Are the Suns considering dealing Banks?

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK, here's a wild idea for a Banks trade. I do believe Philly would go for it, although I'm not sure we would want to.

Banks and KT for Dalembert and Rodney Carney.

The #s work, and we know that Carney was a player the Suns really coveted in last summer's draft. Philly would hate to give him up, but would eagerly do so to unload Dalembert's contract.

Here is the kicker for us. The agreement would be that Philly immediately puts KT on waivers. After he clears, we sign KT back for the vet minimum.

Carney has Marion-style athleticism (tested better than Shawn did in his rookie workout). Salary -wise it could make Shawn--(clears throat)--expendable.

No one will pick KT up off of waivers. The only real question is whether we want to take on Dalembert's deal. I'm not sure I want it.

Last edited:

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Suns may look to move disappointing Banks
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
December 16, 2006
With the Dec. 15 deadline for trading players with new contracts now passed, the Suns may be gauging outside interest in guard Marcus Banks with an eye toward unburdening themselves of the five-year, $21 million contract he signed this summer.

Banks continues to struggle coming off the bench and his playing time has shriveled away. He played a total of 24 minutes on the just-completed five-game road trip as coach Mike D’Antoni has gone more exclusively with an eightman rotation — with Leandro Barbosa backing up Steve Nash at the point.

Banks hasn’t played more than 10 minutes since playing 15 in Portland on Nov. 26.

The Suns could be in the market for another big man off the bench who brings a shot-blocking presence in the middle, and will be watching trades such as the pending Allen Iverson deal to look for opportunities.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=80699

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Here is the kicker for us. The agreement would be that Philly immediately puts KT on waivers. After he clears, we sign KT back for the vet minimum.

No thank you. The Suns aren't in a position to risk a sanction for circumventing CBA rules.

The only real question is whether we want to take on Dalembert's deal. I'm not sure I want it.

I'm sure I don't want it. It runs until 2011 and he'll never be worth the money he's making.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

No thank you. The Suns aren't in a position to risk a sanction for circumventing CBA rules.

The only real question is whether we want to take on Dalembert's deal. I'm not sure I want it.

I'm sure I don't want it. It runs until 2011 and he'll never be worth the money he's making.

It seems to me that this has been done fairly regularaly recently. As long as the player clears waivers, I thought he was fair game to return. I might be wrong, of course.

Of course Dalemberts deal is the issue. It seems that most teams have done much better by staying away from these contracts. Does a player like Dalembert give us enough more umph to get over the hump.

Dunno.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
OK, here's a wild idea for a Banks trade. I do believe Philly would go for it, although I'm not sure we would want to.

Banks and KT for Dalembert and Rodney Carney.

The #s work, and we know that Carney was a player the Suns really coveted in last summer's draft. Philly would hate to give him up, but would eagerly do so to unload Dalembert's contract.

Carney has Marion-style athleticism (tested better than Shawn did in his rookie workout). Salary -wise it could make Shawn--(clears throat)--expendable.

No one will pick KT up off of waivers. The only real question is whether we want to take on Dalembert's deal. I'm not sure I want it.

That's a horrible trade for the Sixers. They would want at least a couple 1st rounders to get a deal like that done. Even if we threw in a couple picks, I would be seriously tempted to do it.

The scenario works though according to realgm tradechecker. Id#3530404

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
That's a horrible trade for the Sixers. They would want at least a couple 1st rounders to get a deal like that done. Even if we threw in a couple picks, I would be seriously tempted to do it.

Carney represents too much of their fture I'd bet. I'd go for Dalembert and Willie Green. Though I'm not sure about Dalembert...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Dalembert is way overpaid, no thx.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dalembert is way overpaid, no thx.

Its one of the ironies of today's NBA. You can be a pretty good player, but virtually ruin your career by getting paid too much.

BTW Red, it is a horrible trader for the Sixers, unless you consider how badly they want to get rid of Dalemberts contract. They want to clear cap space so they can sign some FA (to an equally bad contract most likely).

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm all for unloading Banks in a trade. If nothing else maybe the Suns could send him to a team under the CAP for a pick of some sorts. I would not want to send Banks to Atlanta just in case he might help their team. I want a good pick. :)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I doubt Marcus "Blanks" would help the Hawks improve their record. It might help our pick to send him there.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Anyone think Banks trade talks will heat up now that the AI stuff is settling down?

Just some ideas.

1. An Orlando fan suggested Banks (and Pike?) for Darko. Mid-Floridians seem to think they are weak and pg, and Darko is going to ask way too much this summer. So they want to deal him. Can't say the team is thinking the same way. I would certainly be interested in Darko, especially with contract matching rights (if we don't keep him, we can try to work sign and trades).

2. If that is a possibility, then Dan Gadzuric must be one too. He's a big man who can run, block a few, and rebound. Again, Banks and Pike would work. This one was suggested on another board by a Bucks fan. Can't see any way the Bucks would do this.

3. There there is Hunter again. But why would Philly want Banks after getting Dre?

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I haven't seen much of darko but how much of a jumpshot does he have? I guess even if he doesn't have much of a jumper he is still a great option for a salary dump if orlando really is up to it.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
1. An Orlando fan suggested Banks (and Pike?) for Darko. Mid-Floridians seem to think they are weak and pg, and Darko is going to ask way too much this summer. So they want to deal him. Can't say the team is thinking the same way. I would certainly be interested in Darko, especially with contract matching rights (if we don't keep him, we can try to work sign and trades).

I'm somewhat surprised by that. Orlando, in my mind, is one of the few teams with a glutton of PGs who are mostly pretty good in Nelson, Arroyo and Diener. Granted Diener hasn't proven much at this level but Arroyo and Nelson I would both consider above average PGs. If the Magic organization do indeed feel the same way I'd be ecstatic if we could get either Arroyo or Diener for Banks. More of a pipe dream I would guess but that would give us one hell of a backcourt rotation.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Orlando wouldn't trade Darko for that and the Suns dont need Darko who demands a 60M$ contract!

I'd do this in a heartbeat. It's basically a salary dump. They probably made a mistake with Banks, and would simply dump Darko at the end of the year. (Unless he tears it up.)

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd do this in a heartbeat. It's basically a salary dump. They probably made a mistake with Banks, and would simply dump Darko at the end of the year. (Unless he tears it up.)

Would you call that "doing a Zarko with Darko."

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Suns Trade:

Banks
Pike
1 of Burke, Jumaine Jones or Marks

Suns Receive:
Darko
Denier

Picks could sweeten the deal if needed, but Orlando only does this deal if they start losing or if their afraid Darko will ask for too much money. Trade numbers work according to RealGM.

Marcus Banks & James Jones for Darko & Denier also works salary-wise (Burke or Marks can be added in as well and the Salaries still work).

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Suns Trade:

Banks
Pike
1 of Burke, Jumaine Jones or Marks

Suns Receive:
Darko
Denier

Picks could sweeten the deal if needed, but Orlando only does this deal if they start losing or if their afraid Darko will ask for too much money. Trade numbers work according to RealGM.

Is there any other reasons Orlando would do this trade other than just because Darko will ask for too much money? I would think they'd trade Diener because they don't need a good 3rd point guard, why would they want Banks? And Pike doesn't have negative trade value, but he doesn't have positive trade value either--he has no value in any trade, not as a player and not as a salary.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I added a 2nd option to the trade of JR instead of Pike, but I agree that if I'm Orlando (with the best record in the East) then there's no way I'm doing this trade. They can probably get better value in a sign & trade for Darko next summer than Banks & James Jones & Filler (Burke, Marks, Jumaine). Although, Banks & Jones are 2 younger players signed to reasonable contracts for a couple of years and draft picks can always be included.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
And Pike doesn't have negative trade value, but he doesn't have positive trade value either--he has no value in any trade, not as a player and not as a salary.

As a vet I read long ago that most of his salary is paid for by the league. Saves them some money I guess?

asudevil83

Reaction score
I'm somewhat surprised by that. Orlando, in my mind, is one of the few teams with a glutton of PGs who are mostly pretty good in Nelson, Arroyo and Diener. Granted Diener hasn't proven much at this level but Arroyo and Nelson I would both consider above average PGs. If the Magic organization do indeed feel the same way I'd be ecstatic if we could get either Arroyo or Diener for Banks. More of a pipe dream I would guess but that would give us one hell of a backcourt rotation.

you also forgot about Dooling. he's another PG on the roster behind Arroyo/Nelson. so, they've got 4 PG's, i dont think they need another crappy one.

fordronken

Reaction score
I'd possibly consider something like Banks and Pike for Stromile Swift. It sounds like the Grizz ownership is starting to get figured out. Swift only has two years left on his deal and feels like a guy who could suddenly look like an NBA player again on this team.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Swift has great athleticism, shot blocking ability and can crash the offensive glass and could really thrive playing backup PF & C on our team, but he's never really been able to get rid of the "lazy, headcase" labels on him. D'Antoni wants smart players who understand the game out there on the floor, which is why he always had problems with Steven Hunter. Still, Swift would be another great weapon for alley-oops.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Did anyone catch the comment last night that D'Antoni said that he's gonna try to get Banks a lot more looks over the next couple weeks? Does anyone have the full context of that statement? It could mean he wants to gear him up for a playoff run or it could mean that he's showcasing him for trade. My money is on the latter, but I'm still curious....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05