Article and JJ Question

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
daves said:
This is a myth which for some reason seems to be widely held.

Fact: The Cardinals average time of possession in 2004 was 30:53, which was 10th best in the league. In games McCown played, it was slightly lower at 30:30, which would've ranked 11th. (Source: http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-TOTAL/2004/regular?sort_col_1=4&_1:col_1=15, etc.)

These numbers do not include TOP in overtime, so anything over 30:00 is better than average.

A while back, someone made a similar claim with regard to the Cardinals' second game vs. San Francisco last year. I've already debunked the "Josh-led offense can't keep the defense off the field" myth with regard to that particular game here: http://arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showpost.php?p=762139&postcount=103

Just keepin' it real....

...dave

Interesting numbers. Was our high TOP because we threw so many of those little 7 yard passes? Because we sure didn't move the offense up the field very much despite having the ball so long. Our yardage gained was TERRIBLE, especially if we really had the ball more than 20 other teams in the league.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
about the only worse trade in recent history might be Washington giving up this years #1 pick in the Portis trade. They got a great player in Portis but can you imagine how dumb it's going to look if they win 4-5 games and then Denver gets to pick top 5 with their pick?

This is a little tangential, but Washington gave up their '06 first-rounder in order to get the Broncs' '05 first rounder, which is where they took the QB from Auburn.

I'm pretty sure that the Bailey-Portis trade was player-for-player. It had nothing to do with the '05-'06 trade (which was ridiculous).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
This is a little tangential, but Washington gave up their '06 first-rounder in order to get the Broncs' '05 first rounder, which is where they took the QB from Auburn.

I'm pretty sure that the Bailey-Portis trade was player-for-player. It had nothing to do with the '05-'06 trade (which was ridiculous).

you are correct, they used the pick for Campbell and Denver got a 05 3rd rounder and an 06 first and 4th rounder. Still think it's a bad trade for Washington but it has nothing to do with Portis.

Now if Washington wins this year the pick is less valuable and the trade not so bad.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
you are correct, they used the pick for Campbell and Denver got a 05 3rd rounder and an 06 first and 4th rounder. Still think it's a bad trade for Washington but it has nothing to do with Portis.

Now if Washington wins this year the pick is less valuable and the trade not so bad.

Oh, it was a stupid trade. I just wanted it to be clear that Clinton wasn't involved...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Oh, it was a stupid trade. I just wanted it to be clear that Clinton wasn't involved...

hey keep politics out of this. :D

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
hey keep politics out of this. :D
:p

Also: True or False: Sean Taylor is currently the most underrated player in the National Football League?

I watched most of the Cowboys-Skins game, and don't remember hearing LeVar Arrington's name once. Is he still hurt? What happened to that guy?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:p

Also: True or False: Sean Taylor is currently the most underrated player in the National Football League?

I watched most of the Cowboys-Skins game, and don't remember hearing LeVar Arrington's name once. Is he still hurt? What happened to that guy?

That hit when Taylor knocked the guys head off (OK helmet) was insane, to be honest I thought it was a catch and a fumble but he hit him so hard I think the refs just assumed it wasn't a catch. It was under 2 minutes so they couldn't challenge the call.

ABC kept harping on him biting on the fleaflicker but I thought he played really well beyond that, he looks smaller this year I think he's lighter and a bit quicker.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That hit when Taylor knocked the guys head off (OK helmet) was insane, to be honest I thought it was a catch and a fumble but he hit him so hard I think the refs just assumed it wasn't a catch. It was under 2 minutes so they couldn't challenge the call.

ABC kept harping on him biting on the fleaflicker but I thought he played really well beyond that, he looks smaller this year I think he's lighter and a bit quicker.

PFW had a quote (I think it was "Whispers," but I could be wrong) from Gregg Williams saying that Taylor was the single greatest athlete he'd ever had the opportunity to coach. This was a guy that coached Bruce Smith, right? He said that Taylor somehow seemed even faster this season than last, but that might just be because he's figuring it out and putting the pro game together.

But somehow when you talk about safeties it's Brian Dawkins this, Roy Williams that. Maybe it's because he's a free safety, but good lord, what does a kid have to do to get some national love?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
PFW had a quote (I think it was "Whispers," but I could be wrong) from Gregg Williams saying that Taylor was the single greatest athlete he'd ever had the opportunity to coach. This was a guy that coached Bruce Smith, right? He said that Taylor somehow seemed even faster this season than last, but that might just be because he's figuring it out and putting the pro game together.

But somehow when you talk about safeties it's Brian Dawkins this, Roy Williams that. Maybe it's because he's a free safety, but good lord, what does a kid have to do to get some national love?

To be fair his off field stuff and his silly contract dispute have a lot to do with his national perception.

The kid can play though that's for sure.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

I still think for the all around game Roy Williams is better at this stage in his career. Remember when RW was a rookie/2nd year player all the talk was about how hard he hit. He still does, but the way they use him in the defense is sick, especially when he blitzes. I think the guy is the best all-around safety in football...

I do agree that Dawkins is overrated though

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
I still think for the all around game Roy Williams is better at this stage in his career. Remember when RW was a rookie/2nd year player all the talk was about how hard he hit. He still does, but the way they use him in the defense is sick, especially when he blitzes. I think the guy is the best all-around safety in football...

I do agree that Dawkins is overrated though

I guess. Williams is a huge liability in coverage (with the MNF game as Exhibit A), and he's been in the league three years longer. The guy is better than someone like Adam Archuleta, but I don't think that Roy Williams is a safety that changes games like Mike Green or--yes--Brian Dawkins does.

I think that the Redskins' offense is so horrible that people don't talk enough about how good the defense actually is. I don't think that Sean Taylor is really showcased enough in that defense that people know how special the kid is, but he's easily better than 90% of the safeties in this league, and I'd put him against any three free safeties.

If you really think that Roy Williams is better than Ed Reed at the strong safety position, though, you're insane. I'll assume that you just forgot about the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I too thought Dawkins was overated. That was until he came back into the ATL/PHI game and made two huge plays (pass deflection and sack) to give PHI a shot at winning the game.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I guess. Williams is a huge liability in coverage (with the MNF game as Exhibit A), and he's been in the league three years longer. The guy is better than someone like Adam Archuleta, but I don't think that Roy Williams is a safety that changes games like Mike Green or--yes--Brian Dawkins does.

I think that the Redskins' offense is so horrible that people don't talk enough about how good the defense actually is. I don't think that Sean Taylor is really showcased enough in that defense that people know how special the kid is, but he's easily better than 90% of the safeties in this league, and I'd put him against any three free safeties.

If you really think that Roy Williams is better than Ed Reed at the strong safety position, though, you're insane. I'll assume that you just forgot about the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

I am insane....no you are right, I did forget about Reed. However, I like the way the Cowboys used RW in the past. Lineing him up all over the field, putting him on a RB, or WR, blitzing him from soo many different angles. They really used him well and to thet point, that he doesnt change games, I disgaree. I think teams certainly have to be very aware of how/where he lines up and how the cowboys are gonna use him....

I also dont neccessarily agree he is a liability in coverage. I think he misjudged Moss speed or was out of position, but the guy is a ball hawk and has 10 int's and 27 passes defended in 3 years....he must be doing something right in coverage and the cowboys dont hesitate to line him up against anyone.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
I am insane....no you are right, I did forget about Reed. However, I like the way the Cowboys used RW in the past. Lineing him up all over the field, putting him on a RB, or WR, blitzing him from soo many different angles. They really used him well and to thet point, that he doesnt change games, I disgaree. I think teams certainly have to be very aware of how/where he lines up and how the cowboys are gonna use him....

I also dont neccessarily agree he is a liability in coverage. I think he misjudged Moss speed or was out of position, but the guy is a ball hawk and has 10 int's and 27 passes defended in 3 years....he must be doing something right in coverage and the cowboys dont hesitate to line him up against anyone.

Well, Williams was definitely a liability in coverage last season after Woodson went down and they had to use RW as more of a coverage guy. I'd read multiple times last season that Dallas was frustrated about his lack of development when playing in space. Is it a huge concern? Probably not, especially with Terrance Newman's setbacks the past two-plus years, but it hasn't gone without mention.

As for the other stuff, it's not that impressive to me. "Lineing him up all over the field, putting him on a RB, or WR, blitzing him from soo many different angles." That sounds like the job description for a SS in the NFL these days.

For all that, Sean Taylor, as a rookie, outpaced Williams in picks, passes defensed, and sacks last season, and we never hear about the guy except when he does something stupid. If anyone wonders why the Redskins continute to put up with him, that's the reason.

By the way, look out for Troy Vincent in his new incarnation as a Free Safety. He already has two picks this season. When 2005 is said and done, it'll be a travesty if both of them aren't in the Pro Bowl, especially considering the defensive lines that each team has (that Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis were the NFC's reps last season remains a travesty--no secondary in the NFL is more overrated than Philly's).

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Well, Williams was definitely a liability in coverage last season after Woodson went down and they had to use RW as more of a coverage guy. I'd read multiple times last season that Dallas was frustrated about his lack of development when playing in space. Is it a huge concern? Probably not, especially with Terrance Newman's setbacks the past two-plus years, but it hasn't gone without mention.

As for the other stuff, it's not that impressive to me. "Lineing him up all over the field, putting him on a RB, or WR, blitzing him from soo many different angles." That sounds like the job description for a SS in the NFL these days.

For all that, Sean Taylor, as a rookie, outpaced Williams in picks, passes defensed, and sacks last season, and we never hear about the guy except when he does something stupid. If anyone wonders why the Redskins continute to put up with him, that's the reason.

By the way, look out for Troy Vincent in his new incarnation as a Free Safety. He already has two picks this season. When 2005 is said and done, it'll be a travesty if both of them aren't in the Pro Bowl, especially considering the defensive lines that each team has (that Brian Dawkins and Michael Lewis were the NFC's reps last season remains a travesty--no secondary in the NFL is more overrated than Philly's).

Maybe maybe not, but I really dont think RW is a liability in coverage, maybe he is the past couple of years but he certainly wasnt his first two. I havent heard anything about him not being able to play in space, in fact quite the opposite. Oh well it doesnt matter. I think having Wiliams or Taylor on your team will make that defense much better just b/c the flexibility the DC has now. (Ed Reed included, I keep forgetting him, maybe it is b/c I hate Belick so much)

SS used to be a liability position for a guy who couldnt run but could hit like a LB. I think RW changed all that when he came into the league. or at least facilitated that change. I agree on the job description for a SS these days, but prior to RW I dont think that was the case...Hell there was a time when a common rule of thumb was "you can always get a safety later on, never take a safety in round 1" Thats BS these days. I think the SS is essentially the leader of the defense if not at least the biggest playmaker! Hell, DC's foam at the mouth to get a SS like that now and wont hesitate to not only draft 1st round but top 10.

I guess I cant get behind Taylor b/c I dont think he will be in football all that long and I dont liek the ******* things he does...as a player he is A1, as a person he is scum imo.... :shrug:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser