Amare probably done for season - New surgery on right knee

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dan H said:
Michael Jordan broke a bone in his foot and missed 60+ games the second year of his career. He dedicated himself to rehab and came back better than ever.

I know that knees and feet are two different things, but feet can be even more debilitating than knees - take Bill Walton, for example.

Broken bones always BETTER than damaged joints...

I can break my whole lower leg in half, and come back 10-12 months and that leg will be stronger and more resistant to breaking...

You damage a joint... it regresses and weakens... joint injuries are career ending... broken bones, heal stronger and quicker.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
elindholm said:
"He'll start rehabbing next week, and I'd imagine his goal is to start getting ready for Team USA," said D'Antoni, an assistant on the U.S. team."

I find that utterly incomprehensible. I have no idea why D'Antoni, as general manager, is permitting such nonsensical talk.

No kidding. The idea of Amare playing for team USA this summer is ridiculous.

Errntknght

Reaction score
"No kidding. The idea of Amare playing for team USA this summer is ridiculous."

This has to be the first time I've ever been in agreement with grahamcrackr, Eric and Chaplin all at once. It is nice to see NBA players who want to compete for their nation, but not at this juncture for Amare.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Errntknght said:

This has to be the first time I've ever been in agreement with grahamcrackr, Eric and Chaplin all at once.

LOL

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
bones vs other injuries - yeah - my sucker punched broken jaw with a titanium plate in it feels WAAY better than my bad left knee and right shoulder... or is that bad right knee and left shoulder?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:

This has to be the first time I've ever been in agreement with grahamcrackr, Eric and Chaplin all at once. It is nice to see NBA players who want to compete for their nation, but not at this juncture for Amare.

:thud:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Is it possible the the Olympic preps will help Amare be ready for training camp next year? I mean, he's essentially taking a year off from basketball, would this give him a chance to regain his confidence in the knees, work on some parts of his game, and generally be ready to go next October? I mean, if he can't really damage the knees by playing, then what's the harm?

Errntknght

Reaction score
He's a lot less likely to get re-injured starting to play his way back if he does it against the comparative weaklings that comprise the Suns team. Besides that they'd probably tend to careful of him. As competetive as Amare is, I could see him trying to prove something at the Team USA workouts and running into someone bigger and stronger who also trying to prove something.

I just watched the Clippers run roughshod over our guys - the Colangelo legacy of soft teams lives on - and it got me going again. Sheesh, Aaron Williams comes on the market and the Suns show no interest but when wimpy Skita surfaces they snatch him up. Neither one is likely to figure significantly in the teams future but there's lots of traffic in players at their level so you can get a read on what interests a team by looking at acquisitions of that type. The Suns shun strength like it was a diseased condition.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
I just watched the Clippers run roughshod over our guys - the Colangelo legacy of soft teams lives on - and it got me going again. Sheesh, Aaron Williams comes on the market and the Suns show no interest but when wimpy Skita surfaces they snatch him up. Neither one is likely to figure significantly in the teams future but there's lots of traffic in players at their level so you can get a read on what interests a team by looking at acquisitions of that type. The Suns shun strength like it was a diseased condition.

How can you even begin to say that? Kurt Thomas and Amare Stoudemire are INJURED. You make it sound like Colangelo planned for these guys to get injured so he can continue his legacy of "soft teams". How can you say they "shun strength"? That is as ridiculous a saying as "Chris Webber is a superstar".

nowagimp

Reaction score
Errntknght said:
He's a lot less likely to get re-injured starting to play his way back if he does it against the comparative weaklings that comprise the Suns team. Besides that they'd probably tend to careful of him. As competetive as Amare is, I could see him trying to prove something at the Team USA workouts and running into someone bigger and stronger who also trying to prove something.

So Aaron Williams(your choice?) is tough and KT(Colangelo choice) is soft? Now thats a rediculous IMPLIED statement. Aaron WIlliams was written off by most NBA scouts because he doesnt have the footspeed or athleticism to guard any offensive minded 4 or 5 in the NBA. He's a dud, and even worse, a dud with alot of NBA miles proving what he cant do. EVERY NBA team would play soft with the loss of the starting 4, and 5. Think of the clips without Kaman and Brand, the Spurs without Duncan and Mohammed, the Pistons without Ben and Rasheedd Wallace. What ARE you saying here?

Errntknght

Reaction score
Oh, crap, I thought it wasn't necessary to specifically point out that I wasn't comparing a small minute sub like Williams to KT or Amare. I made the comparison to Skita - and, strangely enough, that is what I meant. Now if I was pumping Aaron to be the starting PF or C instead of a physically strong 10th man, you'd have a point. At the time we got Skita and could have pursued Williams, Amare and Grant were out so we were shoring up our frontcourt, don't you remember?

As far as the general issue of strength of our players, I assumed everyone was aware that it is low at every position. I don't think we have anyone that is above average in strength for their position in the NBA. Marion might be slightly above average for SF's but even when everyone is healthy he plays a lot of PF and he well below average there. Moreover he avoids using his strength whenever possible. Tim Thomas is above average for SF, but he doesn't play that position on the Suns. KT is tough and smart but among C's he is lucky to be average in strength. Same story with Bell, tough and cagey but below average for SG and SF, which he plays a fair amount.

Of course, I was very glad when BC got KT - it was the kind of thing I'd been hoping he'd do for years. Still it was only one step and KT is nearing the end of his career and he's not strong enough to give us the balance of power in the frontcourt against many teams - if any. Bell was another good step, IMO - signing someone who is noted for their defense but he is undersized for his position, too. So while there was some progress in the directions I've long hoped the Suns would move we are still awfully weak physically.

The point of talking about how they fill out the end of bench is that choosing Skita over Williams shows the underlying mindset - finesse and long range shooting trumps muscle, even when its evident we need the latter.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
nowagimp said:
EVERY NBA team would play soft with the loss of the starting 4, and 5. Think of the clips without Kaman and Brand, the Spurs without Duncan and Mohammed, the Pistons without Ben and Rasheedd Wallace. What ARE you saying here?
I have to agree here. I mean what can we expect of boris at 6'8" 215 as far as being a power player goes? And why didn't we play Grant or Burke during the Clippers game? I think D'As strategies are even more to blame than the teams injuries.

Last edited:

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Errntknght said:
The point of talking about how they fill out the end of bench is that choosing Skita over Williams shows the underlying mindset - finesse and long range shooting trumps muscle, even when its evident we need the latter.
I kinda wonder if we got somebody like Millsap if it would necessarily change our whole team dynamic or if we could augment strength into the team... Could someone like Millsap, who could scrap for rebounds and defend his position, keep up with the Suns? For that matter, could we whip someone like Glen Davis into shape and still have a bruiser on our hands?

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Now if I was pumping Aaron to be the starting PF or C instead of a physically strong 10th man, you'd have a point. At the time we got Skita and could have pursued Williams, Amare and Grant were out so we were shoring up our frontcourt, don't you remember?

Aaron Williams is terrible. I don't care how strong he is (and by the way, he's a lot less strong that you seem to want to give him credit for). He would have helped this team this year exactly as much as Tskitishvili has -- zilch. I think he's very close to the Burke level (more mobile and experienced but less strong and without a shooting touch), and you can see how much Burke's contribution has been valued by the coaching staff.

D'Antoni says that the Tskitishvili acquisition was for next season. I personally think that's a load of hooey, but I have little choice but to reserve judgment, especially in light of Milicic's apparent blossoming. Williams wouldn't play now and he wouldn't play later. So, since it's a long shot versus a guaranteed loser, the smart money goes on the long shot.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Aaron Williams is a decent backup big and much stronger than you seem to want to give him credit for - not only that, he uses it to rebound, which Burke avoids. True he doesn't have much range but shoots a passable jumper out to about 15 feet. Mostly he scores in close on putbacks and broken plays - we could use more of that. You wouldn't catch him dogging it getting back on defense after five minutes like Burke did in the Spurs game - since which event Pat has deservedly gotten zilch in the way of PT. I have little doubt Aaron would be regularly logging 15 minutes or so as our 'enforcer' in the absence of KT and Amare.

I have no problem with taking a gamble on Skita but if it gets in the way of filling an immediate need, then I don't like it.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:

Geesh, this season has done a complete 180 degree turn. From so much optimism back in training camp, to probably not getting past the first round of the playoffs.

*double sigh* :(

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Errntknght said:

I guess somebody has to disagree...:lol:

One of the things that disappointed me about Amare's comeback was that he didn't seem to have made any adjustments to his game since the end of last season--he wasn't shooting with confidence after a miss, for example, or fouling instead of giving up an easy basket. Amare still has a lot to learn, and he couldn't seem to translate what he learned last summer (or in rehab) w/o court time.

I think Amare will be a better player next April if he works out with the Olympic team this summer. :shrug:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I guess somebody has to disagree...:lol:

One of the things that disappointed me about Amare's comeback was that he didn't seem to have made any adjustments to his game since the end of last season--he wasn't shooting with confidence after a miss, for example, or fouling instead of giving up an easy basket. Amare still has a lot to learn, and he couldn't seem to translate what he learned last summer (or in rehab) w/o court time.

I'm confused by your statements. Amare had virtually no mobility out on the floor. That adversly affects every thing he does or tries to do.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Folster said:
I'm confused by your statements. Amare had virtually no mobility out on the floor. That adversly affects every thing he does or tries to do.

My concern (in this one case) is with Amare's intentions, not his effectiveness. He's got to re-train himself to play differently, and what better way than to spend the summer with Coach D'Antoni?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
The radio guys this morning were speculating that he might try to play again (ie, what was the point of including him in the playoff roster then?)

In one of the videos, they showed him with ball in his hands before Game 7 saying 'sure wish I was playing tonight' and the camera guy said (wistfully) 'yeah, me too, Stat.'

He is itching to go!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DeAnna said:
The radio guys this morning were speculating that he might try to play again (ie, what was the point of including him in the playoff roster then?)

In one of the videos, they showed him with ball in his hands before Game 7 saying 'sure wish I was playing tonight' and the camera guy said (wistfully) 'yeah, me too, Stat.'

He is itching to go!

Take a lesson from your first comeback and sit it out. We will be the favorites to win it all next year, and you can keep the MVP trophy in Phoenix (although it is very unlikely because of Nash winning twice)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If the Suns make the finals and Stoudemire can play, he has to. It's that simple. You don't shrug off a finals berth because maybe you'll get there again in a year or two.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
i envision him comming in game 7 of the finals to save his team. kinda like when randy johnson came running in from the bullpen in the 9th innning in game 7 of the WS to seal the deal.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
elindholm said:
If the Suns make the finals and Stoudemire can play, he has to. It's that simple. You don't shrug off a finals berth because maybe you'll get there again in a year or two.

Definitely....