AYTON TRADED!

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did someone tell him this is a game and not shootaround?

Unfortunately they did. That's why he's not practicing his half court shots.

I'm 100% serious also, he'd always jack up as many, if not more, half court heaves than regular shots in pregame shoot arounds. The guy does not take basketball seriously.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately they did. That's why he's not practicing his half court shots.

I'm 100% serious also, he'd always jack up as many, if not more, half court heaves than regular shots in pregame shoot arounds. The guy does not take basketball seriously.

What are you talking about? Those half court heaves were absolutely about game prep as there was word that Ayton wanted to shoot three pointers and that the Suns weren’t utilizing that skill enough.

Muggz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Well I'm shocked quite honestly. NOT
We had this ***** for 5 years, he showed us what he was about all 5 years.
He's not going to turn into something else. He's not going to prosper under another coach or in front of another fanbase.
He's going to stand there and watch the good players play around him
Like he has always done.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well I'm shocked quite honestly. NOT
We had this ***** for 5 years, he showed us what he was about all 5 years.
He's not going to turn into something else. He's not going to prosper under another coach or in front of another fanbase.
He's going to stand there and watch the good players play around him
Like he has always done.

He's going to show out in 2 years and convince Portland they finally figured out how use him but reality is he's working on that next contract.

Although I wouldn't be shocked if he up and disappears entirely after this contract. Calls it a day and rides off into the sunset with his $180 million or so he made through his career. Dude doesn't care about basketball.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
From the Blazers subreddit game thread:

You must be registered for see images attach

I was going through some of their stuff yesterday and it's hilarious how they believe he'll turn it on once Scoot and Simons return. Everyone who pointed how he had Chris Paul spoon feeding him the last 3 years was ignored. Apparently they've bought into the idea that Anton isn't productive because they're lacking quality PG's right now.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going through some of their stuff yesterday and it's hilarious how they believe he'll turn it on once Scoot and Simons return. Everyone who pointed how he had Chris Paul spoon feeding him the last 3 years was ignored. Apparently they've bought into the idea that Anton isn't productive because they're lacking quality PG's right now.
It all sounds very familiar. Poor Portland fans are just going to have to go through what we suffered.

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that even though DA may get 8 or 9 rebounds they are easy rebounds. I don't ever remember him getting many contested rebounds but many many that there are like 3 of his teammates in the paint and the other team already retreating for defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I feel like the rest of the world is just coming out of a 5 year hibernation cave and seeing the world I’ve been living in . . .

It's so nice that we've moved on and no longer need to trick ourselves into believing "This is it, the lightbulb is on!" anymore. I know you rarely did that, especially after his first 2-3 years or so but we're all guilty of hoping he had or would turn the corner if X, Y, or Z happened.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It's so nice that we've moved on and no longer need to trick ourselves into believing "This is it, the lightbulb is on!" anymore. I know you rarely did that, especially after his first 2-3 years or so but we're all guilty of hoping he had or would turn the corner if X, Y, or Z happened.
I think he’s the player I was most excited to draft in our history and my biggest disappointment.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think he’s the player I was most excited to draft in our history and my biggest disappointment.

I remember when he was in college and it seemed like a total pipe dream that the Suns would get the #1 overall pick and be able to take him. Then the Luka hype started midseason or so but it still seemed like the Center we never had was in our own backyard, as in Tucson. We're the Suns so the thought we'd have the opportunity to get him still seemed far fetched. I essentially came to terms with getting the 4th or 5th pick and maybe being able to get Bagley, at best, but most likely Trae Young or Mo Bamba. The lottery blew my mind and had me all aboard the Ayton train.

Ayton was going to be Patrick Ewing, basically. Not a defensive beast but he'd be able to be the #1 or #2 offensive option averaging well over 20 & 10. We'd finally have that franchise center worth building around and could do so for the next decade. He failed at being a legit #2 and couldn't even be a good #3 offensively. He could shoot jumpers but that's it and if he didn't receive the pass perfectly he couldn't do that because he'd take too long to load up and he couldn't even attack the basket over guards. He was and is such a disappointment that I'd almost rather he busted like Bagley because then we could have moved on sooner. He'd tease us just enough not to give up entirely through his first 3-4 years that most convinced themselves keeping him on a max deal wasn't just a good idea but absolutely necessary to remain relevant. Such a shame. I'd be less disappointed in a Greg Oden situation. I guess that's why Blazer fans have bought in. At least he's able to dresses for games.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
This direct comparison of players misses the mark a little bit.

It's also about team building and structure.

Neither player is crazy impactful or a cornerstone.

However, Nurkic will cost $14m-$15m less per season.

This allows the team to invest elsewhere - hopefully in players that will make the impact that neither of these bigs can

It also gives more flexibility as the Nurkic contact will be easier to package and move - not that it's a great contact either, it definitely isn't

It's just less crippling on a veteran team of high paid players

Ayton had shown what he is and it's not a guy that you want taking up over 20% of the league cap, thinking he's a superstar while consistently checking out and playing soft

Not to mention the potential for locker room and team dynamics in this move

So we can squabble about assists and free throws, athleticism vs game smarts, etc.

The bottom line is that both are incomplete, neither are reliable, neither are centerpieces - one of them understands that, the other doesn't and carries a much higher salary

Ayton is the 7th highest paid big in the league - he's within $4m of being top 5. There is a $7m gap to 8th.

He's just not that guy
The best player in the Trade was Allen - outside of Dame/Holiday

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
One of the saddest things - think back to that playoff win - Ayton's shiniest moment in the league where he physically dominates the defender and hits the rim for the game winning ali oop

Ayton can do this anytime he wants - between his height and athleticism all he has to do is get one step on his defender - probably only half a step - just point and cut to the basket - that simple - over and over again until teams defend it - no CP3 needed

Booker and even KD (in his limited time) tried and tried to lead Ayton to the basket but he'd either get bullied off course or stop and pop - and simply put - bigs don't go to the free throw line with the stop and pop jump shot

Now Book and KD are trying to lead Nurk to the basket with passes - and it may be hard to watch at times - but Nurk understands the importance of going to the basket and the free throw line - Nurk may not be blessed with the physical gracefulness deAndre displays but Nurk has heart

This is why we saw KD both coaching Nurk up and holding him accountable last night - because he knows Nurk can handle the criticism and won't slink into some imaginary shell

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
My final pick was DA but I didn’t feel great about it. I hated the half confused/half unfocused look he always had on his face at Arizona. A smart team probably passes on him after doing a psychological exam on his attitude and motivation levels but that’s why the Suns and Kings were bottom feeders for so long. I remember Luka playing in the Euro championships right before the draft and he wasn’t overly impressive. Definitely one of the most Suns things ever to finally get the #1 pick and take the guy who doesn’t want to be great.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
My final pick was DA but I didn’t feel great about it. I hated the half confused/half unfocused look he always had on his face at Arizona. A smart team probably passes on him after doing a psychological exam on his attitude and motivation levels but that’s why the Suns and Kings were bottom feeders for so long. I remember Luka playing in the Euro championships right before the draft and he wasn’t overly impressive. Definitely one of the most Suns things ever to finally get the #1 pick and take the guy who doesn’t want to be great.
I had Ayton ahead of Luka, but I mistakenly prioritized positional need over talent. I was a big fan of Luka going into that draft..

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22