Anyone recall the near Rodman trade?

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Does anyone recall the deal that would have sent Dennis Rodman to the Suns after the 93-94 season that Jerry Colangelo nixed at the last second? They scrambled and traded Majerle for Hot Rod Williams a few days laster.... I think it was a ballsy move by newbie BC

This was the topic in the office today and most people felt that would have been a championship team had Rodman kept his head on straight and possibly was the last time prior to this season that the Suns were 1 player away from a championship.

In retrospect the Hot Rod deal unravelled the Suns... If the KG deal falls through I hope the Suns don't make another knee jerk like that one

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone recall the deal that would have sent Dennis Rodman to the Suns after the 93-94 season that Jerry Colangelo nixed at the last second? They scrambled and traded Majerle for Hot Rod Williams a few days laster.... I think it was a ballsy move by newbie BC

those were two separate years. It was after 92-3, during the summer of 1993, going INTO the 93-94 season, that we tried to make that deal and then Dumas went druggie on us and screwed the deal. So instead, the Pistons threw Rodman at the Spurs for Sean Elliot. After that, there was never any talk of Spurs-Suns for Rodman.

Then, the Hot Rod-Majerle deal went after the 1995 season.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Every trade is a risk, but often the greatest risk is to get too excited about a guy and overpaying.

The example I give is the trade for Penny. They not only gave him a horrible contract for a guy with multiple injuries, they traded Manning and picks. The stupid part about it was there really was no one else bidding.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
those were two separate years. It was after 92-3, during the summer of 1993, going INTO the 93-94 season, that we tried to make that deal and then Dumas went druggie on us and screwed the deal. So instead, the Pistons threw Rodman at the Spurs for Sean Elliot. After that, there was never any talk of Spurs-Suns for Rodman.

Then, the Hot Rod-Majerle deal went after the 1995 season.

Yeah I think you're right.... So was BC not the GM during the Rodman trade?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think you're right.... So was BC not the GM during the Rodman trade?

not sure - isn't it enough that I know all those ridiculous details, but now you want more! there's only so much I can give man!

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
If we had've stayed healthy that season, we probably could've done a bit more damage.

IIRC, Penny carried the team during the second half of the season while Kidd was out. Then Kidd came back just before the playoffs and we started playing good ball.

I still remember Kidd's hair :shock:

That was also the year, Shawn showed us what he was capable of in his rookie season. And he did it against the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs in a 3-1 upset.

How ironic.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
not sure - isn't it enough that I know all those ridiculous details, but now you want more! there's only so much I can give man!

There is absolutely zip on the internet about trades that didn't go down 15 years go so I'm suprised you remembered the details

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely zip on the internet about trades that didn't go down 15 years go so I'm suprised you remembered the details

you have no idea the amount of useless sports knowledge that just sits in my brain, collecting cobwebs all day. It's seriously like a, what's it called, "photogenic" memory... even with stuff NOT related to the Suns/Cards. i'm like an idiot savant for sports (there ya go folks, served one up t-ball style there - ttake your whacks!)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If we had've stayed healthy that season, we probably could've done a bit more damage.

IIRC, Penny carried the team during the second half of the season while Kidd was out. Then Kidd came back just before the playoffs and we started playing good ball.

I still remember Kidd's hair :shock:

That was also the year, Shawn showed us what he was capable of in his rookie season. And he did it against the Spurs in the first round of the playoffs in a 3-1 upset.

How ironic.

Before Penny and Googs were injured, they looked pretty good.

I opposed both deals when made because I thought Penny was damaged good (I was right) and Googs was not the kind of physical/athletic inside guy I prefer. I was in San Francisco when Googs was first there and he impressed me as a Danny Ferry type (or more recently Dunleavy). Even when healthy, he was not the kind of guy that got in and fought for rebounds or played tough defense.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Googs was a knee jerk move when McDyess screwed us the first time. His role on the T-wolves was nearly the opposite of what the Suns needed. I think the only other PF on the team at the time was Pat Garrity. Danny Manning was pretty much useless at that point

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Don't know about impress, but he certainly got Marcus Camby's blood pumping.

Danny Ferry was probably the biggest cheapshot artist in the game at one point. I guess he had to earn that 10 year contract some how

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Sorry have to temporarily hijack:

Michael: Look, I don’t want your forgiveness, Dad. I want the guy with the one arm and the fake blood. J. Walter Weatherman. How do I get a hold of him?

George, Sr.: Well, he’s, uh, dead. You killed him when you left the door open with the air conditioner on.

Arrested Development is the best show ever in life.

:hijack:

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Amen to that.

Why nobody watched it until it went on DVD will be a question that haunts me for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Wig saleswoman: Oh you again, are you going to actually buy something this time, or are you just curious.

Tobias: Well, I guess you could say im buy-curious!

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Dude, I could quote AD all day.

Lucille: "Get me a Vodka rocks."

Michael: "Mom, it's breakfast."

Lucille: "And a piece of toast..."

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Lindsay: Buster come taste what I cooked!

Buster: What is it

Lindsay: I took the canned ham we had in the pantry and put it in a pot of water! I call it Hot Ham Water. Here try.

Buster: Mmmmm. It's so watery! Yet theres a smack of ham to it!

Lindsay: Ya know I think im really getting the hang of this traditional mother thing.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Tobias: You see Michael, I believe your son may have whats called obsessive-compulsive disorder. Or what I like to call the OC Disorder

Michael: Dont call it that

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
GOB: "I just wanna make you proud Dad."

George. Sr. "It's never too late to start"

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Tobias: Michael, you are quite the cupid. You can stick an arrow in my bottom anytime.

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Last one.

Tobias: "Do you have any idea how often you use the word 'afraid'?"

Michael: "I know I used it in the hot tub"

Tobias: "And I apologised for that. But I thought it was a pool toy."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member