A guy whose name i haven't seen mentioned

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
While talking about all the possible replacements if Green gets canned, the one guy whose name i haven't seen anybody talk about is Charlie Weis. Maybe i overlooked it and he has been talked about but getting him in here to bring along Leinart would have to be a good thing. He would cost alot of money but you would also wouldn't have to hire an OC because he would fill that role. I know he signed a long term contract at ND but there are always outs in those contracts and i'm sure he has one to move on to the NFL. Throw in the fact that ND gets pounded whenever they play an elite team like Michigan or Ohio State and he may opt out. I know he was hot on some you guys list when Green was hired and he has proven to do quite a bit with the limited talent at ND. I'm not ripping on ND, well maybe a little, but their admissions requirements make it harder for them to compete against the big boys. That may also factor into Weis eventually wanting to go. Just a thought.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
i have talked about weis in some recent threads. i was pimping weis before green was hired. i don't know if weis would leave notre dame. there are rumors in san diego that marty schottenheimer is on the hot seat. if this is true i would love for marty become the cardinals next head coach. i know he is a little old, but you can't agrue about the results he has.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i have talked about weis in some recent threads. i was pimping weis before green was hired. i don't know if weis would leave notre dame. there are rumors in san diego that marty schottenheimer is on the hot seat. if this is true i would love for marty become the cardinals next head coach. i know he is a little old, but you can't agrue about the results he has.
Why is Marty on the hot seat with the start the Chargers have. Does he have some issues with owners?

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why is Marty on the hot seat with the start the Chargers have. Does he have some issues with owners?

the rumor is that the gm for the chargers does not like him. they clash all the time. i guess smith is tired of marty for whatever reason. to me all marty does is win. i know he hasn't taken a team to the superbowl, but there is a first time for everything. i believe if marty doesn't take the chargers to the superbowl this season he is out. how true these rumors are i have no idea. it is a wait and watch thing.

OP
OP
Cbus cardsfan

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
To me, Marty and Green are similar. Marty was about to get axed a couple years ago in SD and then they had that breakout season out of nowhere with Brees. If the Cards are going to hire a new coach, i'd like it to be a new guy instead of a retread.Rivera or Weis would be good and i'm sure there are some other coordinators out there that are quite capable. But, i think Green will survive they year and be back next year unless the Cards finish 4-12 or worse. Staring Leinart and having him show promise may have bought DG next year.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To me, Marty and Green are similar. Marty was about to get axed a couple years ago in SD and then they had that breakout season out of nowhere with Brees. If the Cards are going to hire a new coach, i'd like it to be a new guy instead of a retread.Rivera or Weis would be good and i'm sure there are some other coordinators out there that are quite capable. But, i think Green will survive they year and be back next year unless the Cards finish 4-12 or worse. Staring Leinart and having him show promise may have bought DG next year.

i am pretty sure schottenheimer is going to be back as well. i love weis. another cordinator i would like to see become the cardinals next coach is jimmy johnson defensive cordinator of the eagles. i believe he is due a head coaching position. here is a wishful thinking coach, the offensive cordinator of the colts. i think we would be on the right track if the cardinals could get him. you never know. there are going to be a lot coaching names thrown in the mix like mike martz, mike sherman, and pete carrol. i also believe that green is going to be back for one more year. rember green has a fifth year option if the cardinals choose to excercise it.

Trey

Registered
Reaction score
Birth to 32, Phoenix. Now, enemy territory.
While talking about all the possible replacements if Green gets canned, the one guy whose name i haven't seen anybody talk about is Charlie Weis. Maybe i overlooked it and he has been talked about but getting him in here to bring along Leinart would have to be a good thing. He would cost alot of money but you would also wouldn't have to hire an OC because he would fill that role.

I am almost 100% certain that ND signed Weis to a 10 year extension to prevent him from leaving.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Marty = play off wins. At least it did when he coached the Chiefs. We haven't won a playoff game since he left.

Reaction score
Weis had opportunities to become an NFL head coach a couple of seasons ago and chose Notre Dame instead. It's like his dream job. What makes you think that he would want to leave?

Tom Moore the OC at Indianapolis and Jim Johnson the DC at Philadelphia are both older guys that have been in the NFL for ages. Both are great at what they do, and both are likely better suited at being co-ordinators than head coaches.

It is worth noting that Jim Johnson was employed as a coach by the Cardinals from 1986 to 1993.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I've liked Marty for awhile now. To coach the Cards that is. To be honest I never wanted Green here but that is besides the point.

I think Marty Ball would be a success here....for a short while at least. We have a lot of talent...but they play undisciplined. Also.....I think he'd get the running game figured out. Not so sure how he is long term though.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While talking about all the possible replacements if Green gets canned, the one guy whose name i haven't seen anybody talk about is Charlie Weis. Maybe i overlooked it and he has been talked about but getting him in here to bring along Leinart would have to be a good thing. He would cost alot of money but you would also wouldn't have to hire an OC because he would fill that role. I know he signed a long term contract at ND but there are always outs in those contracts and i'm sure he has one to move on to the NFL. Throw in the fact that ND gets pounded whenever they play an elite team like Michigan or Ohio State and he may opt out. I know he was hot on some you guys list when Green was hired and he has proven to do quite a bit with the limited talent at ND. I'm not ripping on ND, well maybe a little, but their admissions requirements make it harder for them to compete against the big boys. That may also factor into Weis eventually wanting to go. Just a thought.

Funny you should mention it. Weis was on the Opening Drive with Bob Papa and Jerry Rice on Sirius this morning. Jerry asked him if he would return to the NFL and he said there was absolutely no way he would ever, ever consider returning to the NFL. His son is now 10 and Weis said he plans on staying in South Bend at least until his boy enters ND.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Why would he ever be interested in leaving a great job like Head Coach at Notre Dame for the one with Cardinals?

for a coaching legacy. whatever coach takes the cardinals to the superbowl would be inshrine as one of the best coaches in nfl history. that is why green became the head coach for the cardinals. if weis cares about the nfl is yet to be seeen. marty ball would do well here. even if it was for 4-5 years. i don't know how much longer schottenheimer plans on coaching, but i hope his final stop is the cardinals. when schottenheimer took over the chargers, they were one of the worst teams in the league. all he has done was take the chargers to the playoffs and bringing fans back into the stadium. which is huge for the owner side of things. you just have to ask yourself, would you be disappointed if schottenhiemer became the cardinals head coach. i would be estactic. then again i like schottenheimer since the kosar days. then i really got behind him when he had the deberg. schottenheimer is a winner and would be great for the cardinals. whether that happens or not is a different story.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
whatever coach takes the cardinals to the superbowl would be inshrine as one of the best coaches in nfl history. that is why green became the head coach for the cardinals.

Vinny:

I think Dennis Green's record in Arizona will make attracting a top-tier replacement for him extremely difficult. I mean, here's a guy who'd had pretty significant success everywhere else he coached, and came in the door with one of the highest winning percentages among active coaches.

And the Cardinals have lost two-thirds of the games he's coached. Right or wrong, HC candidates are gonna look at that and wonder why Green couldn't get it done. It's one thing for a rookie head coach to struggle in his first try at the top job. It's another when a proven HC comes in promising playoffs and producing top-10 draft choices.

If Green leaves here after 3-4 years, having delivered no better than a six-win season, the Cardinals will never land a marquee name as the next man up. We'll be looking at giving some NFL coordinator or college coach his first shot at an NFL head-coaching gig. Again.

WC

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Vinny:

I think Dennis Green's record in Arizona will make attracting a top-tier replacement for him extremely difficult. I mean, here's a guy who'd had pretty significant success everywhere else he coached, and came in the door with one of the highest winning percentages among active coaches.

And the Cardinals have lost two-thirds of the games he's coached. Right or wrong, HC candidates are gonna look at that and wonder why Green couldn't get it done. It's one thing for a rookie head coach to struggle in his first try at the top job. It's another when a proven HC comes in promising playoffs and producing top-10 draft choices.

If Green leaves here after 3-4 years, having delivered no better than a six-win season, the Cardinals will never land a marquee name as the next man up. We'll be looking at giving some NFL coordinator or college coach his first shot at an NFL head-coaching gig. Again.

WC

you make a good point. the other coaches can look at what went wrong, but imo you are not going to find a reason. they are drafting well and they have signed some big free agents. if they look, they are going to see that the players are not playing consitantly. if the players don't play, then it is hard for the coach to look good. a marquee coach would come here. they will look at leinart, boldin, fitzgerald, and james as weapons on offense. then they will look at dockett, dansby, rolle, and wilson on defense. any coach would love to come coach the cardinals. the pieces are in tack. they just have to get somebody to put it all together. i belive a win againist the bears would be the piece to bring it all together.

Last edited:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vinny:

WC

Unless of course that "proven HC with one of the highest winning percentages" comes in and starts to make people second guess how he actually got all those wins with what appears to be inferior gameday coaching ability, uneven draft results and a guy who is burning through assiistant coaches faster than Sherman burned through Atlanta.

There is nothing wrong with getting a rookie HC who has been a good coordinator...as long as you pick the right one. I also would dispute the notion of never getting a marquee name. I mean, how many people really thought The Genius would ever sign with Arizona? There is enopugh talent on the cupboard here that this team will be attractive to HC candidates. With the porper attetion being lavished on the holes on this team, it is a playoff caliber team and that will be enough to land a decent HC after Denny leaves.

Oh but I forget, it is all Warners fault, right clif? :)

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We'll be looking at giving some NFL coordinator...
That's fine by me. For all of the wanting of retreads and college coaches what newer NFL coaches are leading teams with good records? Lovie Smith, Brad Childress, Sean Payton, Jim Mora, John Fox, Scott Linehan & Marvin Lewis.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
There is enopugh talent on the cupboard here that this team will be attractive to HC candidates.

Damn straight. The only thing that a new coach would have to fix is the OLine. The rest of the offense is pretty f'ing good. Could our defense be better? Sure. Could we win with this defense if the offense was lighting up the scoreboard? Damn straight.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
a marquee coach would come here. they will look at leinart, boldin, fitzgerald, and james as weapons on offense. then they will look at dockett, dansby, rolle, and wilson on defense. any coach would love to come coach the cardinals.

Vinny:

The offensive players you've named, other than Matt Leinart, would start on Sunday for most teams in the league. And even the teams with established starters at quarterback (e.g., Indianapolis, New England, Philadelphia) would love to have Leinart as their QBOF. There's nothing wrong with the defenders you've listed, either.

But any premier head coaching candidates are going to wonder why a proven HC like Dennis Green couldn't win with those players. If they conclude that Cardinals ownership wouldn't let Green hire high-priced assistants, or spend enough in free agency to fill the remaining gaps in personnel, or failed to support him in other significant ways, the top prospects will keep walking.

And ownership will be left to pitch the possibility of turning the Cardinals into winners to whoever's left on the list. Who'll probably come cheap, which won't bother the Bidwills. ;)

WC

Last edited:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
We don't need a new head coach. The only weakness in the coaching staff is the OC. There is no reason to bring in a new head coach and a new coaching staff. Our major weakness is the OL. Lets focus on improving the OL and the other "problems" will go away.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
for a coaching legacy. whatever coach takes the cardinals to the superbowl would be inshrine as one of the best coaches in nfl history. that is why green became the head coach for the cardinals. if weis cares about the nfl is yet to be seeen. marty ball would do well here. even if it was for 4-5 years. i don't know how much longer schottenheimer plans on coaching, but i hope his final stop is the cardinals. when schottenheimer took over the chargers, they were one of the worst teams in the league. all he has done was take the chargers to the playoffs and bringing fans back into the stadium. which is huge for the owner side of things. you just have to ask yourself, would you be disappointed if schottenhiemer became the cardinals head coach. i would be estactic. then again i like schottenheimer since the kosar days. then i really got behind him when he had the deberg. schottenheimer is a winner and would be great for the cardinals. whether that happens or not is a different story.

Well that is a possibility but why would he want to leave a great job at ND for that kind of frustration and risk? Remember coaches talk to each other and the word gets out on NFL places to go and not to go. Maybe an experienced unemployed former NFL head coach, NFL coordinator eager for the next step, or a college coach that isn't at a premier program perhaps but not Weis leaving ND for the Cards. Remotely possible but not likely.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We don't need a new head coach. The only weakness in the coaching staff is the OC. There is no reason to bring in a new head coach and a new coaching staff. Our major weakness is the OL. Lets focus on improving the OL and the other "problems" will go away.

The problem may be bigger than just the OC and the OL.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05