Bidwill Vs Colangelo

100%CardsFan

100% embarrassed
Reaction score
I have been having this discussion with a couple people. Who contributes more to the PHX community? I know it is far fetched but I seriously was wondering if there was any "Stats" that would show yearly contributions on who does or gives more.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The local news had a statistical breakdown on the charitable givings of each of the major four franchises recently.

I do not remember who was the overall leader, but the Coyotes were terrible. Dead last in charity.

The Cardinals were first or second, not that it's a race or a competition.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also help out other NFL teams by donating "wins" to opponents records to help them make the playoffs.

OK - that was bad - I deserve a self-trout. :trout:

Actually under Zendejas the Cards have done a lot more in the community over the past few years. Jim O posts a link or two every week about the Cards in the community.

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
The local news had a statistical breakdown on the charitable givings of each of the major four franchises recently.

I do not remember who was the overall leader, but the Coyotes were terrible. Dead last in charity.

The Cardinals were first or second, not that it's a race or a competition.

When the Coyotes were sold to Ellman/Moyes/Gretzky the previous charitable foundation "Goals for Kids" were not part of the transaction. The Coyotes had to start a new foundation from scratch "Coyotes Charities". I would be interested to see the numbers as of today for all 4 teams.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Icing the buck
Overhead for charity arm of Coyotes threatens franchise image

Sept. 18, 2003 12:00 AM

Every fund-raiser for charity has overhead costs. But when overhead charges reach 69 percent of what is raised, something is afoul.

The tax returns for Coyotes Charities, the fund-raising arm of the Phoenix Coyotes hockey team, show the group spent on itself more than two-thirds of its revenue over the past two years.

That is just wrong. It is an injustice to contributors to the fund, and it blemishes the community image of the Coyotes, whose well-publicized financial woes have obscured the solid- local-citizen profile the team has projected since it first arrived in the Valley in 1996.

Financial trouble on the hockey-business side is no excuse for the kind of expenses Coyotes Charities has racked up.

As reported by The Republic's Craig Harris, the charity paid $37,000 in management fees back to the team in 2002. None of Arizona's other major sports franchises assesses such a fee.

Other expenses of the charitable foundation have included entry fees for golf tournaments sponsored by other charities, and meals at expensive restaurants. One festive evening at Foster's, a restaurant in north Scottsdale, cost the charity $1,811.

The saddest example among the charge-backs was a $20,000 payment the charity made on behalf of owner Steve Ellman so he could attend an event for another charity. While half of Ellman's dues paid to the Fight Night Foundation were earmarked for a charity of his choosing (in this case, Coyotes Charities), it scarcely absolves the act of robbing Peter of $10,000 to pay Paul.

To his credit, new Coyotes President Doug Moss insists things will change. The team's new managers have invested heavily in crafting a sterling new image for the Coyotes that includes a host of new players, new uniforms and, of course, a handsome new arena nearing completion in Glendale.

While Coyotes Charities consistently has been the smallest charitable arm among the Valley's four major sports franchises - it donated less than $160,000 in 2002 while Diamondbacks Charities, for example, distributed $1.4 million - its contributions are important. Among its beneficiaries has been Newspapers in Education, a program run by The Republic that puts newspapers into classrooms.

The team insists charitable giving will increase once its season begins in its new arena. That's welcome news. It will be good to put such discouraging reports on ice.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
To his credit, new Coyotes President Doug Moss insists things will change. The team's new managers have invested heavily in crafting a sterling new image for the Coyotes that includes a host of new players, new uniforms and, of course, a handsome new arena nearing completion in Glendale.
if their charitable contributions are anything like the players they put out on the ice every night.....god help them.

This franchise is just about in ruin

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
DG is a big believer in players giving back to the community he intsalled a system for that in MIN. I am sure he will do so here as well.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
intsalled

installed :cool:

He won't need to. The Cardinals players already give back to the community.

Many of the players donate their money and their time to many local charities regularly.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
DG is a big believer in players giving back to the community he intsalled a system for that in MIN. I am sure he will do so here as well.

Dude before DG came here the Cardinals organization has always been giving. People who doesn't like Billy cause the way he runs his business cannot see the fact that he's more than charitable. Man you need to stop bantering about your "man love" with DG before you say something cause you're statement right there irritated the hell out of me cause you're implying the Cards suck giving back to the community. Do your research about the team before you say something IMO. :mad:

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Dude before DG came here the Cardinals organization has always been giving. People who doesn't like Billy cause the way he runs his business cannot see the fact that he's more than charitable. Man you need to stop bantering about your "man love" with DG before you say something cause you're statement right there irritated the hell out of me cause you're implying the Cards suck giving back to the community. Do your research about the team before you say something IMO. :mad:
yeah vikesfan, its bad enough you used this forum to post your personal ad to try to get dates....but enough with the DG loving....its truely an obsession and I'm down right grossed out about it

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Please don't get irritated etc.
I am not implying the Cards or Cards players have not been giving. I believe Tuesday is the traditional day off for players in the NFL week. DG made all the Vikings players do charitable work on Tuesdays. I was merely suggesting he might install that here as well. :)

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

"man love" :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Yeah I wish the Arizona people were 1/2 as charitable as the Cards Org.

That was a pitiful amount raised during the Monday Night game.

Just awful!

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Yeah I wish the Arizona people were 1/2 as charitable as the Cards Org.

That was a pitiful amount raised during the Monday Night game.

Just awful!

Yeah, most of the people I went with gave between $20-$40. Felt a little bad that we didn't give more, given our seats were on the fifty. Not really sure how one could justify seeing NFL football for free.

A-Bomb

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
As for Mr. Bidwill

people have gone to him and asked him for major donations for their specific needs and he puts up under the condition they don't say where they got it.
That's on top of what the organization does.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

I guess DG is better than everybody at everything isn't he? :rolleyes: