ASU New Coach - Todd Graham from Pitt

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My expectations were set pretty low it's hard to come up with too much outrage about this hire. All I can do at this point is hope it works out and a few years from now someone bumps this thread to show how wrong everyone was.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Mark May on Gambo's show...

1. After the events of the last two weeks and the June Jones fiasco there were very few coaches who would even consider the ASU job. Insinuated that the ASU job is a joke within the coaching circles right now.

2. This is Graham's 4th job in 6 years

3. He went 6-6 at Pitt with 15 returning starters from a team that was co-Big East champions last year

4. Has worked with great offensive coaches. Has not had very good defenses.

5. Not considered a strong recruiter, but does have a lot of energy

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Mark May on Gambo's show...

1. After the events of the last two weeks and the June Jones fiasco there were very few coaches who would even consider the ASU job. Insinuated that the ASU job is a joke within the coaching circles right now.

2. This is Graham's 4th job in 6 years

3. He went 6-6 at Pitt with 15 returning starters from a team that was co-Big East champions last year

4. Has worked with great offensive coaches. Has not had very good defenses.

5. Not considered a strong recruiter, but does have a lot of energy

Championship!

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
This is about the only thing I will say to defend him: He tried to take a very conservative roster and turn it into a free-wheeling Texas team. They had QB issues. Incidentally, the QB's father is Alabama LB coach Sal Sunseri, and if Pitt is smart, they'll hire him as replacement. Like, right now.
Not to rub it in, but Sunseri had better TD/INT ratio and completion percentage the year before as a sophomore under Wanny.

For the rest of it, I have to bite my lip. He's my coach now. This must be how it feels as a father when your daughter decides to marry a used car salesman. All I can do is shut up, smile, and hope I'm wrong. And foot the damn bill.
Yep, that's what you gotta do. I was ready to cheer for Tim Floyd or Seth Greenberg for God's sake.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pathetic hire. As soon as we find out the lenghth of his contract we should start a countdown clock to ASU's next coaching search. This guy will not be able to recruit.

aznando

Rookie
Reaction score
Horrible and embarrassing. This is really better than June Jones who is a proven winner? Not that I was too thrilled with him, but he looks like a real good hire at this point. I give it 2-3 years before we are looking for a new HC and probably a new AD.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Never heard of him....How anyone in the AD still has a job is mind boggling.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Completely unexpected and out of the dark.

Living in Pittsburgh and having a wife that works at Pitt's Medical Center (thus she gets perks of season tickets for free) I've been subject to Pitt games this season and here's what I can tell you about Graham.

Pros:

He CAN run a pretty nice offense when the pieces are in place. I don't think it will take him long to have some success in Tempe. While Pitt's offense sputtered, putting a high octane offense out there with Tino Sunseri as your only viable QB is the proveribal square peg/round hole scenario. Also, I can't help but think a healthy Ray Graham and Dion Lewis returning would have made his offensive hopes substantially better.

He generally runs a disciplined team, which doesn't make many blockheaded penalties or errors.

Can recruit in Texas, Oklahoma and landed a few Californians.

Cons:

He's EXTREMELY stubborn with his ways. There's no budging with him, he's either going to run his high octane plans or go down in flames. When Graham went down, there was zero adaptation.

He threw Sunseri under the bus.... OFTEN. He seems to be one who instead of taking accountability for losses, will shift blame to the players.

Him calling ANYONE of his staff "mercenaries" is the paint labeling the kettle. This is a guy who has gone one-and-done at TWO jobs now (he also ditched Rice after one year for Tulsa) and don't think for one second if a more high profile job opens and he's doing respectably, he'll stick around. He'll bolt from Tempe as quick as he's bolting from Pittsburgh.

Recruiting wise, he's extremely one dimensional. Little emphasis on defense, even though he started his coaching career as a defensive coordinator.

For the question of him being like Wanny, he's not.. Not even close, neither good nor bad.

I'm truly not nuts about the hire, because some of his cons are alarming, especially his stubbornness. Fact that he'd rather get beat 56-3 than adapt his game plan is frightening at best. The fact that he'll have his UHaul packed and will be heading up I10 for a more high profile job before anyone knows he's gone is also alarming. To tell his team he's quitting via text is as low as it gets, as is verbally agreeing to a contract extension with the team that one year earlier gave you your HC break, only to accept a job with another school 20 minutes later is dirty.

I don't like it.. I really don't.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
This is such a terrible hire and situation that even I, as a UA alum, feel outraged!

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I want UA to destroy the Devils every time, but not like this.

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Also from an ASU board. Apparently Graham is a defensive guy yet...

Rice 2006 - Allowed 32.6ppg, 11th of 12 in Conference USA
Tulsa 2007 - Allowed 35.4ppg, 9th of 12 in Conference USA
Tulsa 2008 - Allowed 29.1ppg, 6th of 12 in Conference USA
Tulsa 2009 - Allowed 27.3ppg, 5th of 12 in Conference USA
Tulsa 2010 - Allowed 29.9ppg, 6th of 12 in Conference USA
Pitt 2011 - Allowed 22.2ppg, 4th of 8 in the Big East

I do feel bad for you guys, I was hoping for English vs Rich Rod. At least with English if things were to go bad he'd always have the interests of ASU at heart with his past here and all the relationships he has locally. Maybe in a couple years.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Todd is a helluva coach guys!!! He's a master motivator & will get this team on the right track in 2 years I promise you. I went to HS with him, graduated with him & watched him work his way up the food chain here in TX HS football thru college.

BTW-I'm not sure if anyone knows but he was in Cards camp years ago as a DB under Gene Stallings...helluva a small college player!!!

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
ESPN called the move 'perplexing', and definitely don't hold Graham in high regard after sending a text message to his players.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:04 PM
Subject: Introduction of Our New Head Coach

At 5:30 PM today, Sun Devil Athletics will host a press conference to announce Todd Graham as the newest head coach of your Sun Devil Football team. As a valued member of the Sun Devil Family, we wanted you to be among the first to receive this important announcement.

Todd Graham will be become the 23rd head coach in Sun Devil Football history. With an overall record of 49-29 including 3-1 in bowl appearances, Graham earned Conference USA Coach of the Year honors in 2006 after leading Rice to their first bowl victory in 45 years. While known for leading programs that post many of the top offensive numbers in the nation in recent seasons, Graham also is known as tough defensive coach who served as defensive coordinator at both Tulsa and West Virginia. The full press release, which will be available publicly later today, is provided below.

The press conference will be webcast live by Fox Sports Arizona and can be accessed by clicking here. We invite you to tune in and hear from our new head coach as he prepares to begin the next chapter of Sun Devil Football.

PITTSBURGH COACH TODD GRAHAM, KNOWN FOR EXCELLENCE ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BALL AND WHO TRANSFORMED PROGRAMS AT TULSA AND RICE, NAMED SUN DEVIL HEAD COACH

Arizona State University has named Pittsburgh head coach Todd Graham, who led Rice to its first bowl victory in 45 seasons in 2006 and then led Tulsa to back-to-back 10-plus win seasons for the first time in school history in 2007 and 2008, as its 23rd football coach, Vice President of Athletics Lisa Love and Chief Operating Officer Steve Patterson have announced.

While known for leading programs that post many of the top offensive numbers in the nation in recent seasons, Graham also is known as tough defensive coach who served as defensive coordinator at both Tulsa and West Virginia. He also has had an eye for hiring some of the nation’s top assistant coaches on his staff.

“Criteria for our head coach was established, and the word that was at the forefront of discussions was ‘energy’…energy towards promoting our program in the community and with former players. Energy towards instilling discipline, leadership and in recruiting. Energy towards representing our brand in every facet of the program,” notes Love. “In Todd, we have not only hired a young and sitting head coach, but one with a history of success on the field and in hiring top-notch assistant coaches. For the first time in his career, he will be taking over a program with a strong nucleus at the beginning. We are excited to watch Coach Graham take over a very well-positioned program and elevate it to the next level.”

“What we sought in a football coach was someone who would be in it for the long term at Arizona State, who would build and guide a program that would be competitive in the Pac-12 and on a national level year after year after year, who would communicate and connect with the community, and represent our University with honor. In Todd Graham we have that person,” says ASU President Dr. Michael Crow.

Born Dec. 5, 1964, Graham is 49-29 in his six-year head coaching career and most recently was head coach at Pittsburgh in 2011. He is well-known for his four-year stay at Tulsa from 2007-2010 when he led the Golden Hurricane to a 36-17 mark, which included three bowl wins and three seasons of 10-plus wins. The Golden Hurricane was one of just 11 schools to post back-to-back 10-win seasons in 2007 and 2008.

The native of Mesquite, Texas, had seasons at Tulsa which included records of 10-4 (2007), 11-3 (2008) and 10-3 (2010) and in his final season the Golden Hurricane won games at Notre Dame and then topped No. 24 Hawaii 62-35 in its own bowl game. The Notre Dame win was dubbed the biggest upset of the 2010 college football season by ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit.

His team’s have been scoreboard changers, as Tulsa twice led the nation in total offense (2007 at 543.9 yards per game and 2008 at 569.9 yards per game) and ranked fifth in 2010. His 2010 Tulsa team comprised of mainly his first recruiting class notched 505.6 yards per contest, but on the other side of the line of scrimmage the Golden Hurricane led the nation in interceptions (24) and was third in turnovers gained (36).

His 2007 squad not only led the nation in total offense at 543.9 yards per game, it set 29 school records, 15 conference marks and four NCAA records. Tulsa routed Bowling Green 63-7 in the GMAC Bowl, the largest bowl margin of victory in NCAA history.

His 2008 team again led the nation in total offense (569.9 yards per game) while ranking second in scoring (47.2 points per game), fifth in rushing (268 ypg) and ninth in passing (301.9 ypg). His team finished 11-3, capped by another large bowl win, a 45-13 victory over No. 22 Ball State in the GMAC Bowl.

The Sun Devil position will mark Graham’s fourth head-coaching position, as he also led Rice to its first bowl game in 45 seasons in 2006 and earned Conference USA Coach of the Year honors that same season. What made the year even more impressive is the Owls started the year 0-4 before winning seven of its next nine. Three of the wins were on the last play of the game.

Graham was an all-state defensive back at North Mesquite High School and after graduating in 1983 he played for East Central University in Ada, Okla., where he was a two-time NAIA defensive back. He began his coaching career in 1988 as an assistant at Poteet High School in Mesquite (1988-90) and then helped lead East Central University from a .500 program to NAIA national champions in his second year as he served as defensive coordinator from 1991-93. One year later he was at Carl Albert High School in Midwest City, Okla., and then spent time from 1995-2000 at Allen High School in Allen, Texas. While at Allen, north of Dallas, he also served as athletic director and led a program that had no district wins in the year prior to his arrival to five playoff berths in six seasons (1995-2000).

He was hired as the linebackers coach at West Virginia in 2001 and one year later he was named defensive co-coordinator as West Virginia went from 3-8 to 9-4. The 2002 Mountaineers forced 34 turnovers (19 interceptions) and ranked fourth nationally in turnover margin (+19).

In 2003 Steve Kragthorpe hired Graham as the defensive coordinator at Tulsa and he helped guide the Golden Hurricane to two bowl games in three seasons and led one of the conferences best defenses before taking over the Rice position. His 2005 team finished 9-4, won the Conference USA Title and shut down a high-flying Fresno State squad 31-24 in the Liberty Bowl. His defense ranked among the top 40 in takeaways (third), interceptions (third), pass efficiency defense (11th), pass defense (17th) and total defense (40th).

Graham earned a bachelor’s degree in education in 1987 from East Central and then later earned his master’s degree.

TODD GRAHAM BACKGROUND

Overall Head Coaching Record: 49-29 (6 seasons)

Born: Dec. 5, 1964

Hometown: Mesquite, Texas

Alma Mater: East Central University (1987)

Family: Wife Penni and children Bo, Hank, Natalie, Haylee, Dakota and Michael Todd Jr.

TURNING IT AROUND

Todd Graham was part of two of the NCAA’s top single-season turnarounds in recent history. In 2002 Tulsa was 1-11, but under Graham’s defensive leadership the team went 8-4 in 2003. At West Virginia, the Mountaineers were 3-8 but then jumped to 9-4 in his second season.

TULSA UNDER TODD GRAHAM

--In his first two seasons, the Golden Hurricane posted consecutive 10-win seasons for the first time in school history.

--Tulsa won a school-record 11 games in 2008.

--Tulsa led the nation in total offense in back-to-back seasons in 2007 and 2008, a first for any NCAA team since Nevada in 1995-96.

--His first hire as his offensive coordinator at Tulsa was Gus Malzahn. He also hired current Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris and current Texas co-offensive coordinator Major Applewhite.

--His 2010 squad ranked fifth in total offense (505.6 yards per game) and was sixth in scoring (41.4) but also led the nations in interceptions (24) and was third in turnovers gained (36).

--Tulsa’s 661 points in 2008 was the second-highest total in modern era of NCAA at the time (second only to Oklahoma’s 716 in 2008).
TODD GRAHAM HEAD COACHING RECORD YEAR-BY-YEAR
RICE
2006: 7-6 (6-2 in Conference USA and second in West)
TULSA
2007: 10-4 (6-3 in Conference USA and first in West)
2008: 11-3 (7-2 in Conference USA and tied for first in West)
2009: 5-7 (3-5 in Conference USA and 3rd in West)
2010: 10-3 (6-2 in Conference USA and tied for first in West)
PITTSBURGH
2011: 6-6 (4-3 in Big East)

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
For the first time in his career, he will be taking over a program with a strong nucleus at the beginning. We are excited to watch Coach Graham take over a very well-positioned program and elevate it to the next level.”
Not to point out the obvious here but...

Pitt had eighteen wins their last two years before Graham arrived. Tulsa had seventeen wins. ASU had twelve wins combined last two years.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Todd is a helluva coach guys!!! He's a master motivator & will get this team on the right track in 2 years I promise you. I went to HS with him, graduated with him & watched him work his way up the food chain here in TX HS football thru college.

BTW-I'm not sure if anyone knows but he was in Cards camp years ago as a DB under Gene Stallings...helluva a small college player!!!

So we have one YES!

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Know the ultimate irony of this?

In his only season as Pitt's coach, Graham led Pitt to the Compass Bowl where they'll face...

Ready for it?

SMU.. Coached by June Jones.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ESPN called the move 'perplexing', and definitely don't hold Graham in high regard after sending a text message to his players.

Coming from the network that has strong-armed schools into switching conferences, and still employs Craig James, they have little room to talk about anyone else.

Zobaczcie suki

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Thanks for sharing that, feel free to tell us more.

As the consumate glass "half full" guy, sorry guys but I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and get on board for next seasons. Everyone is harping on the negatives. I would point out.

1. Upgrade over DE in the energy department. He's only 47. People are saying he is high energy, that will carry over to the program.

2. Major upgrade over DE with respect to discipline. His teams have done a good job avoiding penalties.

3. Calling his departing staff mercenaries, I probably would have called them worse. That must have stung a bit.

4. On his staff leaving: 1) I don't blame them, I would much rather live in AZ than in Pittsburg. 2) Doesn't that also speak to perhaps a stronger and longer term relationship with Rich Rod? 3) It is more exciting to come out West and try to build something than to stay at Pitt.

5. On the text to players, indeed this would have been better at a team meeting. But we've seen this happen before due to timing issues. He had to come out to finalize things and perhaps finish off negotiations. ASU was probably pressuring him to get this done quickly due to the complainers about how long this was taking. Since it wasn't finalized at the time he flew out here, if he hadn't sent the text, his players would have found out about it on ESPN. THAT would have been even worse, no?

6. See Buckybird's comments.

7. This guy may be able to get Burfict on tract with his disciplined approach. That would be absolutely huge next year.

Give it a chance fellas.

Last edited:

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
Coming from the network that has strong-armed schools into switching conferences, and still employs Craig James, they have little room to talk about anyone else.
Very True.

Also, Graham will be bringing his OC and DC from Pitt, so it looks like Mazonne will probably be going to A&M.

OP
OP
jf-08

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
7. This guy may be able to get Burfict on tract with his disciplined approach. That would be absolutely huge next year.

Rumor has it that Burfict is as good as gone. Supposedly has filed his papers today.