Alex Len has surgery on his OTHER ankle...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you make that? Its good. I love it.

Should replace Telfair, Dudley and O'Neal's pics with Brown, Marshall and someone else that will really help with the tanking. :D

I did not. I'm not a full-fledged member of the tank bandwagon.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
1) Have someone point out their predictions about stress fractures are coming true.

2) Put said someone on ignore.

3) ?????

4) PROFIT

You are totally overblowing everything you post. It's quite amazing how arrogant you are--are you an orthopedic surgeon? At least that will give you more credibility than simply attacking other posters, especially those that are respected as much as JC is.

Always find it funny over the years how arrogant new posters are to the board. At least the rest of us have earned it. LOL

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are totally overblowing everything you post. It's quite amazing how arrogant you are--are you an orthopedic surgeon? At least that will give you more credibility than simply attacking other posters, especially those that are respected as much as JC is.

Always find it funny over the years how arrogant new posters are to the board. At least the rest of us have earned it. LOL

I don't get it...JC calls a bunch of people "chicken littles", someone defends themselves from that criticism (which correct me if I'm wrong isn't a positive statement about people) and THAT person is the one attacking? LOL indeed.

and JC has his orthopod, but I'll listen to my best friend who's an orthopod at the Mayo Clinic and my father's who's been an orthopod for longer then most of us have been alive when it comes to Len. Unfortunately, that news ain't very good.

then again, most everyone told me I was crazy when I said those same two doctors said Ryan Williams wouldn't be close to being 100% after he tore his patellar tendon in pre-season two years ago for the Cardinals... and anyone who watched him, or even listened to him say he wasn't close to 100% last year before he went on IR knows that was the case.

seriously...calling people chicken littles, when so far their fears were only bolstered by news of more surgery that we weren't aware was going to be necessary just seems weird. and to say that defending yourself against the criticism of being a chicken little is an attack is even weirder.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to ignore all the back and forth. Bottom line is we have damaged goods as a draft pick. I would be more interested in seeing a list of big men who had similar problems and seeing an analysis of how there careers went. I am too lazy to do it right now.

I was already worried about this kid but now? Man....I am already looking forward to the next big man drafted or the next big man acquisition (assuming they unload Gortat).

OP
OP
Phrazbit

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hard to say being scared of a guy with ankle surgeries on both feet before playing a game is "chicken little" thinking.

And I especially dont buy that Len was malnourished. The guy was on a full ride to Maryland, athletes on scholarship get plenty of food put in front of them. He has also been playing international ball for several years. The guy is not depraved of food.

Hopefully the staff can correct whatever issues cause these breaks, but early signs are scary, and he would not be the first, or the last, highly touted 7 footer to have bones that are not strong enough support his frame.

Sci Fi

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't get it...JC calls a bunch of people "chicken littles", someone defends themselves from that criticism (which correct me if I'm wrong isn't a positive statement about people) and THAT person is the one attacking? LOL indeed.

and JC has his orthopod, but I'll listen to my best friend who's an orthopod at the Mayo Clinic and my father's who's been an orthopod for longer then most of us have been alive when it comes to Len. Unfortunately, that news ain't very good.

then again, most everyone told me I was crazy when I said those same two doctors said Ryan Williams wouldn't be close to being 100% after he tore his patellar tendon in pre-season two years ago for the Cardinals... and anyone who watched him, or even listened to him say he wasn't close to 100% last year before he went on IR knows that was the case.

seriously...calling people chicken littles, when so far their fears were only bolstered by news of more surgery that we weren't aware was going to be necessary just seems weird. and to say that defending yourself against the criticism of being a chicken little is an attack is even weirder.

So if you have talked to two orthopods about this situation why don't you tell us as detailed information as you can convey rather than add to the back and forth "I told you so"? Why is this not good beyond the speculation? What is the percentages that this may be a pattern that will repeat?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
When a 20-year-old, 7-foot-1 man has surgeries on both ankles within a little more than two months, the sofa and armchair doctors of the Valley throw their ankles off their ottomans in disbelief.

Did the Suns draft damaged goods at No. 5 last month by choosing Alex Len? Is this another big man with chronic health issues barely above the hardwood? Visions of Robin Lopez and Kurt Thomas feet issues come racing back.
There certainly is reason for concern, because Len is a critical element to the Suns’ turnaround. But the ankle issues do not alarm the Suns. They checked out the left ankle before drafting him and were confident that the partial stress fracture would not be a future issue.

After drafting him, it made sense to have the other ankle checked out because of how the body often compensates for injury. Sure enough, there were miniscule signs of the beginning of a stress fracture.

The surgery that Len underwent Friday, by Dr. Gustavo Armendariz in Phoenix, was a similar procedure to what he had in early May, but this was only preventative. It does not add any rehabilitation time to what he was already undergoing, meaning Len should be able to resume some activity during September voluntary workouts and be ready for October training camp.

“Do you let it heal or do you do something proactively?” Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. “They found something at the earliest possible stages. It didn’t require surgery, but that was the safest course of action.”
It would be ideal for Len to have had game and practice time with his new players and coaches at the NBA Summer League, but his presence on the roster still receives acclaim.

“I love what the Suns did this summer,” a Western Conference scout said of drafting Len and trading for Eric Bledsoe. “Anytime you get guys who can play pick-and-roll together for the next 10 years, you did well.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...nkles-did-they-draft-damaged-goods-again.html

Glad to see the Suns finally get props around the league!

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the part of the quote from the Paul Coro article dated 7-15-13 at azcentral that gives me the most hope. I'm banking on the Suns medical expertise in these issues.

There certainly is reason for concern, because Len is a critical element to the Suns’ turnaround. But the ankle issues do not alarm the Suns. They checked out the left ankle before drafting him and were confident that the partial stress fracture would not be a future issue.

After drafting him, it made sense to have the other ankle checked out because of how the body often compensates for injury. Sure enough, there were miniscule signs of the beginning of a stress fracture.

The surgery that Len underwent Friday, by Dr. Gustavo Armendariz in Phoenix, was a similar procedure to what he had in early May, but this was only preventative. It does not add any rehabilitation time to what he was already undergoing, meaning Len should be able to resume some activity during September voluntary workouts and be ready for October training camp.

“Do you let it heal or do you do something proactively?” Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. “They found something at the earliest possible stages. It didn’t require surgery, but that was the safest course of action.”

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...draft-damaged-goods-again.html?nclick_check=1

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If you know someone with that kind of expertise, I would be very interested in their opinion, and would give it significant weight. What details do you have?

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Also I wonder if their expertise is with the average joe, the workout warrior joe, or professional athlete non-joe. Each has a different 'full recovery' since ones recovery, if complete, has to do with them being able to do whatever they need to do. Average Joe just needs to walk around. Workout warrior Joe needs to be able to place even more stress on the injury. Professional athletes have an even higher threshold. So what might be a full recovery for average Joe is nowhere near the same place a full recovery for a professional athlete is.

Also I wonder if they thought about how young the guy is (just turned 20), and is still growing height wise, and has yet to fill out into a man.

Because even if he didn't grow another inch, he has to fill out, which means the stress on his feet might need to carry 20-40 lbs, maybe more if he grows. Some guys also get a bit hefty, so that might be 50-70 lbs by the time he's 35.

Also perhaps gymnastics played a role, since it appears to me that foot injuries are quite common with gymnasts and so it could be an extension of lifelong stress on his feet that is also uncommon with your typical NBA player.

What's telling though is that it wasn't just a freak one off stress fracture, but having stress fractures on both feet indicates to me it might be ingrained in his genetics (i.e. his genetics make him more susceptible).

I agree with the idea that the best place given his troubles is here (or we're right up there), but will it make a difference is as yet undetermined.

There is reason to be concerned. There is reason to think it will become a career long and perhaps threatening issue. But it's too early to say he's done for.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Watching the Suns over the years, I've had multiple stress fractures in my skull.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I apologize for the derogatory "chicken little" comment. I did not intend for it to be offensive, but it clearly was.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I apologize for the derogatory "chicken little" comment. I did not intend for it to be offensive, but it clearly was.

wasn't even that offensive. i just didn't understand chap saying that someone defending themself from the slant was the one attacking someone.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wasn't even that offensive. i just didn't understand chap saying that someone defending themself from the slant was the one attacking someone.

Personally, I'm in agreement with Chap. It wasn't just one comment in one thread, it was many comments in several threads and the poster was arrogant and confrontational from the beginning. It's possible that one of us set him off early and contributed to his "style" (it might even have been me as I remember replying sarcastically to one of his comments) but still, it's always a bit off-putting when someone joins the board in that fashion.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Personally, I'm in agreement with Chap. It wasn't just one comment in one thread, it was many comments in several threads and the poster was arrogant and confrontational from the beginning. It's possible that one of us set him off early and contributed to his "style" (it might even have been me as I remember replying sarcastically to one of his comments) but still, it's always a bit off-putting when someone joins the board in that fashion.

Steve

Exactly. Like I said, the rest of us have earned it. :)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cynical side of me suggests that this is probably nothing more than spin. The rest of me is struggling to ignore the cynical side of me.

Steve

It's alright to fight your cynicism.

My optimistic side is beating the crap out of my pessimistic side. :p

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered having your optimistic side tested for PED's?;)

Steve

Nah, it takes the same energy to be negative as it does to be optimistic. I chose to think positive until the worst case scenario proves true. There is plenty of time for the dark side later.

Now where are my meds. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, it takes the same energy to be negative as it does to be optimistic. I chose to think positive until the worst case scenario proves true. There is plenty of time for the dark side later

Now where are my meds. :)

I agree with everything you say here. And life is much better looking at the bright side. We might draw the line at a slightly different point but we share a similar view.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake