Bob Kemp on Shaun King on KDUS

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Can we please stop comparing Delhomme and McCown. Delhomme is something like a six-year veteran who played behind other, better QBs his entire career until halfway through this season. McCown will be entering his third season. They're totally incomperable. If you want to compare McCown to someone, take a look at Aaron Brooks, whom Delhomme played behind in New Orleans.

Brooks started off kind of hot, got himself a big contract extention, and now he's the weak link on his offense. McCown could be the same for us, especially if we don't have a backup plan in place.

What is Brooks doing that makes him the weak link in the Saints offense? Is it something you have seen McKown do? Any specifics that I could look for on the tapes of Josh's 3 starts? Why would McKown be comparable to Brooks but not Delhomme?

BTW: I would be ecstatic if McKown put up the kind of numbers in 2004 that Brooks had last season. 3,546 yds. 24TD's with only 8 INT and an 88.8 QB rating. After what we've seen from our QB's the last 5 years those would seem like Hall of Fame numbers.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
What is Brooks doing that makes him the weak link in the Saints offense? Is it something you have seen McKown do? Any specifics that I could look for on the tapes of Josh's 3 starts? Why would McKown be comparable to Brooks but not Delhomme?

(1) Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn are the strong links in the Saints' offense. Brooks was called out this season because of a lack of a killer instinct, a hurting arm, etc. There was some question that Haslett didn't want to bench Brooks at the end of the season and have the backup do well and cause a QB controversy. He was also fumbling all the time.

(2A) Because Brooks and McCown are both physical specimens that let their athleticism make up for their lack of finish. (2B) Both had a few good games early, and took starting jobs with no backup plan in place. (2C) Both take too many sacks and fumble too much.

Delhomme was a savvy vet that was looking for a starting job that he could compete for after he reached free agency. He bares no resemblance to the third-year player that the Cards have atop the depth chart right now, except the most superficial and lack of critical acclaim.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Kerouac-

Do you actually believe the stuff you post, or do you throw it out and hope no one notices?

"Delhomme was a savvy vet looking for a starting job."

Hmmm...Delhomme started two games for the Saints in 1999, then he didn't play AT ALL for two years, then in 2002 he got in 4 games long enough to complete 8 passes, that savvy vet.

Then he went to a team with an offensive line, and allofasudden he's "the next franchise quarterback."

If McCown were to be considered equal to Delhomme at this point in his career, Josh would not have played AT ALL last year, would not be playing AT ALL THIS year, and would get in enough games NEXT YEAR, to complete 8 passes.

Is this what you mean by "no resemblance to the player we have at the top of our depth chart?"

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
(1) Deuce McAllister and Joe Horn are the strong links in the Saints' offense. Brooks was called out this season because of a lack of a killer instinct, a hurting arm, etc. There was some question that Haslett didn't want to bench Brooks at the end of the season and have the backup do well and cause a QB controversy. He was also fumbling all the time.

(2A) Because Brooks and McCown are both physical specimens that let their athleticism make up for their lack of finish. (2B) Both had a few good games early, and took starting jobs with no backup plan in place. (2C) Both take too many sacks and fumble too much.

Delhomme was a savvy vet that was looking for a starting job that he could compete for after he reached free agency. He bares no resemblance to the third-year player that the Cards have atop the depth chart right now, except the most superficial and lack of critical acclaim.

If I correctly understand: what you are saying is that McKown shouldn't be compared to Delhomme because the latter is nothing more than a journeyman level QB who got lucky in signing with the Panthers and rode the Carolina defense to an NFC championship while McKown is a gifted athlete who has yet to show if he has an NFL caliber mind to go along with his physical talent?

Of the two I would rather have McKown. You can learn to read defenses and make the proper decisions in running through your progressions. Especially under Dennis Green. You can't learn to throw or run like McKown.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Lex said:
Kerouac-

Do you actually believe the stuff you post, or do you throw it out and hope no one notices?

"Delhomme was a savvy vet looking for a starting job."

Hmmm...Delhomme started two games for the Saints in 1999, then he didn't play AT ALL for two years, then in 2002 he got in 4 games long enough to complete 8 passes, that savvy vet.

Then he went to a team with an offensive line, and allofasudden he's "the next franchise quarterback."

If McCown were to be considered equal to Delhomme at this point in his career, Josh would not have played AT ALL last year, would not be playing AT ALL THIS year, and would get in enough games NEXT YEAR, to complete 8 passes.

Is this what you mean by "no resemblance to the player we have at the top of our depth chart?"

Delhomme was or was not an NFL veteran after he left the New Orleans Saints? He was viewed as a talented player who might be able to be a solid starter. That's what he became. He was more comperable to someone like maybe Jay Feeley or something. One of those guys who needed some time to adjust to the game. I don't know anyone who's called him "the next franchise quarterback." I think it's pretty obvious that he's more of a field general type than someone like Peyton Manning.

In 1999, his third year in the league (1997 street FA), Delhomme started two games, going 42 for 76 for three TDs and six picks.

What I'm saying is that Delhomme and McCown bear no resemblance to each other in any way, and so they shouldn't really be referred to each other. When people compare the two, I don't know what they're talking about. Personally, I don't really know a player that I'd compare McCown to. Quincy Carter usually springs to mind, because I think that him and Josh have a lot of similarities, but I don't know. As for the trajectory of his career, I have no idea.

What I do know is that as players, I don't think that Josh McCown bear any resemblance to those that many reference along with him: Tom Brady, Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, and Brad Johnson.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
If I correctly understand: what you are saying is that McKown shouldn't be compared to Delhomme because the latter is nothing more than a journeyman level QB who got lucky in signing with the Panthers and rode the Carolina defense to an NFC championship while McKown is a gifted athlete who has yet to show if he has an NFL caliber mind to go along with his physical talent?

Of the two I would rather have McKown. You can learn to read defenses and make the proper decisions in running through your progressions. Especially under Dennis Green. You can't learn to throw or run like McKown.

You would rather have McCown over Brooks? What do you see in McCown that Brooks doesnt have?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
You would rather have McCown over Brooks? What do you see in McCown that Brooks doesnt have?

No I'd rather have McCown over Delhomme. I would like to see McCown put up numbers similar to what Brooks had at NO last year. It would be, I think, the best year a Cardinal QB has had in at least 5 years.

I think that McCown throws a better pass and is a better runner than Delhomme. Simply a better physical talent. Don't know enough about the Carolina offense and haven't seen Josh in enough games to make any comment on their ability to "lead" an offense.

Last edited:

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We also havn't seen Josh when he has had an entire offseason of practice as the #1.

It makes a difference as he gets a chance to work with his recievers and they develop together. I suspect it wasn't an accident he went to Nat ein the lsat game, it was probably that he had a better feel for where Nate would be having practiced with him more.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh please Brooks has been a starter for years. Going through typical young QB syndrome. He actually is doing pretty well. He is ahead of Josh. Let Josh be a starter for a couple years.
He is more like Delholme in terms of playing time but again Delholme is older and has been around for more years soaking in the NFL.
Josh is a young QB in terms of playing time in the NFL. People need to be realistic and patient.

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Oh please Brooks has been a starter for years. Going through typical young QB syndrome. He actually is doing pretty well. He is ahead of Josh. Let Josh be a starter for a couple years.
He is more like Delholme in terms of playing time but again Delholme is older and has been around for more years soaking in the NFL.
Josh is a young QB in terms of playing time in the NFL. People need to be realistic and patient.

Oh please.

Yes.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Actually Kerouac the Saints did and still do have a backup plan in place. His name was Jake Delhomme and when he left they brought in Todd Bouman. The Saints mediocrity is mostly due to the play of their defense, not Aaron Brooks although I agree with you his actions and play always seems lacksadasical or lazy, something which I have yet to see from McCown. I don't think anyone was comparing McCown to Delhomme, Johnson, Brady or Warner from the standpoint that they're similar players; just that they like Josh are not what some consider prototypical 'franchise' QBs according to draft position and other factors.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05