a thought about Marion

jibikao

Reaction score
Guys, do you think we can even trade Marion? He has max contract and he is not a leader-type of player. Why would Wolves want Marion in the first place? If anything, Wolves want Amare but I think he is not tradeable right now. Nobody would trade for Amare until he's shown he has recovered fully.

This is a sad year. Just when we thought we could compete without Amare, Kurt Thomas went down. We got KT EXACTLY for the playoff. This is just so unfortunate. If KT is playing, Marion won't even have to guard Odom in the first place.

jibikao

Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Marion beats him in every aspect of the game over a long period of time. Now Odom plays like an all-star for 2 games and Marion lays an egg, and Odom is suddenly better because he's "more versatile"? Odom has yet to prove he's anything more than a talented head case who most likely will never live up to his expectations (assuming he even can).

I hope Marion can prove us wrong in the next few games, then we'll see how valuable Marion is. At this rate, Kurt Thomas looks like the MVP on this team. :confused: Odom has played extremely well for the past 2 games. He caused us trouble inside and outside. I think it's safe to say Odom is better right now whether you want to admit or not. The Odom we've seen so far is the Odom Laker was hoping for.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Sorry, Mike, totally and utterly disagree with you. Anyone who mentions Lamar Odom along with the likes of Dirk, Nash, Lebron and Kobe has a screw loose. ;)

There are a multitude of players that can create their own shot. I like Chauncey Billups, but Marion is a better player. Richard Jefferson, Rip Hamilton, Corey Maggette, Jason Richardson--all guys that create their own shot. Regardless of if I want them more than Marion, Marion still is a better player.

You're basing your assessment of Odom on what he "might be able to do", rather than what he HAS done. He's a good player, but he'll never be as good as Shawn Marion.

"Talent" is a different argument than "what they are doing now".

Joe just said Odom has more talent, which is true. But no, he doesn't use it to his full potential.

That was the point of the argument. Of COURSE he's not in the same class as those guys, I was just pointing out good players who can create their own shot.

Odom could be a triple-double guy on most nights if he wanted to...

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Talent and versatility are not synonyms and not even directly related. Odom is more versatile because he can do many things well, but Shawn has more talent, or innate ability, because he has more physical and mental gifts. This shows on the court... at least during the regular season :\

JJC Jr

Reaction score
jibikao said:
Guys, do you think we can even trade Marion? He has max contract and he is not a leader-type of player. Why would Wolves want Marion in the first place? If anything, Wolves want Amare but I think he is not tradeable right now. Nobody would trade for Amare until he's shown he has recovered fully.

First off this no way, NO WAY, the Suns would ever consider trading Amare. He's a future MVP & for the bulk, maybe even the entirety of his career he will be in Phoenix.

Secondly, it's not such a bad deal for Minnesota. They get a versatile weapon in Marion who should be able to contribute in any system plus a couple high draft picks. Garnett has been the face of their team for years, but both sides know it's time to move on: the Wolves get a perfect chance to rebuild, KG gets his best shot at a ring.
Everyone's happy! :cheers:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Marion beats him in every aspect of the game over a long period of time. Now Odom plays like an all-star for 2 games and Marion lays an egg, and Odom is suddenly better because he's "more versatile"? Odom has yet to prove he's anything more than a talented head case who most likely will never live up to his expectations (assuming he even can).

Odom has played just like this since the All Star break. Countless articles have been written about him coming out of his shell, getting the offense and living up to expectations.

I think the triangle light has switched on...what's funny is that just before he started playing great, he mentioned that he was uncomfortable in the offense. Something changed in a couple of weeks, and he's been on a tear like this ever since.

These two games from LO aren't shocking, not even surprising. This is the way he's been playing for a couple of months now.

I'd take LO over Marion in a heartbeat...the guy can just do more and is a perfect fit for the triangle offense.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Odom could be a triple-double guy on most nights if he wanted to...

Not to start an arguement (I disagree with you on that, but that's beside the point), but how do you come to that conclusion? He's been in the league for 7 years and has only had 10 triple doubles. He's only recently improved his rebounding, but his assists are still down around 5 per game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Odom has played just like this since the All Star break. Countless articles have been written about him coming out of his shell, getting the offense and living up to expectations.

I think the triangle light has switched on...what's funny is that just before he started playing great, he mentioned that he was uncomfortable in the offense. Something changed in a couple of weeks, and he's been on a tear like this ever since.

These two games from LO aren't shocking, not even surprising. This is the way he's been playing for a couple of months now.

I'd take LO over Marion in a heartbeat...the guy can just do more and is a perfect fit for the triangle offense.

Dude, you're a Laker fan, this whole post is biased. The same can be said for my side of the opinion, but come on now. 2 months of Odom vs. 5 years of Marion... Common sense dictates that Marion is a much safer bet.

You'll take Lamar Odom over Marion... wow, what a shock!

jibikao

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

No offense. I am shocked by Lamar's performance for the past 2 games. He was nowhere near this good during regular season. Don't spin it.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Odom over Marion, not by a long shot, but so far Odom has been the better player in this series.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
elindholm said:
I wouldn't take Odom over Marion, not by a long shot, but so far Odom has been the better player in this series.

I can definitely agree with that sentiment, 100%.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
Not to start an arguement (I disagree with you on that, but that's beside the point), but how do you come to that conclusion? He's been in the league for 7 years and has only had 10 triple doubles. He's only recently improved his rebounding, but his assists are still down around 5 per game.

Come on Chap...I didn't mean he would get a TD every night, I just said...he could be that typep of guy...like Diaw is on some nights.

And the fact that he only has 10 shows what a lackluster player he's been...drug problems, etc...he hasn't put in the effort like he is right now.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And you'd take Marion over Odom...shocking!!

I prefer a guy who can score at will from both outside and inside, post up, defend with length, create his own shot, rebound and dissect defenses with precise passing, playing SF, PG, PF, C, whatever needed at a high level and is unselfish to the core (almost to a fault). ESPECIALLY in the triangle. Marion would be a disaster in the triangle.

And FWIW, you have Suns fans complaining about Marion disappearing in the playoffs...I don't know the validity of that, but that's not something that LO is knocked for..yes, LO has limited playoff experience, but he played very well in those games.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jibikao said:
No offense. I am shocked by Lamar's performance for the past 2 games. He was nowhere near this good during regular season. Don't spin it.

That's because you don't watch Laker games. No spin...since the AS break he's been playing at exactly this level.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Man, I love how much drama one loss creates on the board. Trade Rumors, Player debates, arguments. "The season is done" "Trade them all"

:rolleyes:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
That's because you don't watch Laker games. No spin...since the AS break he's been playing at exactly this level.

Marion has been playing at an All-Star level for 5 years. Odom can't even begin to claim that. And they were drafted during the same year (Odom at #4, Marion at #9 in 1999).

I'm not debating that Odom is a good player or not. When his head is into it, I think he's a terrific player. Just not as good as Shawn Marion--and history proves that point.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toro said:
He sucks in the playoffs. Smokes to much pot.

Marion smokes out?

If you're talking about Lamar, he plays great in the playoffs. His run in Miami netted him 17 ppg, 8 rpg, 3 assists per game and 1 steal per.

He's getting 21, 10, 4 and 1 this run so far with more focus on getting him going.

I don't know what some people are shocked about. :shrug:

jibikao

Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Marion smokes out?

If you're talking about Lamar, he plays great in the playoffs. His run in Miami netted him 17 ppg, 8 rpg, 3 assists per game and 1 steal per.

He's getting 21, 10, 4 and 1 this run so far with more focus on getting him going.

I don't know what some people are shocked about. :shrug:
'

Easy because Lamar was a no show in regular season against us. What's so hard to understand? It could be because Kobe was dominating the ball too much or Lamar just didn't click.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jibikao said:
'

Easy because Lamar was a no show in regular season against us. What's so hard to understand? It could be because Kobe was dominating the ball too much or Lamar just didn't click.

Wrong. Again.

Game 1: 23-16-8
Game 2: 15-12-4
Game 3: 17-11-5
Game 4: 14-11-7

Now, the gameplan is a bit different with putting him in the post to attack Marion and bigs, but to say he was a no show is ridiculous. You didn't see him working Marion over during the regular season, but that wasn't the gameplan then...we tried to run with you then and it obviously didn't work.

And this is Lamar's first year in the Tri...he's going to be extremely good in the system.

Nobody who watches the Lakers closely would be surprised at Odom's play in this series thus far, especially when Phil basically said that this is how he'd play him in the series.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Would you go as high as Marion, Barbosa, this year's Lakers pick, and next year's Hawks pick? The Wolves won't want Jones, and they'll want help in at least two upcoming drafts.

Yes and no.

Marion
Barbosa
Lakers pick this year
Suns pick next year

Maybe that would get it done? ....Hmm...probably not. I'm most likely overvaluing (sp?) Marion. He'd be a 17/8 player in a normal system.

* waits for Chap to flame away. *

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Garnett is the far superior player to Marion. Maybe not even stats tell the story there, but Garnett is much more skilled, has more desire to win and is a better shooter and with post game. While Garnett cannot single handedly carry a team by himself, his game is tailor made for the playoffs and the Suns style. I really believe that he just needs a PG and some shooters around him.

They should make the move this off season with the uncertanity of Amare.

Could you imagine the following lineup?

Nash
Bell
Diaw
Garnett
Amare (hopefully)

:koolaid:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
* waits for Chap to flame away. *

Why would I do that? If Amare had played and been healthy all season, Shawn wouldn't have averaged as many rebounds, that's just simple arithmetic. I think he would score more than 17ppg, but not that much more.

He's still better than Odom. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05