Antrel Rolle

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I don't know, Snakester. Champ Bailey and DeAngelo Hall were better players by this point in their careers than Antrel has been. I mean, it'd be all right if he made some big plays and gave up some big plays, but he just gets abused every single week without doing anything to show us there's some hope.

Not all players develop at the same speed and with the problems we already have (no pass rush, piss poor coaching staff, No FS help whatsoever, etc), it makes things look even worse

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not all players develop at the same speed and with the problems we already have (no pass rush, piss poor coaching staff, No FS help whatsoever, etc), it makes things look even worse

and some players rise above, regardless of coaching.

most CBs who end up being very good don't take a long time to establish themselves, or at least make plays intheir first year... McAllister, Bailey, Woodson (before injuries), DeAngelo Hall, Will Allen and Nate Clements come to mind.

all the other first rounders in the last decade or so who looked like busts their first years ended up being the same throughout their careers.

I just worry that we really haven't seen ANY plamaking ability on Rolle's part... not to mention his alarming lack of speed.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

most CBs who end up being very good don't take a long time to establish themselves, or at least make plays intheir first year... McAllister, Bailey, Woodson (before injuries), DeAngelo Hall, Will Allen and Nate Clements come to mind.

all the other first rounders in the last decade or so who looked like busts their first years ended up being the same throughout their careers.

I just worry that we really haven't seen ANY plamaking ability on Rolle's part... not to mention his alarming lack of speed.

I don't disagree that there is cause for concern but we have a tendency to throw out the bust label out too soon without looking at the circumstances (ie Thomas Jones and Garrison Hearst ... they were complete garbage after their time with us, eh?).

If you can get a guy like Clements to help out in the secondary, DO IT. The circumstances surrounding this year wouldn't help any CB or any other position so he gets somewhat of a pass but that doesn't mean you avoid getting help in the offseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree that there is cause for concern but we have a tendency to throw out the bust label out too soon without looking at the circumstances (ie Thomas Jones and Garrison Hearst ... they were complete garbage after their time with us, eh?).

If you can get a guy like Clements to help out in the secondary, DO IT. The circumstances surrounding this year wouldn't help any CB or any other position so he gets somewhat of a pass but that doesn't mean you avoid getting help in the offseason.

I can totally agree with that. What's mind boggling to me is that they didn't do what you suggested LAST OFF-SEASON. Going into the season with two second years who hadn't proved a damn thing and an average at best CBin Macklin was either the height of stupidity or incredible cheapness. Most people point to the O-line when complaining about tat 10 mill we didn't spend on anyone but our own crap. I maintained and continue to believe not going after CB and LB help was just aas galling as only signing an O-linemen from a line that was worse than ours.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Rolle would look much better if he was playing press coverage instead of off coverage. The reason he's getting beaten deep isn't because of a lack of speed. He sucks at playing off coverage and we have a terrible defensive backs coach. Not one single coach in the NFL has ever hired Richard Solomon besides Green.

In press coverage Rolle would start off the play on equal footing with the WR. All he has to do is turn and run with his guy which he is capable of doing.

In off coverage he's letting the WR get a 10 yard head of steam and then he has to turn and run with him. He's terrible at turning around and accelerating in time with the WR.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

I agree. Players with the talent show signs of greatness early. There is no doubt IMO Rolle can be a heck of a Saftey. But a CB he is not.

I want to see him returning punts...

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm guessing it has something to do with Ty Law's 48 career INT's compared to Antrell Rolle's 1 career INT?

Rolle should have 5-6 this year if he could catch the ball, people challenge him all the time and he's consistently dropped the ones that are thrown to him.

I'm sure Ty has dropped a few in his time. That still doesn't answer the question as to why Rolle's supposed lack of speed should be the reason to move him and everybody loves Law when Law is alot slower.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score

I disagree. We all saw glimpses of Rolle's playmaking ability in his limited time last year and everyone thought he was going to be a rising star coming into the season. I think he lost a little confidence with his knee being hurt. We don't really know the extent as to how badly his knee was damaged and ,i think, he had to have it cleaned up a bit just prior to training camp. They say it's takes over a year to get all the way back from knee injuries. After taking his lumps this year and an off season to come 100% healthy, i think he'll come back a much better CB next year and be back on his way to living up to top 10 pick status.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rolle fell over on one coverage this afternoon. Also, when he did play press, he got beaten over the top. He was picked on continually in the first half. You'd think eventually the guy would get tired of being picked on and make a play out of pride or something.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rolle fell over on one coverage this afternoon. Also, when he did play press, he got beaten over the top. He was picked on continually in the first half. You'd think eventually the guy would get tired of being picked on and make a play out of pride or something.

I think the pride is there, however the skill is not.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
The longest pass completed on Rolle was 12 yards. There were 4 passes completed on Rolle. Roy Williams has 3 for 12,2,1 yards and Furrey had 1 for 7 yards.Plus, he was good in run support. He had a nice game yesterday.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolle had a good day yesterday.

Now, Eric Green was getting eaten alive.

Macklin PI had a pretty good game too, got beat but made some plays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Ty has dropped a few in his time. That still doesn't answer the question as to why Rolle's supposed lack of speed should be the reason to move him and everybody loves Law when Law is alot slower.

Because Law has proven 48 times in his NFL career that his speed isn't a limiting factor in his play, and Rolle has proven repeatedly that WR's can run right by him.

I'm assuming it's because Law is better, he either has better response time, less wasted steps, better change of direction, something that allowed him to have a great career despite not being blazing fast. With Rolle, so far he doesn't have that and his sheer speed isn't enough.

Look at Pacman, for speed and quickness there's not a lot of CB"s out there that are any better, but he makes so many mistakes. In college he outran his mistakes, in the NFL, he can't.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
Because Law has proven 48 times in his NFL career that his speed isn't a limiting factor in his play, and Rolle has proven repeatedly that WR's can run right by him.

I'm assuming it's because Law is better, he either has better response time, less wasted steps, better change of direction, something that allowed him to have a great career despite not being blazing fast. With Rolle, so far he doesn't have that and his sheer speed isn't enough.

Look at Pacman, for speed and quickness there's not a lot of CB"s out there that are any better, but he makes so many mistakes. In college he outran his mistakes, in the NFL, he can't.

i say give Rolle a chance.Law didn't come in and dominate from game 1. I wonder if he even started his first year.I'm not comparing Rolle to Law. Law has been better.But everyone is using Rolle's supposed lack of speed as the reason for him to move and Law has shown that speed alone is not the determing factor. I say when Rolle get a little more technique, coaching, and reading the play better that he'll be a top notch corner.It seems like everyone wants to write him off after a bad game or two.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
In Ty Law's first 3 years his best numbers were 3 INT's and 8 passes defended. In his 4th year he broke out and had 9 picks and 23 passes defended. In Ty Law's first year, he had 48 tackles,3 INT, and 6 passes defended.This was in 14 games. Rolle has played in 15 games so far and his stats are 76 tackles, 1 INT, and 9 passes defended. To me, it's pretty hard to distinguish one from the other as to had the better start to their career.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Where was Ty Law drafted? Was it 6th overall?

Exactly. Jumping all over Rolle after a bad game or two? He's had FAR more then a bad game or two. Top 10 picks don't deserve 2 seasons to come into their own. We have got very little production out of Rolle and he deserves every bit of criticism.

Last edited:

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
I can't believe the 'Rolle is a hitter' crap. What an absolute skirt wearing sissy. He had chance after chance to just make a good, strong tackle and he matador. He has absolutely no heart when it comes to playing physical. That guy would get abused like a red headed step child at the safety position. Teams would make him play the run and he'd try his little dive at the legs stops a couple of times and he'd be standing on the sidelines watching players with heart to back up their attitude on the field.

Honestly, I don't think he lacks the skills to be a good CB, he lacks the mind and heart to do what it takes to play the position. He could change, he is young, but I really don't see him making the progress at any position with his current attitude.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe the 'Rolle is a hitter' crap. What an absolute skirt wearing sissy. He had chance after chance to just make a good, strong tackle and he matador. He has absolutely no heart when it comes to playing physical. That guy would get abused like a red headed step child at the safety position. Teams would make him play the run and he'd try his little dive at the legs stops a couple of times and he'd be standing on the sidelines watching players with heart to back up their attitude on the field.

Honestly, I don't think he lacks the skills to be a good CB, he lacks the mind and heart to do what it takes to play the position. He could change, he is young, but I really don't see him making the progress at any position with his current attitude.

What are you talking about?? He might be one of the best tackling CB's in the league. Rolle was even playing some bump and run last game for the first time all year (possibly first time as a Card). Rolle missed one tackle that I saw, and it only cost the Cards an extra 3-5 yards.

Rolle had an average-good game.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are you talking about?? He might be one of the best tackling CB's in the league. Rolle was even playing some bump and run last game for the first time all year (possibly first time as a Card). Rolle missed one tackle that I saw, and it only cost the Cards an extra 3-5 yards.

Did you miss Rolle's complete whiff on the QB?
Unimpeded blitz, and he flew right past Kitna.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score

He absolutely stunk it up. Whiffed huge on a couple of receivers allowing YAC. Took a totally lame angle on a blitz. Chose to utilize his favorite dive at the legs tackle instead of actually using his arms on a tackle that allowed for a sizable game.

The list goes on. Rolle specifically was getting boo'd in the area I sat in. It's not just a figment of an imagination, the guy plays soft.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you miss Rolle's complete whiff on the QB?
Unimpeded blitz, and he flew right past Kitna.

Yes, he did miss on the CB blitz. It is one of the few times that he has been asked to blitz though. If Wilson would have missed, it would have been a bigger deal IMO.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
The only area where Rolle has impressed me in is tackling. He's a very good open field tackler and is also good agianst the run. He missed a couple tackles yesterday but evreyone is going to miss a tackle everyonce in a while. His tackling is the least of our worries

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rolle is a good tackler, and for a CB, a fairly big hitter (the two don't always go hand-in-hand).