Are the Suns considering dealing Banks?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at Hawksquake yesterday and they were really coveting a trade... Speedy Claxton for Marcus Banks. I'm not sure of the contractual situation (Claxton probably has the bigger contract) but if the Suns were still wanting to go the backup PG route, he might be an option that could be made to work.

I liked Claxton at one time in his career, however, I don't have a clue with how he is doing now (other than Hawks fans want to move him).

Personally, I think Barbosa and Diaw can man the PG position. I would really like a player like Ely on the Suns team.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I looked at Hawksquake yesterday and they were really coveting a trade... Speedy Claxton for Marcus Banks. I'm not sure of the contractual situation (Claxton probably has the bigger contract) but if the Suns were still wanting to go the backup PG route, he might be an option that could be made to work.

I liked Claxton at one time in his career, however, I don't have a clue with how he is doing now (other than Hawks fans want to move him).

Personally, I think Barbosa and Diaw can man the PG position. I would really like a player like Ely on the Suns team.

I just took a look and wow have his numbers dropped this year in atlanta. He is on a 6+ contract while banks is on 4+ so there is really no way we could win in that one.

He is a horrible 3 point shooter and that always kills us, looks like he has turnover problems too. No wonder atlanta wants to trade with us, he is basically a more expensive Banks.

*edit: If he was on an expiring contract that would be great but he, like banks, is on a brand new contract.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
Nobody is gonna take on Banks contract while giving us some quality players in return. To get a big, the only viable route seems a combination of James/Burke/Pike plus pick(s) for the likes of Haywood, Ely, Songaila, depending on other team's needs and problems.

I personally would see James/Burke/Pike plus a low 1st-rounder or two 2nds for Haywood and Mason. Washington still have Songaila and Blatche as big backup and Etan Thomas is always fighting with Haywood for bad chemistry there. James would be fitting their run-n-gun way of play with really solid defense. With playing time, his shots will come back, no doubt.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would throw it out there, but Gerry McNamara has returned to the U.S. and assigned to the NBADL. I wonder if he would be worth a look at backup PG. I realize the Suns would have to move a player because of the LT.

I have never seen him play.

Nash

Reaction score
Being in the Big East, I've seen Gerry McNamara play. a lot. He was a truly great college level player with unbelievable range on his shot. He also had the ability to take over a game and swing it in his team's favor. And with his shooting ability, it was never too late in the game for him to take over.

All that said, I don't know if he will be good on the Suns.
1. He is a shoot first point guard.
2. He was never a good athlete. He got by at the college level but I seriously doubt if he can excel in the NBA. The rap was same on Marcus Williams too (and I've watched him at the college level) but I never felt he wasn't good enough for the NBA. But in Mac's case, I'm not so sure.

Plus, I don't think GMc did well enough in the summer league to convince scouts of his skills.

CaliSunsFan

Reaction score
Backups are for depth. If one of our guards goes down like they did in playoffs last year, we will need banks.

asudevil83

Reaction score
teams in need of a PG:

Lakers
Sixers (depending on what they get for Iverson)
Bucks
Cavs
Pistons

there really arent too many options as far as getting a replacement PG though. i would not want to see Banks just pawned off for some bad contract. but there are a couple teams with some extra pieces that could help the suns out:

Orlando (Nelson/Arroyo/Diener). i see Diener as the odd man out still.
Blazers (Jack/Rodriquez/Dikau). Dikau is the odd man out there
Boston (Telfair/Rondo/West)

Funny how the two teams we pawned off first rounders to now have a decent quality glut of the position player we need. oh the irony.

i think the only way we get a decent player for Banks is through a 3 team trade with eastern conference teams.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Dude, the Lakers have Parker, Vujacic and Farmar. I don't think they are in the market for a PG considering that those 3 shoot better than Banks....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Backups are for depth. If one of our guards goes down like they did in playoffs last year, we will need banks.

I thought Banks was supposed to be the backup PG for Nash. Right now, Barbosa is having to play the backup PG and SG positions. Banks appears relegated to the bench because he cannot run the PG position effectively for the Suns. If Banks cannot play backup PG for the Suns his value for his 21 million dollar contract is very questionable.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Banks & Jumaine Jones maybe... Ely would be sweet here.

I don't think you can trade Ju. Jones.

When a descent vet signs with your club for the min. you don't trade him, unless he wants to be traded.

If the Suns are unhappy with Jones or he is unhappy with his role the respectful and sensible thing to do is release him.

It seems like I might remember a vet min. player getting traded and then retiring but that's a different situation.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
When a descent vet signs with your club for the min. you don't trade him, unless he wants to be traded.

I agree in general, but I'm not sure Jones qualifies in this case. He's only 27 and really hasn't ever been much good. He came to the Suns partly because of the whole "chase a championship" thing, but also because he didn't have much in the way of other offers.

If the Suns were to release him, there's a decent chance that no one would pick him up, and that could be the end of his NBA career. In his case, he might be better off traded, because then at least his new team would have something invested in him and might be more willing to give him a look.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
I agree in general, but I'm not sure Jones qualifies in this case. He's only 27 and really hasn't ever been much good. He came to the Suns partly because of the whole "chase a championship" thing, but also because he didn't have much in the way of other offers.

If the Suns were to release him, there's a decent chance that no one would pick him up, and that could be the end of his NBA career. In his case, he might be better off traded, because then at least his new team would have something invested in him and might be more willing to give him a look.

Jones had an offer in Europe for around 3mil a year IIRC. That actually turns out being more because their contract values are after taxes when they are reported.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jones had an offer in Europe for around 3mil a year IIRC. That actually turns out being more because their contract values are after taxes when they are reported.

Hmm, well, sucks to be him. I assume he's wishing now that he had taken the Europe offer.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
ESPN Insider says Banks the #2 commodity but there's no way the SUns move KT unless they get something spectacular in return

2. Marcus Banks, Suns.
We never quite understood why a team with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa needed a third wheel in the backcourt. The Suns might not be interested in Iverson, but they do have the kind of package Philly wants -- a young player, Banks, an '08 expiring contract Kurt Thomas, and a No. 1 draft pick or two (the Suns have three: their own, Atlanta's and Cleveland's).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ESPN Insider says Banks the #2 commodity but there's no way the SUns move KT unless they get something spectacular in return

2. Marcus Banks, Suns.
We never quite understood why a team with Steve Nash and Leandro Barbosa needed a third wheel in the backcourt. The Suns might not be interested in Iverson, but they do have the kind of package Philly wants -- a young player, Banks, an '08 expiring contract Kurt Thomas, and a No. 1 draft pick or two (the Suns have three: their own, Atlanta's and Cleveland's).

OMG, that list is just awful.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Why couldn't the suns be the third team in an Iverson deal where we sent Banks and Cleveland's pick to Philly and pick up a big man from who ever gets Iverson?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Why couldn't the suns be the third team in an Iverson deal where we sent Banks and Cleveland's pick to Philly and pick up a big man from who ever gets Iverson?

Sounds good to me. It seems like the Iverson situation is a good opportunity for the Suns to cash in one of their first round picks, dump Banks, or both.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Being in the Big East, I've seen Gerry McNamara play. a lot. He was a truly great college level player with unbelievable range on his shot. He also had the ability to take over a game and swing it in his team's favor. And with his shooting ability, it was never too late in the game for him to take over.

I agree entirely... McNamara can shoot AND pass. The only thing he lacks is the ability to finish down low. And his lack of athleticism is balanced by his oversized heart and determination to win. Lets not forget, this guy can drain deep threes... Id say more than have his threes were extremely contested, and/or from NBA range.

He really has great vision on the court. HE AVERAGED 6 ASSISTS with 2 big men that couldnt catch or finish down low. He knows how to play with NBA talent, Carmelo and Hakim, and he has played against many of the greats.

I could see him being like an Eddie House type of player with more passing skills, more heart, less drama, but less athleticism.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Speaking of which, who better to mentor McNamara than another undersized, less athletic player who is good at shooting and passing than Steve Nash. The Suns would not regret this move at all. 90% FT, 6 APG, 100 3s in 4 straigth seasons. GET IT DONE>

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
How do you define athlete BJesus? Nash is never going to leap tall buildings in a single bound. But he appears to be one of those guys who can beat you in anything....ping pong, horseshoes, tennis, golf etc....as long as he had a little time to figure it out. Probably played shortstop and, of course we know of his soccer experience. Everybody has known somebody like that. Frankly, I feel Nash succeeds BECAUSE he is such a good athlete. Much like Maravich, West, and the great Curly Neal.

Thats right.... Curly Neal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Y1y6QOE6M

PS. Notice any similarities in ball movement?

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
McNamara is not NBA caliber. He is a low percentage volume shooter who has never proven to be able to really run an offense.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

How can DAntoni possibly keep up with coaching the team and negotiating midseason deals all at the same time. He either has to delegate decision-making ability to an assistant GM, or delegate coaching responsibilities.

I assume its the former. So its really Griffin that is making the phone calls. BC would have been all over this type of opportunity, but I'm not sure this mgmt team has the creativity to get it done. I could be wrong, but they are definitely unproven.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
How do you define athlete BJesus? Nash is never going to leap tall buildings in a single bound. But he appears to be one of those guys who can beat you in anything....ping pong, horseshoes, tennis, golf etc....as long as he had a little time to figure it out. Probably played shortstop and, of course we know of his soccer experience. Everybody has known somebody like that. Frankly, I feel Nash succeeds BECAUSE he is such a good athlete. Much like Maravich, West, and the great Curly Neal.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Y1y6QOE6M

PS. Notice any similarities in ball movement?

Good point. I think skills (dribbling, passing, shooting, etc.) have just as much importance, if not more, than physical ability (speed, agility, jumping, etc) in defining what a modern-day athelete is.

OP
OP
JCSunsfan

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just for a idea of Banks marketability. In this 650 page Iverson trade thread on the Philly board at RealGM, posters are talking about obtaining Banks. If salaries would work, they would trade Dalembert or Hunter for Banks straight up.

In the case of Dalembert, its about unloading his contract. As a player, he would be great to have here, but his deal is prohibitive. Hunter's deal would be more workable, but he would not probably be as serviceable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05