07: "If 6 Was 9"
08: "You Got Me Floatin'"
09: "Castles Made of Sand"
10: "She's So Fine"
11: "One Rainy Wish"
12: "Little Miss Lover"
13: "Bold as Love"

You must be registered for see images attach

My intentions while I "pinched-hit" this week for "Album A Day" was to cover performers/bands who impacted their respected decade/"generation" to the highest degree possible and Jimi Hendrix (and his Experience) definitely did that and then some (albeit for obviously a brief period of time)....

We all know Hendrix revolutionalized the art of playing guitar and propelled it to heights that weren't achieved until then and in most cases hasnt been rivaled since.

It was a complex choice between "Are You Experienced?" and "Electric Ladyland" since they're both his more "popular" albums, but when one realizes the songs on "Axis: Bold as Love"... why not specifically select this one?

Several "stand-outs" on "Axis: Bold as Love", especially my personal favorites "Castles Made of Sand", "Wait Until Tomorrow", "You Got Me Floatin'", and "Spanish Castle Magic". Although, none can match the ever so "awe-aspiring" and "emotionally-tinged" melody of "Little Wing"..Probably the most inspired ballad that Hendrix sung and performed... Just really impacts me each and every time I listen to that one particular track...To me it ranks w/"The Wind Cries Mary" at Hendrix at his finest. The only "weak-point" of the album was
Noel Redding's "She's So Fine", however, it was better than most of his obligatory efforts that he would force the listeners to endure in each of the albums they performed while he was still the bassist for the Experience.

We all know Hendrix's life end too prematurely and always left to ponder what type of direction that he would have taken. Would he have molded guitar playing any further while he continue to invent more innovative sounds? What type of music would he be performing if he were alive today? Of course those questions will forever be always left un-answered, however, his soul and music will never cease, especially during his finest moments on "Axis: Bold as Love"....

On deck next week is AZCB34..........

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hendrix rules. The things the guy did with a guitar were so ahead of it's time...the guy was a guitar genius. I have a healthy sppreciation for his rythym section as well...they really rounded out the sound.

If he were alive today, as crazy as it sounds, I think he would be playing smooth jazz guitar. I know...I'm crazy but judging by the seemingly free form feel of his music, I think he would have moved into the smooth jazz realm and really allowed his guitar experimentation to continue.