• Bridges

• DiVincenzo and Miami 2021

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Bridges is pretty close to Shawn Marion so I think he can and will play minutes at the 4.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not a tweener at all he's a SF and a wing. He's a legit 6'7

I guess it's incorrect to call him a tweener. He can play some PF in the current NBA the same way Marion did. So it's tough to correctly label him so long as people are still stuck in the previous NBA format of a PG, SG, SF, PF, C because currently it's looking more and more like the PG, Wing, Wing, Wing, C sort of future is what we'll be seeing. At the least modern frontcourts are turning into more of a Center with 2 Forwards rather than a Small and Power Forward.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The second-guessing thread here.

Getting everything you get in one player with Bridges is really rare.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Absolutely Bridges. #1 Wing in the entire draft. And the Miami pick is literally 3 years away. Even assuming a Miami rebuild, who's to say they will still be rebuilding in 2021? Pat Riley doesn't seem to be someone that would be satisfied with losing for that long.

Miami hasn't had 3 consecutive losing seasons since they were created back in 1988-1991. They simply don't string bad seasons together that would put them in a position for a top 5 pick.
You don't know where that pick will fall. Then, it will be a baby draft, so the player you pick will be 2-3 years away from contributing. We need production now. Everyone worries about putting a team around Booker. That has to happen now. It's not just about the value of the player picked, its about the timing.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo whiffed badly twice yesterday and I don't think that should be overlooked so quickly. Yes the draft can get confusing with a lot happening but he made 2 horrible calls, saying the Suns were making a trade with the Clippers when it was in fact Charlotte and the Clippers doing a deal and then saying the Suns had selected DiVincenzo and actually tweeting that out while they were working a deal with Philly. Yes, plans change, but his sources within the Suns front office aren't as reliable as they once were and this draft is evidence of that. I think everything he reports about the Suns going forward needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt because he's not going to admit his mistakes and try to temper expectations with what he says about the Suns plans in free agency. He hasn't hit on anything really during the McD era and shouldn't be referenced as a major insider until their is a significant change within the Suns front office.
His sources were perfect. His ability to read texts is suspect. He had the info on the Clippers trade. He just read it wrong. His info on Donte was correct, the Suns just got a call at the last minute. Those are the facts. You cannot discredit his sources based on yesterday.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If 2018 Bridges was in last year's draft, where would he slot?

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

He almost came out last year, and I remember being pretty high on him despite the fact that he averaged less than 10 ppg. His defense and shooting efficiency were amazing, which counteracted concerns of him never being "the guy". To my recollection, he was generally viewed as a late-lottery prospect had he come out, though he obviously could have fallen had he been scrutinized more.

Since then, he's shown he can be a top player, nearly doubled his scoring output while maintaining his ridiculously impressive efficiency, and helped lead his team to a decisive national championship (2 in 3 years). So if I had to guess...he probably would have been behind Jackson and Tatum, right there in the discussion with Isaac. Maybe between picks 6-10, leaning towards the 6 area.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, this is a message board. I'm not sure why you're expecting everyone to go along with you like sheep, but it is what it is.

You said that we can't rely on Bridges to be a PF for very long. I asked why, since you didn't provide an explanation. When you finally did, you made a point to come back and attack me personally and then go on after I defend myself and say I'm ignoring evidence. I actually never replied to your "evidence," so you're making stuff up to support your inherent need to insult posters. I never even disagreed with your evidence. You took it upon yourself to assume that based on me defending myself against your baseless attacks. And THEN you decide crying and taking your ball home is the optimal solution. Really?
Eric. Saying "you always agree with management after the fact" is not evidence. Saying "since you did not respond to my evidence, I assume I am right" is not proof. Its beneath you actually. You are a better poster than that.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The Suns just had to make this trade, didn't they. If they would have taken Ayton and DiVincenzo then everybody would still be getting along. Instead they traded 16 and the Heat pick for a tweener forward and everybody views his fit differently, thus questioning the trade and the assets involved.
Spot on. What fun would the forum be if they had stayed and gone with DiVincenzo? ;)

As for the actual poll. I'm good with Bridges. The Suns got two top-10 players - the best overall and arguably the best at his position. The way the draft will change starting next season and Miami's ability to rebuild quickly (as previously mentioned); there's no guarantee it would have been a decent pick at all.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I guess it's incorrect to call him a tweener. He can play some PF in the current NBA the same way Marion did. So it's tough to correctly label him so long as people are still stuck in the previous NBA format of a PG, SG, SF, PF, C because currently it's looking more and more like the PG, Wing, Wing, Wing, C sort of future is what we'll be seeing. At the least modern frontcourts are turning into more of a Center with 2 Forwards rather than a Small and Power Forward.

...and with today's FULL switch D, you rarely guard the guy you started with. I'm old school, but since the NBA refuses to play along with me I'm reserved to accepting that the PF and C positions are put on pause for a while. While Bridges is traditional 3, he fits what teams want to do nowadays at 3 and 4. But it's probably more helpful to talk about him in an example:

If we're playing GS, Bridges has the natural ability to guard Klay, Iggy, and Durant (yes, I realize KD is almost unguardable), and can hinder Steph better than most PFs with his agility and long arms. If he's on Green at the 4 that's a win for us as Green is hardly a problem in the post. Green also isn't a very good offensive rebounder (84th) so his size advantage isn't as much of a problem as you'd think. He could even guard the likes of Zaza on switches (although certainly on a limited basis). So he can literally guard any position on the floor against the returning champs.

So our D could look like:

Steph - BK
Klay - Book
Durant - JJ
Green - Ayton
Iggy - Bridges

That isn't a bad match up even though the obvious conclusion is that GS wins... for now. But in 3 years... the tide will turn.

On offense, he fits the Wing - Wing - Wing model at the 2-3-4. Plus he can drive and finish strong. Ayton is going to cover A LOT of holes so we can afford to lose a little power at our 4 when we gain outside shooting. I LOVE the idea of this team. I can't wait to see it come to life.(This model seems awfully similar to the Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Clyde Drexler, Robert Horry, Hakeem Olajuwon.)

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...and with today's FULL switch D, you rarely guard the guy you started with. I'm old school, but since the NBA refuses to play along with me I'm reserved to accepting that the PF and C positions are put on pause for a while. While Bridges is traditional 3, he fits what teams want to do nowadays at 3 and 4. But it's probably more helpful to talk about him in an example:

If we're playing GS, Bridges has the natural ability to guard Klay, Iggy, and Durant (yes, I realize KD is almost unguardable), and can hinder Steph better than most PFs with his agility and long arms. If he's on Green at the 4 that's a win for us as Green is hardly a problem in the post. Green also isn't a very good offensive rebounder (84th) so his size advantage isn't as much of a problem as you'd think. He could even guard the likes of Zaza on switches (although certainly on a limited basis). So he can literally guard any position on the floor against the returning champs.

So our D could look like:

Steph - BK
Klay - Book
Durant - JJ
Green - Ayton
Iggy - Bridges

That isn't a bad match up even though the obvious conclusion is that GS wins... for now. But in 3 years... the tide will turn.

On offense, he fits the Wing - Wing - Wing model at the 2-3-4. Plus he can drive and finish strong. Ayton is going to cover A LOT of holes so we can afford to lose a little power at our 4 when we gain outside shooting. I LOVE the idea of this team. I can't wait to see it come to life.
We need to be thinking about matching up with Philly, not GS. That will be the rivalry in 3-4 years.

I think GS is going to have some difficulties holding that team together. Players will leave in free agency. Also, that team is built on a certain chemistry, not just star players. It is amazing how just a few changes in personnel or injuries can alter that.

It reminds me of one of the most amazing things about LeBron. The dude is made of steel. His minutes, age, style of play etc. And has he EVER been injured? Amazing.

Your matchup against GS does show us something. We need a quality defensive pg AND Booker has to improve his D, he just has to.

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I would have him ahead of De'Aaron Fox, Ball, and Fultz. I would have had him ahead of Tatum only because his film on the defensive end was a joke. (Hindsight proves me somewhat wrong as he's worked on it, but still isn't great).

However the NBA minds really liked guys like Ball and Fultz so if we could compose an intellectual amalgam of the NBA FOs I'd imagine he'd go ahead of Fox at #5 Behind Fultz, Ball, Tatum and JJ.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would have him ahead of De'Aaron Fox, Ball, and Fultz. I would have had him ahead of Tatum only because his film on the defensive end was a joke. (Hindsight proves me somewhat wrong as he's worked on it, but still isn't great).

However the NBA minds really liked guys like Ball and Fultz so if we could compose an intellectual amalgam of the NBA FOs I'd imagine he'd go ahead of Fox at #5 Behind Fultz, Ball, Tatum and JJ.
I would say he is a top 5 pick in most drafts, just because of his complete game. He really has no holes in his game except maybe his handle.

One of the NBA.com analysts said that he reminds him of...then he hesitated and finally just said it...Scottie Pippen.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I love Bridges. He is the guy who adds two things to the team that they currently don't have. He is a really good defender, and he is an excellent shooter. He also seems to have really good basketball IQ. It creates a bit of a logjam, and I hate trading unprotected picks, but as many pointed out, Miami is NOT going to be that bad. So I am on board with this trade.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I love Bridges. He is the guy who adds two things to the team that they currently don't have. He is a really good defender, and he is an excellent shooter. He also seems to have really good basketball IQ. It creates a bit of a logjam, and I hate trading unprotected picks, but as many pointed out, Miami is NOT going to be that bad. So I am on board with this trade.

Totally agree. The Suns are a pathetic shooting team... and it’s not even worth bringing up their defense.
JJ shows potential, but he’s still a below average shooter and has a ton to learn defensively...
Bridges will be 22 years old at the start of the season, so he brings some maturity to boot. I love this trade!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is the best draft in Suns history, and it's not close.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I agree that it is (potentially) the best Suns draft - at least in recent history. The Suns have had some pretty good drafts, pre-Sarver. Of course, the draft was more than two rounds back in the day. We'll see if everyone pans out.

I admit to being a bit torn - I really liked Donte and think bringing him in would have still made it a great draft without giving up any assets. Bridges is good, too - my only question there is the overabundance of talent we have at the same position.

I am not so upset about the Miami pick, as it is a mere abstraction at this point. It may be a blunder in retrospect (i.e., Knight trade) - but hindsight is always 20-20.

But I can give credit to McD for trying something ambitious, whether it works out or not. I honestly believe it will be a success, and we are on an upward arc, even quite possibly to the point we may not care about the MIA pick in three years, regardless.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Miami pick isn't going to be as great as you think it will be.
Chap you can say that for the next three years but no one knows.

I recall hearing the same about the lakers pick. “They’re a premier FA destination” “Lebron is going to go there” Yada yada yada. It ended up the 10th pick in a loaded draft which seems between “it’s an invaluable asset” and “it isn’t going to be as great as you think.”

If that pick ends up 10th in what should be a great draft if they do away with the one and done rule it would be like we traded Bridges three years early for DiVincenzo (apparently) and the equivalent of Bridges three years later.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges 40 32.1 17.7 5.3 1.9 1.5 1.1 1.4 .514 .851 .435
Donte DiVincenzo 40 29.3 13.4 4.8 3.5 1.1 0.2 2.0 .481 .710 .401

Playing on the same team, in similar minutes, Bridges was significantly more efficient. Add to that the EIGHT inches difference in wingspan, and I'd say it's a pretty significant upgrade.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The Suns just had to make this trade, didn't they. If they would have taken Ayton and DiVincenzo then everybody would still be getting along. Instead they traded 16 and the Heat pick for a tweener forward and everybody views his fit differently, thus questioning the trade and the assets involved.
I don’t think Bridges is a tweeter forward. He’s a small forward. His 6’7 and 210lbs frame are not a PF’s frame. The introduction and acceptance of “small ball” has lead people to (imo) misidentify players. Saying that someone could play a small ball PF is more saying they could play out of position than that they are a tweeter. Rather, a tweener is someone whose game and/or body does not ideally fit one or the other description. Kevin Knox is a tweener (6’9 but somewhat of a perimeter-oriented game) while Bridges is a SF who could be called upon to play small ball PF. At least that’s the way I see it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05