Are the Suns considering dealing Banks?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did anyone catch the comment last night that D'Antoni said that he's gonna try to get Banks a lot more looks over the next couple weeks? Does anyone have the full context of that statement? It could mean he wants to gear him up for a playoff run or it could mean that he's showcasing him for trade. My money is on the latter, but I'm still curious....

Yeah, I caught Leander mentioning it. I thought that he brought in Banks just to play against Gordon. He did an ok job.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I don't remember the exact quote, but he did say that D'Antoni was planning to give him some more time or more looks over the next couple of weeks specifically. I am wondering about the purpose of the time frame....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the exact quote, but he did say that D'Antoni was planning to give him some more time or more looks over the next couple of weeks specifically. I am wondering about the purpose of the time frame....

I don't know if he is setting him up for a trade, or is just trying to keep Nash's minutes down.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
This trade all but eliminates the Banks-Ely deal most of us have hoped for:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2717921

Nets may have found home for McInnis in Charlotte

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

New Jersey and Charlotte were close Tuesday night to finalizing a trade that would send guard Jeff McInnis from the Nets to the Bobcats for Bernard Robinson, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

McInnis
The deal, which sources said had a strong chance of being finalized Wednesday, would solve one problem for the underperforming Nets -- getting them under the luxury tax threshold -- while still leaving them with a gaping hole in the middle following the season ending knee injury to center Nenad Krstic.
The Bobcats and Nets had discussed a trade that would have sent power forward Melvin Ely to New Jersey.

Instead, the Nets are willing to take back Robinson, a third-year swingman, because of the reduction it would bring to their nearly $67 million payroll. Under NBA rules, the players' salaries do not need to match because the Bobcats are well below the salary cap.

McInnis, making $3.6 million, was told before training camp to stay away from the team while the Nets tried to trade him. He lives in Charlotte, and the Bobcats became willing to take a chance on him after losing Brevin Knight for at least a month after surgery last week. The nine-year veteran McInnis, who averaged 5.3 points and 1.9 assists last season before having a falling out with coach Lawrence Frank, would be joining his seventh NBA team.

It doesn't rule out the chance for the Suns to eventually acquire Ely by some other means, but Banks will now not likely end up in CHA....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd be happy to get rid of Banks, but Ely really would not be an impact player for the Suns. He's a substandard defender and doesn't block shots.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
ESPN is now saying the McInnis-Ely deal is almost dead...

Jan 3 - The trade talks with Charlotte involving Melvin Ely and Jeff McInnis are all but dead: While the Bobs would do the deal for a second-round pick, the Nets' overarching concern is to avoid the luxury tax, and this deal wouldn't do it for them.

They are $1.7 million over the threshold. But according to ESPN, the Nets and Bobcats were discussing a deal involving McInnis and swingman Bernard Robinson, which would get them below the $65.4 million tax threshold. -- Newark Star-Ledger

Based on what was passed on from a New Jersey Nets source, you can pretty much forget about a Melvin Ely-Jeff McInnis swap.

Despite Ely's obvious ability to score in the post, the Nets don't like his defense or his rebounding (heard that before?). More importantly, the Nets' over-arching issue is avoiding the luxury tax. -- Charlotte Observer

New Jersey saves close to $5 million in luxury tax by dealing McInnis, who was told in April to stay away from the team. He makes $3.6 million compared to Robinson's $1 million salary. The trade works financially because Charlotte is under the cap. -- Bergen Record

Who cares about Ely? I want Brevin Knight.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN is now saying the McInnis-Ely deal is almost dead...

Jan 3 - The trade talks with Charlotte involving Melvin Ely and Jeff McInnis are all but dead: While the Bobs would do the deal for a second-round pick, the Nets' overarching concern is to avoid the luxury tax, and this deal wouldn't do it for them.

They are $1.7 million over the threshold. But according to ESPN, the Nets and Bobcats were discussing a deal involving McInnis and swingman Bernard Robinson, which would get them below the $65.4 million tax threshold. -- Newark Star-Ledger

Based on what was passed on from a New Jersey Nets source, you can pretty much forget about a Melvin Ely-Jeff McInnis swap.

Despite Ely's obvious ability to score in the post, the Nets don't like his defense or his rebounding (heard that before?). More importantly, the Nets' over-arching issue is avoiding the luxury tax. -- Charlotte Observer

New Jersey saves close to $5 million in luxury tax by dealing McInnis, who was told in April to stay away from the team. He makes $3.6 million compared to Robinson's $1 million salary. The trade works financially because Charlotte is under the cap. -- Bergen Record

Who cares about Ely? I want Brevin Knight.

You're kidding right? We had Knight, and he sucked as hard as Banks is now.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Nets trade McInnis to Charlotte for Robinson

Nets trade McInnis to Charlotte for RobinsonJanuary 3, 2007

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Nets traded veteran guard Jeff McInnis to the Charlotte Bobcats on Wednesday for swingman Bernard Robinson.
McInnis, who spent this season on the inactive list, averaged 5.3 points and 1.9 assists in 28 games last season, his only year in New Jersey. McInnis, who missed the final 48 games with an injury to his left knee, was sent to the Bobcats for undisclosed cash considerations. Robinson was a second-round pick in the 2004 draft. He averaged 4.8 points and almost 3.0 rebounds in 118 career games with Charlotte. He appeared in 21 games this season, averaging 2.4 points and 2.0 rebounds. "Bernard can play both guard and forward, is a good defender and will add athleticism and depth off our bench," Nets president Rod Thorn said.

From Yahoo, it's a done deal.

I would prefer Knight as well. Regardless of how Knight was when he was with the Suns, there is no denying he has been among the top assist and steals NBA PGs in recent years.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
You're kidding right? We had Knight, and he sucked as hard as Banks is now.

Yeah he sucked when he was here, but he has been an assist machine in Charlotte. He's getting paid $4.4 million this year and has a team option for $4.2 million next year. He's on the outs in Charlotte and they are willing to move him. The last 3 years he's averaged 9, 8.8, and 7.3 assists per game. He would be a viable option for us as a backup and we wouldn't be tied to him long term.

I just saw he's got an abdominal tear and will be out for the next few weeks, but I think he would contribute more to the Suns than Ely ever would.

cly2tw

Reaction score
As our way towards the first championship likely has to go through Dallas and maybe Denver too, we should keep Banks who should be our most effective defender against Terry, Harris, and AI.

Nash

Reaction score
As our way towards the first championship likely has to go through Dallas and maybe Denver too, we should keep Banks who should be our most effective defender against Terry, Harris, and AI.

and Tony Parker?

I didnt watch the game last night. Some of you say Banks was OK on Gordon last night, while some are raving about him. I'd like to know which is closer to the truth.

I'm beginning to wonder why Raja is a highly rated defender. We can use the excuse that Gil/Bryan/Wade can light up anyone but haven't the likes of Terry, Gordon and Rip torched Raja this year? I read Marion almost shut Rip down once he took over Raja's guarding duty.
opinion of those who've been watching all the games pl.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
There was a trade brought up on ESPN boards about a Banks and JR to Indy for Tinsley. I thought would be a good deal especially with the Numbers Tinsley is putting up in 16 minutes a game. I also thought of a 3 way that would work as well.

Tinsley & Suns 2nd round pick to Charlotte

Banks and JR to Indy

Knight and Ely to Phoenix

Charlotte gets another good point gaurd to pair with McGinnis and they get rid of two players that have issues with management.

Indy gets a PG better suited for that system and a return player that they didnt want to lose in the first place in JR.

Phoenix gets a better PG to play behinf Nash and a big that would flourish in our system.

cly2tw

Reaction score
No way we want to take that monstrous contract of Tinsley's.

For center though, could we somehow get Haywood from the Wizards instead of Ely?

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was listening to Gambo and Ash today and heard something interesting. Gambo said that Banks will be gone by the deadline. He repeated it and said it like it was a fact. Anyone else hear this?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was listening to Gambo and Ash today and heard something interesting. Gambo said that Banks will be gone by the deadline. He repeated it and said it like it was a fact. Anyone else hear this?

I head that on the station too. That means the Suns have given up on him and don't want that kind of contract for player that can't crack the lineup. I have a feeling that with Junior's recent play and with LB being so effective at point, that might have sealed it for MB.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gambo ran with an unfounded rumor and stated it repeatedly as fact? No way!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I heard it but Gambo claims infalibility more often than the pope.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If Banks is dealt, its more likely that Rose will stay. Seems to me that if Banks is dealt, it will be more of a salary dump than anything.

Look for him to go to a team with a TE.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Kerwin (Hong Kong): Where do you think Detroit will send Nazr Mohammed to and who will they get in return? Please not Marko Jaric!

You must be registered for see images attach
Chris Sheridan: (12:47 PM ET ) Just a guess, but Phoenix for Marcus Banks seems to make some sense for both of them. I asked Nazr last week if he was buying or renting in Michigan, and he said not only had he bought, he certainly didn't want to have to sell in the current real estate market.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Gambo ran with an unfounded rumor and stated it repeatedly as fact? No way!

Gambo is right 90% of the time when it comes to Suns news. He broke the JJ trade, the Banks signing, the Diaw contract, the JR signing 2 weeks before it even happened, etc.

I may not like him, but he knows what he's talking about.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Kerwin (Hong Kong): Where do you think Detroit will send Nazr Mohammed to and who will they get in return? Please not Marko Jaric!

Chris Sheridan: (12:47 PM ET ) Just a guess, but Phoenix for Marcus Banks seems to make some sense for both of them. I asked Nazr last week if he was buying or renting in Michigan, and he said not only had he bought, he certainly didn't want to have to sell in the current real estate market.

Wow! That'd be some good news.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Please be true, please be true....

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gambo is right 90% of the time when it comes to Suns news. He broke the JJ trade, the Banks signing, the Diaw contract, the JR signing 2 weeks before it even happened, etc.

I don't listen to him, but he most certainly has not been right with anywhere near that frequency on the things that have then been posted on this board. For instance, he also said that Bryant and McGrady were coming. So that's twice being incorrect, which would mean he'd have to be right 18 times to get to 90%.

I think there's a bit of selective memory going on.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I don't listen to him, but he most certainly has not been right with anywhere near that frequency on the things that have then been posted on this board. For instance, he also said that Bryant and McGrady were coming. So that's twice being incorrect, which would mean he'd have to be right 18 times to get to 90%.

He never said it was a certainty that they were coming. He said that it would be possible and it made for an interesting discussion for the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05