Boldin Misses Practice

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
azcardsfan1616 said:
BTW Cardiholic dont laugh i expect big things from LeRon. I picked him as my 5th round pick for the cards in my mock. He will be the teams #3 WR before the end of the year. The guy can blaze. He reminds me of NE's Bethel Johnson. They guy can do it all. Definately open up the field for the slot WR.

I take it you watched a lot of Indiana (PA) college games? Otherwise how would you know that? I can't say I know a thing about that school, what conference they play in, their mascot, who they have played etc etc.

I seriously doubt a 7th round pick with past attitude problems from a small school will take over Bryant Johnson's spot on the team this season. The best we can hope from him is as our 4th WR and on special teams but I don't even see him being there yet THIS year...maybe next year with a full years practice and a year wiser.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
I watched Ward all of last year and would take him over all those guys, my Boldin comparison is to Chris Carter.

You'd take Ward over TO, Harrison, Moss and Holt? Not me, Ward is good but those guys are the best in the game right now.

I'm not talking about how nice a guy he is but based solely on his on field production.

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
Zeno said:
You'd take Ward over TO, Harrison, Moss and Holt? Not me, Ward is good but those guys are the best in the game right now.

I'm not talking about how nice a guy he is but based solely on his on field production.

Neither am I, Moss and Harrison don't block, and TO does it when he feels like it.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
BigDavis75 said:
Neither am I, Moss and Harrison don't block, and TO does it when he feels like it.

Blocking is a secondary job of a WR, you don't game plan for a WRs blocking.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i keep hearing people say that Quan wants Fitz type money, and this situation came about because of the team drafting Fitz. Does anyone honestly believe that had the team not taken Fitz, then Boldin would not have wanted this money?

I mean the guy WAS THE OFFENSE in 2003. I really like the guy, but there is no way we should break the bank on any player. If TO and MOSS can get traded (i dont think Quan is like either player mind you) then Q has to realize that he is treading on thin ice.

seesred

Reaction score
This is what coach Green had to say when asked about Q..After having our first voluntary practice a reporter asked why didn't Q show up and he said.

"I think the significance is that he feels that he should have a new contract," coach Dennis Green said of Boldin’s absence. "And we feel that he should have a new contract extension, too, so that hasn't changed.

"We said it a long time ago, so it's been over a year since we said it, and it's just unfortunate that we haven't been able to reach an agreement on it."

Q is doing what he needs to do to protect himself, the club has agreed that it's the right thing to do. Q is important to us. He is the best reciever we have and has proven it in 2003 and when he came back in 2004 almost passing Fritz in half season. Let's not knock him so badly you and I if we had the talent would do the very same thing. I'm 100% behind Q and IMO a deal will get done. Some sound like we have won something and don't need Q's talent. Folks we haven't won a thing yet and we need every part to work.

GBR

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Boldin is a great player. Sitting out and abandoning your team when you've played 1.5 season is selfish. Boldin was a 2nd round pick and he was paid like one. It's fortunate that he proved to be better, but that's just how things work for all of us in life.

My opinion is that the Cards should split the difference between what Boldin's making and what Fitz is making and pay him the middle. Problem is that Boldin has hired a greedy agent and they won't stop there.

I'll tell you one thing, I won't be getting a Boldin jersey -- not because I don't like him but because who knows if he'll be around. He chooses not to participate.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
seesred said:
Q is doing what he needs to do to protect himself, the club has agreed that it's the right thing to do.

I seriously doubt the club agrees with what he is doing.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
clif said:
i keep hearing people say that Quan wants Fitz type money, and this situation came about because of the team drafting Fitz. Does anyone honestly believe that had the team not taken Fitz, then Boldin would not have wanted this money?

I mean the guy WAS THE OFFENSE in 2003. I really like the guy, but there is no way we should break the bank on any player. If TO and MOSS can get traded (i dont think Quan is like either player mind you) then Q has to realize that he is treading on thin ice.

Good point. I wouldn't object to trading Boldin for a speedster receiver to round out the receiving corps. This team survived after they lost David Boston and Denny and the Cards can survive without Boldin (they did for half a season last year).

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
AZCARDINALS4EVA said:
If this contract does NOT get done with boldin to a long term deal, we know hes gone after 2 years, obvioulsy, you will see him walk. Thats why its so damn hard to buy into this team with the bidwills (probably did pronounce their names wrong, but they aren't worth the change) runing the show. being a fan since they moved here and gone to every single game. Uggg!!! Supposedly its "greens show" so if he cant get it done then NO BODY WILL and it will be the same old cardinals, (great players) for a year or 2 then them leaving, come on guys look at our history. So true. GO CARDINALS!

Who cares? I like Boldin too but face facts, the guy has two bummed knees and wants to get a deal for life in case he blows another one week 1 and never plays again.

No thanks. Cut him before giving him a huge contract imo.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seesred said:
This is what coach Green had to say when asked about Q..After having our first voluntary practice a reporter asked why didn't Q show up and he said.

"I think the significance is that he feels that he should have a new contract," coach Dennis Green said of Boldin’s absence. "And we feel that he should have a new contract extension, too, so that hasn't changed.

"We said it a long time ago, so it's been over a year since we said it, and it's just unfortunate that we haven't been able to reach an agreement on it."

Q is doing what he needs to do to protect himself, the club has agreed that it's the right thing to do. Q is important to us. He is the best reciever we have and has proven it in 2003 and when he came back in 2004 almost passing Fritz in half season. Let's not knock him so badly you and I if we had the talent would do the very same thing. I'm 100% behind Q and IMO a deal will get done. Some sound like we have won something and don't need Q's talent. Folks we haven't won a thing yet and we need every part to work.

GBR

Well said.

I believe a deal will get done. I'll reserve my judgement for a while longer.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
graves said on nfl total access that they are working on a contract extension with boldin. that the cardinals want boldin around for a long time. ussally these kind of deals get done near or during training camp. so look for a deal get done then.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards notebook: Unhappy Boldin a no-show

By Darren Urban, Tribune

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin, unhappy with his contract, did not show up at the team’s voluntary workouts Monday. That was expected. And it’s possible he will skip the team’s mandatory minicamp beginning Friday.
"I think there’s nothing I can say about it, to be honest with you," coach Dennis Green said. "We said a long time ago we were interested in extending Anquan’s contract. We said the same thing last season and we say the same thing now."

The only other player missing Monday was tackle L.J. Shelton, whom the Cardinals are trying to trade. Shelton did show up later in the day to speak to Green, although Shelton declined to comment on his situation.

Receiver Bryant Johnson told the team he wouldn’t make it because he was back at Penn State finishing up schoolwork to get his degree.

Boldin told the Tribune last week that "when everything is said and done, my plan is to be in camp." But he was clearly wavering, and it had been anticipated he would skip offseason work because of a lack of progress toward a contract resolution.

Boldin’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said last week he wasn’t commenting on the situation.

Rosenhaus has been pushing for a new contract as opposed to a straight extension. Boldin’s current contract had a signing bonus of $1.2 million and pays him salaries of $380,000 and $460,000 the next two seasons.

Green wouldn’t speculate on whether he thought Boldin would come to minicamp, other than to say "everyone gets an invitation to be here and we hope everyone who gets an invitation to be here will be here."

Not surprisingly, Boldin’s absence didn’t bother his teammates. "Everyone understands the business part of it," quarterback Kurt Warner said. Fellow receiver Larry Fitzgerald added Boldin didn’t have to prove himself anymore.

"Everyone in this locker room knows what he is capable of," Fitzgerald said. "He’s a Pro Bowl-caliber player. He’s going to be here when it counts, hopefully. I hope he gets what he wants, because this is a cutthroat business and you’ve got to try to get it when you can."

CLEMENT GONE

Veteran tackle Anthony Clement finally was released Monday, no surprise given his slide down the depth chart last season. Cutting Clement, whom the Cards tried to trade over draft weekend, will save the Cards $2.4 million in salary. But because they chose to cut him before June 1, the remaining $1.2 million of his prorated signing bonus counts against the team’s 2005 salary cap.

It’s also looking like Shelton will eventually be cut if the team can’t find a trade partner, although it almost certainly won’t happen before June 1.

EXTRA POINTS

The Cardinals signed three NFL free agents Monday: tackles Ian Allen (with the Eagles in 2004) and Adam Haayer (Vikings), and cornerback Raymond Walls (Ravens). The team also brought back kicker Matt Fordyce, whom the team cut in training camp last season. . . .

Running back Troy Hambrick, who could never get his favorite jersey No. 22 in the NFL because he was always playing behind Emmitt Smith in both Dallas and Arizona, has reclaimed it.

"I knew I didn’t like 47," Hambrick said about his old number. "It was too close to 50. I was already close to the 250 (pound) range, so I wanted to get down and feel slim a little bit. I am catching hell from the guys about it, but who better than Emmitt to represent yourself behind." . . .

Tackle Leonard Davis (knee) and running back Marcel Shipp (ankle) sat out Monday. Neither has been cleared by doctors to practice after their respective surgeries.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=40260

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Lets not hate on the Quan it is too early yet, but Cheese was right on. I dont want to see a bunch of posts about what a scum bag Rosenhaus is w/o at least acknowledging that Quan is every bit as guilty!

Blame for a holdout falls on both Quan and Rosensleeze.

QUILTY of What?

Hiring someone to represent his best interests.

When the hell did that become indictable?

He, and many others - hire Rosenhaus because he gets the job done, period.

What could possibly be wrong with that.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boldin’s current contract had a signing bonus of $1.2 million and pays him salaries of $380,000 and $460,000 the next two seasons.

Sorry but those #s are just sick for a guy that produces like Boldin. He definately deserves a raise. How much is the qustion!

swd,

You saying he has two bumb knees is laughable.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NavyVet said:
I think they had every intention of giving Quan a nice deal, just had to wait to pull some things together and see what they had left to offer. Then Quan goes and hires Rosenhaus. What was originally a show of respect by the Cards, ends up in greed with Quan. Bad, bad move.

As I've stated before, Hines Ward makes 1.67 million per year and IMO is a far superior player and possesses two good knees. The Steelers I've heard will renegotiate his contract and that Ward will average 3 million/yr. If Quan thinks he's worth more than that, well.....

Sort of agree but I don't think Quan hiring Rosenhaus is what started this. I think Quan's knee injury and how it was handled is what caused Quan to go and hire Rosenhaus.

Quan in my opinion felt he was pushed into practicing when the extent of his knee injury really wasn't known, it locked up, and he needed the surgery. In his mind he did precisely what he was told. When the injury turned out fairly serious, the Cards suddenly were hesitant to continue with the plan of extending him(which was supposed to happen LAST season). So in Quan's mind they went from extending him in year 2 to making him wait and prove he was healthy, because they pushed him into practicing when he wasn't healthy.

Whether that's true or not is debatable but I'm convinced that's what Quan thinks and that's why he fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus. he decided he was not in a position where he could trust the Cards to take care of him, so he went and hired himself an assassin.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
like all the gm, coaches, and players have said, when it is time to get yours then get it. the bottom line in this boldin deal is he one of the best wide outs in the nfl, so he needs to get paid like one of the best. a interesting thing is terrell owens and anquan boldin have the same agent. don't worry everyone this deal will get done. might not be right away, but sometime during training camp. definitly after june.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Sort of agree but I don't think Quan hiring Rosenhaus is what started this. I think Quan's knee injury and how it was handled is what caused Quan to go and hire Rosenhaus.

Quan in my opinion felt he was pushed into practicing when the extent of his knee injury really wasn't known, it locked up, and he needed the surgery. In his mind he did precisely what he was told. When the injury turned out fairly serious, the Cards suddenly were hesitant to continue with the plan of extending him(which was supposed to happen LAST season). So in Quan's mind they went from extending him in year 2 to making him wait and prove he was healthy, because they pushed him into practicing when he wasn't healthy.

Whether that's true or not is debatable but I'm convinced that's what Quan thinks and that's why he fired his agent and hired Rosenhaus. he decided he was not in a position where he could trust the Cards to take care of him, so he went and hired himself an assassin.

Thats an accurate version of what occured Russ. I still dont know hwy you guys call that injury "serioous" though. As far as knee injuries go its fairly minor. Any knee injury where you can come back that same year is pretty minor.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Thats an accurate version of what occured Russ. I still dont know hwy you guys call that injury "serioous" though. As far as knee injuries go its fairly minor. Any knee injury where you can come back that same year is pretty minor.

Good point. What I meant was the original reports were it was a minor injury he'd get it scoped and be back in a couple of weeks. then it turned out that it was much more serious than that and he'd miss several months.

Obviously it was nothing like the ACL injury he'd already overcome in college.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Boldin’s current contract had a signing bonus of $1.2 million and pays him salaries of $380,000 and $460,000 the next two seasons.

swd,

You saying he has two bumb knees is laughable.

Oh he doesnt Doctor Shane? Please enlighten us withyour brilliance.

On the plus side, by not being here now or possibly in training camp he cant get injured there. I say sign him before the last pre season game if you do at all.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Great post. Food for thought.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Oh he doesnt Doctor Shane? Please enlighten us withyour brilliance.

On the plus side, by not being here now or possibly in training camp he cant get injured there. I say sign him before the last pre season game if you do at all.

No he doesnt. He has two completely healthy knees. As proven by his play on the field and no setbacks during the off-season. He has had knee injuries in the past as had more than half the people that play football.

Do you say Edgerrin JAmes has a Bumb knee? Did you say Jerry Rice had a bumb knee when he was putting up pro-bowl #s following his injury? Would you say that Willis Mcgahee had a bumb knee when he racked up 1300 yards last year? The list could go on and on.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Shane H said:
No he doesnt. He has two completely healthy knees. As proven by his play on the field and no setbacks during the off-season. He has had knee injuries in the past as had more than half the people that play football.

Do you say Edgerrin JAmes has a Bumb knee? Did you say Jerry Rice had a bumb knee when he was putting up pro-bowl #s following his injury? Would you say that Willis Mcgahee had a bumb knee when he racked up 1300 yards last year? The list could go on and on.

oh should I get into this and list everyone who's injuries came back to haunt them and end their playing days?

I guess its easy to say "give him all the money in the world" when it isnt yorus. But Im not ready to sell the future for Boldin either as yoru ready to do. We will need money for a QB next year and they ain't cheap. And you want us to pay 5 billion a year on recievers alone. Let alone one with past injuries.

I think its fairly certain if we gave Boldin a fitz contrcat that we will have paid more for our top 3 wr's than any team ever.

No thank you!

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
oh should I get into this and list everyone who's injuries came back to haunt them and end their playing days?

I guess its easy to say "give him all the money in the world" when it isnt yorus. But Im not ready to sell the future for Boldin either as yoru ready to do. We will need money for a QB next year and they ain't cheap. And you want us to pay 5 billion a year on recievers alone. Let alone one with past injuries.

I think its fairly certain if we gave Boldin a fitz contrcat that we will have paid more for our top 3 wr's than any team ever.

No thank you!
Im not saying give him the world. Or Fitz money for that matter. But the fact is he deserves a raise(a hefty one). To do nothing is silly and bad business. The Cards apparently agree. But your right if his demands are to high then let him walk.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
swd1974 said:

Also most of those show right away and dont ever revert back to form after the injury.