ATTN Eagles Fans! Must Read About Our "Pathetic" Homefield Advantage

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Oh man did I love this. I have been saying this all week and Good ol Mikey Smith just confirmed what I saw in person on Saturday. This is for the 2 or 3 Eagles fans who have been on this board saying they aren't worried about the crowd here in Glendale.
Whole article is a good read but this was my favorite part..

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/01/16/smith/index.html

"I know we struggled with the crowd noise against the Cardinals defensive line. They beat us off the ball consistently, and we were shocked at the environment they had going in that stadium for our wild-card game. We played in both the Superdome and the Metrodome this season, and they're known as two of the noisiest places in the NFL. But with that roof closed in Arizona, it wasn't even close. They were rocking from the opening kickoff, and that noise could be a factor in this game as well.

Iggles have no idea what they are getting into....:grabs:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned the noise level to my dad a few nights ago. He said he really didn't think our noise would be that much of an advantage to the Cards. I had to remind him that the Eagles haven't played here yet and it ain't like the days at SDS. He started to say something else, but I knew if I didn't cut him off that we'd be fighting, so I made an excuse about having to go.

People really are clueless. I love it.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
shhhhh--- dont tell them

Mike Smith didnt do us any favors

although I doubt they really beleive it anyway

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:notworthy

Mike Smith complimented our fans, and he also said during pregame about our team "that's a bunch of good looking players over there...they've got a good team."

I also think he's a pretty good coach.

And yeah, Igglefan...it's loud here. Buckle up.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:notworthy

Mike Smith complimented our fans, and he also said during pregame about our team "that's a bunch of good looking players over there...they've got a good team."

I also think he's a pretty good coach.

And yeah, Igglefan...it's loud here. Buckle up.
It is not really that loud. You just don't know football. You living in Anthem and all.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Never called it pathetic. Just that you guys have a dome and had a perfect storm of available tickets at reasonable face-value prices last week.

Two days to go.

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
"I know we struggled with the crowd noise against the Cardinals defensive line. They beat us off the ball consistently, and we were shocked at the environment they had going in that stadium for our wild-card game. We played in both the Superdome and the Metrodome this season, and they're known as two of the noisiest places in the NFL. But with that roof closed in Arizona, it wasn't even close. They were rocking from the opening kickoff, and that noise could be a factor in this game as well.

...said the rookie head coach of his rookie QB in a nerve-wracking away-game during the playoffs.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
...said the rookie head coach of his rookie QB in a nerve-wracking away-game during the playoffs.
I would trust a rookie NFL head coach over someone who has never 1) coached in the NFL and/or 2) been in the stadium.

Mike Smith has been around a long time. You?

:)

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Yup. You are right. Will be completely different on Sunday. Might not even be as loud.

:snickersnicker:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I would trust a rookie NFL head coach over someone who has never 1) coached in the NFL and/or 2) been in the stadium.

Mike Smith has been around a long time. You?

:)

Got me there.

Can't wait to see what happens when Mulli and RandomGuy suit up and take the field on Sunday, too.

Reaction score
I remember when the Eagles went to St.Louis for the NFCCG back in 2001(?)

Andy Reid had the team practicing at their indoor practice facility while piping in loud annoying music. I'd tend to believe that they're doing something similar this week in preparation for UoP stadium.

Being at home will make a bit of a difference for the Cardinals. But it's cute how so many of you think it's going to be a game changer against a playoff seasoned team like the Eagles.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Andy Reid had the team practicing at their indoor practice facility while piping in loud annoying music. I'd tend to believe that they're doing something similar this week in preparation for UoP stadium.

Being at home will make a bit of a difference for the Cardinals. But it's cute how so many of you think it's going to be a game changer against a playoff seasoned team like the Eagles.

It's going to be a game changer for our defense at the least..

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Yup. You are right. Will be completely different on Sunday. Might not even be as loud.

:snickersnicker:

I just can't convince anyone of my point, nor am I convinced of yours.

I understand your pride. Clearly you had a 12th man out there last Sunday. All of your most loyal, loudest fans were able to get seats. And they showed up big time. Your own players were amazed.

But the circumstances of ticket sales are just so incredibly different. A week at face value vs six total minutes. Tickets available on ebay and stubhub for $25 vs the current prices at Stubhub.

http://www.stubhub.com/arizona-cardinals-playoff-tickets/cardinals-vs-eagles-1-18-2009-740183/

Seriously, prices START at $250 right now. The first page is up to $400. These aren't the same prices by a longshot.

I would say the exact same thing if this was being played at the Linc. You simply won't have the same amount of rabid, screaming fans in the seats as last week. Scalped tickets to more casual fans and opposing fan purchases will eat into that sound you had last week.

I just don't see how everyone seems to think this won't be the case. Like everyone from last week will be there again.

Last edited:

RandomGuy

Registered
Reaction score

The Eagles are on record as practicing with piped-in noise this week. They actually practice one day a week like that during the entire season.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

Thats what you don't get. I'm not that inclined to think that it's going to effect your offense all that much. You are right in that they are seasoned and will have played in loud envrionments before.

But you see the team your playing isn't exactly the Patriots in that they are self motivated and play with the same intensity every game. When the crowd gets going that defense goes from a Top 20 defense to a Top 5 defense. I firmly believe that. Watch the juju the crowd generates. The player feeds off it.

I'm sure it won't be so cute when you guys are sitting in cold ass Philly come Super Bowl Sunday.