Alex Len

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Admittedly, while I like Frye as a person, I have serious doubts about his impact on this team when the games will really matter. I just don't agree with a strategy that uses a 6'11" big man as your key 3 point shooter. It might work now... But when the post season comes and the quality of talent is higher and more consistent, I have serious doubts about Frye.
Even now, if he's not draining 3's, what then is his value to the team? He's not a consistent presence on the boards... He's not a quality distributor of the ball... As I see it, it's either draining 3's or bust...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What? Frye gave the Great Blake fits at both ends during the first half. Frye only had 12 points but his defense on Griffin was awesome.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Geez, come on... Did you not watch the game last night?

Frye played well last night. "Great"? I would stop short of that and IMHO, Blake's issues stemmed more from the inability of Paul and others to get him the ball in proper positions due to great perimeter defense, than it was what Frye was doing.
Not taking anything away from Frye as he did play well against Griffin. However, in a series, I have little doubt Blake would eat Frye for lunch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. This quote in particular basically sums up this team:

"As we say around here, 'Just because you haven't done it before, doesn't mean you can't do it,'" McDonough said.

Awesome, right?

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Geez, come on... Did you not watch the game last night?
C'mon, one game does not make a season. Or a piece to a contender.

Frye has had good matchups vs. Blake. It is the rest of his game-and-games that has limitations.

Especially with a 248 lb. 3-point shooter who negates his bulk when playing 23 feet from the basket and can be guarded by a tall stringbean.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

Frye has had good matchups vs. Blake. It is the rest of his game-and-games that has limitations.

Especially with a 248 lb. 3-point shooter who negates his bulk when playing 23 feet from the basket and can be guarded by a tall stringbean.

This is the definition of a stretch 4.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I saw nothing unusual in Frye's performance last night except that he had difficulty grabbing rebounds. Defensively, this is pretty much how he's looked this season except for a handful of games (a half dozen or so).

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Suns might have won on the strength of Dragic but they disheartened the Clippers with a strong-rotating defense led by Channing Frye’s effort on Blake Griffin, who was coming off scoring games of 35 and 40 points and had 15 on Monday. Frye had success on Griffin dating back to 2011 and he recaptured as if he had never been out of basketball for a year and half. He used his length inside and stayed planted strong on Griffin’s back in the post.

What have I got to lose? Nobody thinks I play defense anyway,” Frye said. “I just try to do the best I can and make him work and take tough shots.”

Griffin missed his first five shots and became clearly irritated by how Frye and teammates would not allow Griffin to get to his preferred spots and fronted him with constant contact.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...litz-los-angeles-clippers-staples-center.html
:biglaugh:
Seriously though, he did play very well last night. If he can play defense like that consistently, then I would love him too.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye took Griffin out of the game early, stayed high and moved his feet well, frustrated him with his length and grit. Then on offense Frye made shots as griffin never closed out on him.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I choose to believe that you're being playful rather than crossing a line here. Last night's performance was pretty typical of Channing Frye this season. He got out-quicked once or twice but generally speaking he is faster than his opponent and he uses that to his advantage. He's done a much better job this season of holding his position down low. He can't stop the strongest players, they still abuse him but most of the time he's been far more of an asset on defense than not. Again, I'm no Eddie Johnson fan but he made that same point about Frye last night. He said something to the effect that his play has been overlooked but that he's been one of our best defenders.

Listen, there is a reason that the vast majority of posters that actually watch every single game have taken you to task for your Frye comments (here and on RealGM too). This season's version of Channing Frye does not, in any way, resemble any other version of the guy that we have seen in the past. I'm not calling him a star nor am I claiming this level of play will continue. All I can tell you is that in probably 23 or 24 games this season, Channing's defense has been pretty solid and occasionally it's been spectacular. You can't just focus on one or two blown plays in a game and assume that's the measure of the player.

Steve

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I choose to believe that you're being playful rather than crossing a line here. Last night's performance was pretty typical of Channing Frye this season. He got out-quicked once or twice but generally speaking he is faster than his opponent and he uses that to his advantage. He's done a much better job this season of holding his position down low. He can't stop the strongest players, they still abuse him but most of the time he's been far more of an asset on defense than not. Again, I'm no Eddie Johnson fan but he made that same point about Frye last night. He said something to the effect that his play has been overlooked but that he's been one of our best defenders.

Listen, there is a reason that the vast majority of posters that actually watch every single game have taken you to task for your Frye comments (here and on RealGM too). This season's version of Channing Frye does not, in any way, resemble any other version of the guy that we have seen in the past. I'm not calling him a star nor am I claiming this level of play will continue. All I can tell you is that in probably 23 or 24 games this season, Channing's defense has been pretty solid and occasionally it's been spectacular. You can't just focus on one or two blown plays in a game and assume that's the measure of the player.

Steve

I am. I saw that emotion when I was going through the smilies on here and just wanted to use it and thought you might understand it as a joke. My fault.

Take it easy Steve. I'm in a very good mood this week. My Chargers have done the unthinkable and made playoffs and the Suns have turned into one of the best and most fun teams in the NBA. And I was impressed with Frye in the over game.

I'm extremely relaxed right now. Have a great New Years man. To everyone else on ASFN as well. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am. I saw that emotion when I was going through the smilies on here and just wanted to use it and thought you might understand it as a joke. My fault.

Take it easy Steve. I'm in a very good mood this week. My Chargers have done the unthinkable and made playoffs and the Suns have turned into one of the best and most fun teams in the NBA. And I was impressed with Frye in the over game.

I'm extremely relaxed right now. Have a great New Years man. To everyone else on ASFN as well. :)

I'm a heavy talker when I watch the Suns play. I carry on a nonstop conversation with the TV, driving my wife batty in the process. I usually judge a player's performance by how many times I swear at him during the game. I think I took Frye apart 4 or 5 times last night which is about his average which is why I said I thought his performance was typical.

His worst moment, for me, was early in the game when he failed to get inside position on Blake which allowed the Clips to run a semi-break. Miles ended up picking up his second foul as a result of Channing's mistake and spent a lot of time on the bench because of it. Frye got back on my good side fairly quickly though so hopefully his ears aren't burning too badly. Happy New Years to you and everyone else too.

Steve

drk3351

Rookie
Reaction score
An article I wrote for scorchingsuns.com on how to handle the Alex Len situation.

scorchingsuns.com/2014/01/02/how-to-handle-the-alex-len-situation/

Errntknght

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, you are recommending exactly what the Suns are doing... and no one has seriously suggested any other course

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Excellent article. If Len can slide into the backup center role, it can help at times, especially defensively.

Plumlee, Frye, Krav, Len. That is a lot of centers on the roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear Len has been working hard and hitting the weights. Having a good work ethic goes a long way towards development in the NBA.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
It's good to hear Len has been working hard and hitting the weights. Having a good work ethic goes a long way towards development in the NBA.

Not JUST lifting weights. Lifting weights with the Suns training staff.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would like to see them actually run a play for Len on offense.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I would like to see them actually run a play for Len on offense.

He has to wait his turn - Goodwins been in 30 games or so and they haven't run a play for him. What they ought to do is hatch some plays they can operate together... show a little iniative!

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He has to wait his turn - Goodwins been in 30 games or so and they haven't run a play for him. What they ought to do is hatch some plays they can operate together... show a little iniative!
I think they have tried to run plays for Goodwin where he cuts to the rim or drives to the rim or does a backdoor cut etc. Its worked sometimes.

I want to see them go to Len in the post and then clear out. See if he has learned any post moves from Plumlee.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ed Davis posterizes Phoenix Suns rookie Alex Len

When you come into the NBA as a rookie, you expect to get an education through experiencing utter embarrassment. That’s how you learn, even when you’re a truly gifted player that could end up being a franchise star. The Phoenix Suns are hoping that Alex Len can be that franchise star, but he’s paying dues against the Memphis Grizzlies as the rookie was posterized by Ed Davis on Friday night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u6_6PelaZJ0

Read the rest at
http://fansided.com/2014/01/10/ed-davis-posterizes-phoenix-suns-rookie-alex-len-video/
First he was on Shaqtin A Fool:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f7/alex-len-makes-his-shaqtin-a-fool-debut-201248.html

And now he's got posterized.

Welcome to NBA, Mr. Len. Now time for some highlight plays :)

Last edited: