5 things you LOVE about the Dallas Mavericks

supernova

Rookie
Reaction score
Where’s the love?

In light of the rather brutal and venomous thread from the Mavs board “10 things you hate about the Suns” I thought it might be fun to respond in a completely inappropriate manner. Alas, I could only turn the cheek so many times before the love began turning to irritation, so found myself only halfway up to the challenge.

If you consider this an exercise in masochism or merely beneath the stoic restraint of Suns fans in general, feel free to ignore this thread.

5 things I love about the Mavs
  • I love Josh Howard’s versatility.
  • I love the team’s quickness – even if they appear sluggish in comparison to the Suns
  • I love Dirk’s balls-to-the-wall passion, as well his Jump shot
  • I love that Mark Cuban – despite is overall insufferability – is responsive to fans
  • I love that Dirk and Nash have remained good friends despite their rivalry.
5 things I hate about the Mavs – and Dallas

5. I hate Mark Cuban. The above-mentioned responsiveness to fans cannot even begin to make up for his legion flaws, too numerous to mention here. Suffice it to say that spoiled rotten fan-boys with billions of dollars to throw around are not the most endearing of creatures.

4. I hate the constant whining of Mavs fans. They take the green-eyed-monster jealousy to painful depths, never missing an opportunity to trash the Phoenix suns in general and Steve Nash in particular. If we’re such a non-threat, why the defensive posture?

3. I hate the scientists who accidentally let Dirk escape after he was thawed along with several other Neanderthal specimens, frozen in the ice of Wurzburg, Germany.

2. I hate David Hasselhoff.

[FONT=&quot]1. I hate the anti-castro Cuban exiles who conspired with the CIA to whack JFK in Dallas on November 22nd, 1963

*Rant end
[/FONT]

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Love the evolution of Dirk's game.
Love watching Avery Johnson's expression when he's pissed, priceless.
Love hearing him during press conferences :D
Love the passion of their fans. (Does not include the obnoxious trolling at times)

*Couldn't come up with a 5th one

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
5. I love the fact that Cuban is such a free spender, most analysts didn't recognize the Daniels/Croshere trade as the simple salary dump that it was.

4. I admire Nowitzki's mental toughness. Losing the 2005 playoff series to Nash killed him, but he has come back strong. Too bad he still looks like Chris Kaman after a makeover from Queer Eye.

3. I admire Stackhouse's willingness to be a role player off the bench, sort of like Chambers did during the Barkley years. Remember, this guy averaged 30 (!) points a game in 2000-01 and is still only 32 years old.

2. I love that Michael Finley and Shawn Bradley are still on their payroll for cap purposes -- for another year after this one!

1. I LOVE the YouTube video of Avery Johnson punching Josh Howard in the balls. Classic.

Reaction score
i LOVE how they are such a great defensive team but yet i still see opponents scoring 100

i LOVE when avery johnson slipped last year against us in the playoffs hahahah

i LOVE how goofy dirk ALWAYS looks ALL the time

I LOVE how dirk can shoot anywhere

I LOVE how cuban is so funny sometimes

I HATE the MAVERICKS

I HATE HOW THEY ALWAYS BEAT THE SUNS

I HATE HOW MAVERICKS GIVE BJS TO THE REFS TO HELP THEM OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE

I HATE MARK CUBAN HE ACTS LIKE A BITCH

I HATE HOW DIRK COMPLAINS

I HATE DIRK I HATE DIRK I HATE DIRK I HATE DIRK

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
I Like Avery Johnson and how he describes how his team uses "their ath-le-ti-ci-sm" and how they play "de-fence"
I also like how they have ps2's in their lockers

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I love their good record... it is pushing our team hard right now.
I love Dirk's game... guts and glory
I love Avery Johnson's nickname - the little general.
I love the inferiority complex of the Mavs fans
I love how Stackhouse sings the "Star Spangled Banner" - and does it very well!

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- I love watching Dirk shoot. Straight up, falling forwards, falling backwards -- doesn't matter. His aim is always on, and he doesn't have to worry about shooting over anyone (except maybe Tim Duncan).

- I love Josh Howard's complimentary game. He just fits in on both sides of the ball and doesn't whine or complain about his role. He's become even more assertive as they've asked him to step up into leadership.

- I love how Avery Johnson has taken Dirk and the Frankenstein roster and turned it into a team. I don't know how he did it. I look at their roster and see one great player, one good player, and an assortment of guys who wouldn't really fit in elsewhere. They're sort of like the NBA's version of the 70s/80s Raiders in that aspect. They somehow generate a good chunk of offense without an identifiable playmaker.

- I love how the Mavs found a way to competitive almost immediately from their inception in 1980, and usually have enough sense to recover when things go awry, or when stars age. They've been a consistently good organization, even if they haven't always been on track with ownership before Cuban.

- I love Dallas because I have many friends there, some even with the good sense to root for a team other than the Cowboys. Especially in Denton, if y'all will allow me to include that in "greater Dallas." Lots of good friends in the music program at North Texas. Great drum school!

BigBinBigD

Reaction score
Another Dallas troll here. Most of these posts are spot-on with how I feel. Especially about Cuban. Hate his personna and constant whining, but gotta love his passion for trying to win it all. There's just much better ways to go about it.

As for the Suns, yeah, there's definitely some envy here about all the love they've been getting this year. But I will have to admit, they're more fun to watch to fans outside of their city than the Mavs are. Only real Mavs fans like to watch them now as they've kinda taken the Spurs mantra of hanging around and taking over at the end of games with execution and stops.

I want the Mavs to win the title SO bad this year and realize the Suns may be the only thing stopping them. But I still enjoy watching the Suns play. And Nash is unbelievable. Not anymore than he was when he was here though. He was just as good then, he just didn't have Amare and Marion.

BigBinBigD

Reaction score
- I love watching Dirk shoot. Straight up, falling forwards, falling backwards -- doesn't matter. His aim is always on, and he doesn't have to worry about shooting over anyone (except maybe Tim Duncan).

- I love Josh Howard's complimentary game. He just fits in on both sides of the ball and doesn't whine or complain about his role. He's become even more assertive as they've asked him to step up into leadership.

- I love how Avery Johnson has taken Dirk and the Frankenstein roster and turned it into a team. I don't know how he did it. I look at their roster and see one great player, one good player, and an assortment of guys who wouldn't really fit in elsewhere. They're sort of like the NBA's version of the 70s/80s Raiders in that aspect. They somehow generate a good chunk of offense without an identifiable playmaker.

- I love how the Mavs found a way to competitive almost immediately from their inception in 1980, and usually have enough sense to recover when things go awry, or when stars age. They've been a consistently good organization, even if they haven't always been on track with ownership before Cuban.

- I love Dallas because I have many friends there, some even with the good sense to root for a team other than the Cowboys. Especially in Denton, if y'all will allow me to include that in "greater Dallas." Lots of good friends in the music program at North Texas. Great drum school!

Your fourth love is a little off. They were THE worst pro franchise of the 90's. Absolutley insufferable. Couldn't give my tix away. And they were great seats.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember one year they won only 13 games or something. But overall, they've been pretty successful since their inception. What's the franchise regular-season winning percentage, .530 or so? That's quite good.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do I love about the Mavericks?

1. How can anyone not love Dirk's game? To me the MVP is either Nash or him.

2. I love how they make the "America's Team" aka the Cowboys irrelevant in their own city.

3. I love how they have toughened up after a tough series in the finals. They play with a serious chip on their shoulders.

4. I love how they give the Suns a real rival and a bar of excellence. The Suns and Mavs should push each other all season to the benefit of both team's fans.

5. I love how the Maverick's management is never satisfied. They overhauled their bench after losing the NBA Finals where as many teams would have been complacent.

I do not like Cuban at all. I believe he is an attention *****.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I love Josh Howard's game.
I love the humor provided by some Dallas fans.
I love their jersey colors.
I love their locker rooms.
I like Diop, great shot blocker.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your fourth love is a little off. They were THE worst pro franchise of the 90's. Absolutley insufferable. Couldn't give my tix away. And they were great seats.

Sometimes even great management can't overcome a few mistakes or an ownership group that's not on the same page. Dallas paid dearly for the 3 J's. I think there's lot of forgiveness for that, because it looked so promising to people on the outside. I've always had a positive image of the Mavs' organization, even when they weren't winning.

TheFallen49

Veteran
Reaction score
Hello, Mavericks fan here who loves watching the Suns play (but loves hating them too, hey it's a rivalry). Since we have so many Suns 'trolls' on our board I figure it should be okay if I make myself at home on your boards and read your perspectives on the leagues two best teams as well.

5 Reasons I love the Mavericks:
- Dirk Nowitzki: the poster boy for the revolution at the 4, legit MVP contender, and one of the most efficient players in the league
- Josh Howard: makes me smile everytime I think every other team passed on him in the draft
- Depth: When you have Stackhouse, George, Buckner, and Diop coming off the bench you can't complain
- They have one true all-star caliber player and yet are perrenial contenders
- Improving: They lost Nash (the MVP) and somehow came out with a better record than when he was in Dallas. Mind boggling.

5 Reasons I hate the Mavericks
- Diop is offensively ********
- Damp is on that same level although he can at least dunk
- They often play down to their opponents level ex. recent Memphis win by 1 point
- They haven't won a championship yet
- They won't finish 82-0, slackers

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- Damp is on that same level although he can at least dunk

Dampier = Mark West II, but probably not half the man. That's not saying much, though. I'm not half the man Mark West is. Westie did develop a reliable 12-foot bank shot over time, but he and the refs were never on the same page. Guy racked up fouls like they were going out of style.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Umm I absolutely loathe the Mavs - I realize this thread is tounge and cheek but the only thing i like about the team is the emblem (the horse one) and the name "mavericks".....And you have to have respect for Dirk

But heres why i hate them:

Top of the list - Mark Cuban: Yeah he spends money - but like CS said he is an attention *****, thinks he is bigger and smarter than the game, doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, wears the most ridiculous clothes for a billionaire (at least where a Derek Harper throwback or something), and loves to dig at everybody. I cant understand how everyone on this board doesn't have contempt for him after those comments about Nash on Letterman. Totally classless.

I hate how people think Josh Howard is an all star when he couldn't hold Joe Johnsons junk in a box

I hate how anyone who dons that uniform beomces whiny

I hate the accent, bible thumping, overall demeanor of "Napoloean part 2"

I hate how they think they are the 80's Detroit Pistons all of a sudden

I hate how Jerry Stackhouse is punk who punched Jeff Hornecek

I hate the bush league antics they pull at the arena

I hate Del Harris

I hate Don Nelson

I hate the Cowboys

I hate the show "Dallas"

I hate the movie "Maverick"

I hate former Laker Devean George

I hate the face of Darrell Armstrong (is he even on the team anymore?)

I hate Jason Terry and his JET antics (even though he went to UA)

I hate PG's from Wisconsin

I hate their calvacade of assistants

I hate Cuban running on to the floor

I hate Cubans blogging

I hate how their fans think that George, Buckner, and Diop are good depth. Please the difference between those guys and Jalen Rose, Jumaine Jones, and Sean Marks is that Johnson gives them a chance to play.

I hate Greensboro Hill;)

I LOOOOVE how they choked in the Finals last year

I hate how they think they would have beat us last year with a healty Raja Bell

I hate how they forget we beat them the year before w/o the services of JJ at the end

But most of all I hate how they win. I really hate it. Its a credit to their coach and best player though because i dont think their talent is even close to ours...

Screw the Mavericks

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Umm I absolutely loathe the Mavs - I realize this thread is tounge and cheek but the only thing i like about the team is the emblem (the horse one) and the name "mavericks".....And you have to have respect for Dirk

But heres why i hate them:

Top of the list - Mark Cuban: Yeah he spends money - but like CS said he is an attention *****, thinks he is bigger and smarter than the game, doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, wears the most ridiculous clothes for a billionaire (at least where a Derek Harper throwback or something), and loves to dig at everybody. I cant understand how everyone on this board doesn't have contempt for him after those comments about Nash on Letterman. Totally classless.

I hate how people think Josh Howard is an all star when he couldn't hold Joe Johnsons junk in a box

I hate how anyone who dons that uniform beomces whiny

I hate the accent, bible thumping, overall demeanor of "Napoloean part 2"

I hate how they think they are the 80's Detroit Pistons all of a sudden

I hate how Jerry Stackhouse is punk who punched Jeff Hornecek

I hate the bush league antics they pull at the arena

I hate Del Harris

I hate Don Nelson

I hate the Cowboys

I hate the show "Dallas"

I hate the movie "Maverick"

I hate former Laker Devean George

I hate the face of Darrell Armstrong (is he even on the team anymore?)

I hate Jason Terry and his JET antics (even though he went to UA)

I hate PG's from Wisconsin

I hate their calvacade of assistants

I hate Cuban running on to the floor

I hate Cubans blogging

I hate how their fans think that George, Buckner, and Diop are good depth. Please the difference between those guys and Jalen Rose, Jumaine Jones, and Sean Marks is that Johnson gives them a chance to play.

I hate Greensboro Hill;)

I LOOOOVE how they choked in the Finals last year

I hate how they think they would have beat us last year with a healty Raja Bell

I hate how they forget we beat them the year before w/o the services of JJ at the end

But most of all I hate how they win. I really hate it. Its a credit to their coach and best player though because i dont think their talent is even close to ours...

Screw the Mavericks

I agree entirely with this post... However, if we don't learn how to play defense and how to get "the" stop when we need it, well...

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I love the way Dirk gives the Sasquatch sign in Greensboro's sig.
I love the way Cuban made an ___ out of himself in last years finals.
I love the way the little general looks like an angry fish.
I love the way Cuban rationalized letting Nash go.
I love the contract Cuban gave Dampier.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
I can't come up with 5, but

1. I love Dirk's cold-blooded game--god, can he make impossible shots.
2. I love the way Cuban scientifically analyzed the new ball and embarrassed Dumbo Stern.
3. I love the way they wear out the Spurs, and vice versa. Needed to work a little harder on this in the '06 playoffs.
4. I envy their depth--love, I suppose, since I would gladly trade our 8-14 for theirs--but then no doubt our own unused bench would sting us bad....

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how Mavs fans fall back argument always goes back the royal choke job finals appearence last year despite walking away with the same number of titles as Phoenix in the end. :doi:

I love how Avery Johnson considers the Mavs a "Points in the Paint team" but the statistics show they score less then the Spurs and Suns in the paint. :koolaid:

I love how Mavs fans keep saying we can't get stops when we need yet there have been several games that say otherwise (like Spurs) and as if 4 out of 7 games in a series would come down to a miracle Dirk shot. :rolleyes:

I love how the Mavs fans call our regular season record fools gold but if you apply that logic to last year's Heat team against the elite and the results?!?! Then I say thank you Mavs fans..that's a compliment. :thumbup:

Most of all I love Mavs fans because they easily get their feelings hurt and the 4 things above I just said just made it even worse. ;)

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This is great. I love this thread.
things i love about the suns:
I love steve nash. I always thought he was underrated in dallas, i guess i'm just one of those mavs fans that cries about not getting enough credit. The nash trade was great for phoenix, steve, and dirk. Who would of thought dirk's ol' pal could still help him in a different city. But nash was part of the triplets(not the cowboys) that brought dallas out of the cellar.

I love watching amare and marion fly like mike.

I love the way the suns perfect the pick and roll(not pick and pop like the mavs did under jump shot nelly).

I love the passionate suns fans. Eventhough, there appears to be hate between some mavs and suns fans......i'd like to think that is a small % of crazy people. I think the suns have some of the best fans in the nba.

I love attending suns home games. Next to watching my mavs......it's by far the best ticket in b-ball.

too many loves for the mavs so i won't bore you guys to death. I will say thought that i love avery johnson. I love how he has just come in off the bench and taken over this team. He is the epitome of what a father would want his son to be. He is a wonderful leader on and off the court. He has somehow completely changed the attitude of this team and somehow has them playing better basketball despite the loss of an overpaid finley and THE MVP who is going to go down as one of the best PG's of all time. 4 years ago i would have never thought that avery would be coaching the mavs to the best record in basketball(at least for the moment) and the MVP nash would be a sword in the side of all mavs fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05