2024 Free Agency thread

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Von Miller is the poster child for what the Cardinals SHOULDN'T do.

Jimmy G sure worked out well too. The Niners would probably have a ring (or two) if they hadn't just traded for Mr. Adequate.
Thing is, outside of Jimmy G, none of those acquisitions happened within the first two seasons of those GMs’ tenures.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Von Miller is the poster child for what the Cardinals SHOULDN'T do.

Jimmy G sure worked out well too. The Niners would probably have a ring (or two) if they hadn't just traded for Mr. Adequate.
None of that changes the fact that the Niners and Bills absolutely DID NOT do what Monti’s doing.

And without Jimmy G in the Niners first three seasons, they were abysmal. Why because they had a GAPING hole at QB. With him at QB, he was steady enough to go 5-1 at the end of his first season and make the Super Bowl in his 3rd. So they saw a huge weakness at QB and actually did SOMETHING which DID make a difference between winning and losing. We have chosen to see our biggest weakness… and do nothing about it for multiple seasons. This season will tell us if that was the right choice or not.

But again, the point remains… the Niners and Bills were aggressive making big moves in their first couple years to bolster weakness via trade and FA. Neither of them just relied on the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
None of that changes the fact that the Niners and Bills absolutely DID NOT do what Monti’s doing.

And without Jimmy G in the Niners first three seasons, they were abysmal. Why because they had a GAPING hole at QB. With him at QB, he was steady enough to go 5-1 at the end of his first season and make the Super Bowl in his 3rd. So they saw a huge weakness at QB and actually did SOMETHING which DID make a difference between winning and losing. We have chosen to see our biggest weakness… and do nothing about it for multiple seasons. This season will tell us if that was the right choice or not.
Maybe just maybe they should have...drafted a guy? Oh yeah they did years later and have had pretty good success with that model, better than the trade for Jimmy
But again, the point remains… the Niners and Bills were aggressive making big moves in their first couple years to bolster weakness via trade and FA. Neither of them just relied on the draft.
No. They weren't. The Niners big moves came later.

Look, I would have done more, but overall I like the direction of the Cardinals right now. Even with a Brian Burns or a Jonathan Greenard/Danielle Hunter, I still don't think its enough.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
@DVontel is 100% right though. Smart teams identify their core players to keep and just replace the rest through the draft.

Tyreek Hill was just named the #1 player in football, but the Chiefs moved on from him and won two more Super Bowls without him.
So you’re ignoring stouts point? He’s right. Swap mahomes for almost any other qb and the chiefs are hit or miss participants in the playoffs. Gotta talk about teams without a Brady or mahomes when you try to make the argument y’all are making.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The roster of the best teams in the League - 49ers, Chiefs, Ravens, Lions, BEngals and Bills would suggest you are wrong.
Niners, ravens lions and bengals are good examples. Bills have made some signings and trades, so they don’t belong there.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think most posters aren't arguing out of spite, Cheese. I honestly think they've been scarred so badly by Keim they don't understand that you don't have to do it ALL through the draft. Any move towards anything other than conservative is being labeled as being a Keim homer. Folks have just been hurt before by the Cards and don't want to be hurt again. It's blinders of a different kind.
To be honest, I don’t think most of those posters agree with monti’s philosophy, I think they are just going to agree with most of whatever a newish regime is going to do until there’s multiple seasons of 6 or fewer wins. I think that’s what always happens here with a new regime, and frankly with most teAms fans.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Niners, ravens lions and bengals are good examples. Bills have made some signings and trades, so they don’t belong there.
Championship teams aren't built around one player

Even the Chicago Bulls had Scottie Pippen.

Most of the good teams in the NFL are mostly built around the draft. Relying on 25% hits from bigger money free agents is a fool's errand.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Championship teams aren't built around one player

Even the Chicago Bulls had Scottie Pippen.

Most of the good teams in the NFL are mostly built around the draft. Relying on 25% hits from bigger money free agents is a fool's errand.
But having THE BEST player makes the bar incredibly lower for all other positions. That’s why using the patriots and chiefs (and now the bulls?!? Lol), just isn’t compelling to many of us.

And again, literally no one is arguing to “rely” on free agents. Most are arguing to use all tools at a GM’s disposal instead of trying to just lean on one whose hit rate is also exceedingly low.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Difference between long term and a rental for me.. I would take that dude for a year...
But any guy we were to go after in March I would expect long term...in which case they should be a star level pass rusher
That's the kind of terrible roster building that gets you...well, our ish edge room lol

Stout

Reaction score
So what’s the other way? Elaborate.
I've been elaborating for pages, and you don't really want to engage, but I'll bite (very briefly). Do what Monti is doing while also targeting a few bigger FAs that can bolster weak, important positions (like edge) without breaking the bank or mortgaging your future. A few, not a flurry. We have the cap room to easily have frontloaded a few deals. No long-term cap killers.

You see, not Monti nor Keim. Simple. Reasonable. Easy peasy. Your response?

Stout

Reaction score
To be honest, I don’t think most of those posters agree with monti’s philosophy, I think they are just going to agree with most of whatever a newish regime is going to do until there’s multiple seasons of 6 or fewer wins. I think that’s what always happens here with a new regime, and frankly with most teAms fans.
BCFS: Battered Cards Fan Syndrome.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
But having THE BEST player makes the bar incredibly lower for all other positions. That’s why using the patriots and chiefs (and now the bulls?!? Lol), just isn’t compelling to many of us.

And again, literally no one is arguing to “rely” on free agents. Most are arguing to use all tools at a GM’s disposal instead of trying to just lean on one whose hit rate is also exceedingly low.
LOL. I don't think you're reading the body of work so far. I agree more could have been done.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I've been elaborating for pages, and you don't really want to engage
No, you don’t. You never do because you never name these players you’re talking about. It would be actually be understandable if you did to see if it was actually reasonable or not.
Simple. Reasonable. Easy peasy
I always have the same thoughts when it is time to name these actual players you’re talking about.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I've been elaborating for pages, and you don't really want to engage, but I'll bite (very briefly). Do what Monti is doing while also targeting a few bigger FAs that can bolster weak, important positions (like edge) without breaking the bank or mortgaging your future. A few, not a flurry. We have the cap room to easily have frontloaded a few deals. No long-term cap killers.

You see, not Monti nor Keim. Simple. Reasonable. Easy peasy. Your response?
You kind of have to break the bank for edge though.

Imagine an alternate universe where the Cardinals signed two big priced free agents and both didn't work out. We've seen this happen a lot in the NFL. The core of the Cardinals just isn't strong enough right now to handle likely whiffs in free agency.

If I were Monti, I probably would have broken the bank, but I'm just a dumb fan. Many of my free agency ideas haven't worked out in the past.

Stout

Reaction score
No, you don’t. You never do because you never name these players you’re talking about. It would be actually be understandable if you did to see if it was actually reasonable or not.

I always have the same thoughts when it is time to name these actual players you’re talking about.
lol I knew you didn't want to engage. Bravo for so predictably upholding my impression of you, I suppose?

Come @ me when you actually want to discuss the issues.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

But the other good teams have pretty much done the same thing who don't have Brady or Mahomes. The Niners started their rebuild by mostly building through the draft and not making major FA signings or trades. Yes they traded for Jimmy, but that didn't work out that well for them in the long run because he just wasn't good enough.

Stout

Reaction score
But the other good teams have pretty much done the same thing who don't have Brady or Mahomes. The Niners started their rebuild by mostly building through the draft and not making major FA signings or trades. Yes they traded for Jimmy, but that didn't work out that well for them in the long run because he just wasn't good enough.
Making the SB isn't working out well enough lol

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol I knew you didn't want to engage. Bravo for so predictably upholding my impression of you, I suppose?

Come @ me when you actually want to discuss the issues.
Man, I know it can’t be that difficult to just simply look at who is(or was recently) current on the Free Agent Market or who is(or was) on the trade market. I just find that unbelievable.

Your points will never have merit until you do otherwise.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Lions traded for their QB. Niners have made big FA additions. Bengals have a top QB. We don't.
The Lion's core is largely built through the draft though, not through FA.

The Cardinals were in a similar position to where the Lions were when Campbell took over: very little talent on the roster that required extensive building through the draft.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

The Cardinals were in a similar position to where the Lions were when Campbell took over: very little talent on the roster that required extensive building through the draft.
No team runs out 25 free agents. Four of the 2023 Lions’ 13 offensive starters (counting two backs and 3 WR) were acquired from another team. Another six were on their rookie contracts.

Stout

Reaction score
Man, I know it can’t be that difficult to just simply look at who is(or was recently) current on the Free Agent Market or who is(or was) on the trade market. I just find that unbelievable.

Your points will never have merit until you do otherwise.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it drink.
Talk about logical fallacies. Wah wah, Stout can't have a point unwess he does exactwy what I say! Wah wah!

You asked a question in a sad attempt at a bait and switch, I answered honestly, you ignored it, demanded something unrelated, and started playing arbiter of points. Your standard MO. Classic DVontel.

Stout

Reaction score

So you're saying to largely build through the draft but still make a few choice big moves? Thanks for agreeing with my opinion on what Monti should do.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser