Antrel Rolle

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Rolle & Fransisco can play Saftey. Move Adrian Wilson to OLB where he will explode.

FS-Rolle SS-Fransisco
CB-Green CB- Clements
OLB-Dansby MLB-Hayes OLD-Wilson
DE-Berry DT-Clancey DT-Dockett DE-NEW

If it works out that would be great but I just don't see Wilson at linebacker. But if he does well there and Dansby can stay healthy that will be the top linebacker trio in the league. Who is Clements? Is that the old guy that there was a thread about? If we get a top corner and a DE or two then i'll really like our D.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Im all for moving Rolle to FS. The only problem is we dont have anyone to replace him at corner. Denny is unwilling to play Macklin much and Ware just isnt ready to play that many snaps.

I would love to see us sign a good lock down corner, but the chances of that are slim. If we cant draft a guy like Joe Thomas in the 1st round this year, we should look at picking up a player in the secondary. If we draft a S, then Rolle is staying at corner.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im all for moving Rolle to FS. The only problem is we dont have anyone to replace him at corner. Denny is unwilling to play Macklin much and Ware just isnt ready to play that many snaps.

You hit the nail on the head. We're too weak at CB to move Rolle to S.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
So you guys give a player about 10 games to prove himself at one of the toughest positions to play in the NFL before you think they're a bust. If that's the case about 85% of the league is full of busts. Lutui must be a bust because he is just now getting on the field. Adrian Wilson should be called a bust because he sure did struggle at first. Jeez, give the guy a chance. I guess if Donald Driver is second rate then we have a little un-realistic expectations for players. I guess if you're not Jerry Rice, wait a minute, he suffered through a year of drops. I guess you have to come in and play at extremely high level from day 1. There is no time to learn the game and improve.Let's give the guy a chance.

No. Some of us saw it at the U of Miami. He wasnt exposed b/c tose defense he played on were so good. He played zone a lot and picked off passes when the dline was drapped on the QB.

He isnt fluid. Has bad hips and no speed. Thats a deadly combo for a cb. He has loads of talent at safety because he is such a willing tackler and physical, but he isnt, and never has been a cb, imo

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Offer Aneas Williams a DB coaching position. Let him teach. I don't recall him being a speed merchant but he could cover like a blanket. Hopefully he could teach these kids to play.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Clancy is setting him up to fail with his "give the WR a mile cushion crap" and jumping on Rolle isn't taking into account that this is really his first year playing since he was injured most of last year. Rolle is a good CB.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The coverage schemes didn't make him get undisciplined and reach out and commit PIs yesterday.

Kid has no technique.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clancy is setting him up to fail with his "give the WR a mile cushion crap" and jumping on Rolle isn't taking into account that this is really his first year playing since he was injured most of last year. Rolle is a good CB.

Why is Rolle consistently further off than Green? Is that by design too? If it is, ask yourself why, is Clancy stupid or does he just know his #1 CB can't cover #1 WR's so he tells him to give a huge cushion so he won't get beaten deep too often?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Rolle is a good CB.
wow, Rolle cant cover anyone. Buy a tivo and watch him get beat allday long.

Macklin is better than Rolle by far. Green gives him a bad rap but he plays pretty well IMO. Macklin is not a #1, but a number 2 he can handle.

Move Rolle and see what he can give you at FS.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Why move Rolle to FS?? If anything he should just be in Bump N Run Coverage all day. He's strong but has no speed. He has no technique to play over the top. Never really seen him make good plays on the ball.

Rolle is a ST player.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Why is Rolle consistently further off than Green? Is that by design too? If it is, ask yourself why, is Clancy stupid or does he just know his #1 CB can't cover #1 WR's so he tells him to give a huge cushion so he won't get beaten deep too often?

EXACTLY! This became clear as day when Torry Holt wiped Matt Ware up and down the field while Rolle got consistently beat by old balls Isaac Bruce. If Clancy has any confidence at all in Rolle, he would play him against the better recievers game in and game out. And before anyone writes it, I don't buy the "he only covers one side of the field, regardless of which WR lines up against him" argument. Once again, if Rolle had any ability to cover a #1 WR, Clancy would alter his coverage schemes to where Rolle would have the toughest matchups. Switch him to FS- he'll still make PI's but not as many as he is now and he shouldn't get burnt. If he continues to let guys behind him then we have real problems. He needs to start playing with his head

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Haven't any of you geniuses considered that a big part of the problem with the secondary is their coach, Richard Solomon.

He's never coached anyone "up" in his life.

Not in Minnesota or here.

And those are the only two places he's coached in the NFL.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't any of you geniuses considered that a big part of the problem with the secondary is their coach, Richard Solomon.

He's never coached anyone "up" in his life.

Not in Minnesota or here.

And those are the only two places he's coached in the NFL.

Pendergast is in charge of this defense and I'm sure he has as much to do with the DB's development as the DB coach himself does. So if your asking whether it's the DB coaches fault for Rolle getting burnt regularly on designed 10 yard soft covergages (because he's slow) or the incredibly stupid PI penalties he consistently makes, the answer is NO. Enough with blaming everything on position coaches, genius.

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So by your logic then, why is Robert Griffith still playing too.

He makes Antrel look like Bob Hayes.

(hint....the "Minny" connection)

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
So by your logic then, why is Robert Griffith still playing too.

He makes Antrel look like Bob Hayes.

(hint....the "Minny" connection)

I don't think he should be playing. I think we should move Rolle to FS which would put Griffith on the bench. I'm sure Denny doesn't want to do that because moving Rolle to FS would mean Ware of Maclin would play every down which is scary. If we can sign or a draft a DB in the first 3 rounds this year moving Rolle to FS should be a given

Big T

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't agree with this "move Antrel to safety" stuff at all.

I've said since before the regular season started, that Aaron Francisco appears to have everything it takes, (except maybe a little experience) to be a good free safety.

This move Antrel BS I simply write off to typical Madden/Fantasy mentality, which has no correlation to the real world at all.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with this "move Antrel to safety" stuff at all.

I've said since before the regular season started, that Aaron Francisco appears to have everything it takes, (except maybe a little experience) to be a good free safety.

This move Antrel BS I simply write off to typical Madden/Fantasy mentality, which has no correlation to the real world at all.

I would agree except virtually every scouting report I read on Rolle before the NFL draft said the same thing, some NFL teams think he's a FS not a CB.

This isn't something fans made up, it was something NFL scouts thought up.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, Aaron Francisco looked great yesterday

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Agreed.

He is thinks he is hot s#!t in a champagne glass, but he really is cold diarrhea in a dixie cup.

He has dropped as many INT's as Boldin has dropped passes.

I also like when Rolle tries to be a tough guy and shoulder tackle and not wrap and thus miss the tackle, and screws up everything.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

1-8.

Mutliple dropped INT's.

Multiple big plays against him.

Multiple missed tackles.

He sucks.

But don't worry Eric Green sucks too, and so does Griffith, Fransisco, and Wilson is overrated.

And they all are quitters and sandbaggers.

How do I prove this? 1-8 nuff said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just one more added to the list of Cardinal first round busts.

Nothing new here.

It's really galling how little talent this team STILL has. They still need TWO STARTING CORNERS, one Safety, at least one LBer and from the looks of it, two DEs and there's room for improvement as far as DT goes as well. That's still SIX freaking players on defense - not to mention an entire O-line.

Good god that's pathetic. And I'm being kind here.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The only thing Rolle does good is tackle, I'll give him that. Wilson needs to work on his tackling. If he doesn't start wrapping up, I'm gonna lose it. He tries to get on "Jacked Up" nearly every tackle.

It was great to see that Wilson and Rolle got in a heated confrontation at halftime. Some of these vets need to put these young punks (Rolle and Green) in their place

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score

In a Cover-2 or a Cover-2 variation when the S on one side is brought up the CB on the side is dropped back, you will see it consistently with the Steelers also.