JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This today from,

Suns scorch Heat for 12th straight win
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
December 13, 2006

Trade winds?
Players who were signed as free agents during the summer will be eligible to be traded on Friday.

Bench players such as Marcus Banks, Jumaine Jones, Eric Piatkowski and Sean Marks, who have seen little playing time, are affected.

The Suns might be in the market for another big player — preferably with a penchant toward defense and shot-blocking *— to add to the team. And with Leandro Barbosa now entrenched at the backup point guard spot, the Suns might have a few more spare pieces to offer in a deal.

Seems to me this is about Banks. Can't see much market for Marks or Pike, maybe Jumaine Jones.

The signing of Rose does make Banks expendable as a backup. If mgmt has come to the conclusion that he is not the pg of the future, its likely time to move on now.

Banks for Hunter? I'd be ticked if we give up a pick.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
lol what's the fascination with Hunter... like he would do anything here.

I doubt we give up on a 25yr old PG after 20 games in a totally new and different system because he is not the next Steve Nash obviously. Banks contract is not bad at all really he signed cheap.

I dont know what big guys are out there that are known for defense and blocking shots? ...

Channing Frye isn't but he seems to have fallen out of favor with Thomas so if we could get him without giving up too much..

Johan Petro is another guy I like OR Brendan Haywood.

Yes when I think about it Brendan Haywood would be good and he is proven.

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Haywood has a lot more value than Banks. The Suns would probably have to include the middle of their three picks in next year's draft (most likely Cleveland's). And actually I don't think the Wizards can afford to give up Haywood at all, at least not without getting another big back, because they are thin up front and Etan Thomas is always hurt.

Remember that Banks's salary is double what it appears because of the luxury tax; as things currently stand, he'll cost the Suns $7.8 million next season. It would be worth a pick just to get rid of him.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol what's the fascination with Hunter... like he would do anything here.

I doubt we give up on a 25yr old PG after 20 games in a totally new and different system because he is not the next Steve Nash obviously. Banks contract is not bad at all really he signed cheap.

No particular fascination, it just seemed logical since he fills the description in the article and Philly seems to be blowing things up. Those other options seem fine too.

No trading picks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Did you forget Philly tried to trade Hunter to New Orleans or whatever but the deal fell through because Hunter can't pass a physical?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Haywood has a lot more value than Banks. The Suns would probably have to include the middle of their three picks in next year's draft (most likely Cleveland's). And actually I don't think the Wizards can afford to give up Haywood at all, at least not without getting another big back, because they are thin up front and Etan Thomas is always hurt.

Remember that Banks's salary is double what it appears because of the luxury tax; as things currently stand, he'll cost the Suns $7.8 million next season. It would be worth a pick just to get rid of him.

Throw in Burke. THAT would make it absolutely irresistable to them. Banks AND a big for Haywood.

;)

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I seriously doubt if any other teams in the league would be interested in improving our team.

Struggling Eastern Conference teams are the only ones that wouldn't mind. No way a deal comes from within the Western Conference IMO.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
By the way, I doubt there is any way we bring back Hunter. I could tell that DA wanted to choke him at least 5 different times during any given game. His contract runs through 2010 and I fear D'Antoni would get locked up for going Sprewell on him.

Haywood makes more sense, and so does Channing.

sunsfn

Reaction score
It would seem to me the suns would trade Banks if they could, but who would take this contract now?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marcus Banks[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,600,000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,888,000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,176,000[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,464,000[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,752,000[/FONT]​

Charlotte wants to trade Ely who makes 3.3 mil, but would they take Banks? Probably not, although they need a backup at the point with Knight being hurt.​

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I actually feel for Marcus Banks right now. I was a big proponent of bringing him in. I though he could fit in, and provide a defensive lift when spelling Nash.

However, he's having a tough time grasping the offense. And, you can tell the pressure is mounting... and his confidence is low.

He's not as bad as he's been looking. And, he hasn't complained a bit. It's a tough situation. How long can the Suns wait for Marcus to find his groove?

But, they might be doing Marcus a favor by trading him. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It would seem to me the suns would trade Banks if they could, but who would take this contract now?

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Marcus Banks[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,600,000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$3,888,000 [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,176,000[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,464,000[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$4,752,000[/FONT]​

Charlotte wants to trade Ely who makes 3.3 mil, but would they take Banks? Probably not, although they need a backup at the point with Knight being hurt.​

That's really not that bad of a contract. Its very marketable, especially for a rebuilding team.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
The Suns can't have expected much more than Banks is providing them. The fans who were saying "Banks will beat out Barbosa at backup PG" this summer were the crazy ones--even beyond the difference in experience, Banks is a $3m player and Leo is a $6m player.

IMO Jerry Brown is guessing wrong here, and Banks is safe for at least the next year and a half. If the Suns want to trade $3m in salary for a big, they'll use James Jones--who's played the best so far (of the 8th-man candidates), but who also has two quality backups in Jumaine and Jalen, while the Suns don't have anybody behind Banks at PG.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually feel for Marcus Banks right now. I was a big proponent of bringing him in. I though he could fit in, and provide a defensive lift when spelling Nash.

However, he's having a tough time grasping the offense. And, you can tell the pressure is mounting... and his confidence is low.

He's not as bad as he's been looking. And, he hasn't complained a bit. It's a tough situation. How long can the Suns wait for Marcus to find his groove?

But, they might be doing Marcus a favor by trading him. Wouldn't be surprised to see it happen.

I think Banks and Leandro have a similar tendency to hurry and not play under control. Their speed is their advantage, but they make it a disadvantage. They need to slow down and use their speed in more controlled bursts.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
It

Knight played last night and put up 11pts/14 assists in 31 minutes.

That's really not that bad of a contract. Its very marketable, especially for a rebuilding team.

4 pts, 1 rbd, 1.4 apg isn't marketable when it starts at $3 million / year.

Especially when it comes with 38% fg and 10% 3pt shooting.

Any move the Suns make to improve their team will cost them at least one of their 1st rounders next year if any team is going to take on such garbage as Banks, Polish Rifle, Jumaine Jones and his torn ligament, or Sean Marks.

Pat Burke is going nowhere. No team wants a 6'11" jackass.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Banks & Jumaine Jones maybe... Ely would be sweet here.

Shazam

Reaction score
Banks needs a chance to play a short stretch in the first half, when it won't cost the team so much if he fizzles. Poor guy probably thinks one mistakes and it's back to the bench.

Kolo

Reaction score
Banks for Eddie Griffin works. Maybe going back to Minnesota would be good for Banks. I think Griffin would be a great fit here, at least on the court.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knight played last night and put up 11pts/14 assists in 31 minutes.

4 pts, 1 rbd, 1.4 apg isn't marketable when it starts at $3 million / year.

Especially when it comes with 38% fg and 10% 3pt shooting.

Any move the Suns make to improve their team will cost them at least one of their 1st rounders next year if any team is going to take on such garbage as Banks, Polish Rifle, Jumaine Jones and his torn ligament, or Sean Marks.

Pat Burke is going nowhere. No team wants a 6'11" jackass.

I hardly think gms are going to judge him by the stats he puts up in limited minutes on the Suns team. They will remember how he performed last year in minny, too.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
I hardly think gms are going to judge him by the stats he puts up in limited minutes on the Suns team. They will remember how he performed last year in minny, too.

They may judge him for the reason why his minutes are limited though.

His performance in Minny is questionable. He did well on a team that threw in the towel in its final 30 games or so.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Banks for Eddie Griffin works. Maybe going back to Minnesota would be good for Banks. I think Griffin would be a great fit here, at least on the court.

I like the idea in theory, but Griffin is a headcase and shoots as well as James Jones. His defense, rebounding and shot blocking are very good, though....

I'd much rather swing a deal for Ely....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05