for Trent Williams, not to mention trading for an MVP Candidate with McAffrey. They also hit a grand slam homerun when given the chance to take an impact pass rusher with Bosa. We’ve done none of that at this point.

The Chiefs have Mahommes. Any comparison to doing what they do is moot simply because of that.

The Bills have also made big splashes in trades and FA, trading for Diggs years back and then signing Von Miller. They also have a superstar QB to lean on that we don’t as of right now.

The Ravens are the closest of teams who do it almost all with draft, but they too have an MVP at QB that covers a lot of holes. We don’t have that right now.

Just saying we’re doing the right thing almost solely focusing on the draft while pointing to the best teams in the league, who have all taken various ways to get to the top, but we’re also good drafting teams isn’t much of an argument, IMO.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was waiting for someone to pop up with this old chestnut. The answer is: it's Monti's job to properly stock the edge room, not mine. Nice try, though. Such a lazy comeback.
You can hide from reality all you want man. It's a standard M.O.
But there were no great edge rushers to be had... I wanted Wilkinson..but even he was a risk as a one hit wonder and was idl and not edge...because there were no top edge guys.

It makes zero sense to hate on Monti for not buying a Ferrari when the only thing available was 92 Celicas... had a Ferrari been available he may well have written the check. We will never know. But I for one am glad we ain't stacking the roster with worn out pass rushers that are either collecting social security or were never good enough to be offered a long term deal in the first place.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sparky