Are the hornets a big threat to the top west teams next year?

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
With their new moves

signing Peja
signing Jackson
trading for Chandler
their two draft picks...Armstrong and Simmons who are both good defensive players who block shots

plus the added improvement of Chris Paul, David West (who could be a 20 and 10 guy next year)

any thoughts?

meth

Rookie
Reaction score
IMHO it is quantity over quality. I don't thik they can even reach 2 round. Anyway they've got something special in Chris Paul. For that guy sky is the limit.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They're dangerous on talent alone....lets see how they do together

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
Sunshooter said:
The main problem of Hornets is ..... the coach!

this comment makes no sense at all considering Scott has been to the finals twice and did an amazing job last year with a team last year that was expected to be in the lottery..they were quite close to the playoffs.

scotsman13

Reaction score
guys the hornets team isnt as good as the kings were with peja why would anyone think they are going be better then that? great they make the playoffs and then what?

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
They had what every team desires, cap room, and just used it on a bunch of ordinary players. They’d better hope that Paul can raise their game a bit, otherwise they look like an ordinary team that will make the playoffs and lose in the first round every year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's why cap room isn't all its cracked up to be. You've got to spend it on someone, so if you get the room, you better know who you want and have reasonable confidence you will be able to get that player.

Cap room is not an end, it is a means to an end. Cap room never scored a point, grabbed a rebound, or even donned a jersey. It sure can's win games.

A team with cap room and without a plan will inevitably over pay for marginal players.

That said. The Hornets have done a pretty good job of building a team given their circumstances.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the NOOCH looks good, which is scary. Recall, they were fighting for the 8th playoff spot, which is always valuable experience for the young guys.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
And they picked up Chandler, Peja, and Jackson. They brought in zero players that know how to win. I love Paul, but unless he’s Jesus I don’t think that he can teach these guys how to win a championship.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
And they picked up Chandler, Peja, and Jackson. They brought in zero players that know how to win. I love Paul, but unless he’s Jesus I don’t think that he can teach these guys how to win a championship.

Right, I dont think they will be hoisting up the O'Brien trophy anytime soon, but I see them taking an (albeit low) playoff spot for the next few seasons.

nowagimp

Reaction score
they wont win the title(NBA or western conference), but could be a nightmare first round opponent. Chris Paul will make those guys even better because thats what he does, makes talent around him better. Aside from the bulls, the hornets may be the most improved team from last year.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
hsandhu said:
The team that should worry is the lakers.

Um OK. PHX will play them the same number of times. Not sure what your point is.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Hornets don't have a bonafide star player who can lead them. Chris Paul is good and all but he isn't an elite player yet.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
The Hornets don't have a bonafide star player who can lead them. Chris Paul is good and all but he isn't an elite player yet.

Prepare, this year, to re-evalutate how good Paul is. Last year, he was one of the top rookie point guards of all time. This year he'll have some scorers to set up.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The team that might even make it to the finals is Chicago.

Imagine trying to put up an inside shot against with Tyrus Thomas and Ben Wallace in front of you.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Imagine trying to put up an inside shot against with Tyrus Thomas and Ben Wallace in front of you.

Yes, Chicago is having the off-season of the decade.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
Yes, Chicago is having the off-season of the decade.

I agree. The sick thing is that they are rumored to be offering Deng, Thomas and other stuff to Minny for KG.

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
abomb said:
I agree. The sick thing is that they are rumored to be offering Deng, Thomas and other stuff to Minny for KG.

They would obviously have to throw in some serious salary, but this deal really seams realistic. MIN has no chance, (when do they cut and run and trade KG?) Deng and Thomas are good assets to start with.

Chicago is really becoming interesting to watch. I can’t believe they moved Chandler. Amazing…

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bada0Bing said:
They would obviously have to throw in some serious salary, but this deal really seams realistic. MIN has no chance, (when do they cut and run and trade KG?) Deng and Thomas are good assets to start with.

Chicago is really becoming interesting to watch. I can’t believe they moved Chandler. Amazing…

And Curry and Crawford last year. I think Paxson for Exec of the Year is already easy money. ha ha

OP
OP
Amare32

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I will be interested how many minutes Thomas will get this season. He was a beast in the tourney but how will he do in the NBA and can he produce right now?

I still think Aldridge would of been a better pick for now as he is a far better post scorer.

nowagimp

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I am imagining that a healthy amare will dunk on both of them. He would go right around Big ben and take tyrus to school. The bulls defense will be very good with those two, but not as good as the pistons was this past year. I'll take Rasheed and Ben in the middle over thomas and Ben anyday. But if the Bulls do get KG and pair him with Big Ben, its gonna be real ugly for the rest of the east. IF that happens the bulls could be favored to win it all if they still have gordon, nocioni, and heinrich.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Bulls take advantage of that talent and run at every opportunity, they will supplant Miami as the top team. If they try and slow it down, they won't be very good.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is such a thing as having too much talent. Portland is a good example of such for probably the last 20 years. Although one could argue about the character of some of their players.

Most NBA Championships are won with a couple of star players and a good supporting cast.

That said, I like what Chicago is doing. I just hope the chemistry is not there for the Suns benefit as well as the rest of the NBA. Charlotte is also doing a nice job of accumulating talent.

Steve Nash is instant chemistry. If he can stay healthy and Stoudemire returns to form (plus Marion's contribution is almost taken for granted), the Suns can beat anyone. The key is if the Suns can advoid major injuries for the season, but especially the playoffs. Stating the obvious, the Suns came very close without Amare and KT, but the clencher was Raja.

The Suns do need to add depth to lessen the minutes particularly for Nash and to help bang inside and play some defense.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05