Boris Diaw is completely worthless.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Diaw & Brarbosa have both been pretty horrible the last few games. LB hasn't been good since Raja came back and Diaw hasn't been good since 04-05. If they keep laying eggs out there then maybe we need to bench them for a game or two to send them a message that their effort isn't good enough and their minutes aren't guaranteed.

I think Boris is playing on a bad wheel(ankle), Nash has a bad elbow(and possibly shoulder) that is effecting his outside shooting, and I dont know what is wrong with LB, perhaps its only confidence(though he had an elbow injury a few weeks ago). Certainly, the perimeter game has been poor and that effects spacing negatively. I dont like the way Boris seems to have an aversion to finishing, but maybe its the bad wheel. He does look extra slow off the dribble lately. On the positive side, Hill looks great, Skinner is really fitting in and contributing, the chemistry between shawn, amare, and Hill is looking very good, and Raja isnt back, but showing signs. The suns are not playing very well and still winning. Hopefully, they can get healthy and get some confidence back. There is still alot of time and the suns arent the only team having problems. Utah and Dallas have blundered a bit, the rockets continue to have TMAC injury problems, and the spurs have an injured TD. Its early in the season and there is a long way to go. My concerns are that the suns stay within striking distance of the top seed and get healthy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My interpretation on this play was completely different after watching replay. It looked like the opposing player deliberately fell across both of Diaw's ankles and I think D'Antoni was furious the referees did not call a foul. Diaw did eventually end up on the floor going for the ball and this is where it happened. Maybe someone has it on tape and can comment further. However, I think D'Antoni's wrath... "C'mon!" was aimed at the referees.

Even if you buy that his passiveness under the basket (especially the one when he was 1 foot from the rim) is utterly ridiculous. D'Antoni should have been screaming at him for that in the very least.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
ROFL, how could I have not noticed that the first time around? I'm sure I was watching then. Maybe my daughter was distracting me.

OP
OP
JS22

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Maybe Diaw reads the forums.

10 points so far. This is the Diaw I expect to see every game.

SactownSunsFan

Welcome to the Age of Ayton
Reaction score
Yep. Diaw looks like an entirely different player when he plays aggresively like he is tonight. Why he doesn't do this more consistently is beyond me.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It was great to see Diaw go aggressively to the basket right away and keep doing it. Boris has shown up tonight and he left Doris at home.....let's hope she stays there.

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
looks like someone got in diaws ear. total 180 from yesterday.

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
My interpretation on this play was completely different after watching replay. It looked like the opposing player deliberately fell across both of Diaw's ankles and I think D'Antoni was furious the referees did not call a foul. Diaw did eventually end up on the floor going for the ball and this is where it happened. Maybe someone has it on tape and can comment further. However, I think D'Antoni's wrath... "C'mon!" was aimed at the referees.

Leander said tonight that D'Antoni was yelling at Diaw, and also confirmed that the coaches specifically told him to turn it up a notch. LB said something revealing in the post-game interview when asked about Diaw. He said Diaw was great and all he needed was confidence. Something about the way he said it (and the fact that he was just repeating platitudes for the rest of the interview) made me think that this was a talking point within the team -- i.e., that there's an intervention going on within the team to boost Boris' confidence.

Who knows? He sure looked better tonight, though. Wow. He really is a matchup nightmare for teams when he plays well -- point guard skills, tall, great outside shot, good ability to drive, great passer, and smart. Gives me hope, though, since it suggests that whatever the problem is, it's in his head and not a physical thing. Hopefully he can keep this up.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leander said tonight that D'Antoni was yelling at Diaw, and also confirmed that the coaches specifically told him to turn it up a notch. LB said something revealing in the post-game interview when asked about Diaw. He said Diaw was great and all he needed was confidence. Something about the way he said it (and the fact that he was just repeating platitudes for the rest of the interview) made me think that this was a talking point within the team -- i.e., that there's an intervention going on within the team to boost Boris' confidence.

Who knows? He sure looked better tonight, though. Wow. He really is a matchup nightmare for teams when he plays well -- point guard skills, tall, great outside shot, good ability to drive, great passer, and smart. Gives me hope, though, since it suggests that whatever the problem is, it's in his head and not a physical thing. Hopefully he can keep this up.

Sounds like the "you better get it together or get benched" speech to me. First lets see if this lasts more then one game. Second, I think its pretty sad if it took someone else to motivate Diaw to perform up to his ability. Third, if that truly is the case it won't last.

However, I am thrilled there was a siting of "Contract Year Diaw".

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I heard another tidbit in the post game KTAR radio show with Kevin Ray. He said that Marcus Banks isn't playing because of Marcus Banks......apparently he said that he would like Banks to play more, but that the coaching staff can't reward a guy with playing time when he doesn't put in the effort in practice, doesn't do the extra work other players are doing (getting there early, staying late, etc). So apparently Banks has a poor work ethic and that's why he's not playing.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
By the stats, Boris stepped up when the team needed him tonight.

I wish he did it more often, but it's a good start.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I heard another tidbit in the post game KTAR radio show with Kevin Ray. He said that Marcus Banks isn't playing because of Marcus Banks......apparently he said that he would like Banks to play more, but that the coaching staff can't reward a guy with playing time when he doesn't put in the effort in practice, doesn't do the extra work other players are doing (getting there early, staying late, etc). So apparently Banks has a poor work ethic and that's why he's not playing.
That's great, but Banks' minutes are going to Nash, Barbosa, Raja and Grant Hill. I don't think any of those guys sees the extra PT as a suitable reward for his hard work. :lol:

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score

Thats a little hard to buy. Multiple articles over the summer and earlier in the season said he had been very humble with his benching, had done everything the coaches asked of him, and this year was going to be different. Now all the sudden he is slacking off, complaining, and worth benching at the risk that nash blows his back out in back to back games?

Sorry, gross mismanagement and irrational decision making are the only believable answers now.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

Yeah, this isn't a new thing for Banks.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats a little hard to buy. Multiple articles over the summer and earlier in the season said he had been very humble with his benching, had done everything the coaches asked of him, and this year was going to be different. Now all the sudden he is slacking off, complaining, and worth benching at the risk that nash blows his back out in back to back games?

Sorry, gross mismanagement and irrational decision making are the only believable answers now.
I remember Banks refusing to play for the Suns summer league team and then begrudgingly agreeing to do it later. Then he plays 1 game and leaves the team with an "Injury".....

I haven't seen any recent articles about Banks being a good teammate or busting his butt in practice or anything other than his Thanksgiving food drive that he did. Kevin Ray has an insider track with the team so I would think his info would be accurate.

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
Almost as if he could sense that the collective Suns base was giving up on him for good after his disaterous Indiana outing, Diaw bounced back last game and decided to take it to the hole ever time he had the ball.

Was the last game a fluke? Will he revert back to "comically unselfish/worthless" Diaw?

Stargazer

Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot to dislike about Diaw's play so far this year, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't partly D'Antoni's fault. At least in public, he's constantly saying that he wants Diaw to be the distributor and doesn't care if actually scores a lot. If he has been telling Diaw that in private as well (which seems possible) then it may well be that Diaw has been simply trying to do what the coaches want him to do. Then they tell him to be more aggressive, and he complies. Hard to know without inside information.

But it does seem strange that Diaw would simply refuse to take the easy points. I don't buy the "no guts" argument -- dunking in someone's face doesn't really take physical courage, after all. Nor is it somehow "easier" to make an extra pass than to take the shot. If anything, making the pass takes a lot more effort, which is why guys rarely do it. And it's hard to believe that it's an ability problem -- Diaw is smart, and he's been playing long enough to know what he can and can't do around the basket. I really don't know the answer, but I've got a hunch that coaching plays a big part in it.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There's a lot to dislike about Diaw's play so far this year, but I can't help but wonder if it isn't partly D'Antoni's fault. At least in public, he's constantly saying that he wants Diaw to be the distributor and doesn't care if actually scores a lot.
That makes sense. At Diaw's size, he's not going to overpower any Center or Power Forward playing Center.

So how can he turn his presence at Center into a positive (in the mind of Mike "Even small ball is too tall" D'Antoni)? As a unique Point Center.

Then ridiculing him for it in public.

Not a confidence builder.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if his main plus is his playmaking ability, and hill is a great playmaker, why do we STILL suck when nash is out?

it's the coach.

he still doesn't get that most players need sets out of which to play if steve nash isn't creating. and i don't think coach d is flexible enough to add the sets necessary to take advantage of his player's skills. more and more i am down on coach d.

and boris is soft soft soft soft soft soft.