Alexander's performance just sick

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
By Matt Simpson, Tribune
November 6, 2005

It wasn't the manliest of reasons to leave a football game, but Shaun Alexander had no other choice. The Seattle Seahawks' Pro Bowl running back had to excuse himself during the second quarter of his team's 33-19 win over the Cardinals Sunday in order to take care of some digestive issues.

"It was just a little tummy ache," Alexander said. "In the first half, every time I got tackled I felt like I was going to throw up or it was going to go the other way.

"(After halftime) I told them that I felt a little bit lighter so watch me break the first run."

He was right. On the Seahawks' first play from scrimmage, Alexander took the handoff and, after a quick cutback, outran the defense on an 88-yard touchdown dash that put his team up by 18 points.

It was the longest run ever surrendered by the Cardinals. Not just the Arizona Cardinals, but any incarnation of the franchise going back to 1920.

"He had great vision and he knew what he was going to do before he went in," Arizona defensive tackle Darnell Dockett said. "He used our speed against us and that was that."

Alexander's run contributed to the biggest rushing day by a Cardinals opponent, team or individual, this season.

After compiling 294 yards and seven touchdowns in his two previous games against the Cardinals, Alexander finished Sunday with 173 yards and two touchdowns on 23 carries.

The Seahawks, owners of the top-ranked offense and third-ranked rushing attack in the NFL, piled up 208 yards on 33 carries and averaged 6.3 yards per rush.

That the Seahawks’ offense is ranked atop the league is a tribute to Alexander and a solid offensive front that has changed little over the past four years. Thanks to the running game, Seattle hasn't missed a beat since losing top receiver Darrell Jackson after the fourth game of the season.

With his effort Sunday, Alexander became the league's top rusher with 948 yards this season.

"We're in a position where we're going to hand him the ball a lot because of our injury situation. Teams know that, so it makes it even more special," Seattle coach Mike Holmgren said. "The run he popped in the second half was a big important play in this game. He's having his best season as far as I'm concerned."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=52553

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
It was the longest run ever surrendered by the Cardinals. Not just the Arizona Cardinals, but any incarnation of the franchise going back to 1920.

Who was the previous record-holder? Steve Bono?

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Who was the previous record-holder? Steve Bono?

I remember that play. The DC had the right play call and Fuddy Buddy came over and made him change it. It was the slowest QB run to the end zone I think I've have ever seen.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I remember that play. The DC had the right play call and Fuddy Buddy came over and made him change it. It was the slowest QB run to the end zone I think I've have ever seen.

Me too. I was in the endzone where it started and I just kept pointing at yelling at the defense...then it was too late. :(

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who was the backup that came in for SA? (#20) He would have had a 100yds his damn self had he kept playing. :mad: :mad:

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Me too. I was in the endzone where it started and I just kept pointing at yelling at the defense...then it was too late. :(

I was there too. I could have ran down the stairs, on to the field, and still made the tackle before he made it to the end zone, and I am an old fat guy. The funny part was he kept looking around in dismay that nobody was there.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:
I was there too. I could have ran down the stairs, on to the field, and still made the tackle before he made it to the end zone, and I am an old fat guy.

So ... Why didn't you? ;)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:
What and sit my beer down...Ha no chance of that happen.

OMG...WisconsinCard is Wendell Bryant!

It all makes sense now!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
WisconsinCard said:
I was there too. I could have ran down the stairs, on to the field, and still made the tackle before he made it to the end zone, and I am an old fat guy. The funny part was he kept looking around in dismay that nobody was there.

i too sat in the endzone in which the play originated. shaking my head in disbelief as seth joyner ran right past bono. but let's give bono credit. he was hauling ass. if i recall correctly he was running so fast he couldn't catch up to his lone blocker . . . an olineman.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Ouchie-Z-Clown said:
i too sat in the endzone in which the play originated. shaking my head in disbelief as seth joyner ran right past bono. but let's give bono credit. he was hauling ass. if i recall correctly he was running so fast he couldn't catch up to his lone blocker . . . an olineman.

Thats because he kept looking back to see who was chasing him. To his dismay it was nobody. I am suprised he didn't trip over the 10 yard line or something.