Alex Len has surgery on his OTHER ankle...

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That's funny, I didn't know the Phoenix Suns' training staff chose the draft picks. Had always thought it was the GM.

My bad!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You're welcome to believe the Suns' PR team. None of us can see the future. We'll see who is right.
Agree with ya on that one. Let's both hope that I'm the right one here...at least for the sake of our favorite team :)

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
That's funny, I didn't know the Phoenix Suns' training staff chose the draft picks. Had always thought it was the GM.

My bad!

Well no s***. Of course the GM makes the draft picks, but part of that process is having him evaluated by the medical team and then getting their opinion on whether anything found is of serious concern or not. Clearly in this case the medical team didn't beleive there was serious concern.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is probably why Len slipped as medical reports were kept as first hand knowledge. And I read/heard somewhere that Noel was healthier than Len per some GMs.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, we have no idea when or how this stress fracture happened. The other they say happened part way through the season and he was able to finish the season prior to the surgery. The other could have happened and since it's very small it could have been overlooked by his college medical staff. I believe I read they misdiagnosed the other fracture when it happened. The suns may have known about this prior to the draft, but for PR reasons wanted the news released after the draft as a side note. Who knows?

That said, a big guy with this issue is not a good thing. We'll just have to wait and see.

Also, yes the GM makes the pick (traditionally). But, he does it with the input from the medical staff, scouts, ect. It's rather silly to believe they don't.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only problem with stress fractures going forward would be if there is some sort of osteoporosis or if there are old breaks which healed improperly, which I am sure the med staff cleared. Otherwise, this is not that surprising and easily treatable.

1. Diet. Players like Len sometimes become susceptible to stress fractures because of poor diet. Bill Walton was a vegetarian and it probably contributed to his issues, although it does not have to. Pro athletes who are vegetarian have to work very hard to get the proper nutrients to avoid injuries. Len is from a poor, small-town eastern European background and his eating habits were likely not good. Combine that with a fast growing body and high stress activity. This is an easy issue to address as long as Len follows the diet the training staff gives him.

2. Muscle development. Proper muscle development and balance is key to avoiding stress on bones and joints. Our training staff is famous for helping with this.

3. Strangely enough, good quality, proper fitting shoes will also make a big difference.

I am not worried about this.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well no s***. Of course the GM makes the draft picks, but part of that process is having him evaluated by the medical team and then getting their opinion on whether anything found is of serious concern or not. Clearly in this case the medical team didn't beleive there was serious concern.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Why is this clear? McD is a new GM. We have no idea what the training staff said, or whether McD followed their advice. For all we know they could have said it was 50/50, or that he was a flat out risk, but McD had watched him for three years and thought he knew better.

The proof is in the pudding, and the proof says that Len just fractured an ankle walking around. Either the staff messed up or McD ignored them.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only problem with stress fractures going forward would be if there is some sort of osteoporosis or if there are old breaks which healed improperly, which I am sure the med staff cleared. Otherwise, this is not that surprising and easily treatable.

1. Diet. Players like Len sometimes become susceptible to stress fractures because of poor diet. Bill Walton was a vegetarian and it probably contributed to his issues, although it does not have to. Pro athletes who are vegetarian have to work very hard to get the proper nutrients to avoid injuries. Len is from a poor, small-town eastern European background and his eating habits were likely not good. Combine that with a fast growing body and high stress activity. This is an easy issue to address as long as Len follows the diet the training staff gives him.

2. Muscle development. Proper muscle development and balance is key to avoiding stress on bones and joints. Our training staff is famous for helping with this.

3. Strangely enough, good quality, proper fitting shoes will also make a big difference.

I am not worried about this.

You sound the most reasonable here. Are you in the medical field?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You sound the most reasonable here. Are you in the medical field?

I have a close friend who is an orthopedic surgeon. Most of this came from her.

On an issue like this, I will go with what she says over all the chicken little "I told you so's" any day.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is this clear? McD is a new GM. We have no idea what the training staff said, or whether McD followed their advice. For all we know they could have said it was 50/50, or that he was a flat out risk, but McD had watched him for three years and thought he knew better.

The proof is in the pudding, and the proof says that Len just fractured an ankle walking around. Either the staff messed up or McD ignored them.

That's quite a leap. We have no idea when it happened and unless you bring to this board an expertise you've yet to reveal, we also have no idea what it means.

I've never been fond of the idea of drafting Len and believe it or not, you are nowhere near the first to suggest his stress fractures are a concern. I mentioned it more than a month before the draft when I first started arguing against this pick and many of the regulars here ranted about the pick when it happened for this same reason. The difference is that we aren't willing to proclaim him history just yet nor are we willing to write off this front office. All we can do is let it play out and hope for the best. There will be plenty of time for recriminations if/when Len goes the Oden route.

Steve

Errntknght

Reaction score
All they can really do is operate, fill him with calcium, give him a balanced weight training regimen, and limit his minutes for at least this season.

Hopefully they are little beyond just throwing calcium at bone problems as it doesn't work well. Calcium/magnesium balance is important as is vitamin D and sound nutrition across the board. Sometimes footwear plays a role in stress fractures - you want footwear that spreads the pressures that cause the fractures as widely as possible.

Issues, like say, getting a stress fracture from just walking around in everyday life?

Its entirely possible that the fracture started at the same time the more visible one did and was exacerbated by over using that leg to reduce the stress on the injured ankle.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

On an issue like this, I will go with what she says over all the chicken little "I told you so's" any day.

Not me, if you can't trust Chicken Little then you have no business hanging out in a sports forum. We pack those CL's in here pretty tight.:)

Steve

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hopefully they are little beyond just throwing calcium at bone problems as it doesn't work well. Calcium/magnesium balance is important as is vitamin D and sound nutrition across the board. Sometimes footwear plays a role in stress fractures - you want footwear that spreads the pressures that cause the fractures as widely as possible.

Its entirely possible that the fracture started at the same time the more visible one did and was exacerbated by over using that leg to reduce the stress on the injured ankle.

Again, from the surgeon, players that continue to play with an undiagnosed stress fracture can end up with fractures in the other leg, simply because they tend to compensate, adding stress to the healthy leg.

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The chicken littles have proven to be more correct in their predictions so far then you have. Maybe you should wait until Len stops getting continuous stress fractures before you look down on the people who said he was going to get them.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The chicken littles have proven to be more correct in their predictions so far then you have. Maybe you should wait until Len stops getting continuous stress fractures before you look down on the people who said he was going to get them.

and with that I will be using Eric's recent instructions for putting somebody on the ignore list. Congratulations. I think this is only the 2nd time in like 13 years I've used it.

I wanted McLemore. I would have preferred they took him and looked for a center by either trading up into the mid-first-round or using their #30 to take the best available. They did it the other way around. They just the center they wanted at #5 and got the shooting guard #30.

I totally understand the skepticism with this team, but the one thing they've been fantastic at over the last several years is keeping people healthy. Therefore when they say we should draft Noel and give their stamp of approval on Alex Len I trust that more than anything else, and certainly more than a bunch of pessimists on a message board.

I have all sorts of concerns about taking Alex Len over McLemore and others. His health just isn't one of them.

Joe

Dalbrin

Rookie
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1) Have someone point out their predictions about stress fractures are coming true.

2) Put said someone on ignore.

3) ?????

4) PROFIT

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
For all those people that are hell bent on tanking...

3 or 4 first rounders a year become good players, the rest have chronic foot problems or.....

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all those people that are hell bent on tanking...

3 or 4 first rounders a year become good players, the rest have chronic foot problems or.....

Which, to me, just means that if you are going to rebuild through the draft (including tanking) that half measures are ill-served. Trade every asset for draft picks and increase the likelihood that you land one of those 3 or 4 players.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to update this with the ? faces.

You must be registered for see images attach

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Which, to me, just means that if you are going to rebuild through the draft (including tanking) that half measures are ill-served. Trade every asset for draft picks and increase the likelihood that you land one of those 3 or 4 players.

Steve

Having more picks certainly does increase the odds of selecting a decent player.

Remember when the Heat tanked hard all year to get Rose and ended up with Beasley?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having more picks certainly does increase the odds of selecting a decent player.

Remember when the Heat tanked hard all year to get Rose and ended up with Beasley?

Okay, so there you have it. Proof you should never draft anybody because sometimes they suck. We should try selling off/giving away all our draft picks and see if that approach works better.

Having more first round picks increases the likelihood you'll get a quality player. But there are few guarantees in life.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Someone needs to update this with the ? faces.

You must be registered for see images attach
Did you make that? Its good. I love it.

Should replace Telfair, Dudley and O'Neal's pics with Brown, Marshall and someone else that will really help with the tanking. :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake