Another speed WR I overlooked

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I know someone else has brought him up before but Craphonso Thorpe of Florida State is another kid likely to last out of the first round who could give us a real deep threat.

6'1" 177, blazing fast (4.37 40 10.43 100meters won the ACC 100 and 200 meters in college track). Thorpe broke his leg in the bowl game last year and got off to a slow start, factor in their lousy QB situation and he's gone from 11 TD's last year to only 1 this year and from 19 YPC to 12.

We've done pretty well with FSU guys and given his weight, coming off the broken leg, and slow senior year, very unlikely he'll go much higher than 2nd round, Kiper currently ranks him the #4 WR prospect behind Mike Williams, Braylon Edwards and Mark Clayton and if others come out, he good move down further.

Kiper's current big board has Benson #1, Ronnie Brown #2 and Carnell Williams #3 FWIW.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a name like "Craphonso", it has to be good.

A-Bomb

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Craphonso Thorpe .

:biglaugh: that name is killing me..

other than that :bhiich: . We need all the speed we can get. I have never heard of the guy before. Can he catch?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL, we were talking about Craphonso yesterday in relation to him and Quan playing together (Quan threw him a touchdown in the Sugar Bowl, I believe).

I don't know about drafting anyone who's nickname is likely "Crap." Seriously, what were his parents thinking??

Under his profile on his "Trivia" section it says the following: "Has a Menendez-like hatred for his parents." Go figure. :D

I'd take, uh...Crap, in the later rounds. :) Better than a lot of the crap we've brought in in the past, save last draft. But boy oh boy, he's a headline waiting to happen.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I really like Mark Clayton. I think he's the best WR of the group.

Call me crazy.

I'm with you on the mark clayton thing. I could actually see this team taking a WR with the top pick 3 years in a row, setting up to get an rb in the 2nd.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
I really like Mark Clayton. I think he's the best WR of the group.

Call me crazy.

I like him too but I don't think he fits our need. He's a YAC guy, I've seen him called the best YAC guy to come out in years, the problem is he is mainly a slot WR, quick (4.45 40) but not blazing fast. he's a very good player but having 3 slot WR's probably doesn't work.

He's really good after the catch though, he's a bit short but I bet he's a qualify NFL player.

I'm basically trying to see if there are any run like the wind stretch the field kind of guys to get later than the first round to help us get some vertical plays.

Crap can do that if he's healthy and he and Quan already know each other.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Wont Bryan Gilmore be available :confused:

:D

See, swd...the guy's name is Craphonso. So when we say "Crap" we are talking about him by nickname. This isn't the place to drag other recievers who actually ARE crap out of the woodwork. :D

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I might have to pass on him..

Wonder what kinda endzone celebration a guy named crap would come up with?

I'm him, I go to the judge and say look at what my parents did.

Instant name change after the judge stops laughing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
I might have to pass on him..

Wonder what kinda endzone celebration a guy named crap would come up with?

Oh my. I'm guessing it would look something like Marbury's half court squat after beating the Spurs in the playoffs.

You must be registered for see images

Reaction score
Your on a roll D-Dogg!

"Cardinals get Crap in 2nd round of Draft."

"Seahawks can't catch Crap."

"Cardinals Crap all over St. Louis."

:bhiich:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know we can use a burner at WR, but are you guys suggesting that - on the heels of Bryant Johnson, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, we overlook more pressing problems at QB, NT, O-line and CB because we fell in love with a blazer at WR?

First of all, who we take will most likely be a function of who drops to us in the "Best Athlete" pool of available talent.

Secondly, there are usually speedsters around in Rounds 3 - 5.

Thirdly, dude can't be "just fast." Gotta be able to run routes, be explosive out of his cuts and catch the ball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no...no no no.

No WR until second day.

My draft goes

1. RB (most likely RB since the QBs will be gone..goooo DeAngelo)
2. QB (if auburn guy falls here) or best available CB/OL/DT
3. CB/OL/DT
4. Whichever we don't have yet
5. WR burner
6. BPA
7. BPA

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Oh no...no no no.

No WR until second day.

My draft goes

3. CB/OL/DT
5. WR burner
6. BPA
7. BPA

I'd be very happy with DeAngelo in the first, Jason Campbell in the second.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I know we can use a burner at WR, but are you guys suggesting that - on the heels of Bryant Johnson, Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald, we overlook more pressing problems at QB, NT, O-line and CB because we fell in love with a blazer at WR?

First of all, who we take will most likely be a function of who drops to us in the "Best Athlete" pool of available talent.

Secondly, there are usually speedsters around in Rounds 3 - 5.

Thirdly, dude can't be "just fast." Gotta be able to run routes, be explosive out of his cuts and catch the ball.

Not first round, I'm specifically looking at guys out of the first round, due to a broken leg in the offseason, lack of weight, and down senior year I expect Thorpe to be out of the first round, possibly out of the 2nd round. Thorpe had 11 TD catches last year on a team with QB problems, this year Qb has been worse, and he's not fully recovered from his injury.

Pre injury he was a first rounder now he may go 2nd or 3rd round depending on how he looks at combine.

I don't want a first round WR but I think we'd be nuts to go into next season with Bryant JOhnson as our SPEED WR.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
Imagine the Cardinals with Spiderman, Big Bang, Crap and maybe a Cadillac in the backfield.

So if DeAngelo is gone we draft Cadillac in round 1, Crap in round 2, Marcedes Lewis in round 3.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
Oh no...no no no.

No WR until second day.

My draft goes

3. CB/OL/DT
5. WR burner
6. BPA
7. BPA

Just missing a TE in either the 3rd or 4th round.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A year ago I would have like Thorpe, but he has regressed markedly this season. It's not just the recovery process. He is short arming balls in the middle of the field and running sloppy routes. Some of it is the coaching staff is a mess, but he knows the drill and isn't executing it.

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Harry said:
A year ago I would have like Thorpe, but he has regressed markedly this season. It's not just the recovery process. He is short arming balls in the middle of the field and running sloppy routes. Some of it is the coaching staff is a mess, but he knows the drill and isn't executing it.
Harry - have you had a chance to see Roddy White of UAB? His stats are impressive but I won't get a chance to see him except for the bowl game.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry said:

That's what I'm banking on, he's having a down year and will slide in the draft as a result. their QB's suck, I'm not surprised all of their WR's are having down years.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
sure Russ

In the draft will get a Cadillac, Crap and a Mercedes. We could then change Craphonso's name to Yugo since it's crap and doesn't sound as bad as crap. then we could change Shipp's nickname to Hummer. Boldin to BMW. Fitz to Rolls Royce, and hopefully find a speed WR ...either a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. And maybe I should shut-up now with this dumb car thread.

:rolleyes:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I have seen White and he looks fast. I say looks, because the opposition was not the best when I saw him, so I did have a good basis for comparison. He has decent hands, but runs mediocre routes. Still he should last until the second or third round. He's a cinch for the combine and that will likely control his fate. He reminds me Dez White if you want someone to compare him to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05