Barbosa Blames "Flop Artist" Ginobli

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
I read through couple of spurs forums and was amazed by most responses. Basically they blame Barbosa for 'bitching' at Ginobili. From their perspective Ginobili didn't do anything wrong.
Just wondering how they would feel if same happened to TD.

I definetely think Ginobili is going to learn his lesson very soon. We are talking about players careers here and he can definetely rob someone out opf their profession. I now that I would be extremely pissed it this happened to me. Lets say Barbosa was out for the year after the injury and it was his contract year. I wonder if some people would feel the same.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed. However, I don't think Ginobli learned his lesson. Just read what the SA fan has been writing. He doesn't think Ginobli is a flopper. Ginobli is so used to jumping on the floor I'm sure hes convinced himself that he is getting pushed on the floor. He's worse than soccer players who when have a finger laid on them just flop on the ground and start screaming. Manu won't learn his lesson until someone roughs him up and sends a message to him

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Shawty, you're evidently some sort of Spurs apologist who is trying to act cool by leavin' the letter G off of the verbs you're writin'. Since you can't seem to get SirChaz's point, let me explain it a different way:

Yes, the flopping is effective. Yes, Ginobili is smart to know how to use it to his advantage. Yes, he is a good player with a great nose for the ball and a knack for making clutch plays.

However, anyone who has played basketball an any level knows that there are certain things you don't do, out of respect for the well-being of other players. You don't take out someone's legs when he's going for a dunk. You don't clothesline someone around the neck when he's driving by you. And you don't throw your body at someone's knees, especially when he's off-balance.

If you haven't played for a while, get out on a street court and start playing dirty. At first, you'll probably get heckled. Then you might get a little roughed up. But if you persist on recklessly endangering the other players on the floor, you'll get a chance to understand what I mean.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
KANIDJA said:
I read through couple of spurs forums and was amazed by most responses. Basically they blame Barbosa for 'bitching' at Ginobili. From their perspective Ginobili didn't do anything wrong.
Just wondering how they would feel if same happened to TD.

I definetely think Ginobili is going to learn his lesson very soon. We are talking about players careers here and he can definetely rob someone out opf their profession. I now that I would be extremely pissed it this happened to me. Lets say Barbosa was out for the year after the injury and it was his contract year. I wonder if some people would feel the same.

Meet somewhere between Spur fan opinion and Sun fan opinion and you have a more fair assessment of the situation. This is not the first time an accident like this has occurred in basketball. you guys are treatin' this like an unprecedented occurrence. It's not. There have been many cases where a guy has been knocked over due to contact and/or slid tryin' to draw an offensive and ended up injurin' a knee. It HAS happened to Duncan. Ginobili is NOT a dirty player. If he was, I'd have nuthin' to say. His style of play may be frustratin' to defenders and their fans alike but it's certainly not on terms with the Malones and Fortsons who are ones who could ACTUALLY ruin your career.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
elindholm said:
Shawty, you're evidently some sort of Spurs apologist who is trying to act cool by leavin' the letter G off of the verbs you're writin'. Since you can't seem to get SirChaz's point, let me explain it a different way:

Yes, the flopping is effective. Yes, Ginobili is smart to know how to use it to his advantage. Yes, he is a good player with a great nose for the ball and a knack for making clutch plays.

However, anyone who has played basketball an any level knows that there are certain things you don't do, out of respect for the well-being of other players. You don't take out someone's legs when he's going for a dunk. You don't clothesline someone around the neck when he's driving by you. And you don't throw your body at someone's knees, especially when he's off-balance.

If you haven't played for a while, get out on a street court and start playing dirty. At first, you'll probably get heckled. Then you might get a little roughed up. But if you persist on recklessly endangering the other players on the floor, you'll get a chance to understand what I mean.

First off, hopefully, you are amused by my style of writin'. I like it. I'm happy to hear you do also. Unfortunately for you, I'm not a SPur apologist. It's easy to say such since I'm not a Suns fan. I can tell you much about different Spurs' games that is illegal/disturbin'.

I've played ball on a few levels and still play it (not right now though-injured meniscus). You can see clearly that Manu didn't THROW HIMSELF AT anyone's knees. THAT WOULD BE DIRTY. I'd be the first to be silent on that. He was tangled with ya' boy Bell and in typical Manu style went with the contact to try and draw a foul. Ill-advised? Yes. Dirty? No.

Trust me. I know about street ball. Where I grew up at, that's the name of the game. I know the unspoken rules. We all know NBA game and streetball are totally different. Many of your Suns wouldn't last a game in streetball. Many streetballers wouldn't last a game in the league. Apples and oranges.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Shawty said:
Meet somewhere between Spur fan opinion and Sun fan opinion and you have a more fair assessment of the situation. This is not the first time an accident like this has occurred in basketball. you guys are treatin' this like an unprecedented occurrence. It's not. There have been many cases where a guy has been knocked over due to contact and/or slid tryin' to draw an offensive and ended up injurin' a knee. It HAS happened to Duncan. Ginobili is NOT a dirty player. If he was, I'd have nuthin' to say. His style of play may be frustratin' to defenders and their fans alike but it's certainly not on terms with the Malones and Fortsons who are ones who could ACTUALLY ruin your career.
it would be something if there was contact but there was not contact. he just throws himself to the floor. he's like the kid that drives into the lane and throws up a prayer at the hoop only to call a foul when to his "amazement" the shot doesnt go in. again to flop to try to draw a charge is ok but not when you are the one driving.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
myrondizzo said:
it would be something if there was contact but there was not contact. he just throws himself to the floor. he's like the kid that drives into the lane and throws up a prayer at the hoop only to call a foul when to his "amazement" the shot doesnt go in. again to flop to try to draw a charge is ok but not when you are the one driving.

So what you're sayin' is that Bell NEVER touched Manu. if you say that, I'll end my convo with you now.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
No, many Spurs wouldnt last a second playing street ball. Manu would get knocked the F out! Well deserved:biglaugh:

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
"He was tangled with ya' boy Bell and in typical Manu style went with the contact to try and draw a foul. Ill-advised? Yes. Dirty? No. "

So you agree that he is a flopper and will do everything he can, including injuring someone just to get the call?
I say this because he should know that by flopping there is a big chance that he may land on someone's knee. I mean, it should be in the back of his head, that by falling backwards he could fall on another player that's fighting for position, hit him and maybe break his leg?

Also, do you remember when Bowen undercut Carter and Carter was out for a while and extremely pissed off. He also 'bitched' like Spurs fans like to say it. Spurs are a dirty team whether you want to admit it or not.

:mad:

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
No, many Spurs wouldnt last a second playing street ball. Manu would get knocked the F out! Well deserved:biglaugh:

Many Suns NOR Spurs would last a second playin' ball on the streets. There you could lose your life playin' in some areas. It's not that drastic in the league. Guys get payed millions. I think Nash and Manu's games would translate well on the streets.

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
KANIDJA said:
"He was tangled with ya' boy Bell and in typical Manu style went with the contact to try and draw a foul. Ill-advised? Yes. Dirty? No. "

So you agree that he is a flopper and will do everything he can, including injuring someone just to get the call?
I say this because he should know that by flopping there is a big chance that he may land on someone's knee. I mean, it should be in the back of his head, that by falling backwards he could fall on another player that's fighting for position, hit him and maybe break his leg?

Also, do you remember when Bowen undercut Carter and Carter was out for a while and extremely pissed off. He also 'bitched' like Spurs fans like to say it. Spurs are a dirty team whether you want to admit it or not.

:mad:

LOL. Spurs are a dirty team? How long have you watched this game? Do you remember the Pistons of the 80s? Did you watch any of the Lakers/Celtics rivalry games? Ever heard of Thump N Bump? How about Maurice Lucas? You don't know the meanin' of dirty.

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you tell me how old were you when the pistons played in the 80's? You obviously can't remember them that good since you still play ball and should be relatively young. Or are you just trying to make your point?

Shawty

Veteran
Reaction score
KANIDJA said:
Why don't you tell me how old were you when the pistons played in the 80's? You obviously can't remember them that good since you still play ball and should be relatively young. Or are you just trying to make your point?

I remember the Pistons of the 80s VERY well. I was a young kid but I watched them frequently along with the rest of the league. Plus, I like watchin' "vintage" footage. I once had my hands on one of the games in the Pistons/Lakers finals. I remember as far back as the Celts/Rocks finals.

KANIDJA

Registered
Reaction score
Shawty said:
I remember the Pistons of the 80s VERY well. I was a young kid but I watched them frequently along with the rest of the league. Plus, I like watchin' "vintage" footage. I once had my hands on one of the games in the Pistons/Lakers finals. I remember as far back as the Celts/Rocks finals.

Beautiful.

:wave:

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Hey Shawty, look what I found on NBA.com

Player Profile
Manu Ginobili | 20
Position: G
Born: Jul 28, 1977
Height: 6-6 / 1,98
Weight: 205 lbs. / 93,0 kg.

By the way, he flops like every argentinean soccer player, that's the lamest thing in the world to see and that's basically cheating.

But there's one thing Manu doesn't seem to understand : when you play soccer, and you dive, you're a lame cheater landing untouched on the grass like this :

You must be registered for see images

On the other side, when you drive in the paint and flop, you have a big chance to land on someone else and hurting him, because there's always at least 3 guys around you.

The day Flipobili lands on Duncan and ends his season and your title chances, we'll see if you're still so prompt to defend him.

kaesile

Rookie
Reaction score
Shawty said:
Unfortunately for you, I'm not a SPur apologist. It's easy to say such since I'm not a Suns fan.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. You are a Spurs fan who came to a Suns board, and the only posts you have made are in this thread defending Manu Ginobili. Unless our definitions are different, that's an apologist.

My problem with Ginobili is that he had to exaggerate Bell's contact by falling onto Barbosa's knee. Yeah, it's a freak thing and Ginobili surely didn't expect to mess up Barbosa's knee, but the whole point is that as a basketball player you should be aware of your body and what's around you. There is no way you can blame Barbosa for being pissed at Ginobili for the fact that Ginobili didn't need to fall onto Barbosa's knee.

And that's the crux of the argument. Everybody except Spurs fans will say that Ginobili could have prevented himself from falling onto Barbosa's knee. But, since he exaggerates contact so much (or flops, whichever term you prefer), Ginobili ended up crashing into Barbosa.

This is an idiotic thing to do! When you're in traffic, falling to the floor amongst someone's legs is just stupid. It's one thing to take a charge in the clear, but diving to the floor when there are players around you is asking for trouble.

Here's another scenario. What happens if instead of falling onto someone's knee, Ginobili someday falls in traffic, near someone's foot, on a fast break, and his wrist/leg/head gets trampled on or kicked? That's the situation I'm talking about. It's stupid and reckless to overexaggerate contact in certain situations, and it's just crappy luck for the Suns that Ginobili ended up hurting the opponent instead of himself.

OP
OP
devilfan02

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Well put. Unfortunately, Shawty doesn't understand where were coming from. We're not saying manu plays dirty. We ARE saying that he flops excessively and that it finally ended up hurting someone. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but for anyone to say he doesn't ACT to the excess has either never watched him play or are blinded by the truth because their a Spurs fan:stupid:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The worst part about the situation was that the 2nd qtr had ended before Manu jumped to the ground. Manu didn't have the ball, he wasn't trying to draw a charge, he was running towards Bell with his arms forward into Bells chest and then he jumped backwards away from Bell and slid backwards into Barbosa's knee. It's like he was trying to draw a loose ball foul call on Bell, but the period was already over and Barbosa just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. There definately wasn't enough contact to justify Manu flopping to the ground (he was initiating the contact to begin with) and his recklessness and attempt to manipulate the refs into giving him a call has put Barbosa out for 2-3 weeks. Also, Raja Bell is only 6'5 (shorter than Manu) and is 210lbs.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
kaesile said:
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. You are a Spurs fan who came to a Suns board, and the only posts you have made are in this thread defending Manu Ginobili. Unless our definitions are different, that's an apologist.

My problem with Ginobili is that he had to exaggerate Bell's contact by falling onto Barbosa's knee. Yeah, it's a freak thing and Ginobili surely didn't expect to mess up Barbosa's knee, but the whole point is that as a basketball player you should be aware of your body and what's around you. There is no way you can blame Barbosa for being pissed at Ginobili for the fact that Ginobili didn't need to fall onto Barbosa's knee.

And that's the crux of the argument. Everybody except Spurs fans will say that Ginobili could have prevented himself from falling onto Barbosa's knee. But, since he exaggerates contact so much (or flops, whichever term you prefer), Ginobili ended up crashing into Barbosa.

This is an idiotic thing to do! When you're in traffic, falling to the floor amongst someone's legs is just stupid. It's one thing to take a charge in the clear, but diving to the floor when there are players around you is asking for trouble.

Here's another scenario. What happens if instead of falling onto someone's knee, Ginobili someday falls in traffic, near someone's foot, on a fast break, and his wrist/leg/head gets trampled on or kicked? That's the situation I'm talking about. It's stupid and reckless to overexaggerate contact in certain situations, and it's just crappy luck for the Suns that Ginobili ended up hurting the opponent instead of himself.

Nice post, welcome to the board.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
Below is a response I gave to a Spurs fan, on a general NBA board, after I posted a link to the article that started this thread here. The Spurs fan said:

I feel bad for Barbosa, as I feel bad for any player who gets injuried, but it wasn't done on purpose. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that's the case for all injuries really.

My response was:

carrrnuttt said:
I am sure it wasn't done on purpose. Even D'Antoni said so in his quote. It's the fact that it could have been avoided, had not a certain player decide to exaggerate contact by falling down, as he is prone to do. "Flopping like a beached fish" as it were.

Look, I really do admire the man's tenacity and ability to outwork almost everyone on the floor, including his own teammates, but that part of his game needs to "simmer down".

Also, Shawty I'm sure is choosing not to remember the 2003 Western Conference Finals, where the man I would like to refer to as "Floppo the Clown", did a very similar thing to none other than Dirk Nowitzki.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
elindholm said:
It's only a matter of time before Manu gets his ***** a$$ knocked out. Someone will make an example out of him.

I was thinking that too. Had he grown up playing street ball like most of the league, he would have been taught this lesson a long time ago.

Would be too funny to see Artest pistol whip that Euro trash.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05