a few worrisome comments . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
in yesterday's article i read a few disturbing items. these paragraphs actually pissed me off a bit:

"D'Antoni said he did not want to go beyond Marcus Banks, who has played in five straight games, because the others are not ready to play and inserting them would be unfair.

"I trust our guys to play with fouls," D'Antoni said. "I want them to learn to play with fouls, as I want them to learn to play without me calling time out."

He said the Suns could learn from how they played Deron Williams and Okur in the two-man game for how it applies to Jason Terry and Dirk Nowitzki when they see Dallas again. The close of the game also had an effect on Boris Diaw, who missed three of four free throws in the final 30 seconds."

"not ready to play and inserting them would be unfair" . . . are you friggin' kidding me? they've been with the team all season and they're not ready to play? so instead we run our players into the ground? amare had little gas at the end of the game! and what the hell is the bench for if not for games when we're short-handed and have foul trouble?

"I want them to learn to play with fouls . . . " ugh. in other words, you want them to learn to play ole' defense, b/c that's the only way to play with fouls and it was apparent during the jazz game. both marion and barbs became defenseless b/c they were "learning to play with fouls." speaking of which, i think the marion on the pg experiment is done. it was incredibly crafty to use against cassell in the playoffs last year, but it worked for a reason, cassell is not quick. he relies on bullying other pgs and he couldn't do that with marion. when i see marion on other pgs now they routinely blow by him like deron williams did time and time again. coach d needs to realize that it was a gimmick defense that has limited application and shouldn't be used carte blanche.

"I want them to learn to play without me calling a timeout" - again, why??? what's the reasoning? coach d has gotten better at calling the run-stemming TO, but he's still not good at it, and this quote screams to me that he doesn't believe in it. jerry sloan did it a few times last satty night and cheese, my other bro, and pops, and called it when it was coming. and they worked! i think coach d likes to throw out the conventional just to throw out the conventional at times. the timeout is a weapon. it should be used.

and we're going to learn how to play terry/dirk from how we played deron/okur??? does that mean we're gonna plan to give up 57 pts to terry and dirk? i guess that might be an upgrade after giving up 50 to dirk in the playoffs last year, but my god they did an awful job on deron and okur.

i know it was just two outta three games. and i'm not losing my mind. but i think that jazz game was a bad loss and these comments really make me question coach d's sanity.

while i'm ranting . . . what the hell is wrong with some fans? we had lower bowl seats and were raising hell. the four people sitting in front of us sat stoically all game. they didn't stand. they didn't cheer. they didn't even clap. the only time they did anything was when the announcer told the stadium to stand and make noise. i was flabbergasted.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I agree that Jalen and Jumaine Jones should have received playing time. They have been starters for other squads but suddenly they're not ready to contribute? It's total BS considering our injuries.

In regards to the fans at Suns games it is quite pathetic. I recall an incident earlier this year where Tammillionaire and High Stakes got in a fight with another Suns fan for cheering too loud. Cheerling too loud for the home team? Ridiculous.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that Jalen and Jumaine Jones should have received playing time. They have been starters for other squads but suddenly they're not ready to contribute? It's total BS considering our injuries.

In regards to the fans at Suns games it is quite pathetic. I recall an incident earlier this year where Tammillionaire and High Stakes got in a fight with another Suns fan for cheering too loud. Cheerling too loud for the home team? Ridiculous.

I cannot echo this any better. I have said it before and I will say it again. Mike D is mismanaging the starters and bench on this team. Yes it's great we have gone on these runs and we are exciting to watch. However, his lack of development on this bench will HAUNT us in the playoffs.

Also, I have to say that I think the Suns fans have been better this year. From the time of the Barkley run and the last 10 years, people would look at you funny if you cheered too loud. WTF? Over the last couple seasons, it's gotten alot better. I am loud at games as home fans should be. I have noticed fewer and fewer blue hairs which I think has helped.

Last edited:

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
<<<"I want them to learn to play without me calling a timeout" - again, why???>>>

Depending on where they are in the game, that's Phil Jackson's longtime philosophy too.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion D'Antoni gets the benefit of the doubt. But if the Suns are healthy and don't win it all, he has a lot of explaining to do, both as a GM and a coach.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still of the opinion D'Antoni gets the benefit of the doubt. But if the Suns are healthy and don't win it all, he has a lot of explaining to do, both as a GM and a coach.

On most fronts I agree. However, our bench as been an issue since Nash got here. I can't give him a pass there.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's one thing being stubborn about your bench and defense when you have the hardware. It's quite another to be stubborn about it when your bench and defense have caused you to lose in consecutive postseasons, not to mention when your "system" or a comparbale one has never yielded an NBA Championship since forever.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
It's not like we're the Atlanta Hawks here. Everybody is freaking out over miniscule details based on the wording of an answer to a question. Until we go on a 5 game losing streak, there isn't a lot of ammunition here for those negative fans.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not like we're the Atlanta Hawks here. Everybody is freaking out over miniscule details based on the wording of an answer to a question. Until we go on a 5 game losing streak, there isn't a lot of ammunition here for those negative fans.

I really didn't take anything anybody said above as the sky is falling type stuff. Only fans bringing up some legit concerns. I agree there is no need to panic but our bench play for the last 3 years speaks for itself. There is not alot to criticize the Suns for this year but the usage of our starter and bench is legit to gripe about especially come playoff time. I don't think it's necessarily negative to point out what is perceived as a weakness for this team.

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
I really didn't take anything anybody said above as the sky is falling type stuff. Only fans bringing up some legit concerns. I agree there is no need to panic but our bench play for the last 3 years speaks for itself. There is not alot to criticize the Suns for this year but the usage of our starter and bench is legit to gripe about especially come playoff time. I don't think it's necessarily negative to point out what is perceived as a weakness for this team.

Depth is a regular season thing. 8 man rotations are the norm in the playoffs. You guys have that when KT is back. The issue is, your coach doesn't want to sacrafice regular season wins for the health stamina of your core players come april, may, and june.

OP
OP
Ouchie-Z-Clown

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

you must have misinterpreted my "i am not losing my mind over this" as meaning, "i'm not losing my mind over this, but i am freaking out over miniscule details . . . "

c'mon chap. we're given comments and i'm commenting on them. what's the big deal?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depth is a regular season thing. 8 man rotations are the norm in the playoffs. You guys have that when KT is back. The issue is, your coach doesn't want to sacrafice regular season wins for the health stamina of your core players come april, may, and june.

I dislike agreeing with a Dallas fan :) , but you have this correct.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
It's one thing being stubborn about your bench and defense when you have the hardware. It's quite another to be stubborn about it when your bench and defense have caused you to lose in consecutive postseasons, not to mention when your "system" or a comparbale one has never yielded an NBA Championship since forever.

That comment may have been directed to my comparison with PJ's "no time out -- figure it out yourselves" philosophy. If so, it's a philosophy he still holds and last year's results with that team don't seem to have changed his mind. Regarding all of LA's past accomplishments, then is then and now is now. Phil apparently still sees some value in that approach.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That comment may have been directed to my comparison with PJ's "no time out -- figure it out yourselves" philosophy. If so, it's a philosophy he still holds and last year's results with that team don't seem to have changed his mind. Regarding all of LA's past accomplishments, then is then and now is now. Phil apparently still sees some value in that approach.

It's all a part of the Zen philosophy or pseudo-philosophy (Americanized version) that when groups learn they have to solve problems together, teamwork because more organic and less person-to-person. Players are forced to take roles rather than waiting for top-down assignment.

It works with the right personnel. With the wrong personnel, it's a train wreck.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It's all a part of the Zen philosophy or pseudo-philosophy (Americanized version) that when groups learn they have to solve problems together, teamwork because more organic and less person-to-person.

I thought Jackson mainly followed the Zen aphorism, "He who sleep with daughter of boss no have to make small talk at family dinner."

Reaction score

this is quite true commish....High stakes and myself did get into a scuffle simply because we were cheering for a beloved phx suns...it was simply disgusting that someone would be so crazy enough to try and fight someone simply for cheering for your favorite team... Yes overall, the fans have been a little better this year than previous years, but it is still pretty bad...and as for Mike D's comments, it is pretty ridiculous that he does not feel some of his players are ready...These are PRO ATHLETES that are paid millions to do their job when they are put into the game...it is hard to do that when they dont get a shot. Jalen is a vetran player that knows what to do when he is on the floor. Give him a chance for god sake's and let some of our starters regain their stamina...these recent losses have come from the simple fact that our starters are getting hurt and tired..simple as that

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
It's all a part of the Zen philosophy or pseudo-philosophy (Americanized version) that when groups learn they have to solve problems together, teamwork because more organic and less person-to-person. Players are forced to take roles rather than waiting for top-down assignment.

It works with the right personnel. With the wrong personnel, it's a train wreck.

Don't misunderstand -- I'd be the last to hope D'Antoni emulates PJ -- I was just pointing out that it's not exactly a new idea. No question that TO's to stop an opponent's run can be very effective. D'Antoni's said several times, though, he believes they all know what they should be doing on the court so maybe he trusts in that too long.

Anyway, right now the Suns are doing very well in the area of teamwork, better than most. I don't think we have to worry he'll be passing out the zen books for in-flight reading material with this poker-playing bunch.

btw, no chance of precipitation in Denver today...........

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KC Jones won titles in Boston while playing 7 or fewer players and the Celtics ran a lot. Bitching about the lack of bench use, in my opinion, ignores the real Suns weakness, which is the inability to match up with teams that have several effective tall players.

Dallas is better than we are. Utah isn't but they match up well with us and Sloan teams have always given us trouble. The Lakers might beat us too in the match-up department this year.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bitching about the lack of bench use, in my opinion, ignores the real Suns weakness, which is the inability to match up with teams that have several effective tall players.

It's amazing how a no-frills non-star player like Kurt Thomas changes the entire dynamics of a team like the Suns, isn't it? Insert him back into the lineup and suddenly our stars are taking advantage of mismatches, not trying to cover up mismatches elsewhere.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
D'Antoni knows perfectly well that his guys are smaller and usually weaker than the Suns opponents. He also knows that no other team puts five serious scorers on the court all the time, which is why opponents struggle stopping this team.

It is like a game of chicken. Can your bigs run well enough to get back on defense? If not, then playing volleyball on the offensive glass won't be enough.

No one can stop the Suns if they are hitting their outside shots and don't throw the ball away. That's scary, because almost every team has at least one guy who is not a threat to score - meaning the Suns only have to defend against four guys and often three.

As a rule, the Suns create open shots, but when they are cold they struggle - except that they have Amare. You can't use three guys to stop Amare and still defend three. Obviously against the Jazz, the Suns did not shoot all that well and missed let the Jazz "physical defense" (which looks suspiciously like fouling) get into their heads. Still, the Suns lost because they didnt shoot their free throws.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
He who bounces ball, bounces life.

[Meaning, one that will change your whole outlook, supplied for only $50.00.)