Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And your #5 pick is this guy....which is about the nicest thing I can say:

6. Alex Len, C, Maryland

Secret NBA Draft Big Board Rating: 77.5

High Score: 9

Low Score: 4

Ford's comments: While Len has a legitimate shot at going No. 1, our voters overall weren't nearly as high on him. He didn't garner a 10 from anyone and was rated as low as 4 by one voter. That lack of consensus from our panel shows up around the league as well in private conversations. Some GMs love him, while others are very wary. But his overall rating of 77.5 puts him just five points behind Noel. Like the five players above him, he's expected to be one of the top six picks on draft night.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suns had their choice.

2. Is Alex Len a safer pick than Nerlens Noel?

Ford: No. If you are talking about basketball skills, then yes. Len is much more polished offensively. He has a soft touch around the basket and can step out and hit the 15-foot jump shot. He also isn't far behind Noel on the defensive end. Len is a good rebounder and shot-blocker and is very mobile for someone his size. So yes, he's less of a project than Noel.

However, he too has serious injury issues that make me question just how "safe" he is. Len suffered a stress fracture in his ankle and, like Noel, is walking on crutches. While he's projected to be back on the court sooner than Noel, stress fractures are a major red flag for players of his size. And for those of you complaining about Noel's weight, Len weighed just 225 pounds at the draft combine -- and he's taller. With Noel up to 218, that's not a big gap. While everyone is wringing their hands about Noel, they ought to have similar concerns and worries about Len. I think that Len is more "NBA ready" than Noel. But safer? I'm not so sure about that.

Bilas: No. Len is bigger and stronger and is a true 7-footer, but he is not a sure thing in this draft. Len has very good mobility, rebounds well and can block shots. He also has the touch to step away and hit an open jump shot, but the majority of his offense in college came from post-ups or buckets around the rim. He is a good offensive rebounder, but needs to get tougher physically and mentally. Both Len and Noel need to develop, but Noel is the better defender and rebounder.

OP
OP
Chris_Sanders

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And his rankings from Chad Ford

Overall Rank 6
Position Rank 2
Hollinger PER 24.04
Projection No. 5: Phoenix Suns
Positives •Skilled big man
•Good touch around the basket
•Solid perimeter game
•Nice passer out of the post
•Good shot-blocker and rebounder
•Good athlete for a player his size

Negatives •Needs to add strength
•Can be passive on both ends of the floor
•Is he tough?

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Len is ranked first overall on DX top 100 prospects, for what it's worth.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I like the Len back and all but I find it funny that people are saying that McLemore didn't get drafted by the Suns because he wasn't assertive enough and that he was too passive...

Scouting report on Len from NBADRAFT.net: Assertiveness and dominant mindset not yet trademarks, as buttressed by his underwhelming 8.5 FGA and 4 FTA per game ... It should be noted that ankle issues were a common theme during his two years at College Park ...

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am kind of shocked your guys picked Len over Noel.
Noel was red flagged by our excellent medical staff so I'm fine with Len being chosen over him.

If anything, I'm just mad that we passed on McLemore, McCollum and Pope (trade down) for him. I'm warming up though cause I think Len will be fine a player.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm ignoring any instinct to rip the team right now and reminding myself that, in hindsight, no one ever properly projects the draft.

Noel's dropping is a little reminiscent of Stoudemire's drop. I'm trying to not think about that, too.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm ignoring any instinct to rip the team right now and reminding myself that, in hindsight, no one ever properly projects the draft.

Noel's dropping is a little reminiscent of Stoudemire's drop. I'm trying to not think about that, too.
Yea and look how Amare turned out. Ask Knicks fan if drafting Amare top 10 was a good idea or not.

He got lucky that the Suns had Aaron Nelson and even despite having Nelson he had a s**t load of injuries and missed tons of games during his career in PHX.

If Noel turns out to be as bad as Amare with his injury stuff, then damn I'm glad that we passed on him and sucks for Philly.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Write up on Len's time at Maryland

http://www.testudotimes.com/2013/5/31/4363814/alex-len-nba-draft-preview-maryland-center

4. What will fans of the NBA love and/or hate about this prospect?

Len has outstanding athletic ability - it's what really separates him from a lot of the other European big men, and putting that together with a sweet-mid range game gives him some serious offensive potential. On the defensive end, his sizeable wingspan gives him some shot-blocking ability, and all the raw tools are there for an All-Pro player. Combined, those can end up in some serious explosive, game-changing plays on both sides of the floor.

Hate is a strong word, but Len's rawness will certainly get on the nerves of whatever team picks him, especially if he skips the D-League. He certainly lacks awareness on either side of the ball, and while questioning a player's heart is a dangerous games, there were plenty of games where it looked like Len was giving little-to-no effort last season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea and look how Amare turned out. Ask Knicks fan if drafting Amare top 10 was a good idea or not.

He got lucky that the Suns had Aaron Nelson and even despite having Nelson he had a s**t load of injuries and missed tons of games during his career in PHX.

If Noel turns out to be as bad as Amare with his injury stuff, then damn I'm glad that we passed on him and sucks for Philly.

I'm pretty sure that if we could do that draft all over again we'd still grab Amare. We got much better value at that pick than most teams did in that draft.

Steve

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Suns are going to be intimidating next year with a front line that inlcudes Len the gymnast and Gortat the ballerina.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draft day negativity on the selection of Len wore me down. I like to enjoy the draft. Len just turned 20 on June 16th so let's cut him some slack and give McDonnough the benefit of the doubt. There were reasons Noel and McLemore slid.

Last edited:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Some people seem mad that the Suns didn't 'swing for the fence' with whatever pick they wanted. Four weeks ago I had never heard of Alex Len but in hindsight this seems like a solid double down the line for a team that needs building blocks.

This guy has all the physical tools and a desire to learn. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue his development.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people seem mad that the Suns didn't 'swing for the fence' with whatever pick they wanted. Four weeks ago I had never heard of Alex Len but in hindsight this seems like a solid double down the line for a team that needs building blocks.

This guy has all the physical tools and a desire to learn. Hopefully he can stay healthy and continue his development.

You have to have desire to play in order to have desire to learn and considering one of the biggest knocks on Len is that he completely disappears for long stretches and has motor problems, not sure how you can say the above.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
You have to have desire to play in order to have desire to learn and considering one of the biggest knocks on Len is that he completely disappears for long stretches and has motor problems, not sure how you can say the above.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draft day negativity on the selection of Len wore me down. I like to enjoy the draft. Len just turned 20 on June 16th so let's cut him some slack and give McDonnough the benefit of the doubt. There were reasons Noel and McLemore slid.

I understand this and I too like to be as positive as possible. But every time I tried to find a positive way to look at this draft I kept remembering what I saw when I watched Len play and what I've read about him since. Then, I'd try to talk myself off the ledge by reminding myself that the people in this organization do this for a living and they know a lot more about Len than I do. And then, just when I'm starting to mellow, they draft a combo guard that qualifies as a combo guard solely because he cannot play either position.

I'm sorry to add to the negativity but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the silver lining here. By the time the season rolls around I'll have found a way to believe there is hope in our future but right now, It's looking pretty bleak to me.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I understand this and I too like to be as positive as possible. But every time I tried to find a positive way to look at this draft I kept remembering what I saw when I watched Len play and what I've read about him since. Then, I'd try to talk myself off the ledge by reminding myself that the people in this organization do this for a living and they know a lot more about Len than I do. And then, just when I'm starting to mellow, they draft a combo guard that qualifies as a combo guard solely because he cannot play either position.

I'm sorry to add to the negativity but I'm having a heck of a time trying to find the silver lining here. By the time the season rolls around I'll have found a way to believe there is hope in our future but right now, It's looking pretty bleak to me.

Steve

Hinging our hopes on a #29 pick is the pinnacle of lunacy. So if Goodwin pans out, great. If not, is it THAT big of a deal? No matter who we picked at that point, we'd be talking about the same thing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hinging our hopes on a #29 pick is the pinnacle of lunacy. So if Goodwin pans out, great. If not, is it THAT big of a deal? No matter who we picked at that point, we'd be talking about the same thing.

Yes. The Suns swung for the fences at #29 because rarely do picks this late pan out.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

Well from what I have read or watched about him in the last 12 hours I found out he changed sports, came to a new country, learned the language, improved from his first to second year, and has expressed a desire to continue to learn and improve. EDIT:And also he is only 20 years old so this book is at the beginning.

The hardest thing to measure is heart. It can't be determined, I don't think, by watching the games or draft videos.

I guess we will see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well from what I have read or watched about him in the last 12 hours I found out he changed sports, came to a new country, learned the language, improved from his first to second year, and has expressed a desire to continue to learn and improve.

The hardest thing to measure is heart. It can't be determined, I don't think, by watching the games or draft videos.

I guess we will see.

You can't measure heart by watching games? Man, that doesn't make sense to me.

Talk is cheap.

3rdside

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Chaz - my thoughts exactly, the hate for Len is not justified. In a weak draft all we wanted to do is not pick a bust and, assuming he returns from injury with no issues, we've done that. So he probably wont' be an all-star but could easily start for years to come - I'm okay with that.

And I'm calling bust on Noel already - that face / haircut combo, his stupid posse, his stupid name and most importantly his injury. Superficial reasoning in there i realise but..

So for me it was a straight pick between McElmore or Len. McElmore has higher upside potential, sure, but Len was the safer - and hopefully better - pick.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake