Amare probably done for season - New surgery on right knee

reader

Veteran
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0405amare0405.html

Stoudemire to have surgery today on right knee Arthroscopic procedure will address cyst; Suns forward probably done for season

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Apr. 5, 2006 12:00 AM Amaré Stoudemire will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee this morning and likely will not attempt another comeback this season, the Suns star's manager said.

Stoudemire decided to have an exploratory scope to address a Baker's cyst behind his right knee and determine what is causing the fluid to collect, said Stoudemire's manager, Rodney Rice. The right knee has troubled Stoudemire for five weeks, just as his surgically repaired left knee was improving for a three-game return.

"As of right now, I'd say he's not going to play again this season," Rice said. "I feel that's the best thing for him."

Suns team physician Thomas Carter, who will perform the surgery, has said there is no right knee defect like what was diagnosed before an October scope on Stoudemire's left knee. That lesion was larger than expected, prompting a microfracture procedure.

Possible causes for a Baker's cyst include general wear, torn meniscus or ligament damage. Rice said the doctors believe Stoudemire has nothing more than "wear and tear" with some debris to remove in the joint.

"Just to be sure and definite about that, Amaré wants to go in and make sure," Rice said.

Draining the cyst was an option, but the fluid could return. He is facing four to six weeks of down time. Stoudemire could participate in USA Basketball's July 19-25 camp in Las Vegas.

"Whether it happens a month or four months from now, nobody can say," Rice said of a possible return. "I'd like to think by the time USA Basketball goes to camp, Amaré will be 100 percent."

mribnik

Reaction score
What's with this "probably done for the season" crap? Why don't they just declare him done for the season and get on with things?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
He was done for the season when he went for the left knee surgery.

I'm now more concerned on the long term durability of his knees.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doesn't this "exploratory surgery" sound exactly like the same surgery he had on his left knee, but when they opened it up they found something big?

I'm also not worried about this season, this season was over the second he stepped on the floor in New Jersey. His effectiveness for the rest of his career is now a concern. I thought a lot of the pessimists sounded ridiculous for most of the year, and while I won't go as far as them, I see their point now.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopefully he just skips the Team USA camp and looks at September.

Healthy, rested, and hopefully confident. Our window doesn't close this year thankfully. In some ways, I don't wonder if it doesn't open more because the Spurs are looking awfully old lately.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
If this is what is best, then all power to him and lots of luck.

However, I am pretty adamant myself about the USA basketball thing. There is NO way in hell he should even consider practicing with the team this summer. I hope JC does the right thing there.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
If this is what is best, then all power to him and lots of luck.

However, I am pretty adamant myself about the USA basketball thing. There is NO way in hell he should even consider practicing with the team this summer. I hope JC does the right thing there.

I agree. Make Amare a coach or something and let someone else like AI play.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Doesn't this "exploratory surgery" sound exactly like the same surgery he had on his left knee, but when they opened it up they found something big?

Yes. I'd say it's maybe 25% that they come up with some reason to perform a microfracture on the right knee too, once they get in there. Let's hope they show some restraint this time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
By the way, baltimorer, I'll beat you to the punch: You were right.

What a nightmare. Talking about USA basketball is downright absurd. At this point, it's obvious that Stoudemire's days on healthy knees are severely numbered. He needs to spend each one of those precious days playing for the Suns, not somebody else.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Great... Baker's cyst is benign and usually disappears by itself but it's often caused by torn cartilage or arthrisis... (knocking on wood)

Last edited:

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
Man this blows. At this point I just hope Amare can come back next year and be about 75% of the player he was in 04-05. His game is going to have to change a little bit, hopefully he can adjust and still be a dominant player.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Big D said:
Man this blows. At this point I just hope Amare can come back next year and be about 75% of the player he was in 04-05. His game is going to have to change a little bit, hopefully he can adjust and still be a dominant player.

I would be happy if he could return and play like Elton Brand or even Zach Randolph (with a jumpshot).

Obviously I would prefer the original Amare back, but an Elton Brand clone would not be bad. :shrug:

Note: My worst nightmare, David Aldridge saying he was right about Jared Jeffries.

How about the Suns package some picks and whatever for Ike Diogu?

fordronken

Reaction score
"So...Brian. Hey, what's up? Remember Amare Stoudemire? Yeah, he's totally healthy! And you can have him now for this one time, very low offer of only Chris Bosh and cap filler! That's just Chris Bosh and cap filler, and Amare Stoudemire can be yours for the taking! But wait! There's more! If you call within the next 30 minutes, we'll give you Dijon Thompson(estimated value $398,000) at absolutely no cost! Wait, what's that? We've gone crazy! Elindholm is willing to throw in Eddie House! He was a sixth man of the year candidate back in January! Oh, wait. He said he'll give him away and you don't even have to give us Chris Bosh. Well, what do you say!

Hello? Brian? Hello?"

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think that Golden State would part with Ike Diogu?

I think with his outside shooting touch, he would be a good fit for the Suns. I have not always been high on Diogu, but this year has showed me he can play in the NBA.

I think he is a player that will only get better and he might be obtainable unlike some other quality young big men like Bosh and Dwight Howard.

jibikao

Reaction score
Stop using the word "Probably"!!!! Cut that BS. Amare is DONE for the season. Stop giving people false hope. I am tired of all these false-hope articles. Just name the article, "Amare is done for the season and he needs time to rest."

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Amare had better not be playing for USA!!! Thats crap it should not even be an option the Suns need to lay down the law, we are paying you millions you will NOT be playing for USA you belong to the SUNS!!! All we need is for him to get hurt in some meaningless team usa crap and not have him again next season!

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
2 knee surgery's in one year...

hello Patrick Ewing.

As his knee's go, so will the body.

Suns may get one useful season out of him, but he'll NEVER be the player we saw last year.

Bet you 100 to 1 the Suns run FULL check ups on all players before any contract is done.

Amare fooled the Suns like I haven't seen done in ANY Sport by any player. Signs a contract, next day- "Coach, my knee is f'd up."

He's cashing checks every week!!!

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
optmistic view.. he rest for the rest of the season, comes back rusty, reach full health and conditioning mid way next season... he's fine, about 80-85% of his best.

pessimistic view.. he rest for the season, comes back, reach full health and conditioning mid way next season... misses several games due to knee soreness, he's playing about 60-65% of himself, rarely explodes and sprints.... Chris Webber without the smarts and skills... Suns are done.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We just have to be sure to keep some perspective. The lesion on the left knee was still very small, and for all intents and purposes, is completely healthy. IF the right knee is simply a cyst with no major damage, his chances of recovery seem fairly good.

It does no good to proclaim his career over quite yet.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jibikao said:
Stop using the word "Probably"!!!! Cut that BS. Amare is DONE for the season. Stop giving people false hope. I am tired of all these false-hope articles. Just name the article, "Amare is done for the season and he needs time to rest."

I agree Amare is most likely out for the season, but it will not be official until I hear it from the Amare, the doctor and the Suns.

Am I expecting him back this season... no.

However, there is no need to be dogmatic about the matter. The Suns are moving forward with their present lineup.

Actually I'm unsure if KT will make it back in time to help the Suns in the playoffs. Even if KT does make it back he will need time to get into playing shape and team chemistry may be effected.

I know the Amare situation has been stressful for all the Suns' fans. Let's just let things unfold naturally as nothing in life is certain but death and taxes. :)

jibikao

Reaction score
Mainstreet said:
I agree Amare is most likely out for the season, but it will not be official until I hear it from the Amare, the doctor and the Suns.

Am I expecting him back this season... no.

However, there is no need to be dogmatic about the matter. The Suns are moving forward with their present lineup.

Actually I'm unsure if KT will make it back in time to help the Suns in the playoffs. Even if KT does make it back he will need time to get into playing shape and team chemistry may be effected.

I know the Amare situation has been stressful for all the Suns' fans. Let's just let things unfold naturally as nothing in life is certain but death and taxes. :)

Amare just had another surgery on the right knee when he isn't fully recovered yet. Suns should just make a decision and announce that Amare is done for the season. There is no reason to "hide" the news or to hope that Amare CAN come back. Sure, push him back and ruin his career. That's the way I see it.

And I also don't have much hope on KT. We still need to pass the 1st round and maybe 2nd round to see KT. At this moment, I can't say we are going to WCF for sure. I need to see the first few playoff games to see how Diaw/House/Bell/Jones/Tim Thomas perform. We have huge rebounding problem that we might not be able to solve until KT comes back. It's just me... I just don't feel as confident now.

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WOW you guys are a little doom and gloom to early here. Lets wait and see what was done before we start declaring his career is over. He did not have enough time to come back from the microfracture no one has ever come back that quickly and played even close to their ability's. He will be back just needs the time to heal fully and mentally get ready to go. His conditioning is/was far from where the suns need it for their up and down game. His career is not done some of you alarmists are amazing to just assume this, we will see in due time we he can actually finish recovering from the surgery.