Bartel

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta admit I'm still not sure on him. He's obviously got the physical edge on Hall, bigger better arm, I'm just not sure how much of his issue is level of play in college that needs coaching as opposed to the mental part of it.

Case in point the long completion to Sampson the Packers announcers said great throw, it was late and underthrown forcing Sampson to wait and reach back. If you watch, the reason it was late is he didn't step into the throw he got his feet crossed up and then with some rush up the middle he just threw the ball without stepping even though he had room to take a step, he was just going to get hit after the release. Still he got the ball there, but it could have been a TD if he got it there sooner.

Then the panic late throw across his body pick in the endzone. He's young that happens a lot to young QB's. If I were Whiz you pretty much have to keep him he's behind Hall in the understanding of the game, but he's ahead of him physically and Max isn't going to get any bigger or stronger armed, Bartel should learn the game and grow that way.

I guess it comes down to if we're comfortable with Skelton as the backup you keep Bartel, and let him develop. I'd probably keep him because either way we have 3 young QB's, but there is something on him he throws off his backfoot a lot.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't give you a pointed analysis of it other than to say I just don't want Hall to see any game action, ever. If he makes 3rd string, so be it

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The interception in the endzone was the fault of the Green Bay announcers. They had just finished saying how good Bartel had looked right before the snap and you know how that works. :)

Good point about the college experience. Neither Skelator nor Bartel went to a professional college program so they are probably behind those that did. On the other hand could it make it easier for CKW to mold them into what he wants them to be?

One thing about Bartel though he's inexperienced as an NFL QB but he's not young at 28. In fact he's about a year and a half older than Kolb.

Bartel went to Grapevine High School near Dallas with former Cards Center Nick Leckey.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought Bartel looked real good last night. Much better than I expected and better than Hall for sure.

No question in my mind he is kept and Hall is gone.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Bartel looked real good last night. Much better than I expected and better than Hall for sure.

No question in my mind he is kept and Hall is gone.

Yeah I'm not arguing Hall is better he's clearly not physically but as DJ said, Bartel is not young. So you start to wonder are the mental mistakes level of competition things, he just hasn't played against this level of athlete before because of where he went to school, or is he just one of those guys who doesn't catch on to the mental part?

I consider mechanics to be mental too, repetition, there was one stretch where he threw 3 in a row off his back foot and in all 3 he didn't have to. Even that last incompletion to Housler yeah it was catchable but high and too hard and he didn't really step into that one either he just sort of winged it out there. I'd like to have seen Rob catch it but the ball was inaccurate he probably isn't getting much out of it after the catch and it was 4th down.

I do really like Housler by the way, so far looks like a terrific pick.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not arguing Hall is better he's clearly not physically but as DJ said, Bartel is not young. So you start to wonder are the mental mistakes level of competition things, he just hasn't played against this level of athlete before because of where he went to school, or is he just one of those guys who doesn't catch on to the mental part?

I consider mechanics to be mental too, repetition, there was one stretch where he threw 3 in a row off his back foot and in all 3 he didn't have to. Even that last incompletion to Housler yeah it was catchable but high and too hard and he didn't really step into that one either he just sort of winged it out there. I'd like to have seen Rob catch it but the ball was inaccurate he probably isn't getting much out of it after the catch and it was 4th down.

I do really like Housler by the way, so far looks like a terrific pick.

You are expecting more from our # 3 QB than I am. He had a good game last night.

With you on Housler. I am actually shocked at how smooth he is. I was expecting a tall skinny guy who would have a tough time with the physical part of the game and get knocked around. He looks comfortable already. At this point looks like an awesome pick.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are expecting more from our # 3 QB than I am. He had a good game last night.

Only because we don't have a proven QB on our roster. I like Kolb quite a bit but I think with an unproven starter you either really like your backup or the #3 becomes important. And Skelton is raw himself. If I were a Carolina fan it would be the same way the first 2 guys are talented but unproven, they better at least consider the #3 needs to be mentally ready to play.

I do think Skelton looks to have improved though he seems to have gained quite a bit from playing last year, much more decisive so far.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Just got done watching the game again. I doubt that Bartel saw it but if he would have thrown the ball into the corner of the EZ it probably would have been a TD for Housler. I like what I see in Bartel. We could be set at QB with Kolb and Skelton/Bartel for a while.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Man-----you guys are REALLY tough on QB's. Kolb, Skelton, and Bartel, all three acquitted themselves well last night. They played the defending SB champs downright evenly, especially in light of the turmoil that WE have to undergo trying to assymilate all the new talent, and new schemes into the process versus what GB's squad had to do.

With what our ENTIRE team did last night, I am not at all disappointed. On the contrary, I am happy that we played them well, and especially that we had a number of players that won some individual battles one-on-one. I am rather pleased at the performance against a VERY good team, especially in light of the fact that we have had to infuse so much new into the picture.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man-----you guys are REALLY tough on QB's. Kolb, Skelton, and Bartel, all three acquitted themselves well last night. They played the defending SB champs downright evenly, especially in light of the turmoil that WE have to undergo trying to assymilate all the new talent, and new schemes into the process versus what GB's squad had to do.

With what our ENTIRE team did last night, I am not at all disappointed. On the contrary, I am happy that we played them well, and especially that we had a number of players that won some individual battles one-on-one. I am rather pleased at the performance against a VERY good team, especially in light of the fact that we have had to infuse so much new into the picture.

Couldn't agree more....Nice post.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In Skelton, Bartel and Hall, we have three very young QB's with a lot of growing pains to experience before they can be considered good enough. (Bartel's forced throw into quadrouple coverage was but one example).

Kolb is only slightly less young and inexperienced.

Which means that all four guys can be put in the same category as "being young with still a lot to learn."

How quickly and thoroughly each QB learns from his mistakes will determine who does or doesn't eventually achieve success.

As of right now - it isn't that Hall is simply not physically as imposing as Skelton or Bartel as much as it is that those 2 guys are outplaying him.

Much like Kolb is outplaying Skelton and Bartel - but only as of right now. With young guys, a lot can change quickly.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Skelton, Bartel and Hall, we have three very young QB's with a lot of growing pains to experience before they can be considered good enough. (Bartel's forced throw into quadrouple coverage was but one example).

Kolb is only slightly less young and inexperienced.

Which means that all four guys can be put in the same category as "being young with still a lot to learn."

How quickly and thoroughly each QB learns from his mistakes will determine who does or doesn't eventually achieve success.

As of right now - it isn't that Hall is simply not physically as imposing as Skelton or Bartel as much as it is that those 2 guys are outplaying him.

Much like Kolb is outplaying Skelton and Bartel - but only as of right now. With young guys, a lot can change quickly.

That's just it Jeff, Bartel is NOT young, he's 28 will be 29 in Feb., he's 1 1/2 years older than Kolb who turns 27 in a few days.

That's why I worry about the mental side of the game for him, at his age it seems like he should have learned to get some of that bad stuff out of his game already, the throwing off the backfoot stuff for example.

Physically he's good enough, not sure he has the mental approach it takes.

My take on #3 QB's is they can be a young project(like Skelton last year) a veteran who you know is capable of playing in a pinch, it can even be a totally different type of QB a runner or something. I'm not sure you can be a project QB though if you're almost 29 years old.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I will take Bartel or Hall as the 3rd. I do not want them to see game action outside of preseason however. Hall would be there in that slot for the next 5 years as he is very young. Bartel only for a couple as he is 28. Either way they are 3rd string and capable if needed. Just don't want them to be needed outside of practice.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will take Bartel or Hall as the 3rd. I do not want them to see game action outside of preseason however. Hall would be there in that slot for the next 5 years as he is very young. Bartel only for a couple as he is 28. Either way they are 3rd string and capable if needed. Just don't want them to be needed outside of practice.

Yeah I think mentally Hall has what it takes to be a #3, I'm not sure he has it physically. Bartel has the physical maybe not the mental. We know Max isn't getting taller etc so the smart thing to do is keep Bartel. If he were 3 years younger I wouldn't even consider it but at his age I almost wonder if it's smarter to wait out cuts etc and see if a younger version of Bartel opens up.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put me in the Kolb, Skelton and Bartel camp. I have nothing against Hall but I do not believe he sees the field well nor has the arm to get the ball there on late reads.

AZCARDSFANATIC

Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah I think mentally Hall has what it takes to be a #3, I'm not sure he has it physically. Bartel has the physical maybe not the mental. We know Max isn't getting taller etc so the smart thing to do is keep Bartel. If he were 3 years younger I wouldn't even consider it but at his age I almost wonder if it's smarter to wait out cuts etc and see if a younger version of Bartel opens up.
He also needs to learn the color of our jersey as not not think we are the opponent and throw multiple interceptions to them............kinda important.

Black T

Reaction score
Solid 3rd stringer

Its funny, I honestly thought Bartel was like a 40 year old veteran. Then I found out hes like 28 and im like WTF?! mustve been confusing him with someone else.

Max is the odd man out. He had his 15 minutes of fame. He can tell his grandchildren how he beat the Saints. Guys just too damn small for the NFL.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
agree Black T. Never questioned Hall's desire and passion to play in the NFL for the Cardinals but he is too small. He should seriously look into Arena League football and I do not mean that in a negative way at all. In that format his arm strength would not be that much of a factor and he would be great

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I keep Bartel over Hall any day of the week.

Bartel has a bunch of upside. Hall is too small and has a noodle arm. I love Hall's heart I just don't think he has a place on this team.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I keep Bartel over Hall any day of the week.

Bartel has a bunch of upside. Hall is too small and has a noodle arm. I love Hall's heart I just don't think he has a place on this team.

Doesn't the #3 QB run the scout team? I thought someone mentioned that Bartel had an edge also because the coaches liked him in that role over Hall.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he has something. But he also makes stupid plays.

I think he's fine for a #3 and worth the attempt to develop.

Great arm. He flings it with ease. So effortless. Wouldn't be surprised if on his knees he still throws as hard as Hall standing up. Maybe not, but it'd be close.