And Now At #24

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
With so many trade proposals including moving up, it seems likely that the Suns will not be taking that pick. But until something happens, that's where they are drafting.

There are several issues involved with this pick.

1. Will the Suns also use the #29?

2. What else do they plan such as free agent signings?

3. What type of player are they targeting?

1. My guess is that the Suns will try to take a point guard prospect for development at #29. If they trade the #29, then the chances of taking a PG type at #24 are much higher, but otherwise it seems unlikely they'd take a PG there.

2. If the Suns seriously think they can get Grant Hill, then I'd view their priorities different than if they don't. Upwards of 20 teams have expressed interest in Hill, so it is only the chance to win it all that would attract him, but if he goes elsewhere it changes the priorities.

3. If the Suns doubt they can get Hill, I would think their first priority would be to get someone who could replace Jones in the starting lineup.
-------------------------------------------------------------
BIGS

Ideally, I'd think the Suns would go for a big man. I don't like any of the big guys rated in the late teens.

Julian Wright - Long shot to fall that low. Has lottery talent, but has not been doing all that well in the workouts according to DX. Suns have not worked him out.

Jason Smith - Probably would be gone anyway, but he's very raw and would not get playing time.

Tiago Splitter - Has major buyout issues. Verdict is mixed on how good he is anyway, but not worth losing a year and posibly more.

Josh McRoberts - Seems too soft and not athletic enough to be much help

Sean Williams - Head case with huge motivational problems No, No. No

Nick Fazekas - Seems like a long shot. Very good shooter, but lacks the ahtleticism and physical nature to be a very good fit.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Of the bigs, all but the last two seem likely to be gone before the Suns pick and only Julian Wright would be worth moving up for. Overall, there does not appear to be any immediate help from this category. So unless the Suns see something everyone else have missed, it seems unlikely they'll take a big.
------------------------------------------------------------------
WINGS

None of the pure PG's look like they are going to be able to contribute immediately. Koponen and Pruitt appear to be long range projects. Crittenton is getting interest in the late lottery range and is not thought to be able to help immediately either. Taurean Green has not (to my knowledge) even been worked out.

There are some wings with talent and at least one or two should be available tat #24

Rodney Stuckey - He's more of a combo guard than a wing, but at 6'5" 205 he is about the size of Raja. He's getting great reviews and has been invited to the Green Room (15 guys), so he's likely to be long gone.

Thaddeus Young - Very athletic guy with a lot of skills. No one expect him to drop to #24. He has not been worked out with the Suns.

Rudy Fernández - He has a huge buyout and is almost certain not to be available this year. He's a serious buy and stash player, but not good enough to use the #24 on.

Morris Almond - Great shooter with good fundimentals. He's generally expected to earlier than #24. Questions about his quickness and defense are somewhat offset by an amazing shooting stroke and intelliigence.

Daequan Cook - Super athlete who should have stayed in school where he'd be a possible lottery pick next year. Seems like he's too raw to take at #24, but a real possibility.

Marco Belinelli - Italian star who can shoot. His stock is down following a weak year, but is more polished than Cook with similar upside.

Derrick Byars - May be the best defender of the wings but lacks the upside to be viewed as future star. A good but not great shooter, he is versaile enough to be be a player in the Suns system, but gets taken more for defense than anything else.

Jared Dudley - Simialr size and attributes as Byars. Viewed as a role player who can contribute but not likely to star.

Marcus Williams - U of A player who was widely viewed as an under achiever. Has the talent to be a very good pro, but perhaps not the dedication.

nbadraft.net has a bunch of other guys int he 20's but I don't think they deserive to be there.

Wilson Chandler - Very raw
Alando Tucker - Has the skills of a power forward in the body of an SG
Arron Afflalo - Not althletic enough to make up for an inconsistent shot.
------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is that the Suns can hope to get a serviceable player at #24 and might luck into an exceptional one if he drops. It's not clear that there is much to be gained by trading up into the late teens, but it remains a possibility if somebody drops or the Suns are really excited about someone like Almond.

Last edited:

Brianellsworth

Registered
Reaction score
This thread is entirely too informational for me....hopefully we wont even have this pick because we will be using it to get Garnett

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
I think he did a good job on the thread to be honest...

He is "thinking and evaluating" which is more than peeps do.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
This thread is entirely too informational for me....

In contrast to the 1,000,000 "Let's Trade Marion or Diaw and Banks for This Superstar" threads?

I think this is a very good and logic filled thread, and wish there were more like it.

As for the topic at hand, although he comes with a HUGE rap sheet, I'd really not be against taking Williams with the lower of two picks. Perhaps working on a team with vets like Nash and Bell, Williams will learn some of the ways of the world and will keep himself out of trouble, knowing he could logically wind up being a key part to a championship (knock on wood) in the future. I think his upside and skill at worst deserves a look.

sunsfn

Reaction score
With Koponen and Pruitt coming in again for a 2nd look, the suns may be looking at one of them for the 29th pick.
In the past, the suns have drafted players they bought in the 2nd time. Now there may be others we do not hear about, but Koponin and Pruit are both listed at 6' 4" tall, and point guards so the suns may be getting one of them for a backup.
I think there is a chance both may be available on the 29th pick.

They may have to trade the 24th and Banks to get rid of him (some reports) if that is what they have to do.........that would really hurt!

Barring a trade to move up, I look for them to take one of these pg's.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
My guess is, the Suns will get Fernandez if they possibly can. (Since they actually preferred to stash Sergio Rodriguez, they shouldn't have any issues with Fernandez, as long as they are confident he'll come over when they call.)

If not, they need shooters, so Belinelli and Almond are likely choices. I'd love to see them go after a raw talent like Thaddeus Young, but I'm not holding my breath. :shrug:

sunsfn

Reaction score
My guess is, the Suns will get Fernandez if they possibly can. (Since they actually preferred to stash Sergio Rodriguez, they shouldn't have any issues with Fernandez, as long as they are confident he'll come over when they call.)

I think I read that Fernandez has a large buy-out. I need to check that out unless someone here remembers it?

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
If he doesn't, he won't last to #24, let's put it that way. :)

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
very nice write-up.

didn't see anyone mention jared jordan or whatever his name was from marist. seems like an excellent prospect for the suns

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice write-up.

didn't see anyone mention jared jordan or whatever his name was from marist. seems like an excellent prospect for the suns

He is widely seen as a second round prospect due to his lack of experience against elite competition and lack of athleticism.

Of course this was before he tore up the pre-draft camps.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
very nice write-up.

He's listed as a second round pick. The main issue is that he's a great assist guy but does not have enough other offensive skills.

Draft Express has him ranked 50th (20th pick in the second round). http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=1094

DX has a statisical comparison of point guards, which is very revealing. http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2066

Jordan led the country in assists and was middle of the pack in scoring at 17.8 ppg and was very good at his assists to turnover ratio at 2.6.

However, Jordan shot only 42.5% and just 29.3% for three (college three). His points per possession was 0.67 (next to last), his "True Shooting Percentage" TS% = Pts/(2*(FGA + (.47*FTA)) was second to last among listed PG's as was his Effective Field Goal Percentage (allows for three point shooting)

Athletically he ranks relatively low. His 3/4 court dash figure of 3.39 puts him at the same speed range as centers and power forwards. http://www.draftexpress.com/measurements.php?year=2007&sort2=&draft=&sort=12

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
He's listed as a second round pick. The main issue is that he's a great assist guy but does not have enough other offensive skills.

Draft Express has him ranked 50th (20th pick in the second round). http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=1094

DX has a statisical comparison of point guards, which is very revealing. http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2066

Jordan led the country in assists and was middle of the pack in scoring at 17.8 ppg and was very good at his assists to turnover ratio at 2.6.

However, Jordan shot only 42.5% and just 29.3% for three (college three). His points per possession was 0.67 (next to last), his "True Shooting Percentage" TS% = Pts/(2*(FGA + (.47*FTA)) was second to last among listed PG's as was his Effective Field Goal Percentage (allows for three point shooting)

Athletically he ranks relatively low. His 3/4 court dash figure of 3.39 puts him at the same speed range as centers and power forwards. http://www.draftexpress.com/measurements.php?year=2007&sort2=&draft=&sort=12

shooting luckily can be taught and improved dramatically, so that's not such a big problem. his lack of athleticism is a problem, but if you look steve nash is not all that athletic but he keeps in top form at all times making the best of what he has. speed is a concern

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
shooting luckily can be taught and improved dramatically, so that's not such a big problem. his lack of athleticism is a problem, but if you look steve nash is not all that athletic but he keeps in top form at all times making the best of what he has. speed is a concern

I really wish shooting was that easy to teach. As for athleticism, it is decptive to use Nash as an example. It really hurts Steve on the defensive end and few people can do the things he does to compensate such as dribbling with either hand, have 360 vision, being able to dirbble as fast as he can run, etc.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I really wish shooting was that easy to teach. As for athleticism, it is decptive to use Nash as an example. It really hurts Steve on the defensive end and few people can do the things he does to compensate such as dribbling with either hand, have 360 vision, being able to dirbble as fast as he can run, etc.

yeah, it's never really fair to compare anyone to nash.

i like that kid's potential though. anyone know how he is defensively?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake