Boldin out 8-12 weeks

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
az jam said:
Looks like we will be picking low again in next years draft.

And with no running game, his best WR gone and the others being rookies, injured or below average, we won't get a good read on what McCown is capable of going into free agency.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
And with no running game, his best WR gone and the others being rookies, injured or below average, we won't get a good read on what McCown is capable of going into free agency.

That, is an outstanding point.

Ugh.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Does Murphy's Law only apply to the Cardinals or something?! Sheesh

:computer:

I guess the only good news that comes from this was that this found very early in preseason so its possible he could just miss 4 games. We can only hope now that someone steps up for the duration of Boldin's recovery

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The point in bringing him back?

#1 His presence will automatically help our other two young receivers learn the right way to do things.

#2 Holding him out an entire year hinders his development, unless you think he has reached a plateau.

#3 Even at 0-6, the Cardinals are a professional football team and it is their responsibility to try to win the remaining 8 games.

#4 Once an injury is healed, it is just as bad to "baby it" as it is to "come back too soon"

I could list more but there isn't any point. This is purely a developmental year. The Cardinals going to the playoffs was pure kool-aid talk. This team wasn't going to the playoffs with Q because there are simply too many questions and we are too young now on offense.

Q needs to be back to be part of that developmental process.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
I am greatly disappointed. I thought we would be able to spread the defense out this year with Boldin, Fitz, and Johnson, but I refuse to believe that one man, even Boldin, can make that much difference in a football game. We still will have the other two. Bryant Johnson was improving at the end of last year and will only be better this year. Fitz was and still is the 3rd overall pick and one of the best receivers to come out of college in awhile. We have a new Dennis Green offense that should open the field up regardless of who is starting at receiver. We still have receivers like Poole and Kasper that catch what is thrown to them, and we have an improving burner in Gilmore. I can't say that our offense will not suffer with Boldin’s temporary setback (He will probably not even miss half of the games this year) but, even the great Boldin couldn't single handedly win games for us.

Anyway, he will be returning fresh for the last 10 games and the playoff run ;)

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
I just saw on the scroll at the bottom of NFL Live that they think he may be back in time for the opener......can't be.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
#3 Even at 0-6, the Cardinals are a professional football team and it is their responsibility to try to win the remaining 8 games.

Last I checked each team plays 16 games on the NFL schedule ;)

Just messing with you. I agree with your points

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Conservatively first game back is 6th game, Seattle, in Arizona October 24th.

That's 74 days or just over 10 weeks, I split the difference on 8-12 weeks.

That means he misses the Rams, the Pats, the Falcons, the Saints and the 49ers.

I think we can be 2-3 at that point, beat the 49ers steal a win from the Saints, Rams or Falcons. I'd be pretty disappointed if we're 0-5 at that point the Pats are the only REALLY good team in the first 5.

And of course Quan is not exactly normal, he may very well come back faster than we expect.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
deep breath...............

I am guessing that Game 6, after the bye week, is when Q returns. Thats like 10.5 weeks of recovery. Q misses 5 games and is ready to go for the rest of the season.

As much as this sucks, it could have been much worse.

Lets hope the defense is much better than expected.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
I just saw on the scroll at the bottom of NFL Live that they think he may be back in time for the opener......can't be.

Their still going on the old news of the meniscus (sp?) tear.

The new injuries were found during the operation for the small tear.

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:
The point in bringing him back?

#1 His presence will automatically help our other two young receivers learn the right way to do things.

#2 Holding him out an entire year hinders his development, unless you think he has reached a plateau.

#4 Once an injury is healed, it is just as bad to "baby it" as it is to "come back too soon"

I could list more but there isn't any point. This is purely a developmental year. The Cardinals going to the playoffs was pure kool-aid talk. This team wasn't going to the playoffs with Q because there are simply too many questions and we are too young now on offense.

Q needs to be back to be part of that developmental process.
The remaining 10 games? :D

But probably you're right, not for the whole year. I'd hate to see him rushed though.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
Johnsons gonna have to show why he was a 1st round pick then.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
That, is an outstanding point.

Ugh.

I can see it now. McCown, while playing behind a garbage OLine made up of rookies and overweight guys, handing off to a geriatric RB, and throwing to a rookie and a guy who was in a cast all camp, inevitably struggles and draws the ire of the clueless Phoenix-metro fan base. In order to please fans and get more butts in the seats, the Bidwills manuever the team into drafting Andrew Walter.

Prognosis: Another decade of losing.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Last I checked each team plays 16 games on the NFL schedule ;)

Just messing with you. I agree with your points

Doh!

It all sounded so good! :trout:

cards 24-7-365

Registered
Reaction score
A meniscus repair means he will be on crutches for at least 6 weeks (some doctors order 8 weeks) to allow for the meniscus to heal. Usually in these cases the meniscus is stitched back together and bearing weight on the knee can (before six weeks)potentially tear the stitches.

I would estimate (I am an athletic trainer, just like Jim O's dad) that he would need an additional 4-6 weeks of rehabilitation (after the 6 weeks on crutches) to get the muscle back in the quadriceps (it will atrophy a ton when immobilized) During that last 2-4 weeks he would have to start running and trying to get back into football shape.

In the long term, this is a better option than removing part of the meniscus. We don't want another Wadsworth. Just an interesting observation: look at Florida State guys in the NFL - it seems that many of them (more than normal) have serious knee injuries - Wadsworth and Boulware both have had microfracture.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
What is it with the Cardinals and knee injuries?

Has any Cardinal player come back from knee surgery to play as well or better for the Cardinals than they did before their injury? Just asking.

Swann,Wadsworth,Smith,Hearst,Boston,KVB..In fact somewhere there was an article about team injuries and the Cards had a very high number of knee area incidents.

Heck all the Cards had to do was DRAFT Joe Namath and his knees went bad.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Not surprised one bit.

Every year this team loses 2 starters before the season even starts.

But Boldin has been hurt before and knows what it takes to come back from injury.

BUT THIS SUX! Why does our best player gotta go down?
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :cry:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Conservatively first game back is 6th game, Seattle, in Arizona October 24th.

That's 74 days or just over 10 weeks, I split the difference on 8-12 weeks.

That means he misses the Rams, the Pats, the Falcons, the Saints and the 49ers.

I think we can be 2-3 at that point, beat the 49ers steal a win from the Saints, Rams or Falcons. I'd be pretty disappointed if we're 0-5 at that point the Pats are the only REALLY good team in the first 5.

And of course Quan is not exactly normal, he may very well come back faster than we expect.
This actually made me feel a little better.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Can't do anything now, but somebody has to step up for this team and become one of the leader, they don't have to be a rah rah leader but just be a silent type leader like Quan. :(

DbaxJ

I was lost but now I'm found
Reaction score
cards 24-7-365 said:
A meniscus repair means he will be on crutches for at least 6 weeks (some doctors order 8 weeks) to allow for the meniscus to heal. Usually in these cases the meniscus is stitched back together and bearing weight on the knee can (before six weeks)potentially tear the stitches.

I would estimate (I am an athletic trainer, just like Jim O's dad) that he would need an additional 4-6 weeks of rehabilitation (after the 6 weeks on crutches) to get the muscle back in the quadriceps (it will atrophy a ton when immobilized) During that last 2-4 weeks he would have to start running and trying to get back into football shape.

In the long term, this is a better option than removing part of the meniscus. We don't want another Wadsworth. Just an interesting observation: look at Florida State guys in the NFL - it seems that many of them (more than normal) have serious knee injuries - Wadsworth and Boulware both have had microfracture.

Dude.... I dont know about your prognosis... I am not a professional athelete, but I have had a meniscus tear to BOTH knees, and was on crutches for all of a week for the worse of the two. Rehab for about 4-5 weeks and was back to feeling normal after the 5th week. Who knows how bad it really is, but I really doubt he will be down that long.

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dumb question coming...I probably just missed it, but where exactly was he when he got hurt? Was it on that artificial turf garbage?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The sky is not falling

It sucks true but it is not falling.

Just the improved coaching and X and O's will keep us floating til he gets back and I for one don't think it's that awfully bad.

Someone just has to step up and they will because the coaching is better.

Our O line will struggle but then get better and we will lose 1 or more games than we should have but if he's back by the last half of the season we will begin to roll.

I think we end up 7-9 now but certainly not left for dead.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
krepitch said:
Dumb question coming...I probably just missed it, but where exactly was he when he got hurt? Was it on that artificial turf garbage?

It happened when he was warming up. It didn't happened when he was inside the dome but chances are it had an effect on his knees since it was swollen from Fri-Sun.