ASFN: Official 2013 NFL Draft Thread

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
You got me. I would say that is small. A bit concerning in terms of starting. From memory most I would say are 6 foot or taller, 5'11" maybe.

We could envision him as a nickel/dime free safety and/or 3rd/4th CB.

I will say at those positions he is more free to let his talent take over. If he develops into something more perhaps in time he could do more.

I was thinking 4th or 5th round for him potentially. So I am shocked as well. But make no mistake I'm just a fan. Sometimes I see something and feel conviction on it, but I am no 'expert'.

They did show our war room and we looked extremely happy to get him. So whatever the reason we picked him, we had conviction about him FWIW.

Still talent on the board and two fourth rounders. Maybe we liked him more at this point then any of the other safeties???

Like the potential, but still a big head scratcher.

Maybe TJ McDonald too!?? If not drafted yet...

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You got me. I would say that is small. A bit concerning in terms of starting. From memory most I would say are 6 foot or taller, 5'11" maybe.

We could envision him as a nickel/dime free safety and/or 3rd/4th CB.

I will say at those positions he is more free to let his talent take over. If he develops into something more perhaps in time he could do more.

I was thinking 4th or 5th round for him potentially. So I am shocked as well. But make no mistake I'm just a fan. Sometimes I see something and feel conviction on it, but I am no 'expert'.

They did show our war room and we looked extremely happy to get him. So whatever the reason we picked him, we had conviction about him FWIW.

Still talent on the board and two fourth rounders. Maybe we liked him more at this point then any of the other safeties???

Like the potential, but still a big head scratcher.

Well that's sort of what I was thinking. A Big Money Mathieu instead of a Money Mike plus the return ability. If PP21 can get Honey Badger to play with the heart of Mike Adams we've got ourselves a heck of a ball player.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many picks do we have in the 6th this year? I thought we got the Vikings 6th when we traded CB AJ Jefferson to them before the 1st game last year. Is that right?

NFL.com only has us w/ one pick in the 6th-#174.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many picks do we have in the 6th this year? I thought we got the Vikings 6th when we traded CB AJ Jefferson to them before the 1st game last year. Is that right?

NFL.com only has us w/ one pick in the 6th-#174.

Is that the pick we gave up for Palmer maybe?

Steve

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
long but worth the read... http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/Tyrann-Mathieu/hi-my-name-tyrann

esp liked this part...

Patrick Peterson stands at Mathieu's side with a stopwatch. Mathieu's best friend, now a two-time Pro Bowler for the Arizona Cardinals, shares the same agent and has agreed to devote three months of his offseason to mentoring Mathieu. Peterson is everything Mathieu wants to become: a 22-year-old with Hall of Fame potential, a mansion in Arizona and a sterling reputation. Peterson has started a journal to detail his work with Mathieu, taking daily notes on their drills and writing down the motivational aphorisms "Eyes to the future" and "Win it all back" and "Put all your eggs in one basket."

On this morning, Peterson decides that Mathieu is not even ready to sprint the entire 40 yards in practice. First he needs to master the 10-yard start, perfecting every micro-movement of his acceleration.

"Come on, Ty. Not good. Get your hips lower," Peterson says after Mathieu runs one, in 1.47 seconds.

"Straighter, faster," he says, after another one in 1.43.

"You're not impressing anybody," he says, after another in 1.41.

Peterson often tells Mathieu that a good defensive back needs to be in the best shape of any player on the field, and he uses that mantra again and again to push his protégé to the brink of collapse. They sprint together in a sandbox. They do aerobics in a swimming pool. They stretch with resistance bands. They spin in circles to dizzy themselves before sparring in a boxing ring, disoriented, punch-drunk, leaning against each other or the ropes. "I want to find your breaking point," Peterson tells him.

Outstanding.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cardinals Mock revised for rounds 4-7.

Chris Faulk LT
PJ Lonergan OC
Tharold Simon CB
Spencer Ware RB
Brad Wing P

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I still believe we draft a QB and it would not shock me if we used one of or 4th rounders to do it...and then they attempt to trade Hoyer for a 7th.

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
Again isn't he too short to be a Safety? Most are 6' or better and he's only 5'9". Are there other FS of similar size?
Lincoln was once asked to settle an argument about how long a man's legs should be and his response was "long enough to reach the ground". I guess will have to wait an see if his are!

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I still believe we draft a QB and it would not shock me if we used one of or 4th rounders to do it...and then they attempt to trade Hoyer for a 7th.

I tend to agree. I would like to see the Cards package their 7th and Hoyer to move up to the 5th or 6th rd., same basic idea.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, Leon Sandcastle's draft stock has plummeted. From consensus #1 to the Chiefs to still available in the 4th round. Would be a steal if he was 25 years younger, absolutely :D

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Just mentioned on NFL Network that Browns had interest in Hoyer and the Cardinals are willing to trade him. I think if they find a rookie QB they like he is as good as gone. Barkley, Bray, Wilson, Nassib are all there and represent value at this point IMO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philly on the clock first pick round 4. A trade happened.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ESPN was all over the Barkly pick and Mayock was dead wrong

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It removed a temptation from the Cardinals.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05