2024 Free Agency thread

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
BS.
Asking someone to put a name to it is simply asking what they see/saw as a solution rather than just emo dumping negativity on the board.
"Come with solutions" has always been the right thing to do. It actually adds to the conversation and elicits buy in to agreeing on a solution.
While I agree it adds to the conversation the absence of names still doesn’t negate his argument. So you’re BS. (I am sticking my tongue out at you)

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
1h
Veteran free-agent safety Tashaun Gipson, who played in Jacksonville from 2016-‘18, is returning to the Jaguars on a one-year deal, per source. Gipson was suspended for first six games, but will complete the preseason, then re-join the team following his suspension.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The Cards have NEVER signed a big prime time free agent in their prime.
Why is this even being talked about?
Their big time players acquired, Hopkins and Jones were acquired via trade. Thats why I wanted Burns for his ridiculously low cost.
I remember when there were reports of Burns costing 2 number 1s. The Cards could have had him for a 2nd and 4th. A young player in his prime who would’ve immediately been the best player on the defensive side of the ball while also filling the biggest hole on the defense.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cards have NEVER signed a big prime time free agent in their prime.
Why is this even being talked about?
Their big time players acquired, Hopkins and Jones were acquired via trade. Thats why I wanted Burns for his ridiculously low cost.
I remember when there were reports of Burns costing 2 number 1s. The Cards could have had him for a 2nd and 4th. A young player in his prime who would’ve immediately been the best player on the defensive side of the ball while also filling the biggest hole on the defense.
think this is a bit of an overstatement. Bert Berry was a pretty sought after FA in 2004 and was in his prime at age 27. And people thought Edgerrin James was a big FA when we signed him at age 27.

And the OG from the Niners was thought to be a pretty big get after the 2014 season (can't remember his name... which doesn't exactly scream he was a prime time FA, but I digress).

But yeah... when those three are the biggest names I can remember in over 35 years of the Cards existence in AZ, it kinda points to their reluctance to ever make a big splash in FA.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
think this is a bit of an overstatement. Bert Berry was a pretty sought after FA in 2004 and was in his prime at age 27. And people thought Edgerrin James was a big FA when we signed him at age 27.

And the OG from the Niners was thought to be a pretty big get after the 2014 season (can't remember his name... which doesn't exactly scream he was a prime time FA, but I digress).

But yeah... when those three are the biggest names I can remember in over 35 years of the Cards existence in AZ, it kinda points to their reluctance to ever make a big splash in FA.
Mike Iupati

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I dunno. We signed Beverly at age 29 on his third contract. He had 11.5 sacks his walk year in Denver but 13.5 in the six years prior in the NFL (not counting a one-year stint in Canada).

Iupati was a marquee signing at the time, I agree.

Edge was also his third contract, signed for his age 28 year, and widely criticized as being comparable to signing Emmitt Smith. Still have good feelings about that signing tho.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. We signed Beverly at age 29 on his third contract. He had 11.5 sacks his walk year in Denver but 13.5 in the six years prior in the NFL (not counting a one-year stint in Canada).
chatgpt did me dirty there. i thought he was older initially but used skynet instead of google.
Iupati was a marquee signing at the time, I agree.
Edge was also his third contract, signed for his age 28 year, and widely criticized as being comparable to signing Emmitt Smith. Still have good feelings about that signing tho.
i remember some of that, but it wasn't quite emmitt smith level bad, who barely cracked 1K at age 33, while Edge had just come off a 1500 yard rushing, 379 receiving and 12 TDs at age 28.

regardless, when those are your three biggest signings in almost 40 years, it says something about what the team does in FA.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

I don't recall Bertrand Berry being a super sought-after FA back then. I remember that era pretty well (almost more than 5 years ago sometimes, lol), and if I have it right, he had been considered a disappointment in his early years. I believe the Rams cut him, he played in the CFL, and then had a surprise 10-sack season with the Broncos, but was considered like the 4th-5th DE out there.

Edit: K9 beat me to it. But I was going off of memory. Haha.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I recall Edge being a really, really big deal, and people didn't think he'd even come here. He was on the cover of either ESPN the Magazine, Sports Illustrated, or one of the other major publications of the day with a big article about how the Cardinals were finally serious about winning. I remember my dad buying it for me and giving it to me when I got home from high school.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recall Edge being a really, really big deal, and people didn't think he'd even come here. He was on the cover of either ESPN the Magazine, Sports Illustrated, or one of the other major publications of the day with a big article about how the Cardinals were finally serious about winning. I remember my dad buying it for me and giving it to me when I got home from high school.
yeah... dude was coming off back to back 1800 combined yard, 10+ TDs seasons and this was only the beginning of the era where RBs started to get devalued once they reached his age.

man, was I STUNNED to see how slow he looked on the Cards.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
·
2h
Chargers are signing free-agent linebacker Shaquille Quarterman, whom the Eagles released Sunday.

Reaction score
Probably because it is not true, Cbus. :) Both Jared Veldheer and Mike Iupati were considered top two or three on the open market at their position when the Cards signed them.
Wouldn't JJ Watt be considered as well or was he already mentioned? I guess he really wasn't in his prime at the time though but he was still damn good. When he wasn't injured. ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It's always been about how good they are at drafting.
The whole point of all of this is people have claimed that they just utilized the draft to build their team to strength, which has so clearly been proven false. They spent big money in FA, and also acquired some of their most important players via trade.

There isn't one road to success, and the idea that all of their success was via good drafting is not accurate. Further, if we continue to only utilize the draft for significant improvement vs. FA and trades as well, that's an incredibly narrow road to success. We're going to basically waste TWO YEARS not seriously trying to compete to prove the strategy right. Good luck with that.

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
Sources: Free agent WR Martavis Bryant is working out for the #Commanders Tuesday.

This will be his second visit in recent months with Washington.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pprat