2: Entangled
3: Squonk
4: Mad Man Moon
5: Robbery, Assault and Battery
6: Ripples
7: A Trick of the Tail
8: Los Endos

Pariah's Review:
Early Genesis was never “safe.” When the band was fronted by Peter Gabriel, they took “progressive rock” to extremes (particularly on stage). Trick of the Tail is Genesis’ first album with Phil Collins taking center stage, and you can still hear some of Gabriel’s influence in songs like “Squonk.”

People familiar with more recent Genesis (from Invisible Touch on) may not even recognize this album as Genesis, but it is more true to the band’s soul than anything they’ve done since 1986 or so. Give it a listen…it’s not for everybody, but I like it. "Squonk," and "Ripples" are very good tracks, and "Robbery, Assault and Battery" is a fun one.

PS—I got away from my “Americana” theme. Sorry—the road to hell is paved with good intentions, right? ;)

Last edited:

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
One of their bests. A masterpiece. Steve Hackett is rock's most under-rated guitarist.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love earlier Genesis, especially "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" and "Foxtrot", and feel that "Trick of the Tail" was definitely among their masterpieces....

It's unfortunate that they have been too commercial since "Duke", but I don't mind that entirely since they generated so many memorable tunes throughout the 80s and early 90s. Just wish they would have broken-up though after Phil left since it's a parity of sorts with anyone else as their front-man (besides of course Gabriel)....

Collins is definitely one of the most underrated drummers of all-time and Rutherford and Banks always complemented Collins perfectly...

Definitely a good selection and for some reason I feel Genesis is a major part of "Americana" since their sound helped pave the way for several other bands from the United States and their songs impacted so many as well...

OP
OP
Pariah

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Just wish they would have broken-up though after Phil left since it's a parity of sorts with anyone else as their front-man (besides of course Gabriel)....
Who's fronting the band now? And, when did Collins leave?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Who's fronting the band now? And, when did Collins leave?
Collins left in '96 and his replacement was Ray Wilson. They only released one album with Wilson on vocals which was "Calling All Stations" ('97)....

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Collins left in '96 and his replacement was Ray Wilson. They only released one album with Wilson on vocals which was "Calling All Stations" ('97)....

Tony Banks (keyboardist) just released a classical album called "seven". Steve Hackett (guitarist) and Peter Gabriel have released albums recently too. Phil Collins now seems to be a Disney employee. Not sure what Mike Rutherford has been up to.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Tony Banks (keyboardist) just released a classical album called "seven". Steve Hackett (guitarist) and Peter Gabriel have released albums recently too. Phil Collins now seems to be a Disney employee. Not sure what Mike Rutherford has been up to.
Thanks for the info....

I remember watching VH1's "Behind The Scenes" episode regarding Genesis and they mentioned how they were in the process of releasing some songs with the original line-up, but I never heard of anything about that since...

I wonder if Rutherford has been working with Mike & The Mechanics again? I loved all their songs as well...

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Thanks for the info....

I remember watching VH1's "Behind The Scenes" episode regarding Genesis and they mentioned how they were in the process of releasing some songs with the original line-up, but I never heard of anything about that since...

I wonder if Rutherford has been working with Mike & The Mechanics again? I loved all their songs as well...

I am the guitarist for a Genesis tribute band so you asked the right guy! A few years ago they re-recorded "Carpet Crawlers" for the hits CD. Also, they worked on overdubs for the live "Lamb Lies Down" tracks for the Archive I box set.