2024 Free Agency thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The 49ers have consistently made BIG trades and FA gets during Shanny’s run, right from the start trading for Jimmy G and handing him a huge contract, then trading for Trent Williams, not to mention trading for an MVP Candidate with McAffrey. They also hit a grand slam homerun when given the chance to take an impact pass rusher with Bosa. We’ve done none of that at this point.

The Chiefs have Mahommes. Any comparison to doing what they do is moot simply because of that.

The Bills have also made big splashes in trades and FA, trading for Diggs years back and then signing Von Miller. They also have a superstar QB to lean on that we don’t as of right now.

The Ravens are the closest of teams who do it almost all with draft, but they too have an MVP at QB that covers a lot of holes. We don’t have that right now.

Just saying we’re doing the right thing almost solely focusing on the draft while pointing to the best teams in the league, who have all taken various ways to get to the top, but we’re also good drafting teams isn’t much of an argument, IMO.
I think most posters aren't arguing out of spite, Cheese. I honestly think they've been scarred so badly by Keim they don't understand that you don't have to do it ALL through the draft. Any move towards anything other than conservative is being labeled as being a Keim homer. Folks have just been hurt before by the Cards and don't want to be hurt again. It's blinders of a different kind.

Stout

Reaction score
You can hide from reality all you want man. It's a standard M.O.
But there were no great edge rushers to be had... I wanted Wilkinson..but even he was a risk as a one hit wonder and was idl and not edge...because there were no top edge guys.

It makes zero sense to hate on Monti for not buying a Ferrari when the only thing available was 92 Celicas... had a Ferrari been available he may well have written the check. We will never know. But I for one am glad we ain't stacking the roster with worn out pass rushers that are either collecting social security or were never good enough to be offered a long term deal in the first place.
LOL Now I supposedly said I wanted a Ferrari (hint: I didn't say that) when I wanted Monti to address the position. You also posit the only thing available on the open market were 92 "Celicas." Two very laughable parts of an argument.

Why couldn't we have gotten one or two good old, dependable Honda Accords? Or maybe an SUV that does one good thing well?

Nah, that doesn't fit your Monti narrative. We could only go after Ferraris and "Celicas."

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
They enforce a floor; they don't make you spend it all, and they certainly don't make you get creative.
Honestly, I don't know what you mean here.

The Cardinals can't not spend the $80 million they have for 2024. That's the point and you're just wrong in what you are saying.
Edit: Oh yes, the baseball comparison definitely falls flat; it's more my frustration with having idiot owners for multiple sports teams. At least Newcastle got rid of Cashley.
Yeah different sports, different rules.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The 49ers have consistently made BIG trades and FA gets during Shanny’s run, right from the start trading for Jimmy G and handing him a huge contract, then trading for Trent Williams, not to mention trading for an MVP Candidate with McAffrey. They also hit a grand slam homerun when given the chance to take an impact pass rusher with Bosa. We’ve done none of that at this point.

The Chiefs have Mahommes. Any comparison to doing what they do is moot simply because of that.

The Bills have also made big splashes in trades and FA, trading for Diggs years back and then signing Von Miller. They also have a superstar QB to lean on that we don’t as of right now.

The Ravens are the closest of teams who do it almost all with draft, but they too have an MVP at QB that covers a lot of holes. We don’t have that right now.

Just saying we’re doing the right thing almost solely focusing on the draft while pointing to the best teams in the league, who have all taken various ways to get to the top, but we’re also good drafting teams isn’t much of an argument, IMO.
Von Miller is the poster child for what the Cardinals SHOULDN'T do.

Jimmy G sure worked out well too. The Niners would probably have a ring (or two) if they hadn't just traded for Mr. Adequate.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can hide from reality all you want man. It's a standard M.O.
But there were no great edge rushers to be had... I wanted Wilkinson..but even he was a risk as a one hit wonder and was idl and not edge...because there were no top edge guys.

It makes zero sense to hate on Monti for not buying a Ferrari when the only thing available was 92 Celicas... had a Ferrari been available he may well have written the check. We will never know. But I for one am glad we ain't stacking the roster with worn out pass rushers that are either collecting social security or were never good enough to be offered a long term deal in the first place.
Eh there were a few edge pass rushers available. I think the Cardinals have more faith in the edge rushers than we do, which I think is probably going to be the biggest mistake they have made so far.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think most posters aren't arguing out of spite, Cheese. I honestly think they've been scarred so badly by Keim they don't understand that you don't have to do it ALL through the draft. Any move towards anything other than conservative is being labeled as being a Keim homer. Folks have just been hurt before by the Cards and don't want to be hurt again. It's blinders of a different kind.
I certainly don't like black and white thinking.

I'm kind of finding myself seeing both perspectives, the sit and wait crowd vs. make every move to succeed crowd. There are merits to both arguments.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Eh there were a few edge pass rushers available. I think the Cardinals have more faith in the edge rushers than we do, which I think is probably going to be the biggest mistake they have made so far.
No "stars" ... I think ngjoukue (?) Is still available... a retread that's never really stuck anywhere

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I certainly don't like black and white thinking.

I'm kind of finding myself seeing both perspectives, the sit and wait crowd vs. make every move to succeed crowd. There are merits to both arguments.
Agree... I'm in the middle... I don't want Monti to make moves just for the sake of doing something . But if a good opportunity comes up I want him to take decisive action...even if that means paying a little more.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No "stars" ... I think ngjoukue (?) Is still available... a retread that's never really stuck anywhere
Danielle Hunter certainly qualifies and Greenard was coming off a double digit sacks season. Also Bryce Huff had a billion pressures last year as a part time guy and Reddick was available via trade.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Taking on Watt cured me:)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Danielle Hunter certainly qualifies and Greenard was coming off a double digit sacks season. Also Bryce Huff had a billion pressures last year as a part time guy and Reddick was available via trade.
Yeah..but do they fit the mold??
I mean, it's never been put in writing but I would prefer younger guys...and the team has been clear they want team first guys who love football and have a solid motor... some of those personality and work ethic issues we as fans just may never know. We hear if a guy is a cancer or an all out diva... but if he is just a leave work at work kinda guy that sees football as a job and not a life, we don't hear about it because most players see it that way.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the plan's to not try to get to the playoffs again. Gotcha. Whadya say, 2026, 2027 maybe? Wait, then those early picks will be FAs. D'oh!
If it means we can have sustained success, then yes, I’ll wait. No more stupid contracts to players who made their name elsewhere. No more building rosters that have short shelf lives. I’m fine doing that occasionally when we’re a player or two from SB contention. Certainly
not now.

Stout

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know what you mean here.

The Cardinals can't not spend the $80 million they have for 2024. That's the point and you're just wrong in what you are saying.

Yeah different sports, different rules.
You're saying the league will come down on them with fines/draft pick deductions if they only spend 75 mill?

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Guys like Hunter don't sign with 4 win teams unless you massively overpay. Josh Jacobs took less money than what we were offering just so he could be on a playoff team. You have to make the playoffs (or close) with the mid tier FAs and your drafts before you can sign stars.

Stout

Reaction score
If it means we can have sustained success, then yes, I’ll wait. No more stupid contracts to players who made their name elsewhere. No more building rosters that have short shelf lives. I’m fine doing that occasionally when we’re a player or two from SB contention. Certainly
not now.
If it were a direct correlation, then sure, sign me up. There's every chance we go on a slow as molasses rebuild and we still suck, in which case we've wasted like 6 or 7 seasons before starting over again.

Why don't we mostly build through the draft and lower to mid FAs, while picking our spots in trading for top talent and signing top talent? Spend the cap space for the here and now without mortgaging the future? But no, I'm constantly barraged with hate that this is Keim speak and there is no middle ground.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Guys like Hunter don't sign with 4 win teams unless you massively overpay.
Eh, I think most players take the bigger payday regardless.
Josh Jacobs took less money than what we were offering just so he could be on a playoff team.
So he says...
You have to make the playoffs (or close) with the mid tier FAs and your drafts before you can sign stars.
I don't know if this is true. The Bears signed quite a few guys a few years ago when they were wretched. The players care less about the teams that we do. This is a business for them.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
If it were a direct correlation, then sure, sign me up. There's every chance we go on a slow as molasses rebuild and we still suck, in which case we've wasted like 6 or 7 seasons before starting over again.

Why don't we mostly build through the draft and lower to mid FAs, while picking our spots in trading for top talent and signing top talent? Spend the cap space for the here and now without mortgaging the future? But no, I'm constantly barraged with hate that this is Keim speak and there is no middle ground.
This first part is what Monti has done so far.

He's being conservative because they want to evaluate the rostered players, which is certainly understandable. Monti has bigger balls than I do, because I'm not sold that even with Ojulari that edge was good enough.

If you look at the contenders, most of their splash trades and/or big free agent signings were made when they were already pretty good. Making a trade requires giving up cheap young players that you could get with draft picks. I'd rather they go this route if 1) they are unexpectedly good this season (2024) 2) next off-season when they have a much better grasp on where the roster actually stands. Too many unknowns right now.

Stout

Reaction score
This first part is what Monti has done so far.

He's being conservative because they want to evaluate the rostered players, which is certainly understandable. Monti has bigger balls than I do, because I'm not sold that even with Ojulari that edge was good enough.

If you look at the contenders, most of their splash trades and/or big free agent signings were made when they were already pretty good. Making a trade requires giving up cheap young players that you could get with draft picks. I'd rather they go this route if 1) they are unexpectedly good this season (2024) 2) next off-season when they have a much better grasp on where the roster actually stands. Too many unknowns right now.
lol You missed the rest of the sentence and missed the point completely.

You don't get multiple seasons to slowly and methodically evaluate the roster before you react. That's overly passive show-your-belly management. He had a full offseason and then a full season to evaluate the roster. That was more than enough time to prepare to act this current offseason, and especially to know that the edge room was lacking.

If you're legit trying to say he needed more time to evaluate the edge room, well, that's not how (good) NFL teams work.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You're the only one stuck on "stars" dude.
Difference between long term and a rental for me.. I would take that dude for a year...
But any guy we were to go after in March I would expect long term...in which case they should be a star level pass rusher

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
lol You missed the rest of the sentence and missed the point completely.

You don't get multiple seasons to slowly and methodically evaluate the roster before you react.
You do when you have young, high picks at positions and tons of needs elsewhere.

Pretty much the only shot at getting a legit edge was to trade up for the iffy 1st rounders or blow wads on risky FAs.

The Cardinals had big needs at WR and CB too and they did a pretty bang up job filling those holes for the most part while saving flexibility.
That's overly passive show-your-belly management. He had a full offseason and then a full season to evaluate the roster. That was more than enough time to prepare to act this current offseason, and especially to know that the edge room was lacking.
FA has about a 25% hit rate and most of the edge guys had some major question marks
If you're legit trying to say he needed more time to evaluate the edge room, well, that's not how (good) NFL teams work.
I think it's further evaluation needed and not quite enough draft capital.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yep, you either have to do it Keim's way or Monti's way. There's no other way. How many lols can I type here? @DVontel, have you never heard of nuance? Black and white thinking isn't a good thing, bud.
So what’s the other way? Elaborate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser