Reaction score
Offense:

QB Blaine Gabbert:

Plusses:

* Picked apart the Jags' zones
* Employs the TEs in the passing scheme, more than Palmer or Stanton
* Uses his feet to extend plays and drives---even BA is warming up to this
* Throws with quick release and with relatively good accuracy
* Bounced back from adversity---threw the 52 yard TD bomb to Jaron Brown under extreme pressure and with a flick of his wrist
* Excellent 2 pt. conversion pass to Larry Fitzgerald---this was huge.
* Was clutch down the stretch---threw two frozen ropes to the left sidelines on the money to win game

Concerns:

* Ball protection---can't be stripped near his own goal line with the lead.
* Throwing to prescribed spots (Palmer did this a lot too)---needs to learn to trust his eyes and his arm
* Needs to get plays in and out of the huddle a little faster

RB Adrian Peterson

* Ran for nearly 4.0 ypc. and 79 yards
* Is at his best when he lowers his shoulder on contact and gets forward push
* Got stood up too many times---poor technique
* Fumbled a handoff
* Did not look natural as a pass catcher

TE Ricky Seals-Jones:

* Big target who knows what to do when he catches the ball---lowered the shoulder in traffic and eluded defenders in open space.
* Game is not too fast for him, which is rare for a rookie

Offensive Line:

* Best game of the season for this unit
* Won the majority of the battles versus outstanding Jags' front
* Veldheer is playing so well, his 2018 salary is actually starting to look doable.
* Wetzel is a natural RT who is equally good in run, pass and screen blocking
* Boone, Shipley and Watford were solid all game

D.J. Foster:

* How about that second and third effort to get the first down on the 3rd down shovel pass.
* Outstanding game winning catch while getting belted on sideline.
* Excellent kickoff return (called back for a penalty)

Jermaine Gresham:

* Hard to imagine he is worth $7.25M a year
* Still a head case

Defense:

Budda Baker:

* Has given the defense a burst of energy
* Cleans up quickly on tackles---here's what Honey Badger told ESPN's Josh Weinfuss:
Tyrann Mathieu almost had a second opportunity to face Leonard Fournette one-on-one Sunday. Fournette ran through a hole and Mathieu was the only defender waiting on him. But then rookie safety Budda Baker swooped in and hit Fournette. "So, kudos to Budda," Mathieu said. "I might take him out to dinner after this."
* Leading big-time by example

Chandler Jones:

* Was on fire all game versus both the run and the pass
* Closed on the ball in a flash
* Got called for late hit on QB (one of 3 roughing the passer penalties the Cardinals incurred)
* Where was this Chandler Jones last week? This inconsistency is what annoyed Patriots' fans.
* Was still celebrating sack when the Jags passed ahead to get into FG range to end first half.

Olsen Pierre:

* Fast emerging as the interior pass rusher the team has been lacking

Karlos Dansby:

* The mind is eager but the body isn't reacting---was two steps slow all day

Josh Bynes:

* Was very effective in swarming the ball and in pass coverage (10 tackles----huge lift off bench)
* Over-ran his contain on Bortles---really needs to squeeze that down the way Sio Moore did last year

Honey Badger:

* Was a real factor in pressuring Bortles from the edge off blitzes---he still thrives in that role
* This was his best game in coverage---not only making the big game saving interception, but in making a good pass breakup on the deep pass earlier in the quarter (which HB has struggled with this year)

Frostee Rucker:

* Very active and helped the Cardinals defensive line win the battle up front.

Special Teams:

Andy Lee:

* Continues to punt at a Pro Bowl level---4 punts (once agin inside the 20)

Kickoff Return Coverage:

* Had the one poor breakdown late in the game---otherwise the Cardinals' STs were near perfect on the day.

Phil Dawson:

* Made the huge tackle on the KO return, perfectly using the sideline as a defender.
* Clutch kicks all day, the 2nd FG snap was bad (Drescher remains inconsistent) but Dawson stayed calm and nailed it. 57 yard GW FG was a gem. Perfect compact technique. Had presence of mind to make sure the team did;t run onto the field---his experience has helped STs in a big way.

Bruse Arians:

* Deferred the kickoff for the 2nd time---worked great.
* First half coaching was a gem in just about every way.
* Came out and scored a FG on first possession of second half---this was big.
* Needs to embrace his QB's mobility and use it more to the team's advantage.
* Kept calling WR screen when the Jags were all over them all game.
* Helped Gabbert stay calm after the fumble---great bounce back TD from Gabbert.

James Bettcher:

* One of his better games as DC.
* Shut down Fournette
* But, he has to know that when he commits his ends to crashing down to stop the run, teams are going to run the read option---he had Bynes on a contain switch later on, but Bynes didn't play it correctly, and Dansby didn't scrape and fill and Bethea was way too late storing the alley. Can't keep giving up chuck QB runs.
* Best thing though was Bettcher had some new blitz schemes that worked this week, like the double safety blitz (Baker and Bethea) in tandem off the left edge.
* Biggest concern---defense once again this week gave up a TD on its first drive of the 2nd half---has been an issue all year---plus, just like last week, when the Cardinals got a second half lead. the defense gives it right back....and it didn't help that the STs gave up the long return to set up the tying TD.

Amos Jones:

* One bad play this week, otherwise this is perhaps his best game as STs coordinator.

Big win for the Cardinals. Will they build on this?

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If Buc is out, Sio Moore may be healthy again and available, he was cut from the Texans due to a hamstring issue. I prefer him over Bynes.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
Great write up as always. I recall you talking up Ricky Seals-Jones in the preseason, and boy is he a great boost to the offense right now. Boone really played well, quite an addition for a guy pulled off his couch. Great to have Honey Badger finally looking close to 100%. He is somehow un-blockable on blitzes, and really how many players in the entire NFL read that play correctly and make the INT from that extremely close distance? Very, very few. Exciting times, will need the same effort from Chandler Jones against the Rams!

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Jones hasn't been inconsistent he's been great all year tied for league lead in sacks and leads the league in tackles for loss that's flat out dominate yeah he had a bad game last week but he's been worth every penny and more.

What a difference moving Veldaheer wow. I was really really concerned for our offense this game but our o line dominated well as much as you can dominate against a front line like that

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Offense:

QB Blaine Gabbert:

* Throwing to prescribed spots (Palmer did this a lot too)---needs to learn to trust his eyes and his arm

Nice write-up Mitch, but please, no whataboutisms

:)

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Jones has only had 1 bad game out of 11. How is that inconsistent?

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
If Buc is out, Sio Moore may be healthy again and available, he was cut from the Texans due to a hamstring issue. I prefer him over Bynes.

I think Bynes did well. Did he not?

I think the difference maker on offense was how well the Oline played. They hold up the line perfectly. There were times I saw BG freak out and pull the ball down when the line was still protecting him. The oline just needs to be consistent here on out and the may have a chance to win 3 or 4 games of their last 5.

Just think, if the D can play the same throughout the next 5 games, and the Oline can protect at the same level as they did yesterday, this team can win possibly all 5 of their remaining games. The only 2 games I see that could be tough are the rams and seattle games.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Saw that this week the 49ers waived LB Ray Ray Armstrong. Thought he played pretty well versus the Cardinals. On the season he has 54 tackles 1 sack and 2 interceptions. He could help, imo.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Saw that this week the 49ers waived LB Ray Ray Armstrong. Thought he played pretty well versus the Cardinals. On the season he has 54 tackles 1 sack and 2 interceptions. He could help, imo.
Signed by giants

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Jones has only had 1 bad game out of 11. How is that inconsistent?

You’re asking the same guy who trashes Peterson every chance he gets, so take his criticisms with a grain (or bag) of salt.

I also think I remember Walt advicating letting Jones walk in the offseason.

Just another poster who is ever loathe to admit they’re wrong... like most of us.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This was by far the best D effort and ST's play this season. This is how we were hoping to see inspired D football played ALL YEAR. We got it in bits and pieces but never for a whole game. The pressure was consistent all game and blitzes were well schemed at last. C. Jones was awsome out there and Tyrann played by far his best of the year. It's really what's been missing.

As far as Gabbert is concerned. He's making some inroads, and has a good feel for the intermediate game. His ball security is a major issue. He drops back with both hands on the ball, but when he makes a break out of the pocket he's carrying the ball in one hand. That can't continue.

Seals Jones is a nice find. Reminds me of Fells.

Kudos on the game planning in the 1st half, which got the ball out quickly.

Yeah, AP isn't DJ coming out of the backfield, for sure. He did do a little less hesitating it seemed this game. He just needs to quickly hit the first opening he sees and shift afterwards, not behind the line.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think Bynes did well. Did he not?

Yes - he did well, bit on misdirection a few times. I like Moore better physically and he also has good instincts. But having them both would make me even happier, because some plays, Dansby should be on the sidelines to rest up...because he is old

:)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
A few thoughts on Mitch’s comments.

Gabbert’s should get better at throwing to spots and leading receivers with more familiarity.

AP has always been a poor receiver.

Can’t keep Veldheer when Humphries is so much cheaper.

Part of why the O-line looked better is that Gabbert avoided several sacks that would have taken down Palmer. They still aren’t creating holes for Peterson. Dump them. Wetzel is an okay backup.

Foster looked decent. Hard to believe they waited so long to dump Ellington.

Bynes is not a good pass defender and blew contain. Moore was better and should have been retained.

TM made the interception but was covering the man in front of him. It was a poorly thrown ball but a good play by TM. The Cards did better at not letting him get isolated in coverage.

Nice kick by Dawson but on replay I think the first field goal was close to being blocked. The line was weak again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05