According to Chris Mortenson

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm with joe. There's no need to hang onto a second round pick unless you're damn sure you'll get a better player than Henry. He's proven he can produce, and produce big, as a starting RB. If I could see the future and see that we could get JJ Arrington at that pick, I might not do it. Other than that, no one knows who will be on the board at that time, maybe nobody we're that high on. If you play the odds, the smarter and safer play is using the pick to get Henry. Really, it's not even close.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
I doubt Arrington lasts until #40 overall

We don't have the #40 pick, we drop to the bottom of teams with the same record in round two. It'll be the #45 pick. I know Arrington won't be there, so, if this report is true, and I'm not sure it's totally accurate, using it on Henry is an easy choice.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
We don't have the #40 pick, we drop to the bottom of teams with the same record in round two. It'll be the #45 pick. I know Arrington won't be there, so, if this report is true, and I'm not sure it's totally accurate, using it on Henry is an easy choice.
I think Morency or maybe Sproles might be there. Morency is a bigger breakaway threat than Henry!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okieguy said:
I think Morency or maybe Sproles might be there. Morency is a bigger breakaway threat than Henry!

Morency probably will be there and Sproles damn sure will be. Sproles will be lucky to be drafted on the first day, period, much less the second round. I've seen both of those guys play several times, for me, I wouldn't pass on Henry for them.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okieguy said:
Morency is just as old as Henry & Henry is a proven commodity. I'd rather have Henry.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I would use a 2nd on him, although I think we can get him for less. I say he can be had for a 3rd and a 2nd day 2006 5th or 6th rounder depending on stats.

I especially dont mind a 2nd on him this year (which for us is a middle 2nd) becuase of the lack of depth in the draft as a whole becuase of all the juniors that didnt come out. A 2nd round guy this year will not be a Dansby type player like last year.

Would their even be a RB available at pick #45 that would be even close in talent to Henry.

I really do not know much about Travis other than he was the starter until he was beat out this year and he wants to go where he will be a starter. Is this guy a speed guy or a power runner or both. I am all for improving our running game drastically as I think that is where we can make the most dramatic improvement over the short haul. Just think Corey Dillon was available a year ago and look at him today.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
slanidrac16 said:
that the Bills have granted Travis Henry permission to seek a trade. It was an AP article about 1 paragraph long. It also said his agent claims several teams have inquired about him.
I don't think he is as fast as a guy like Bennett and I'm not sure he would be a good compliment for Shipp. However, he is the type of runner where you could strap the team on is back. He is capable of carrying the ball 300 times and has managed to break of some long runs. Another plus is he is use to crap weather, so if we did have to travel late in the season to the east coast we could turn to the run game.
You might find this description of him amusing. This is a quote from profootball weekly draftprreview(when Buchsbaum was still alive).

"top competitor and a real tough warrior. Very determined runner with a never say die attitude. Short ,squat,powerful, low to the ground runnerwith big and powerful legs and thighs,very strong hipsand a low center of graity.Is about as tough to tackle as a fire hydrant or a bowling ball rolling downhill with knives sticking out of it! YIKES. He has exceptional balance and gains a lot of yards after contact."

He is definitely a franchise type back. A RB that would demand opposing defenses to account for him. He has also improved as a pass receiver.

If you are looking for a running back, why not give up a #2 for him?

Sounds like you are describing Stump Mitchell.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
If you trade for Henry you better resign him and feature him. HE doesn't want to share carries and he's a free agent after this year.

You have that right on.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
PACardsFan said:
The Bills Board is reporting that Bledsoe might be part of the deal sending Henry to the Cardinals. No real specifics. They also seem to think that the Cardinals would like to dump LD & include him in this deal.

I am not at all for letting Davis leave. I think he will eventually be an all pro. We are hurting on the line even now so we need to keep Davis.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
2nd rounder too high, he is oft injured...as a side note, the more I see Bennett the less I am impressed with him so no there as well, I say go full board after Alexander and draft JJ Arrington in 2nd round, nice backfield with Alexander, Shipp, and Arrington...

I just do not see the Cards paying Alexander what he will want. Probably $10 mil plus a big bonus.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Trading for a desirable back (Henry) would be a great move. Why get into a bidding war for Alexander or anyone else? As CardinalChris put it, trade for him then resign him.

How about agreeing to a signing before trading for him.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
john h said:
I really do not know much about Travis other than he was the starter until he was beat out this year and he wants to go where he will be a starter. Is this guy a speed guy or a power runner or both. I am all for improving our running game drastically as I think that is where we can make the most dramatic improvement over the short haul. Just think Corey Dillon was available a year ago and look at him today.

He is more of a power guy who likes to lower his shoulder but he does have the speed to take it or bounce it to the outside. He is not a dancer and will hit the hole fast and hard. Once he gets going he is hard to bring down, no arms tackles will do.

Here is what SI said about him and they put it pretty well.

"Henry is compact and muscular with short arms and legs. He is a short strider who is quick to the hole, is very aggressive and is a hard inside runner. Henry is a strong second effort runner and has decent agility, but is more powerful than elusive and more quick than fast."

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
artp said:
Can Henry or any RB produce with our OL? Especially if we trade Big?

If Emmitt could get 3.5 yards a carry then Henry could have got over 4.

Why would we trade Davis? It is just something a buffalo bills message board made up it isnt even a rumor they heard from somewhere just them wishfull thinking.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I am thrilled about this. I was praying we would go after him.

Anybody who is worried about him not resigning. Henry and his agent have stated that they would like to sign a new deal with the team he is traded to.

I don't think the BIG rumor is true. Just hopefull thinking by Bills fans.

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think Henry would fit in very well with Green's offensive system.

:thumbup:

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
With Henry coming off a broken leg, Bennett on the block, all the backs in FA and the draft this year - I'll be surprised if Buffalo gets a 2 round pick for him.

And the closer to the draft we get, the more his value drops.

HookemCards

Have at you!!!!!
Reaction score
I don't think I'd do this deal, and certainly not for a 2nd. While Henry is certainly an upgrade to our current RB stable, he's not a dominant back. There is a reason McGahee took his job, and its not just because McGahee is a stud. Henry's yards per carry has declined over the last three years, and he does seem to have a fumbling issue. I'd consider the trade for a 3rd, and definately do it for a 4th, but a 2nd is just too high to me. I'd much rather make a go at Alexander or Jordan, or draft one in the first or second.

Schaub4MVP

Reaction score
i wouldn't waste a 2nd on travis henry, especially when there's so many running backs "better" than him in the draft this year, you have benson, caddilac, ronnie brown, jj arington, ciatrick fason, darren sproles im sure im forgetting some of them, but i like these guys alot better than henry, and you can get alot of them probably in the 2nd round and who will end up probably better than henry. i mean he was beat out by a guy whose leg was broken in half.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Schaub4MVP said:
i wouldn't waste a 2nd on travis henry, especially when there's so many running backs "better" than him in the draft this year, you have benson, caddilac, ronnie brown, jj arington, ciatrick fason, darren sproles im sure im forgetting some of them, but i like these guys alot better than henry, and you can get alot of them probably in the 2nd round and who will end up probably better than henry. i mean he was beat out by a guy whose leg was broken in half.

I would tend to agree...TH would be a good pickup for a 3...a 2 might be a bit too much. If the 2 was made conditional on TH having a 1200 yd season then I would do that

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Schaub4MVP said:
darren sproles im sure im forgetting some of them, but i like these guys alot better than henry,

I am even one of the biggest Sproles supporters but this is just to funny. :biglaugh:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Schaub4MVP said:
benson(gone in the first), caddilac(gone in the first), ronnie brown(gone in the first), jj arington(gone in the first), ciatrick fason(gone in the early second), darren sproles(shouldnt be drafted till the second day) im sure im forgetting some of them, but i like these guys alot better than henry, and you can get alot of them probably in the 2nd round

People are acting like we have the 1st pick in the 2nd round just like last year. This year we are far from it.

i mean he was beat out by a guy whose leg was broken in half.

Irrelevent. He is 100% now. You are acting like he was beaten out by a gimp or something, which is far from the truth.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
Henry has had a ton of fumbling problems also.

Easily coached and he was fixing it. In fact it probably is fixed Although I would like to see a bigger sample of touches then he got in 2004 before I make that a valid statement.

2002 - 11 Fumbles, 8 lost, Fumbled the ball every 33.45 touches
2003 - 7 fumbles, 3 lost, Fumbled the ball every 51.43 touches
2004 - 0 Fumbles, 0 Fumbles lost, Touched the ball 104 times

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05