Blaine Gabbert Pro prep for combine vid...

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6141222Just watched his video on espn of his prep for the combine. Looks really solid in this piece. He should go before our pick but would love to get him. Needs a haircut but really looks to be the best Qb in this draft.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
What is it with old people and telling everyone they need haircuts? You think we like seeing hair sprouting out of your ears?

/endcreepyoftopicrant

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
What is it with old people and telling everyone they need haircuts? You think we like seeing hair sprouting out of your ears?

/endcreepyoftopicrant

:D Thought I would throw that in there...ha...I used to have hair that long and the Steven Segal look 20 yrs ago. Hell if he can Qb us back to the Playoffs he can look like Ted Nugent for all I care. I like that the kid has smarts and seems to want to learn the pro game. Hope the Niners don't get him. SunShine....nice

Early

Registered
Reaction score
This guy is horrible. He can make one read and that's it. He sucks beyond that. Besides, he is very inaccurate, even more than Skelton or Anderson. I don't see the hype here at all. If he was accurate and couldn't read the game, i would see the point somewhere, you could teach him perhaps in few years, how to read the progressions. But he lacks both of the skills that are most important for a QB. He can't read, he is inaccurate.

His tapes show nothing interesting or special. I really don't see why he is mentioned in first round. He should be a late rounder based on his skills and what he shows on tape.

Last edited:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
To quote Mike Holmgren last year.. "To be honest with you I wish I liked him more.. I just don't.." Talking about Jimmy Clausen..

imo, he makes me sooooo nervous, he gets happy feet when he throws, his 3rd down conversion % is poor (warnng sign), and when you throw it 475 times and only come away with 16 TDs, I wonder about his accurasy in the red zone..

I understand they ran a certain system and that could be part of the problem.. But to me, to be worthy of the #5 pick in the draft you need to have more than 16-9 ratio while throwing it 475 times...

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
This guy is horrible. He can make one read and that's it. He sucks beyond that. Besides, his is very inaccurate, even more than Skelton or Anderson. I don't see the hype here at all. If he was accurate and couldn't read the game, i would see the point somewhere, you could teach him perhaps in few years, how to read the progressions. But he lacks both of the skills that are most important for a QB. He can't read, he is inaccurate.

His tapes show nothing interesting or special. I really don't see why he is mentioned in first round. He should be a late rounder based on his skills and what he shows on tape.

Good luck with that analysis....most see him top 10 maybe top 5...I guess some people see what they want to see when watching film. I watched nearly every game he played at Mizzou and he is a top talent. I think he will have a learning curve but to say he is not accurate is just bogus on its face and he can learn to read NFL defenses. If he can't he will have a short but profitable career as a top draft choice. He is athletic so he has that going for him. I have seen much worse at the Qb position coming out of the 1st round than this kid

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
This guy is horrible. He can make one read and that's it. He sucks beyond that. Besides, he is very inaccurate, even more than Skelton or Anderson. I don't see the hype here at all. If he was accurate and couldn't read the game, i would see the point somewhere, you could teach him perhaps in few years, how to read the progressions. But he lacks both of the skills that are most important for a QB. He can't read, he is inaccurate.

I'm not in favor of drafting this kid either, but this analysis is total B.S. He is much more accurate than DA and, while I'm not looking at the stat sheets, I'm fairly confident he has a higher career completion percentage than Skelton. I don't think he's the most accurate passer, but he is more accurate than DA for sure.

Your analysis about him being a one read QB is also false. Mizzou and Deleware, while they run a spread offense, is not the typical one read offense. On any given pass play, they require their QBs to make 3-5 progressions. In fact, his ability to go through his progressions is one of the major reasons people have him ranked so high and believe he'll make the transition to the NFL.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
I'm not in favor of drafting this kid either, but this analysis is total B.S. He is much more accurate than DA and, while I'm not looking at the stat sheets, I'm fairly confident he has a higher career completion percentage than Skelton. I don't think he's the most accurate passer, but he is more accurate than DA for sure.

Your analysis about him being a one read QB is also false. Mizzou and Deleware, while they run a spread offense, is not the typical one read offense. On any given pass play, they require their QBs to make 3-5 progressions. In fact, his ability to go through his progressions is one of the major reasons people have him ranked so high and believe he'll make the transition to the NFL.

From what I have seen he is very accurate within 15 yards and can throw a fastball thru a tight window up to 35 yards. Is he Pro polished no but he can and did read progressions against college Defenses as you stated. With the right coaching he will be a top Pro Qb. I do not see us getting him but wouldn't mind if we did. Gotta start building somewhere when you had to rely on the trash at Qb we had to last season.

Early

Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, deleted post, duplicate, read my next post

Last edited:

Early

Registered
Reaction score

It's fair that you don't agree, but nice to call it B.S. The offense may require 3-5 reads, i don't know the exact calls provided to him. But i see him struggle every single time beyond the second read, which is a major red flag for any college QB. They need to show they can go beyond the second confidently and those that can go beyond the third and keep the mechanics of the first have a shot at greatness in NFL. Offense may require one thing, execution is something totally different. He is very bad in anything beyond the first read.

He misses open recievers too often, and that is my problem with Anderson as well as with Skelton with much less degree though. That is a major red flag there as well, when you can't hit open guys, you are inaccurate. It's not just that, it's his inability to place the ball with touch deep that is also showing reflections of inaccuracy.

He may be viewed as top 10, but so have many busts almost every year.

He can become a player (anyone can with hard work, i have no clue about his work ethics). He just won't be any good early on, unless he complete changes his game.

His mechanics are not that bad at all, there is something to work with there, and he is mobile. But two most important things are completely lacking, reading a college defense and accuracy. They are not even there at college level, yet alone NFL.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
It's fair that you don't agree, but nice to call it B.S. The offense may require 3-5 reads, i don't know the exact calls provided to him. But i see him struggle every single time beyond the second read, which is a major red flag for any college QB. They need to show they can go beyond the second confidently and those that can go beyond the third and keep the mechanics of the first have a shot at greatness in NFL. Offense may require one thing, execution is something totally different. He is very bad in anything beyond the first read.

He misses open recievers too often, and that is my problem with Anderson as well as with Skelton with much less degree though. That is a major red flag there as well, when you can't hit open guys, you are inaccurate. It's not just that, it's his inability to place the ball with touch deep that is also showing reflections of inaccuracy.

He may be viewed as top 10, but so have many busts almost every year.

He can become a player (anyone can with hard work). He just won't be any good early on, unless he complete changes his game.

His mechanics are not that bad at all, there is something to work with there, and he is mobile. But two most important things are completely lacking, reading a college defense and accuracy. They are not even there at college level, yet alone NFL.

I take it you really haven't watched him all that much. He consistently goes through more than 1 or 2 reads, and he usually makes the right decision with where to go with the ball, where he struggles is ball placement in tight windows, but he rarely misses his open receivers.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I take it you really haven't watched him all that much. He consistently goes through more than 1 or 2 reads, and he usually makes the right decision with where to go with the ball, where he struggles is ball placement in tight windows, but he rarely misses his open receivers.

I havent evaluated Gabbert much but one of the assets Ive heard over and over by multiple analysts on Sirius NFL radio is that he is capable of going through his progressions and making at least 3 reads when given time.

The one guy in the draft with whom I dont feel confident in making reads is Newton. He is a two-read and run quarterback. IMO, he wont be NFL ready his first season given the fact that he'll need to adjust to a pro ready offense and he is only 2 years removed from playing NJCAA ball.

Early

Registered
Reaction score

I have watched him too much. It's not fun more, because there is nothing to see, it's on to the next guy. He is one of the most inaccurate QB's you get to see.

Chase Daniels was in the same system, exact, and did much better, stat wise or just what you see on tapes. He isn't a good NFL QB, at least not yet, may develop into one, who knows. Gabbert is just a bit taller and with a strong arm, and mobile, and immediately the hype builds up, it's amazing.

But Gabbert needs alot of work with everything from reads to accuracy. He is not even decent on college level when we speak about reads and accuracy. Also what he lacks is touch, he has no sense on where to put the ball to make the YAC's easier or so that the reciever can get the easier catch.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen much of Gabbert so I have no opinion but I have to ask, are you still high on Jimmy Clausen after his year?

Gil Brandt came out recently saying Carolina should pick Newton #1 overall and apparently the rumor is that Carolina thinks Clausen is so immature they may have another Cade McNown situation where he's eventually dumped because nobody on the team likes him. the GM recently gave him the dreaded vote of confidence and said they haven't given up on him yet and he recently had foot surgery but even that apparently was not in his favor.

I just read they won't take Gabbert but they apparently are strongly considering a QB.

I knew Clausen wouldn't be their long term guy but it's amazing if true I think they will be reaching for any QB they take 1st overall and they are going to have to pass on talents like Fairly or Green that would REALLY fill needs they have on that roster.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I haven't seen much of Gabbert so I have no opinion but I have to ask, are you still high on Jimmy Clausen after his year?

Gil Brandt came out recently saying Carolina should pick Newton #1 overall and apparently the rumor is that Carolina thinks Clausen is so immature they may have another Cade McNown situation where he's eventually dumped because nobody on the team likes him. the GM recently gave him the dreaded vote of confidence and said they haven't given up on him yet and he recently had foot surgery but even that apparently was not in his favor.

I just read they won't take Gabbert but they apparently are strongly considering a QB.

I knew Clausen wouldn't be their long term guy but it's amazing if true I think they will be reaching for any QB they take 1st overall and they are going to have to pass on talents like Fairly or Green that would REALLY fill needs they have on that roster.

These are very good points...talent is one thing...persona and leadership are another.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Here's my thing...

I want a tough SOB as my QB.

Warner was a tough SOB.

Gabbert?

Don't see it.

Skelton?

I see it...and I am totally impressed by it.

OP
OP
Rats

Rats

Reaction score
Here's my thing...

I want a tough SOB as my QB.

Warner was a tough SOB.

Gabbert?

Don't see it.

Skelton?

I see it...and I am totally impressed by it.

Mitch, the kid played his entire Sophmore year on one leg and threw for over 3000 yards. He never missed a start in his College career and played behind a terrible Oline as a Juinor and had to scramble alot. Looked pretty tough to me.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are very good points...talent is one thing...persona and leadership are another.

Yeah Clausen went from top 10 to 2nd round after interviews at the combine because nobody liked him, he came off as aloof, immature and they were concerned he seemed unprepared to answer questions.

What struck me as amazing is given all the character issues surrounding Newton they're apparently considering taking him #1 overall. Which says 2 things, they must really like Newton's talent to risk the first pick on him with his past. And they must REALLY be down on Clausen if they're considering taking a guy with Newton's issues that high.

Green or Fairley would be such a great pick for them so if they take Newton they either LOVE him, or really don't like Clausen.

If Newton goes that high I think it's likely Gabbert is there when we pick, I haven't seen him enough to have an opinion.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score
I think I'd still prefer Christian Ponder or Rick Stanzi later. No QB in this draft is ready to start day one and I think that Ponder and Stanzi have as good a chance to become quality starters as Gabbert.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
There's a lot of stuff said about this kid, most of it I take with a grain of salt, I'm more interested in what the pros think about him because I know what I think about him.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think I'd still prefer Christian Ponder or Rick Stanzi later. No QB in this draft is ready to start day one and I think that Ponder and Stanzi have as good a chance to become quality starters as Gabbert.

I like Ponder and think he would be an excellent choice. I just think that if we want him we might have to take him on the 2nd round.