Antrel Rolle

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Huh? Rolle is perhaps the best tackling CB ever. If he gets his fingertips on you you have a 99% chance of being tackled.
True, he also gets alot of tackling attempts since the guy he is on is open most of the time.
(Move him to saftey plz)

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So typical. How about we get him some decent coaching before we stick a fork in him? Even if he doesn't work out at CB, move him to FS and sign Clements or Samuel.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Huh? Rolle is perhaps the best tackling CB ever. If he gets his fingertips on you you have a 99% chance of being tackled.

Fingertips? Are you kidding ?

I haven't seen the guy wrap anyone up yet. AND I have seen him bounce off of players when "Trying" to tackle them.

Just because he can throw his body around doesn't make him a good tackler.

As for the best tackling CB ever? I think for modern day Antoine Winfield is the best.

As for EVER? He is not even the best tackling CB in Cardinals history. Night Train Lane was the best.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for EVER? He is not even the best tackling CB in Cardinals history. Night Train Lane was the best.

Tell us some of the great stories of Night Train he was way before my time.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Tell us some of the great stories of Night Train he was way before my time.

FROM ME ?!?!?!

I am a youngin'.

All I got to go by are his stats, and the highlights I get to see on the NFL Network.

The guy is a Hall of Famer too.

AS per NFLN he was a ball hawk, and a viscious tackler.

If you get to see highlights of him he destroys people. Before it became illegal he used to clothesline guys out of thier boots. It is quite a site to see.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FROM ME ?!?!?!

I am a youngin'.

All I got to go by are his stats, and the highlights I get to see on the NFL Network.

The guy is a Hall of Famer too.

AS per NFLN he was a ball hawk, and a viscious tackler.

If you get to see highlights of him he destroys people. Before it became illegal he used to clothesline guys out of thier boots. It is quite a site to see.

That's why I was asking I wasn't sure if you saw him play. All I know is he was best known for the "night train necktie" which involved grabbing the guy by the head and neck to pull him down.

I've seen some highlights but who can compare eras?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why I was asking I wasn't sure if you saw him play. All I know is he was best known for the "night train necktie" which involved grabbing the guy by the head and neck to pull him down.

I saw him(Night Train Lane) play when he was with the Lions. Really a very hard hitter and had a knack for interceptions. QBs rarely threw to whom ever he was covering. One of the first "shut down" cbs.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
So typical. How about we get him some decent coaching before we stick a fork in him? Even if he doesn't work out at CB, move him to FS and sign Clements or Samuel.

Well said.

Some of the problems he's had are a result of little playing time (CBs is one of the positions that has a long learning curve), a lack of help at safety (Griffith is a joke), a complete and utter lack of pressure on the QB, and that he has one of the worst coaching staffs of all time teaching him.

Some of the problems are on him and a lot of it is on the coaching staff and scheme. I'd rather see what a good coaching staff can do with him before calling him done.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I am very down on Rolle as a CB, but I have to say, I think he is the best tackling CB I have ever seen...

All more reason to make him a saftey...

Coaching can only do so much.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
Rolle could have a future in a Cover-3 scheme. Agreed that he has been playing well below his draft level though.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
Also how have some of the other first round corners been playing? I have not been that impressed with Fabian Washington but I have yet to see him play this year. Otherwise, Carlos Rogers was taken right after Rolle and Marlin Jackson went late in the first. Have they been better than Rolle?

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Also how have some of the other first round corners been playing? I have not been that impressed with Fabian Washington but I have yet to see him play this year. Otherwise, Carlos Rogers was taken right after Rolle and Marlin Jackson went late in the first. Have they been better than Rolle?

I'd say Rogers has played better, Rogers has played decently well of late IMO. Jackson has been on spot duty most of the time and I think he was even playing hurt last year.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Griffith is a joke),

That "joke" has saved about 36 TD's this season. May be a liability in coverage but the guy makes about 4 tackles a game where he is the last man between the ball carrier and the end zone.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolle could have a future in a Cover-3 scheme. Agreed that he has been playing well below his draft level though.

He excels in the cover nobody scheme we play right now though.

I'm sure a large part of the problem is the lack of a legit FS and with Wilson always up at the LOS, Rolle has to backoff. The problem is, he gets beat over the top too. If you give a huge cushion, at least don't get beat deep too.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Fabian Washington is pretty good, not special mind you but pretty good. I see him a lot, still gambles too much but he's got 3 picks this year.

Very hard to compare they play in totally different schemes, Rolle has 3 times as many tackles as Washington but a lot of that is tacking HIS man after he catches the ball for a first down because of the scheme.

My complaint then was we should have taken Derrick Johnson, now of course the no brainer pick would have been Merriman(steroids and all). But at the time there was no DB on the board that I felt was clearly better than Rolle, I just didn't think Rolle would be a CB for very long.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
It sure doesnt help Rolle or Green or who ever we line up opposite of Rolle that our DE's suck and Dockett cant push a pocket to save his life.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
We could've signed Ty Law.

Why would we do that? He' too slow too cover anybody. I mean if Rolle is too slow then Law shouldn't step foot on the field. I'd be willing to bet that Law can't run any faster than a 4.6 forty but he's fine and Rolle is way too slow :doi: . I've posted a few times about this and still have yet to hear one logical argument over why this is. Maybe it has something to do with experience :shrug: .

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would we do that? He' too slow too cover anybody. I mean if Rolle is too slow then Law shouldn't step foot on the field. I'd be willing to bet that Law can't run any faster than a 4.6 forty but he's fine and Rolle is way too slow :doi: . I've posted a few times about this and still have yet to hear one logical argument over why this is. Maybe it has something to do with experience :shrug: .

I'm guessing it has something to do with Ty Law's 48 career INT's compared to Antrell Rolle's 1 career INT?

Rolle should have 5-6 this year if he could catch the ball, people challenge him all the time and he's consistently dropped the ones that are thrown to him.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Yeah that neck tie tackle is a beautiful thing :thumbup:

I only like Cecil's decapitation tackles more.

Agreed. Two different eras, and two different types of games.

BUT you can compare heart, effort, tenacity, and skill. All of which Lane is much better than Rolle in.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
This is his first year starting and he is being used wrong on top of that. Give the guy a break. A couple of years from now he will be one of the better corners in the game. The same people giving him grief now will be patting him on the back for doing well in the future.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This is his first year starting and he is being used wrong on top of that. Give the guy a break. A couple of years from now he will be one of the better corners in the game. The same people giving him grief now will be patting him on the back for doing well in the future.

I don't know, Snakester. Champ Bailey and DeAngelo Hall were better players by this point in their careers than Antrel has been. I mean, it'd be all right if he made some big plays and gave up some big plays, but he just gets abused every single week without doing anything to show us there's some hope.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I don't know, Snakester. Champ Bailey and DeAngelo Hall were better players by this point in their careers than Antrel has been. I mean, it'd be all right if he made some big plays and gave up some big plays, but he just gets abused every single week without doing anything to show us there's some hope.

It seems like the Cards suck any kind of talent from a player and leave him average to below average at best.....grrrr....:bang: